Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th April 2011, 11:05   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Ghoshda,

I think this should be the handiwork of Wild dogs. I have heard that normally the cats catch the prey by neck. Since, there is no injury on the neck, my guess is it must be a group of wild dogs. Hope i am right.

Is there a prize for correct answer?
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 01:22   #182
BHPian

Very interesting post fazal saab.

A very long discussion happened on this pic on my facebook profile - some funny answers and some wild speculations being discussed enthusiastically for over 24 hours. Here, take a look at some of the comments, the serious ones are in bold:

Rajan Kinkhede: My guess would be a leopard. Wild dogs rarely leave a scrap of their prey. By the looks of it. Only the tender meat has been eaten. Another point pointing towards leopard.

#
Abheek Ghosh what else ?
What does the jim corbett omnibus teach you?
Monday at 5:44pm LikeUnlike
#
Rajan Kinkhede
Kenneth Anderson actually..
The kill is in an open patch of land which points away from a tiger. All the tiger kills I've ever seen have been in shade or at a reasonable cover up place.
If I'm not wrong, a tigers primary attack includes snapp...ing/ripping of the neck. The neck seems unbroken and untorn.
All in all, tiger's kill this(probably) isn't.

Rajan Kinkhede: The entrails may suggest jackal.
Another less likely hypothesis would be.. Killed by a human. Dumped at that open patch of land, scavenged by crows and vultures..

Sudarshan Sutar: call james bond! very serious case

Prasenjeet Yadav: The point mentioned by Abheek da [*No marks on the throat of the deer.] is a enough of a proof that culprit does not belong to Felidae family. No big cat kill is without a mark on neck as they are specialized to kill that way. Could be some Canid as many are known to hold their prey from back but as you mentioned there are no Pug marks which is again strange.What do you think Abheek da??? BTW can I ask where was this , at-lest the park's name. What are those black strips on the image???

Anirban Chatterjee:
I have heard that there is a highly fragrant substance found in the intestine of a deer. I guess its called MUSK or something. Original musk is also very costly. May be a human killed this deer for that and hence the seperated intestines. ...Since u mention that its also partially eaten up, i guess an animal ate it after it was already killed. May be thats y its not fully eaten. Tiger is ruled out coz it wont drag its kill in an open space. leopards i guess carry their kill on trees (especially with other leopards and wild dogs nearby as u mentioned).This is completely out of my extremely limited knowledge about wildlife.

Gurudutt Bc
Whether it is a tiger or a leopard. it will kill its prey by choking the neck, thus leaving marks. Since no marks are visible on the neck, my finger points to the Dhols. The dhols are known to rip apart their kill alive. But, why was the carcass abandoned half-eaten? That remains a mystery..

Abheek Ghosh:
Thank you rajan. Interesting deductions.

@prasen: check your mail. The black areas are blacked out date marks. Since you are on way to becoming a certified expert, would like to have your views.
@anirban: nice try but no this is not a case... of musk deer. this is a spotted deer from central india. Musk deer is a highly endangered species from north india.
@jaimesh sir: why wild dogs sir? What indications? Why poison? Why eloctrocution? Any basis for these possibilities?
What about the other experienced wildlife travellers? What do you guys think?

Joshua Keys:
might have been killed by birds..

Abhishek Sur:
Not an expert so feel free to shot my idea down, but could a pack of wild-dogs have been interrupted by a leopard, or vice-versa?

Pratik Zoting:
Leopard...bcoz if it was wild dogs...u wudnt have found this much flesh remaining on the deer

Ziaul Islam:
I got it!!! God killed the deer!!!! Oopsssssss!!!! It was by a Man-eater, I guess!!!? I mean a Tiger!!

Malay Nandy:
Killed by human attack..Somehow fellow could not get away..subsequently scavanged..

Sumer Bora:
must have been a case of brain hemorrhage :P :P

Nirmalya Chakraborty:
ha ha ha... pretty interesting wild guesses! Looking at the evidences given & if the kill is not disturbed much...i.e not toppled etc... Tiger is ruled out...he eats from the rump.... this is not a dhole kill as he attacks the hinglegs whic...h looks intact.... leppy is my choice.... the stag is too heavy to bring down & attack the jugular... must hv attacked the stomach & brought it down & leppy's like intestine & eat it 1st... was disturbed during feeding... a leppy can leave a full meal if disturbed... will never return back& will move on.... i hv seen another such kill in pench.... of a langur in Boranala...

Abhishek Sur:
Hmm? Could it have been hit by a speeding vehicle, and then in it's weakened state attacked by wild gods?

Ashwin Gharote:
this must be a human attack!!!

Jaydeep Das:
Can I take a guess??? I think the deer died on its own of some ailment..Hence no marks on its neck area. 2nd point no pug marks nearby but stomach opened up that means vultures and birds have been nibbling at it..maybe a small cat or jackal which cannot eat the whole in a small time. A leopard or wild dogs will eat or tear away a major portion atleast, but the parts of the deer seems to be there.

Nadeem Khan:
no deductions boss...juss a wild guess...its leopard

Anirban Chatterjee:
i think its a snake bite death..later eaten up by others..

Debashis Saha:
Wounds on various body parts other than the head and neck might be of dog.The stomach and intestines are usually pulled out, but are not normally eaten other than the fatty tissues around. They generally do not scatter the skin around the site of the kill. I am not keeping Fox and some kind of reptiles out of my list.

Abhishek Sur:
‎@Anirban: I might be wrong (+: I have less exposure to wild-life than most people who have commented here. Having said that, we're all speculating here ... I wouldn't rule out a reptile either

Sankha Ghosh:
its mysterious...

Suresh G Kumar:
black magic?

Pushkin Ahuja:
Poisoned caracas for a PRIZED CATCH!! Any news of missing big cat(s).. If this is recent, it may take a day or two for you to get to know... God forbid my guess is true. Just thinking midway a big bite the cat discovers fishy stuff and wanders off - Possible, is it?

Varun Thakkar:
kyu tentn lete ho bhai ??? maine mara tha isko ... ghar walo ne khana nahi diya tha, to isko he kha gaya ... case solved .... go and slep now its 12 .... lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, what do you think guys ? What could this be ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, I am experimenting with wildlife videography these days. Here are 2 examples :

Pench vulture guarding nest

Jackal pups from Pench

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 15:27   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Since there are no canine marks on the throat this deer was killed by a leopard with a well aimed stone on the head. It was 4pm, and the leopard decided to eat first from the stomach leaving aside the choicest parts, that is the thighs for last.

As he was eating his bowel movements made him go a distance and do his job. Just then, a pack of dhole's seized the opportunity and took over the carcass.

From about 25 feet the infuriated leopard stared and growled at the dholes, one smart dhole took out the whole stomach part and threw it at the leopard, bang on the face. The leopard was so humiliated that he left and that triggered a huge round of applause, celebrations and laughter among the dholes until they all developed stomach cramps due to which they too could not eat and left.

Only GD Sahab can beat me on the above conclusion.
Rolling on the floor laughing and having cramps in my stomach !!
Leopard throwing a well aimed stone , indeed.
Dhole throwing the whole stomach on leopard's face. Falling off my chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Ghoshda,

I think this should be the handiwork of Wild dogs. I have heard that normally the cats catch the prey by neck. Since, there is no injury on the neck, my guess is it must be a group of wild dogs. Hope i am right.

Is there a prize for correct answer?
Whatever it is, its a complicated puzzle. Will keep you updated about the answer. Well, speaking of prizes, first 5 interesting (inducing uncontrollable laughter) theories here to get an all expense sponsored trip to pench free from me. Fazal saab has already qualified. 4 places remaining.

Here are some more pics to help you win this jackpot.Dr. A Ghosh
Attached Thumbnails
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-1.jpg  

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-2.jpg  

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-3.jpg  

Last edited by abheekg : 13th April 2011 at 15:55.
Old 13th April 2011, 15:48   #184
Senior - BHPian

Ghoshda,

The videos are of good quality. How did you shoot with such a close angle? What kind of zoom are you using?
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 16:12   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Ghoshda,

The videos are of good quality. How did you shoot with such a close angle? What kind of zoom are you using?

These are videos shot using a generic sony handycam (2megapixel, 60x optical zoom) , the only thing I guess I did different from the rest was that I used my very stable manfrotto tripod to steady the handycam while zooming as if we handhold at such zooms, there is invariably shake in the video.

Here's a shot of my setup in the wild for the vulture shoot:
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-sanjay-pench-maharashtra-1590.jpg

Not finding another shot - one showing the actual shoot in progress taken by a friend from a distance, will upload that later.

Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 13th April 2011 at 16:14.
Old 14th April 2011, 08:23   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Fazal saab has already qualified. 4 places remaining.
Dr. Ghosh,
Great to know I qualified, I would alredy be there with my bags, but for the ongoing build of my Jeep.
Thanks and Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 13:32   #187
BHPian

Talking Some questions for the Gurus.

Sorry for going but a question just popped into my mind:

Who is stronger (if they were in a Fight Club); a Dhole or a Jackal?

And yesterday I learned that a lone Spotted Hyena can scare a Lioness from her kill, which leads to other questions:

Can a Spotted Hyena scare off a Tigress? And why can't Lions & Tigers co-exist in the same habitat?

These might be stupid questions but blame it on the Doc, who has sparked in me an interest on carnivores.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 12:14   #188
BHPian

Default Re: Some questions for the Gurus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
Great to know I qualified, I would alredy be there with my bags, but for the ongoing build of my Jeep.
Thanks and Regards,
All the best with your jeep build sir. My cj4a build is also stagnant for sometime now. These cubs are keeping me real busy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Sorry for going but a question just popped into my mind:

Who is stronger (if they were in a Fight Club); a Dhole or a Jackal?
Dhole

Quote:
And yesterday I learned that a lone Spotted Hyena can scare a Lioness from her kill, which leads to other questions:

Can a Spotted Hyena scare off a Tigress?
No idea about this boss. Never saw a spotted hyena till date and never spotted the hyena with a tigress so I cannot answer that question.

Quote:
And why can't Lions & Tigers co-exist in the same habitat?
Tiger requires a lot of cover for stalking prey while the lioness hunts in a pack, so they have different terrain requirements.

Quote:
These might be stupid questions but blame it on the Doc, who has sparked in me an interest on carnivores.
You are most welcome to throw everything and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge possible.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 15th April 2011, 14:35   #189
BHPian

The hunter and the hunted : Eyes locked on the target
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_9500eyes-lockd-target.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

P.S: Debate still rages on regarding the deer kill.
Old 15th April 2011, 15:29   #190
BHPian

Quote:
You are most welcome to throw everything and I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge possible.
regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Thanks for the clarifications Doc. I'm sure as I watch more of Discover/Animal Planet, I'll be throwing more weird questions at you. It was very interesting to watch the hyena scaring off the lioness.

Quote:
The hunter and the hunted : Eyes locked on the target
But why were you hunting a Jungle Cat?
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:54   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

He's become a jungle creature. Had to find his own place in the food chain somehow!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 21:41   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But why were you hunting a Jungle Cat?
lordofgondor,
Dr. Ghosh is referring to Mynah (bird) in the foreground blurred, as the 'hunted'.

A beautiful capture, Dr.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 15th April 2011 at 21:42.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2011, 11:32   #193
BHPian

Off to Pench for 5 drives with Gurudutt sir.
Everybody keep fingers crossed and pray hard.
Old 16th April 2011, 20:14   #194
BHPian

She blowed hard and strong ! We got drenched to the core in mid summer. And when the rain Gods relented, Collarwali gave us a super sighting.

Yes friends, Gurudutt sir and me had a sighting in the very safari together.

With Bablu incharge of my Gypsy, we got into a superb position behind Collarwali who took advantage of the lull in the weather to come out to patrol her territory and in process gave us a chance to observe her in full glory from a distance of 10 meters.

We worked as a team - Gurudutt sir and me - sir taking a series of shots with his bazooka while I complemented him by taking a video of the entire sequence.

With 4 drives remaining, I have great hopes. I need the collective prayers of the entire community to ensure gurudutt sir have the time of his life.

Godspeed to us !
Saharukh and the other babies, meet you tomorrow.

Now its time to celebrate.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 18th April 2011, 05:34   #195
BHPian

My facebook status update today reads: She walked me through her territory and led me to a Palm civet; and when I came out, a banded Kukri greeted me enthusiastically.

4 drives with Gurudutt sir - some great moments, 1 drive to go - lets see what's in store for the morrow.

Time to celebrate. Pench rocks !
abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote