Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th November 2010, 15:31   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@maddy42: some states monitor speeding on freeways using aircraft.
I saw many 'speed monitored by aircraft' boards between SFO and LA. My pal who was driving told me they were cock and bull warnings that were put up 2 decades ago!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 19:33   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
In my trip to US last week, I rented a Chevy Impala LTZ from Hertz.
Nice. Those used to be police cars also once upon a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Oh bad.. its really a pathetic car to drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I had a cobalt the last week - but none of the problems was faced by me. I had 4 adults and a kid on board, and had no problems cruising at 75-80 or overtaking others. This one had power windows, remote/central lock, auto headlamps etc.
I've really got a bad piece of this model, i am sure. I drove it to NY last weekend, which is a 4 hour drive one way. And one hour into the drive my right shoulder was aching from keeping the damn tin-box straight and between the two white lines. Couldn't get a replacement in NY either since they are open till noon only on saturdays and sundays they are closed. So had to suffer the same fate on my return. I stopped twice in a 4 hour drive to give my shoulder some rest!!
This Enterprise location that i go to doesnt do a good job of maintaining their cars. My colleague got one which had low air pressure indicator glowing.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 20:35   #123
BHPian

Quote:
and what if the driver wishes to contest it?
I am not sure how that works but I don't think they ask you before charging you the ticket amount.
mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 20:57   #124
BHPian

Quote:
@maddy42: some states monitor speeding on freeways using aircraft.

I wonder how they would fine a rental car user though. For example one of us from India in the US on a B1 visa using the car with Indian License.
If you get caught on camera breaking the signal. How will they track you.
They charge the fine to your credit card. That is why it is mandatory to use the credit card.

They use aircraft on freeways?? Was new information to me.

Anyway My cousin in Chicago was fined last year for speeding from a cop in a helicopter- radioed to a motorcycle cop below to stop him.

His valentine one did not pick up the chopper.

Last edited by Jomz : 19th November 2010 at 21:00.
Jomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 21:03   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

Anyway My cousin in Chicago was fined last year for speeding from a cop in a helicopter- radioed to a motorcycle cop below to stop him.

that is right..aerial surveillance is via Chopper not airplanes.
Virginia and California are the 2 states who use aerial surveillance extensively.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2010, 16:17   #126
Team-BHP Support

Being a gold card holder - booked a hertz car in Orlando for Dec, 6 months in advance. Was told it will be $311

Today, checked the reservation. It was now $550

All other car hire companies were showing similar rates.

Went to a car hire broker - honk car rental

They got me a deal for $220 - cheaper then before with a bigger car
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2010, 01:36   #127
Senior - BHPian

Amazing week. Was in vegas and driving to Grand canyon north rim. Had a chrysler 300 and a chevy softroader for company.

The chevy was very well powered and fun to drive. Chrysler was comfortable and luxurious but very sluggish. Both were a bit more gas guzzlers but trust me its better to be sitting in a nice spacous car driving 300 miles without any sleep than in a cramped location.
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 12:31   #128
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Rentals and me - driving in US

All those of you, who will be driving first time in USA need to remember one very important thing.
By LAW, Driver side ORVM in the USA(which is the left ORVM) has to be 1:1. So objects in the mirror are as far as they appear, not closer than they appear.
However, passenger ORVM is convex, same as India.
This alters your driving style, because it means when you are merging left, your field of view is less, and you need to crane your neck momentarily as the blind spot is greater due to flat mirror.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2011, 11:22   #129
Senior - BHPian

ajmat
who do you normally rent from in the UK?

cheers
SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Being a gold card holder - booked a hertz car in Orlando for Dec, 6 months in advance. Was told it will be $311

Today, checked the reservation. It was now $550

All other car hire companies were showing similar rates.

Went to a car hire broker - honk car rental

They got me a deal for $220 - cheaper then before with a bigger car

Last edited by GTO : 28th February 2011 at 16:05. Reason: Let the answer come on the public forum only. Helps others. No requesting for PM answers please
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 03:55   #130
Senior - BHPian

Well its been long since I updated this thread - so time to throw in some more pictures.
When I moved from Charlotte, NC to Wisconsin - I had to put up in a hotel for a couple of weeks, and as my car was en route on a truck - I had to rent a car for that time for my daily commute to the office.
I was eligible for full refund on a midsize car from my company for 2 weeks, and was provided with the Ford Taurus - Limited edition by Avis in Milwaukee airport.

This car had all the bells and whistles, complete with dual zone ACC, leather seats, bling alloys and rearview camera on IRVM. Ride quality over the potholes (yes there are pothole ridden roads in US). The tires were huge 19" ones and the ride height was almost like a pickup truck.

But the cons severely outweighed the pros in this car - poor FE, bad brakes, boaty handling, and severely restricted rear windshield view made this car difficult one to drive.

No route pictures for this one, as I only used it for commute.

BTW - if you think only Indians love chrome - have a look at the dollops of chrome this car is laden with.
Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090525.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090535.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090541.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090547.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090602.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090612.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090635.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090643.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090709.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110416_090717.jpg
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 10:43   #131
Senior - BHPian

Well I guess not many have been impressed by the Taurus - but a few weeks back I had a real American deal to lay my hands on - A proper American muscle car - The Dodge Challenger!

I went for a camping trip in the Memorial day long weekend to south NJ - and after a flight cancellation and rerouting to Philly on the next day instead of Newark the earlier night - I finally made it.
I don't know why couple of friends arrived in the airport to pick me up in an Altima (really - you had the Challenger dudes!) - but once I reached the campgrounds - there it was - all in white, an icon of a car.

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110530_121737.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110530_121746.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110530_121759.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110530_121819.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110530_122057.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_20110530_122413.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_2102.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-img_2103.jpg

I did very little driving around in this one - but the car feels going at the same rate in 70 as it is in 30 mph - that's something!

It is huge - but being a 2 door coupe the rear seats are cramped and only fit for 2 medium sized adults.

Looked at from a distance - it gets envious stares, but once someone climbs inside, it really cheap black plastic for a car of this iconic in nature. My i10 has better plastic quality than this one!

And build quality - oh my god. While we were returning via the GSP, a constant scraping sound got my attention. We parked on the shoulder, and after investigating saw that the plastic oil sump guard has lost a 'plastic' fastener on one end and was merrily scraping along. One firm tug, and the other side also came out - freeing the hideous thing. We tossed it out and drove along, fearful of other important things breaking down.

But at the end of the day -this is the car you would like to be driving when you vanish into the sunset leaving a trail of burnt rubber behind.
blackasta is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2011, 11:36   #132
Team-BHP Support

well a dodge is a dodge. the only automatic I have managed to stall is the challenger.
I was slowing down a bit too fast at the lights and the auto tranny could not downshift to neutral in time.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 19:56   #133
Senior - BHPian

I have got the weird looking Chevrolet HHR this time. Front has the design of an old truck and the rear looks like as if the designers ran out of ideas.
Havent driven it much yet.
I'll upload some pics later.
amitoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 12:57   #134
BHPian

I was lucky last time I rented car in US. Got a Dodge Caliber for the price of a small car. I haven't driven that much in US to compare it with other cars there, but for me it was just awesome experience. Here are some pics -

Rentals and me - driving in US-20110219_national-zoo-washington-dc_0001.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-20110219_national-zoo-washington-dc_0002.jpg

Rentals and me - driving in US-20110219_national-zoo-washington-dc_0039.jpg
Gandhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 14:26   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomz View Post

Guys, No offense! "Aircraft" is the general term used for both helicopters and airplanes.

Aircraft are vehicles which are able to fly by gaining support from the air, or in general, the atmosphere of a planet
Source: Wikipedia
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote