Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th July 2012, 00:48   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Rentals and me - driving in US

Saddled with a lousy 2011 Corolla LE this time from Hertz. It has run about 36K miles and looks much older from outside. The car behaves well though. Average rental is about $190 per week with GPS in New England area.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 00:52   #152
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Saddled with a lousy 2011 Corolla LE this time from Hertz. It has run about 36K miles and looks much older from outside. The car behaves well though. Average rental is about $190 per week with GPS in New England area.
Price is not bad, hows the weather, heard of lobsters going very cheap this year.
ritz3645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 01:26   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Also a few more tips for newbies.

- Do not pass a parked school bus with flashing lights. It is illegal. Also school districts have very conservative speed limits. Make sure you don't go over them.
- Do not drive in the carpool lane unless you have a passenger/2 passengers depending upon the rule.
- If a cop pulls you over, wait in the car with your hands visible on the wheel. Do not get out of the car and start arguing you may get shot .
Adding to my 2 cents
1. Be careful and yield while taking left turn if there is no green arrow.
2. Stick to speed limits
3. Get a GPS with lane assist feature
4. Always look over your shoulders while changing lanes.
5. Read the DMV rules of the state, state laws differ state to state
6. Never drink and drive , even texting while driving is an offense in GA.
7. Finally simply know all the rules and follow the rules

Last edited by tj123 : 20th July 2012 at 01:34. Reason: typo
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 02:47   #154
Senior - BHPian

I have rented quite a few cars in the US, but most of them are usual suspects - Fusion, Impala, Jetta, Charger etc.

Also since I have President's Club status with Avis, I get an SUV when I reserve mid-size etc. And most of the times, its been a Ford Edge. Also drove a GMC Terrain all the way to the Grand Canyon from the Bay Area.
Fountainheader is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2012, 23:43   #155
BHPian

My recent 3 week trip to Boston and San Diego was probably the best I ever had in terms of car rental.
Boston 1st leg - Volvo S60
San Diego 1st leg - Nissan Versa
Boston 2nd leg - Infiniti G27
San Diego 2nd leg - Nissan Altima

All these rentals were from Budget and booked as compact and upgraded to Full or Premium segments other than the Versa.
acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:41   #156
BHPian

I'll be needing a car for a week in Bay Area from July 27th. Which is the cheapest option right now?
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2012, 12:44   #157
BHPian

My wife & I go to the US Southern States most years flying into Orlando and three years ago we had joined one of the large airline 'clubs' to see what deals we could get for flights and three weeks car hire.

Their preferred retal agent was Hertz, a company I'd never used as they were always too expensive for me, however after a little searching on Hertz's web site I scored a Cadillac for three weeks for only 395 inclusive of all taxes and insurances - result!

We arrived at the Hertz counter about 7 in the evening and presented my pre-booking voucher, to where the young lady behind the counter tells me all the Cadillacs were gone! All she could offer me of a similar size was a Mercury Grand Marquis. Deeply disappointed I explained to the young lady that the driving part of our vaction was very important to me and I had paid for a Luxury car, not a Large car. She asked me to wait and she would speak with the Manager ........ a few minutes later she came back and said that there was a car on the lot we could have for exactly the same price but she wasn't sure if it was big enough for us?

I asked which one, whereupon she pointed out the window and said "the yellow and black one" ................

What do you think my answer was?
Argyll is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 15:14   #158
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Completed by short US trip and came 2 weeks back. Was very curious to rent (got my corporate coupon code also) a car, but as my workplace and hotel is very near, there was no need and it really curtailed my "driving" desire in US.

But went through the Minnesota's drivers manual line by line. It was very comprehensive and should be useful for me atleast next time.

Thanks for all the tips given by US gurus.
RGK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 04:51   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
My recent 3 week trip to Boston and San Diego was probably the best I ever had in terms of car rental.

Boston 2nd leg - Infiniti G27

All these rentals were from Budget and booked as compact and upgraded to Full or Premium segments other than the Versa.
I am sure you must have meant G37. There is no G27. There is G25 which will be discontinued from next year.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 16:27   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
I am sure you must have meant G37. There is no G27. There is G25 which will be discontinued from next year.
Sorry I meant G25. Not sure why I wrote 27.
I heard that Infiniti is planning to discontinue G25. I guess there were very small differences between 37 and 25 other than the engine size. My sister drives a 37 and I drove 25 and 37 back to back, other than straight line acceleration of 37 I frankly didn't find any change in driving dynamics.
acurafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2012, 20:53   #161
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acurafan View Post
Sorry I meant G25. Not sure why I wrote 27.
I heard that Infiniti is planning to discontinue G25. I guess there were very small differences between 37 and 25 other than the engine size. My sister drives a 37 and I drove 25 and 37 back to back, other than straight line acceleration of 37 I frankly didn't find any change in driving dynamics.
G25 has a little inferior interior quality compared to G37. Also the difference in price is not much so most people end up with G37. The G25 was suppose to go head on with 325i and c200 and c250 but no one bought it. So they are getting rid of that. Reports are there that it may soon get a turbo charged 4 cylinder to slot below G37. Not everyone wants a v6.

The driving dynamics would be more or less the same, just the performance will be affected. IMO, it makes perfect sense to get rid of G25. Have not seen a single piece till date on road.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2012, 06:26   #162
Senior - BHPian

Drove a rental 2012 Nissan Altima 2.5S from Advantage car rental the last week.
My parents came to visit me in US and we decided to cover Washington DC and Niagara in one trip.

Flew down to DCA and took out the car (had around 7700 miles on the odo) and spent 1 and half days in DC. The city handling is good with sharp braking. No rear parking sensors / camera though.
True keyless system with push button start is a nice to have feature.

Drove for 3-4 hours next day to stop at a relatives place in Pennsylvania, before continuing the next day for 6 hours drive to Niagara Falls.
The highway handling was nice - better than the Focus that I had rented out for a same day return trip between Boston and New Jersey.

A day later, drove back from Niagara - again to stop at a friend's place in PA, and continued the next day for a 4 hour drive back at DCA.

Drove 1200+ miles in the trip for a combined FE of 28 mpg. Used the 6 speed sequential box quite frequently in the smaller rolling hills of upstate NY, and to downshift and pass on the interstates.
The CVT box was ok for smooth driving, but not for passing on the interstates.

A picture of the car:

Rentals and me - driving in US-dscn6740.jpg
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 13:27   #163
Senior - BHPian

Planning for a personal US trip sometime in Oct 12. I was wondering which is a good car rental website where I get a good comprehensive deal. I came across -

1. carrentals.com
2. rentalcars.com
3.hotwire.com

Does anyone have any experience (Good/Bad) using these a[COLOR=black][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]ggregators?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 18:40   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan
Planning for a personal US trip sometime in Oct 12. I was wondering which is a good car rental website where I get a good comprehensive deal. I came across -

1. carrentals.com
2. rentalcars.com
3.hotwire.com

Does anyone have any experience (Good/Bad) using these aggregators?
Also try one of the European sites e.g. carhire3000.com. Their prices includes insurance.
rtandon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2012, 19:19   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post

1. carrentals.com
2. rentalcars.com
3.hotwire.com

Does anyone have any experience (Good/Bad) using these a[COLOR=black][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]ggregators?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Hotwire in general gives a good rate unless there are special events in that city. Hotwire also has the option of selling a comprehensive Car Rental insurance which turn out much cheaper than what you get from the rantal companies. I use the American Express premium auto insurance which is $17.95 for the rental period up to 30 days. carhire3000.com which is the UK version of rentalcars.com also is quite economical given it includes LDW in the rate which is quite expensive these days.
In last couple of years I have found better rates from Costco Auto rental website but you need a membership. If you have any friend in US who has Costco membership you can ask them for the membership no. The renter does not need to be a Costco member. For eg, last Dec I rented intermediate size cars for as low as $5.99 a day and Alamo gave me a VW Jetta and Mazda 3 respectively.

Last edited by acurafan : 4th September 2012 at 19:25.
acurafan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote