Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 11:43   #151
BHPian
 
MohsinRoadster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 301
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Looks like its time to come down south for Tigers
300 tigers roam Karnataka’s forests - Bangalore - DNA
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 12:58   #152
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Back to Nagpur after 3 relaxed days in Pench.
Targetted only collarwali and her cubs in all my drives.

Summary of my visit: 6 drives, 4 sightings of collarwali - twice with cubs, 30 GB of photos.
The best sighting of the cubs was in the last drive yesterday evening.

Pics coming soon. Stay tuned.

@mohsin: some really good news filtering through with regards to tiger census reports. I will go through the report in full and give my reflections and inputs.

Regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 13:53   #153
Senior - BHPian
 
fazalaliadil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 2,022
Thanked: 624 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
A sigh of relief. Study shows rise in Tiger population.
Mohsin,
Its good news that the Karnataka forests have gained in tiger numbers. Which is due to actual increase + honest 2009 census, unlike their A.P. counterparts who blew the figures to 95 in (A.P. state forest dept. census) 2009 and now 65 in (NTCA/ Center census) 2010.

When there is an all India increase trend, why the decline trend in A.P. and (Pench and Kanha) M.P. inspite of recorded (2010-11) multiple litters in both states???

Also the Sunderbans count of 70 was not recorded in earlier census, which boosts in the present count.

The increase is spread over 4 years (2006-2010) averaging to about 74 per year. Still dismal if you consider that, in 2008, India lost 65 tigers due to various reasons (officially admitted) and about the same number in the preceeding year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
The best sighting of the cubs was in the last drive yesterday evening.

I will go through the report in full and give my reflections and inputs.
Dr. Ghosh,
Awaiting the family potraits of the original Collarwali.

Also your valuable inputs reg. the tiger numbers.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 21:32   #154
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

How about this:

In the beginning of 1970s the Government of India had pressed the panic button as there were less than 1800 tigers in the wild and Project Tiger was born. Forty years later we have less than 1800 tigers and "its good news."

Can somebody explain this to me?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 21:58   #155
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 704 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How about this:

In the beginning of 1970s the Government of India had pressed the panic button as there were less than 1800 tigers in the wild and Project Tiger was born. Forty years later we have less than 1800 tigers and "its good news."

Can somebody explain this to me?
This is where we miss the 'like' button in Tbhp. That was a great perspective!!

gd sir, you people are doing a great job - you at the North, Doctor at Central India and Sarmarishi at NE keeping a tab on the health of our wildlife sanctuaries. Hope there was someone at south too from Team-bhp (though we have occassional reports from Fazal sa'ab and DKG sir at Srisailam). But I think it is more difficult in Karnataka and Kerala due to the heavier restrictions here (there was one Vinay Pillai in our midst, but he has gone awol)
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2011, 19:34   #156
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Saharukh - the bold tiger cub from the present litter of collarwali

1400 or 1800 or for that matter 40,000 (the figure 100 years back) is a very small figure that can represent a species.

These numbers are like the few grains of rice that get left behind after all the rice from a container has been utilised.

40000 to less than 4000 in 100 years......... You can very well imagine what numbers will be left 5 years down the line if there is even a small let up in the conservation efforts.

Its time to have a rain check friends and refrain from any celebrations. Its time we strive harder to conserve the small remaining pockets at various places and strive for a genetic redistribution of the species for better chances of survival.

And if you want to see wild tigers in your lifetime, I think the time is running out fast..........

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing my story for Tiger population revival at Pench here are some pics from the last weekend (where I had Tiger sightings in 4 out of the 6 drives that I did in the park).

I was successful in getting good shots of the cubs again and could ascertain that there are 2 males and 1 female in the litter of 5. Could not get to know the sex of the other 2 yet.

I have named one of the bolder male cub - Shahrukh for the way he flaunts himself.

Enjoy this very special image from last wee :

Saharukh:
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-shahrukh001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
This is where we miss the 'like' button in Tbhp. That was a great perspective!!

gd sir, you people are doing a great job - you at the North, Doctor at Central India and Sarmarishi at NE keeping a tab on the health of our wildlife sanctuaries. Hope there was someone at south too from Team-bhp (though we have occassional reports from Fazal sa'ab and DKG sir at Srisailam). But I think it is more difficult in Karnataka and Kerala due to the heavier restrictions here (there was one Vinay Pillai in our midst, but he has gone awol)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
How about this:

In the beginning of 1970s the Government of India had pressed the panic button as there were less than 1800 tigers in the wild and Project Tiger was born. Forty years later we have less than 1800 tigers and "its good news."

Can somebody explain this to me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Mohsin,
Its good news that the Karnataka forests have gained in tiger numbers. Which is due to actual increase + honest 2009 census, unlike their A.P. counterparts who blew the figures to 95 in (A.P. state forest dept. census) 2009 and now 65 in (NTCA/ Center census) 2010.

When there is an all India increase trend, why the decline trend in A.P. and (Pench and Kanha) M.P. inspite of recorded (2010-11) multiple litters in both states???

Also the Sunderbans count of 70 was not recorded in earlier census, which boosts in the present count.

The increase is spread over 4 years (2006-2010) averaging to about 74 per year. Still dismal if you consider that, in 2008, India lost 65 tigers due to various reasons (officially admitted) and about the same number in the preceeding year.


Dr. Ghosh,
Awaiting the family potraits of the original Collarwali.

Also your valuable inputs reg. the tiger numbers.
Regards,

Last edited by abheekg : 30th March 2011 at 19:41.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 14:26   #157
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Today's installment :

Saharukh and his sister (yet unnamed) pose for me

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_1133edit.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 16:18   #158
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Lucky you. Put some nice pictures man. Show us the 300 mm result. Going to try my luck.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 16:49   #159
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Lucky you. Put some nice pictures man. Show us the 300 mm result. Going to try my luck.
Wish you all the best for your drives Subrat. Althought I wont be joining you, my guys there Bablu and Lallan will help you explore Pench better.

I will be doing staggered drives this weekend - will be there on saturday evening and then again from sunday evening to monday evening.

Catch you at Pench. Let me know incase you need any help.

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 16:56   #160
BHPian
 
Subrat Seet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 344 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Thanks Buddy. Lalan is with me for all four drives. Would like to see your 300 F4. Hahaha. Going boundless to reach. Waiting to meet you in Pench, its long time after August 2010 at Tadoba.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 17:11   #161
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Thanks Buddy. Lalan is with me for all four drives. Would like to see your 300 F4. Hahaha. Going boundless to reach. Waiting to meet you in Pench, its long time after August 2010 at Tadoba.
Sure buddy.
Lallan had actually transported a big television to watch the WC finals from Khawasa to Turia after he forgot that you were booked with him this weekend. We had a good laugh about this the other day.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 18:39   #162
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

I hope Lallan, Bablu, Mukesh etc., are not IPL fans?? Nahi to mera kya hoga?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Sure buddy.
Lallan had actually transported a big television to watch the WC finals from Khawasa to Turia after he forgot that you were booked with him this weekend. We had a good laugh about this the other day.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:21   #163
BHPian
 
abheekg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Nagpur
Posts: 685
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

With the WC final a foregone conclusion, I am leaving for Pench in a while - this time armed with a good video equipment apart from my regular stuff.

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 11:58   #164
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

You know something that the whole nation/world doesn't know as yet? Abhi to toss bhi nahi hua hai..!!

Sachin ka ton banega ki nahin? Yeh bhi bata do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post

With the WC final a foregone conclusion, I am leaving for Pench in a while -
Dr. A Ghosh
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:25   #165
BHPian
 
nomadabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 343
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
With the WC final a foregone conclusion, I am leaving for Pench in a while - this time armed with a good video equipment apart from my regular stuff.

Dr. A Ghosh
So Doc, what's up!
Planning to increase TRP with your live video feed on Pench as against WC Finals. Go ahead, waiting eagerly.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginning of a Brand New Season at Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve with Grand Sightings Subrat Seet Travelogues 64 14th June 2012 14:24
Season 2011-2012 : Independent Tiger monitoring at Pench & Tadoba Tiger reserves abheekg Travelogues 30 3rd May 2012 08:55
Mission Spot a Tiger @ Sariska - Project Tiger Reserve, Attempt No - 2 v&v Travelogues 49 11th April 2011 14:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:30.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks