Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th November 2010, 04:13   #106
BHPian

I had rented cars for quite some time before I bought my own car. The best experiences I have repeatedly had are with Hertz. The worst experience I have had is with Enterprise, Downtown Milwaukee. Once, I was given a Chevy Impala by them but before I could drive out, they requested the keys back and gave the same car to another person who came after me. When I politely protested, they offered me to drive to another location, give me another car. Since the other location was on the way to where I was driving, I agreed. During the drive to the other location (which was 10 miles away, at the airport), the person thanked me for not shouting at him for their mistake and apologized for his boss's behavior. As a gesture of appreciation, he gave me free half tank gas and also gave me an upgrade to a Hyundai Sonata.
Vijay.Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 10:29   #107
Senior - BHPian

@Blackasta: Yep just saw your location. Friend will be moving down to Charlotte most probably next year for his job.

Going to book a car tommorow. Lets see what i get. The place i go to doesnt have a GPS which is annoying!
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 11:56   #108
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vijay.Krishnan View Post
I had rented cars for quite some time before I bought my own car. The best experiences I have repeatedly had are with Hertz. The worst experience I have had is with Enterprise, Downtown Milwaukee. Once, I was given a Chevy Impala by them but before I could drive out, they requested the keys back and gave the same car to another person who came after me. When I politely protested, they offered me to drive to another location, give me another car. Since the other location was on the way to where I was driving, I agreed. During the drive to the other location (which was 10 miles away, at the airport), the person thanked me for not shouting at him for their mistake and apologized for his boss's behavior. As a gesture of appreciation, he gave me free half tank gas and also gave me an upgrade to a Hyundai Sonata.
How does getting a free upgrade to a sonata with half a tank of gas, a free ride 10 miles in the direction you are going and an apology for their mistake count as a bad experience?

Last edited by MX6 : 10th November 2010 at 12:10.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 21:53   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
How does getting a free upgrade to a sonata with half a tank of gas, a free ride 10 miles in the direction you are going and an apology for their mistake count as a bad experience?
You're right. It was actually a good experience to get the free upgrade. But what I meant, and forgot to write in my reply, was that I felt real bad when the same car that had already been assigned to me and keys given to me, was then taken back and given to another customer. And I was made to wait for an hour before the person offered me a drive to the other location and get a different car. Sorry for not being clear last time around. The perils of replying from office with the Manager lurking around.
Vijay.Krishnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 06:50   #110
Senior - BHPian

Default 29-31 October 2010

Car: Volkswagen New Beetle
Destination: Grandfather Mountain, NC

Well fall season was on, and me n my roommate were rearing to get away to the mountains for possibly the last time in 2010.
I called up Enterprise on Friday morning, and Matt was there to pick me up before you know! His first words - 'how do you like this bug, mate?' Yes, he was driving a bright red VW New Beetle.
We spent the 5 minute it takes from my office to the rental agency talking about the car, and citing their unavailability of any compact car (though a Chevy HSS was there, and they could have pushed that onto me), offered me to test the Beetle. I was like 'wow'!

Without much ado I picked up the beetle, and the first thing I notice on the road is the amazing handling of the vehicle - it is just planted to the road!

So while having sumptuous biryani (from Bombay Grille - must check this one one if you are in Charlotte, NC), we planned to visit the Grandfather Mountains in upstate NC on the following Saturday.

Rentals and me - driving in US-map.jpg

We drove out from Charlotte around 9 in the morning, and after some mundane highways, got into a narrow mountain route with swerving curves. Traffic was sparse, and this was the perfect excuse for me to push the beetle to its limits (as far as I could). Traction control kicked in quite a few times, and once I overran the median while taking a tight bend. But oh boy the drive was pure joy!

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_0084.jpg

Finally reached GFM and stopped in the first viewpoint

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5053.jpg

After negotiating some amazing hairpin bends (often featured on car ads in US - as per CD commentary) - we went to the top of the mount car park.

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5057.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5072_stitch.jpg

Then we negotiated a small flight of stairs to encounter the mile high swinging bridge. Luckily the weather was good, and winds were not too strong ( I had encountered this bridge earlier once - when I was the only person on this bridge, and the weather was foggy with high gusts of wind)

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5112.jpg

compare this with the day in June...

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_4700.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_4706.jpg

View from the ledge of the mountain was awesome.

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_0232.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5206.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5209.jpg

It was then time to track back ....

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5226_stitch.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5229.jpg

On our way down, we visited the animal habitats featuring rescued otters, cougars, deer and black bears.

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5239.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5244.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_5252.jpg

This bear deserves a special mention as it is one of the few cinnamon colored black bears ever seen.

After that, it was another 2 hour drive back home with fresh memories and more fun with the bug on road.

Rentals and me - driving in US-dsc_0438.jpg

Coming up soon - November 12-14 weekend, Chevy Cobalt and visit to Congaree National Park, SC.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 07:29   #111
Senior - BHPian

In my trip to US last week, I rented a Chevy Impala LTZ from Hertz. I actually did not want a Chevy as I had previous bad experience with their Cobalt model. But this one turned out to be a bit different with its 3.9L V6 engine. Very interesting car to drive, even though the interiors were somewhat tacky for a car that costs about $35K on road. Guzzles gas like crazy. In the first 200 miles of city drives it consumed about 15 gallons. Still, at about $38 per day it was pretty good deal.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 07:35   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
I am saddled with a Chevy Cobalt here from Enterprise and its the lowest of lowest trims. No central locking, no power windows. Thank god it has a stereo at least. Planning to drive down to NY for the weekend.
Oh bad.. its really a pathetic car to drive. Probably one of the worst model in compact/small car category. Engine is not really "small"at 2.4L. Features are abysmal. I had this in my last trip from Hertz. Drove it from NY to Atlantic City and it felt like somebody need to get out of the car and push it hard to get it moving at some freeway entries and climbs while I stand on the gas pedal.
vasoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:26   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Oh bad.. its really a pathetic car to drive. Probably one of the worst model in compact/small car category. Engine is not really "small"at 2.4L. Features are abysmal. I had this in my last trip from Hertz. Drove it from NY to Atlantic City and it felt like somebody need to get out of the car and push it hard to get it moving at some freeway entries and climbs while I stand on the gas pedal.
I had a cobalt the last week - but none of the problems was faced by me. I had 4 adults and a kid on board, and had no problems cruising at 75-80 or overtaking others. This one had power windows, remote/central lock, auto headlamps etc. The only gripe was back seat dwellers complaining of low seat height and inadequate under thigh support.
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 09:52   #114
Senior - BHPian

Wow what a weekend. Booked a car to drive down to DC. So i had booked an intermediate. Was picked up by enterprise and this was the conversation i had.

Me: Which car will i get now?
Lady: A ford Focus!
Me: You got a mustang??
Lady: No that should be booked in advance!
Me: Any options to upgrade?
Lady: Accord, Suv and Mini SUV
Me: ACCORD BABY! Whats the differnce?
Lady: 230 for 3 days as compared to 180 for a focus.
Me: Give me the accord, would love to drive it
Lady: Cool wil do that!

What a drive it was. Accord is an amazing drive. Maintained 85 in 65 limits. Thank you NC for being scarsely covered by cops!
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 10:05   #115
Team-BHP Support

@maddy42: some states monitor speeding on freeways using aircraft.

I wonder how they would fine a rental car user though. For example one of us from India in the US on a B1 visa using the car with Indian License.
If you get caught on camera breaking the signal. How will they track you.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 10:08   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@maddy42: some states monitor speeding on freeways using aircraft.

I wonder how they would fine a rental car user though. For example one of us from India in the US on a B1 visa using the car with Indian License.
If you get caught on camera breaking the signal. How will they track you.
If the car is caught on camera, the ticket goes to the rental company which would then happily charge it to your credit card.
mohit is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 10:12   #117
Team-BHP Support

and what if the driver wishes to contest it?
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 14:57   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post
If the car is caught on camera, the ticket goes to the rental company which would then happily charge it to your credit card.
They do charge on the card. All fine, tolls etc are collected like that. I used to get the e-tolls charged on my corporate Amex card. A credit card is mandatory in most cases for booking a rental a car in US. You might end up paying by other means though.

Contesting this is difficult as in most cases they will have proof and the car was in your possession during the time.
vasoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 15:01   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I had a cobalt the last week - but none of the problems was faced by me. I had 4 adults and a kid on board, and had no problems cruising at 75-80 or overtaking others. This one had power windows, remote/central lock, auto headlamps etc. The only gripe was back seat dwellers complaining of low seat height and inadequate under thigh support.
The comparison was with my Civic here and it was pathetic with respect to acceleration and overall driveability. My car too was the mid/high end version with a built in GPS system. I believe auto headlamps is mandatory in most states. See a pic of the car I rented at that time.
Attached Images

Old 19th November 2010, 15:23   #120
Senior - BHPian

Here is the Impala I took in my trip last week. It was a fun to revv car. Notice the tiny ORVM?
Attached Images

Last edited by vasoo : 19th November 2010 at 15:25.