Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th May 2011, 22:02   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Like Father Like son : The royal walk of a future king of Pench
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-like-father-like-son.jpg

There are several indications that the Rayyakasa Male is the father of the Collarwali Tigress cubs.

As Fazal saab says, the cubs are indeed growing up fast.
I find them a little bigger everytime I see them
abheekg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 03:49   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Kesari,

Nice numbers there.
These cubs are growing up fast.

The family pool pics. have come out well, are the second set including the Collarwali and neelgai shot from an elephant?
Regards,
Yes all those shots are from an elephant-back and at distance of about 15-20M.

All shots of the cubs in the water are from the safari-jeep at a distance of about 250-300M with a 300MM zoom lens.
kesri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 11:45   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Yes all those shots are from an elephant-back and at distance of about 15-20M.

All shots of the cubs in the water are from the safari-jeep at a distance of about 250-300M with a 300MM zoom lens.
It was providence that I left my 300mm lens with you and Bablu was there to guide you to the cubs playing in water with his intuition.

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 13:02   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
It was providence that I left my 300mm lens with you and Bablu was there to guide you to the cubs playing in water with his intuition.
Dr. A Ghosh
Yes, our luck was really good that day!

We never dreamed that when we left the elephant-safari boarding point and drove off some 400M away on the exit mud road along this stream, the tiger cubs would follow us (via their own short-cut route thru the bushes) and start entering the water at this spot!!

Wish you were with us on that day's safari to enjoy this awesome sight 'live' with your own eyes. I must, again, thank you for lending me your 300MM lens, when my lens 70-300MM started giving errors.

Last edited by kesri : 20th May 2011 at 13:07. Reason: some corrns
Old 20th May 2011, 19:11   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dr. A Ghosh
Dr. Ghosh,
So very kind of you and so ever intuitive Bablu.
Wish you would extend the same courtesy to me with your 300mm, as already Bablu was there, but the lens+Bablu combination was missing then, we missed Collar wali with her 5 cubs, who were in the under growth at the fire line just 30 feet from us.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 13:56   #276
Senior - BHPian

Abheek,

Pench seems to be rocking! Would be great if I can meet you there on 4th eve/5th morn.

Hoping that the 70-300 mm is adequate for the safaris :-)

Last edited by nilanjanray : 21st May 2011 at 13:57.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 15:01   #277
BHPian

Default Dream encounter with the Baghin Nala tigress

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Abheek,

Pench seems to be rocking! Would be great if I can meet you there on 4th eve/5th morn.

Hoping that the 70-300 mm is adequate for the safaris :-)
Come over buddy. Will meet up on one of the days. 70-300 is THE lens that you will require most in these parts.

I recently had a dream encounter with the Baghin nala Tigress out on a patrolling mission after cooling off for a while in the waters on a hot April afternoon. We spotted the Tigress in the water early in the course of the evening drive and we went back on the road and waited for her to come out of the water and walk her territory for patrolling. My lucky stars were properly aligned that day and I ended up having the best sighting of this elusive lady.

Here are a series of shots of her approaching.
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7686.jpg

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7688.jpg

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7692.jpg

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7714.jpg

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7724.jpg

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7736.jpg

We were driving in reverse gear all the while the Tigress was approaching us. But seeing her bearing down on us fast, we realised that she wanted to overtake us and get on with her patrolling so we slowed down and let here pass us. While crossing our vehicle she glanced and looked at me sideways to say as if " This is just the trailer buddy, I will be back for more"

And then giving me this final look, she asked us to go away and stop following her.
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_7852.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:57   #278
BHPian

Default Re: Dream encounter with the Baghin Nala tigress

Quote:
I recently had a dream encounter with the Baghin nala Tigress out on a patrolling mission after cooling off for a while in the waters on a hot April afternoon. We spotted the Tigress in the water early in the course of the evening drive and we went back on the road and waited for her to come out of the water and walk her territory for patrolling. My lucky stars were properly aligned that day and I ended up having the best sighting of this elusive lady.
Doc, amazing shots of Bhagin-Nalla Tigress! ... very clear and sharp pictures! Lucky for you.

Though we spent quite a few hours waiting in her territory, we only got a brief glimpse of her, from away across the nallah. She was sitting partly hidden in a brush on a ridge at higher level; keeping an eye on her cubs closer to us the grassy ridge extension of the small check-dam.
Old 22nd May 2011, 16:58   #279
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, You make it look so easy!

I have to remind myself that many, many people come to India just in the hope of seeing just one tiger, and many of them go home without seeing any.

Amazing pictures.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 18:30   #280
BHPian

I will be in Pench on 9th, 10th and 11th June. If any one is there at that time please message me. I would love to meet some team-bhpian there.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:32   #281
BHPian

@Abheek: Sharp pics. This season has been amazing for T-Bhpians with great visuals & threads on Collarwali & cubs, Badi Maa & cubs and now Bhagin-nalla tigress.

Is there any other tigress/tiger at Pench which have not been sighted in the last 2-3 mnths?
Avid trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 01:12   #282
BHPian

@Avid trekker Well spotting a tiger in pench is very rare because there territory is very vast and is on the other side of jungle . I was speaking with bablu well all teambhpians must be knowing who he is . He told me tigers can only be seen during winters when they come for mating . Else they only get spotted in jungle cams .

@ abheek . correct me if i am wrong which i have said above .
finally after a year bhaginala spotted you . She was looking towards you in anger as i can see in snaps . Great shots .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid trekker View Post
@Abheek: Sharp pics. This season has been amazing for T-Bhpians with great visuals & threads on Collarwali & cubs, Badi Maa & cubs and now Bhagin-nalla tigress.

Is there any other tigress/tiger at Pench which have not been sighted in the last 2-3 mnths?
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:30   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesri View Post
Doc, amazing shots of Bhagin-Nalla Tigress! ... very clear and sharp pictures! Lucky for you.

Though we spent quite a few hours waiting in her territory, we only got a brief glimpse of her, from away across the nallah. She was sitting partly hidden in a brush on a ridge at higher level; keeping an eye on her cubs closer to us the grassy ridge extension of the small check-dam.
Thanks sir. She's quite an elusive and shy lady who hardly gives an appearance if there's a big crowd waiting. I was lucky to catch her all alone that day and we patiently waited for her down the road of her usual patrolling road. She reciprocated our wait with a fine sighting of over 15 mins. The key during jungle drives, is patience - loads of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Doc, You make it look so easy!

I have to remind myself that many, many people come to India just in the hope of seeing just one tiger, and many of them go home without seeing any.

Amazing pictures.
Thank you sir, but this isn't as easy as I make it sound. These are efforts of visits after visits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
I will be in Pench on 9th, 10th and 11th June. If any one is there at that time please message me. I would love to meet some team-bhpian there.
Whats your exact itienerary sir ? I can see that 9-11 june is a weekend - you will find me in pench for sure. please reply to my pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avid trekker View Post

These 3 families are only the tip of the iceberg sir. I haven't yet posted the pics of the male tigers - 2 of whom we saw last weekend with Bolbolero (Gautam da)

Apart from that there is another Tigress - as old as badi maa with 2 cubs - called the Patdev Tigress. I have a few file photos of the Patdev tigress from last year. I haven't yet sighted her this season.

God willing, I am going to declare another very heartening news here very soon. Guess what that may be ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari_Beast View Post
@Avid trekker Well spotting a tiger in pench is very rare because there territory is very vast and is on the other side of jungle . I was speaking with bablu well all teambhpians must be knowing who he is . He told me tigers can only be seen during winters when they come for mating . Else they only get spotted in jungle cams .

@ abheek . correct me if i am wrong which i have said above .
finally after a year bhaginala spotted you . She was looking towards you in anger as i can see in snaps . Great shots .
Thats not entirely correct. Summers are one of the best times for Tiger and other animal in general spotting due to the high visibility and the perdominance of the animals near the water sources. Pre monsoon time and winters are great to observe the mating behaviour of Tigers. With male Tigers , you need a great amount of luck as they are constantly patrolling their territories.

Baghin nala tigress, although looks angry in these pics, was very calm and composed when I saw her. she doesn't know me better as we have had very limited interactions over the years - but something tells me thats going to change. Keeping fingers crossed.

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:50   #284
Senior - BHPian

Dr. Ghosh,

A very good face to face with the tigress. Liked the last pose most.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2011, 13:44   #285
BHPian

Reporting after another impromptu Wednesday morning drive in Pench.
Thanks to my posts here, IM and other forums, Pench has become a popular jungling destination among the jungle ghooming crowd of this country - as a result Bablu is booked end to end barring a few dates till season end.

I went to Pench to escape the city life after a 36 hour on trot emergency duty in the hospital which saw me miss last weekend activity at Pench.

Today, I met a couple of interesting people from across India who had landed in Pench seeing my posts in various forums and bumped into me during the morning drive, apart from seeing 3 male tigers at various water holes

I must thank Bablu for making people have wonderful experiences in your company.

A testimony from Prab***** from Hyderabad who happens to be a regular reader of this thread but not a tbhp member : "The last drive was awesome. Thanks to your man (sic Bablu) we saw a huge male Tiger, twice, once just about 10feet or so from the jeep , but thanks to my one year old, who chose that moment to cry, we scared the Tiger off....... But the experience was awesome. we will meet you at Turia gate before we head back to Hyderabad at 5ish in the morning."

A background about this sighting
: A big male tiger was spotted by this group at Junewani yesterday evening and after moving out of the water, the tiger disappeared into the bushes. Bablu, on a whim, decided to drive some way (2kms) away from the spot and park his Gypsy at a spot from where he had seen this male tiger emerge sometime back. Within 15 minutes of this , the Male tiger emerged from the very spot where Bablu had parked his vehicle and did everything short of spray marking my Gypsy as his !!!!

A response from Bablu to this: Sir, wo Tiger aisa Punch patak raha tha (banging his tail).... meri to fati padi thi (i was literally shitting bricks in my pants) aur tabhi baccha roya (and the baby decided to cry at that moment)...... meri to fat gayi puri jab Tiger meri aankho me dekha !!

Why I am writing about this in detail: To emphasize the point that how a good driver can turn your great sighting into a lifetime memorable sighting.

Big Boy Bablu, you are doing a great job. Keep it up.Dr. A Ghosh
+919960332228