Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 4th October 2010, 13:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

My word, akj53! What dedication, to provide us with such a rich, detailed ownership and travel experience of your beautiful car (in its beautiful surroundings)! This is truly appreciated.

I especially liked your description of how you overtook the smaller car with minimal fuss. That is how I like my cars to be under normal driving conditions - smooth, effortless and no fuss involved. While the cars are reaching that level of expectation now, I wish I could say the same about our road/traffic conditions.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Wales trip and we hope to see more of these in the days/years to come.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 14:21   #17
BHPian

Congratulations to everybody on India's spectacular win over Australia. In last it became a game of nerves and surprisingly Australia lost their nerves in the end by conceding the last 6 six runs due to their mistakes. But still it was a great match indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
While the cars are reaching that level of expectation now, I wish I could say the same about our road/traffic conditions.

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about your Wales trip and we hope to see more of these in the days/years to come.

Regards,
spadix
It will need a herculean effort to improve our road / traffic conditions but sadly I see it as a distant possibility because of all round ignorance, practically no law enforcement and all round dadagiri on roads by everybody concerned.

We had gone to explore the some hilly areas on last Saturday. I am going to Cardiff today to be with our younger son Rahul, and will post about that visit from there tomorrow. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Sir, many congratulations on the new purchase. A very well written and detailed review. Wishing your son Sidarth many happy miles with the beauty.

And oh, we are waiting for your Jag once you are back in India
Thank you. Sadly we are now allowed to import old cars in India otherwise India would have been flooded by cheap used imports by now. I wish that Tatas start assembling Jaguar & Land Rovers vehicles in India so that they become more affordable.
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2010, 10:57   #18
BHPian

I came to Cardiff few days ago. Could not post further as both my sons are going to Singapore today, so was busy with them. Will post further tomorrow.
Old 22nd October 2010, 15:02   #19
BHPian

I regret I could not post earlier as Siddharth, his wife Anu and my younger son Rahul, all had gone to Singapore for a week and behind them I could not find time to write. Well they came back this Sunday night so I am now free somewhat.

Any how I had written earlier that I scratched our car’s bumper while parking. We got it repaired from the dealer only and had to pay £165 for that. A photo of the scratch is attached.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0475.jpg

Coming up next details of our drive to Derbyshire’s Peak District with photos.
Old 22nd October 2010, 16:19   #20
BHPian

Before coming to Cardiff, we had gone for a drive to a hilly area near Manchester. After filling up the tank, Siddharth gave the car to me. On the highway, one Nissan 350 or 370 Z overtook me at high speed. I started following that. When I saw the speedometer few minutes later, I was surprised to see that I was driving at 115 mph without feeling the speed at all. The car’s composure and stability was remarkable as I don’t feel so confident in my Altis at 115 kmph and here I was doing 185 kmph without even realizing. Well I slowed down and later turned in to a smaller road leading to the mountains. We did not know where we were or where we were going, we were just out to enjoy the drive to the unknown.

The weather was cloudy with intermittent drizzling. After a mile or so, the real hilly area started and the scenery turned to something incredibly beautiful. Deep valleys and rising hills, covered with all encompassing layers of greenery which was freshly bathed in rain and glowing in shimmering sunlight peeping from the cloud covers. No garbage, no plastic, no dust, no pollution and no horns, it was nature in its purest form and I don’t have words to describe that scene. This was the real England.

I regret very much that I could not take photographs as I was driving and Siddharth was busy in appreciating the scenery with his mom. Once I return to Manchester, I would like to repeat that drive and take lots of photographs.
I changed the drive mode to Sports and the difference was immediately noticeable. The torque improved substantially as the engine was revving higher so the full power of 61 Kg torque ensured ferocious acceleration at all times, hills or 2 tonnes of weight not with-standing. While going down engine braking was available so that reduced my braking effort. I tried the pedal shifts also but soon reverted back to auto box as that was more enjoyable. Using pedal shifts are OK when driving on straight roads but on constantly turning roads, it is quite problematic to use. However as a driver, I could only enjoy either the drive or the scenery at a time.

We continued the drive for more than an hour and passed thru few small towns or villages. Lots of cows and sheeps were grazing in the green fields or slopes. Traffic was light and the drive was immensely enjoyable. It was now past 4 p.m. and time for tea. I spotted one hotel with many parked cars.

.......to be contd with photos......
Old 24th October 2010, 11:08   #21
BHPian

The parking was full so we parked on a side road some distance away. When we came to the hotel we found that the hotel was on a hill top and from parking a beautiful valley started. There was a river flowing at the bottom and a railway bridge was also there which looked like abandoned.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0485.jpg

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0486.jpg

Situated at the head of a valley in Derbyshire’s White Peak, the Monsal Head Hotel occupies an enviable position overlooking one of the Peak District’s most beautiful Dales. The high vantage point affords unparalleled views over the valley, the famous railway viaduct, built in 1867, and the River Wye meandering beneath. North along Upperdale leads to Cressbrook, and West takes the eye, and the feet if willing, to the bold escarpment of Fin Cop and its Iron Age hill fort. (whatever that means… phew) The hotel website has more details of the area and some photographs.

Walking, fishing, cycling and historical houses - breaks & holidays in the Peak National Park

continuing..........
Attached Thumbnails
My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0499.jpg  

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0502.jpg  

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0506.jpg  

Old 24th October 2010, 11:26   #22
Team-BHP Support

Ah that scratch looks painful! Glad that you've got it done.

You've got one helluva gorgeous sedan there. The world is a witness to quite a number of them now. And I must say, those wheels suit the XF like nothing else, really! One question though, why the black grille?
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2010, 11:28   #23
BHPian

These photos are from the nearby area.

Name:  wpc441111a.png
Views: 1802
Size:  199.3 KB

Siddharth took some photographs and then went with his mother to explore the hotel and nearby area. I remained seated on a bench, taking in the scenery. Then a beautiful fragile looking vintage car finished in red and pearl colour, drove in and out came a dignified couple of equally vintage times. The lady went inside the hotel and the gentleman remained standing near the car. Siddharth had taken the iphone with him, so I could not take the photos but went to the owner. He told me that the car was a 1947 Riley and It was beautifully maintained. He was member of a Riley Owners club so maintenance and parts was not a problem. We chatted for few minutes and out came the lady and they drove off. I kept standing there for some time musing about the feeling of driving in such a car at a gentle pace, preferably with open top or windows rolled down, in such a pristine environment and that too in a ‘bheega bheega samaan’. That would have been a real royal experience of a bygone era, sigh…..

I really miss the opportunity of not photographing the car and its perfectly matched owner. I searched the net and found some photographs of the Riley cars, which I am attaching.

Name:  Riley_badge.png
Views: 2106
Size:  29.6 KB

Name:  800pxRiley_RMA_BW_1.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  riley rmb inside rear.gif
Views: 1844
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  riley rmb dash.gif
Views: 2091
Size:  53.3 KB

Name:  riley rmb inside.gif
Views: 1804
Size:  48.3 KB

final part to come ………….
Attached Images

Old 24th October 2010, 19:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
You've got one helluva gorgeous sedan there. The world is a witness to quite a number of them now. And I must say, those wheels suit the XF like nothing else, really! One question though, why the black grille?
Thank you. The Sports model is configured by default with black grille and 'Piano Black' wood. I would also have loved to have the chromed grille and Burr Walnut wood trim but that would have meant a factory order with 2 months delivery period and we could not wait that long.
Old 26th October 2010, 11:34   #25
BHPian

We had our tea inside a lounge furnished like an old British club. An elegantly dressed pretty young girl served us pots of tea, French fries and assorted breads with various accompaniments, completing our British experience for the day. We enjoyed the evening thoroughly and then we headed back home driven by Siddharth. The light was fading fast and it was drizzling so I told him to hurry and get to some main road fast. The navigation system was a boon in such a situation as we did not know the area at all. Still we did not follow the Satnav blindly and did not go to various suggested smaller roads. I shot few photos and videos this time. The scenery here was less spectacular but still great. I am attaching few photographs and a video which are not very clear this time, due to speed.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0521.jpg

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0524.jpg

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0526.jpg

Siddharth was pushing the car hard whenever he got the road. But even on twisties under speed, we did not feel the speed at all on the front seats. But on the back seats, one keeps slipping to left or right while cornering under speed. Car’s stability and pulling power is really remarkable.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0530.jpg

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0535.jpg

Since most of the things are automatic, only steering, accelerator or brakes are used mostly and driver is free to concentrate on his driving. Here nobody uses high beams so even the dipper / main beam stalk is not used. Horn is also a forbidden item. Steering feels perfectly weighted at all speeds and gearbox is absolutely delightful. In dark, the soft blue mood lighting is very soothing. The only negative inside the cabin, which I can think of, is absence of real time fuel consumption indicator. All in all it makes for a delightful driving experience which coupled with the road / traffic conditions is very different than what we are used to back home.

Old 26th October 2010, 11:52   #26
BHPian

Our E-39 BMW 525i was also an outstanding machine with remarkable grip and composure. In 2008, we were coming back to Manchester from London in night. Rain was pouring and highway was practically deserted. I increased the speed and within no time Siddharth intervened, ‘Papa you are doing 195’. I was so surprised I had not felt the speed at all. However in comparison BMW felt big and heavy while Jaguar feels like a light footed athlete.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0536.jpg

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0541.jpg

After driving the car in town for few days, the average FE had dipped to 24+ mpg. This improved to 26.6 when Siddharth drove the car 450 kms to Heathrow, while going to Singapore. As we do not reset the meter so this was the overall average. While coming back, I told him to reset the meter to check the highway mileage. It reported 40.4 mpg (14.3 kmpl) which is not bad for a car of this weight with a 6 cylinder engine. I hope it will further improve to 45 mpg after some time as Jaguar claims 51 mpg under standard conditions. The combined mileage should settle down in mid 30s.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0543.jpg

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0549.jpg

We hope to visit Scotland in 1st week of November and after Diwali I will go back to India. There is a Concorde based at Manchester airport. I will try my best to see that before going back.

My trip of U.K., in our Jaguar XF-img_0554.jpg
Old 26th October 2010, 12:07   #27
BHPian

Nice pictures the landscapes are beautiful. Jaguar XF: looks nice I think in the video you might be doing about 100mph.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2010, 16:13   #28
BHPian

Default Thread Separated

This thread has been separated from my earlier owner ship thread of Jaguar XF. Those who have not seen that, can please see the same on

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ip-report.html (Jaguar XF. Initial Ownership report)

@gajadonga

Excellent judgement. Yes the techometer is showing 2000 + rpm in the video. That means about 100 mph speed. But we never noticed that while driving.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 27th October 2010, 15:20   #29
BHPian

Thank you sir for the beautiful writeup and pictures. The pictures brought back memories of a recent trip to Truro in Cornwall. The countryside in UK is really beautiful and extremely well maintained.The discipline on road was a revelation to me, this being my first trip abroad. If only we could maintain such discipline and responsibility, India would have achieved great heights.
And that is a beautiful car.I am also hoping like noopster, that my son will provide me with such delights! He has already set his eyes on Ferrari!

Last edited by Deep Blue : 27th October 2010 at 15:34.
Deep Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2010, 18:49   #30
BHPian

The Jaguar XF is a superb car. Great pics and beautiful roads. The whole package seems perfect. Cheers.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote