Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd April 2011, 13:12   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Looks like its time to come down south for Tigers
300 tigers roam Karnataka’s forests - Bangalore - DNA
It is not as easy to spot to tigers in Karnataka's forest due to the terrain and the lantana undergrowth. With luck and lots of patience you could get some good sightings in Bandipur or Kabini.

Here is a pic from my visit to Bandipur in Jan. Havent had much luck in subsequent trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_0822inw.jpg  

tatsago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:57   #167
Senior - BHPian

Tatsago,

You are lucky to spot one. It is diificult to sight tigers in Karnataka for varous reasons. Since Bandipur/Nagarahole forets are congruent the density of tigers is small when compared to Baandhavgarh or Pench. Secondly, the parks are not well managed like Kanha and you generally don't go deep int forets unless you have contacts in forest department sice these stretches get copius rains and summers are not harsh , there are waterholes deep in the forest and there is no need for tigers to come clse to humans. My brother who os wildlife photographer based in Mysore is disgusted with attitude of forest dept in Karnataka which is not helpful at all.
Lastly, we have some forest officers in Karnataka who are wild life photographers who naturally have access to deep forest and they do not want others to steal the moment
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 15:03   #168
Senior - BHPian

Ghoshda,

Waiting for your pics with bated breath. When are you posting them?
Old 3rd April 2011, 20:30   #169
BHPian

Default Date with Badi maa sans cubs this (sunday) evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
You know something that the whole nation/world doesn't know as yet? Abhi to toss bhi nahi hua hai..!!

Sachin ka ton banega ki nahin? Yeh bhi bata do...
its not an open secret anymore.
The only let down was sachin not getting his ton of tons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
So Doc, what's up!
Planning to increase TRP with your live video feed on Pench as against WC Finals. Go ahead, waiting eagerly.
The trp of Pench is already very high abhi. I am trying to get pench projected at an international level among wildlife travellers to india by starting this thread Documenting the growth of 5 Tiger cubs in Pench Tiger Reserve : 2011-2013 - India Travel Forum | IndiaMike.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatsago View Post
Here is a pic from my visit to Bandipur in Jan. Havent had much luck in subsequent trips.
Gowri with cubs at bandipur is next on my radar. Bangalore boys, its time for me to plan a bandipur trip too soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post

My brother who os wildlife photographer based in Mysore is disgusted with attitude of forest dept in Karnataka which is not helpful at all.
Lastly, we have some forest officers in Karnataka who are wild life photographers who naturally have access to deep forest and they do not want others to steal the moment
whats the name of your brother ?
Who are these officials? We can take action against them. Do you have any documented evidences against them?

Quote:
Ghoshda,

Waiting for your pics with bated breath. When are you posting them?
well, i will update this thread with new pics in a few days. No time now to download and process the pics. Expect some rockers soon.

-----------------------------------------------------

Coming to some updates from Pench, I had a date with Badi maa this evening with my friends of INW from hyderabad.

Met Subrat seet too. Subrat, you should have taken me into confidence man when planning the routes for your drives. Wish you all the very best for tomorrow (monday) morning (last round) for you.

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 21:32   #170
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Date with Badi maa sans cubs this (sunday) evening

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Gowri with cubs at bandipur is next on my radar. Bangalore boys, its time for me to plan a bandipur trip too soon.

whats the name of your brother ?
Who are these officials? We can take action against them. Do you have any documented evidences against them?
Ghoshda,

Most welcome. Let us know your plans. We can go together.

My bros name is Shashidhar. No, he does not have any evidence as such but that has been experience specailly in Nagarahole.
Old 5th April 2011, 10:12   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Sure buddy.
Lallan had actually transported a big television to watch the WC finals from Khawasa to Turia after he forgot that you were booked with him this weekend. We had a good laugh about this the other day.
Quote:
its not an open secret anymore.
The only let down was sachin not getting his ton of tons.

Abheek, I understand, when at 2.30 p.m. Lalan said his gypsy has some problem, so he is sending somebody else.

Met Subrat seet too. Subrat, you should have taken me into confidence man when planning the routes for your drives. Wish you all the very best for tomorrow (monday) morning (last round) for you.

Dr. A Ghosh
Abheek, Lalan tried his best. It's my luck, we missed Badi maa. We spend atleast 25-30 minutes at Piorthadi camp. Lalan, took me to all possible places but no cat sight. We had a chat with those mahauts and forest guys at Alikatta and they said that collarwali and two cubs are eating kills and they showed us where exactly sitting. From Alikatta (Macchhan) point we could see the cubs with collarwali with a kill. They were looking like yellow leafs and were eating kill.

Any ways, this is the begining. Coming soon to Pench again. Arrange something economy.

Last edited by Subrat Seet : 5th April 2011 at 10:14.
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2011, 00:56   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Ghoshda,

Most welcome. Let us know your plans. We can go together.
Sure sir. Will keep you posted about my plans.

Quote:
My bros name is Shashidhar. No, he does not have any evidence as such but that has been experience specailly in Nagarahole.
As in Shashidhar Akkiraju ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Abheek, Lalan tried his best. It's my luck, we missed Badi maa. We spend atleast 25-30 minutes at Piorthadi camp. Lalan, took me to all possible places but no cat sight. We had a chat with those mahauts and forest guys at Alikatta and they said that collarwali and two cubs are eating kills and they showed us where exactly sitting. From Alikatta (Macchhan) point we could see the cubs with collarwali with a kill. They were looking like yellow leafs and were eating kill.
You mean , you had a sighting !! Thats superb boss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subrat Seet View Post
Any ways, this is the begining. Coming soon to Pench again. Arrange something economy.
Sure dude. Any weekend. You just manage the to and fro Nagpur-mumbai expense and be my guest. Accommodation will be outdoors and absolutely no comforts to be expected. Come over anytime if you are gane for this. Expect baghinnal female with cubs as bonus fares during the nights.

Dr. A Ghosh

P.s: The pics will take some time friends as my DSLR is left with Bablu at Pench and not getting time to process the videos.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:04   #173
BHPian

Default Going home.....

Here's today's installment :

Caught the cubs returning after a drink in a recent safari at Pench
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_9874edit.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 6th April 2011, 17:26   #174
BHPian

WoW ! That is 4 tigers in one frame !!!
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 21:36   #175
BHPian

Hi Abheek
I am envy of you man. I am cursing myself that i am in Mumbai. I should have been near these national parks. Superb Dude. Great sighting.

Subrat
Subrat Seet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 15:45   #176
BHPian

Default A classical Whodunit ?

Thanks friends for the appreciation.
@Subrat: Nagpur Mumbai se door nahi hai

Now, for today's update :
I am back from Pench after another weekend bliss. This time, I was on a different mission - that to aid the forest department in their anti poaching (fish poaching) operations at Pench.

Summary of the special encounters of this visit:
Apprehended 1 poacher after some adventurous offroad driving in my new Gypsy and (after a good thrashing) confiscated his cycle, provisions, and handed him over to the department.
Badi maa with cubs, 2 leopards including one at a water hole near my quarters at night, 1 spotted deer kill, 2 porcupines, 1 palm civet, 25 vultures including one red headed vulture, numerous vulture nests.
Had access to all service roads of the park apart from the usual tourism routes . Superb culinary skills of the forest department khansama.
These days I am experimenting with HD video and the last 2 trips has already got me some glorious video moments.

Now, here's something to keep you all busy for a while:
A classical Whodunit ?

Spotted deer kill: Half day old, hindquarters partially eaten up, stomach opened up and also partially eaten, entrails separated and lying 5-10 feet away from the kill, untouched.

Question :
Who killed the deer and how do you deduce?
Tiger, Leopard, Wild Dog, any other animal ?

Other points to aid identification:
The encounter happened at 8am sometime this month in a central Indian reserve.
No pugmarks visible around the kill.
Kill lying in an open patch of land.
No drag marks anywhere.
Kill was being scavanged by crows and a solitary spotted deer.
Deer skin unplucked.
Plenty of water sources and shades nearby.
Leopard and Wild Dog scat observed 50-100 meters from the kill.
No carnivore activity at the kill till 10.30am when we had to abandon vigil.

Happy wildlifing !!

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 11th April 2011, 16:43   #177
BHPian

Here's a composite pic of the spotted deer kill for your reference:
request to mods to include this pic in the last post.

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-whodunit.jpg

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 11th April 2011, 17:51   #178
BHPian

Hey Doc, I think the kill was by a Leopard which in turn was chased away by a gang of Dhole. Reason saying it was a leopard kill is that I think Leopards don't like eating the gut and since it's thrown away from the carcass, it leads me to this conclusion.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 00:40   #179
BHPian

@lordofgondor: Very good Sir.
Although not yet known, but a very interesting discussion is going on here Login | Facebook on this topic.
Feel free to be a part of it.

Regular wildlife travellers here to help me crack this case.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 12th April 2011, 09:27   #180
Senior - BHPian

Since there are no canine marks on the throat this deer was killed by a leopard with a well aimed stone on the head. It was 4pm, and the leopard decided to eat first from the stomach leaving aside the choicest parts, that is the thighs for last.

As he was eating his bowel movements made him go a distance and do his job. Just then, a pack of dhole's seized the opportunity and took over the carcass.

From about 25 feet the infuriated leopard stared and growled at the dholes, one smart dhole took out the whole stomach part and threw it at the leopard, bang on the face. The leopard was so humiliated that he left and that triggered a huge round of applause, celebrations and laughter among the dholes until they all developed stomach cramps due to which they too could not eat and left.

Only GD Sahab can beat me on the above conclusion.

On a serious note.

1. This deer could possibly have died on its own, due to illness, age etc., reason: the absence of any strangulation marks on its throat, neck.

2. Any big cat would first eat the meaty parts, which are butt and thighs. Here all are intact. So it was not a predator kill or its continuation.

Scenario 1.
It could be a wild boar who could have chanced upon a dead deer, nibbled on the chest, tail bone area and moved on to the stomach and started devouring it.

Scenario 2.
There are shallow skin tissue tears on the chest which seem to be done by a carnivore like a small, lone jackal, the broken ribs (vultures can't). Then the jackal went for the organs which are easy access and fast food, satiated himself and left.

Scenario 3.
As it was in open ground, it could be vultures that spotted an untouched carcass, their beaks are designed to tear rather than cut, they need an opening in the skin to start their feeding orgy, there was none and the dug up a hole in the softest part which happens to be the stomach and had their fill or were shooed away by a jackal who continued to eat there.

The stomach part away from the carcass, could be taken and abondend in all above cases.

Even a small pack of Dholes easily can consume the whole deer, ruled out as the meaty parts are intact. There was no big cat involved here, as meaty parts are untouched. In both cases no kill marks on the deer.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 12th April 2011 at 09:41.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote