Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th March 2011, 18:57   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!

Doc, Is Nirmalya's picture published anywhere, like Santuary etc. It is just too good to be true Hats off!!
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 19:05   #122
BHPian

Doc sir,
It would be of advantage to us if you were to spend more time at pench as we will get to see more of the family which I missed.
But please do not dissappear from the forum, you need to keep us updating on your always good luck factor with the tigers.
Regards
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 12:34   #123
Senior - BHPian

Don't visit so frequently and scare those Stripes; keep some of them for me as well. You know I'm visiting Pench in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
I was in Pench for 3 more drives in the middle of the week and missed them by a whisker yesterday morning.

I have a feeling that my visits to this park will increase further and you may see me disapper from the forum for some time.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 14:42   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauji View Post
Doc, Is Nirmalya's picture published anywhere, like Santuary etc. It is just too good to be true Hats off!!
Nirmalya da's pic is a very famous photograph which has not only seen the cover of sanctuary but also been published on a lot of forums worldwide including on the cover of a recent book by oxford.

Here it is:

Name:  12971573604cf52343102b1.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  90.5 KB

Footnote by Nirmalya da:
As a surprise, my six tigers of Tadoba Tiger Reserve again roared loud on the fag end of International Year of the Tiger to promote their conservation. This time I found them standing strong in the cover of Oxford University Press Encyclopedia- Tiger- The Soul of India by Valmik Thapar. Their innocent eyes again gazed at us in anticipation of good conservators who will talk less, do more, do less lobbying & politics & dedicate solely for the protection of the tiger. The tigers have rightly projected all that is needed for their co-existence - the forest, water & all life within it. Valmik Thapar has provided justice by illustrating the Indian sentiments that associate with tiger in text. His latest interview with NDTV features our Tadoban icons. Available at: [COLOR=#006699]http://profit.ndtv.com/video/show/176940[/COLOR]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Doc sir,
It would be of advantage to us if you were to spend more time at pench as we will get to see more of the family which I missed.
I will surely try to keep up with the demand and try posting regularly.

One more image from the super sunday:
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_9821.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Don't visit so frequently and scare those Stripes; keep some of them for me as well. You know I'm visiting Pench in April.
Aap jaldi chale aao sir. We never know if all 5 will survive to adulthood or not. There has been no previous record in history of a tigress doing so although I am very optimistic and keeping my fingers crossed.

These 5 cuties really have a long way to go and will face a lot of challenges.

I just hope that they survive.

And this exactly is why I am visiting so often.

[1] To document if everything is right with the family or not.
[2] To try to get these rare photographs.

In my mid week visit, I was successful in having a glimpse of them again.

Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-img_9747.jpg

Its my advise to all of you who are planning to come to Pench to see this family - plan your visit withing the next few months as we never know what is going to happen to them.

Tiger cubs in Tadoba dead:
After what happened to the 2 male cubs (the 2 male cubs are dead under suspicious circumstances) from the litter of 4 that I had photographed last monsoon at Tadoba which I had documented here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2284535 (Nobody can assure you a Tiger, and thats the fun of it - Team BHP meet at Tadoba !) , I can never be sure about whats going to happen to our Tigers.

When such a widely photographed and documented Tiger cub like Circuit can die with the forest department having no answers to the cause, I am really skeptical about what may happen to the other undocumented ones out there.

Circuit: In happier times
Name:  199037_10150432768730582_569205581_17472251_2714545_n.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  199904_10150430062665582_569205581_17446752_310888_n.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  39.9 KB
An ode to you buddy: Wherever you are, may your soul rest in Peace

Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 19th March 2011 at 15:07.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 14:47   #125
BHPian

Default Collarwali kills a deer barely 100 meters from my vehicle

Back from another visit to Paradise.
Collarwali walked on the road again in front of my gypsy for 30 minutes and killed a spotted deer hardly 100 meters from the vehicle in the bushes.

Watch out for some more photographs soon.
Although I didn't get the shot of the kill as it happened out of sight but we could all imagine the sequence of events in our minds.

After making the kill (which happened barely 1 km from the turia gate), she went off (probably to get her cubs !!!)

There will be a very good chance of the entire family this evening again.
Keeping my fingers crossed friends. We will need the prayers of the entire community again.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 21st March 2011, 14:57   #126
BHPian

Doc,
Keeping in mind your luck factor with tigers and your acquaintance with collarwali, I am sure she will come visiting you with her pride.
Will look forward to seeing some great pictures.
Regards
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 15:36   #127
BHPian

Planning to visit Pench this weekend

Information required

How accessible is Rookhad Bison Retreat / Rookhad Highway Retreat to visit Pench

Is Rookhad Bison Retreat and Rookhad Highway Retreat are same and how is this place. ( Any other places around same budget, website claims Rs.690 + taxes)

Which is the nearest point/gate to vist the park and how much distance.

What is the cost for hiring gypsy and where to contact if we need to do an advance booking.

Also please help with any other info required.
IndianNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 22:22   #128
BHPian

Lo and behold.
We tracked her high and mighty........traced pugmarks...........chased alarm calls.............

But only when she wanted to be seen, she came out this evening.

With only 10mins left for the park closure, she came out and sat on the road as Bablu videographed her this evening. There was a good chance of the cubs coming out but the lack of time played spoilsport.

I could not wait for the evening round as I got an urgent call from the hospital and had to go back to Nagpur.

I have a hunch that she may go to wherever she has kept her cubs tonight and get them to this site near the kill.

I am updating this from the hospital and making plans of doing a short curtailed drive tomorrow morning again in the same quest.

Will I get lucky tomorrow? I hope so.

The ball is in your court now babies !

---------------------------------------------------------------------

@indiannomad: rookhad/bison retreat are same places. Its about 40kms north of khawasa on nh7.
The park gate is on the highway and the mptdc resort by the same name is adjoining the gate. The park has no gypsies available and if you want to go, you will have to call a gypsy from pench (turia).

My suggestion is that you should plan to visit Pench (the place from where I am bringing this live action) as rookhad hardly will have anything interesting to offer you.

I am in Pench over the weekend and you can team up with me. Feel free to call me on 09960332228

If you are worried about budget then I invite you to share my tent at Lallans'. Next best you can have a dorm bed at mptdc kipling's court for ~1000 per day. Keep me in the loop.

Dr. A Ghosh
Old 22nd March 2011, 04:05   #129
BHPian

Updating from Lallans' at Turia gate at 3.30am listening to distant deer rutting and peacock calls. Had a wonderful sighting of a snake coiled up, a civet cat and numerous deer on the road in the buffer.

Waiting for the gates to open at 6 and keeping fingers crossed.

Goodnight for now.
Old 22nd March 2011, 08:52   #130
BHPian

Doc, I had a talk with Bablu on Sunday night when he gave me a call. Called him back to wish holi greetings. He updated me about the same.

Told him that he is so lucky to see collarwali and all cubs together. He was surprised and asked me how I know about it. Doc, maybe next time you meet him you should share the threads with him and others around ( specially the guides/drivers/locals ) which will built more enthu in them and encourage them to work towards wildlife preservation with their heart.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 09:42   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Doc, I had a talk with Bablu on Sunday night when he gave me a call. Called him back to wish holi greetings. He updated me about the same.

Doc, maybe next time you meet him you should share the threads with him and others around ( specially the guides/drivers/locals ) which will built more enthu in them and encourage them to work towards wildlife preservation with their heart.
Shortly he will be directly posting on T-BHP, thanks to Dr. Ghosh.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:44   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post

Told him that he is so lucky to see collarwali and all cubs together. He was surprised and asked me how I know about it. Doc, maybe next time you meet him you should share the threads with him and others around ( specially the guides/drivers/locals ) which will built more enthu in them and encourage them to work towards wildlife preservation with their heart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Shortly he will be directly posting on T-BHP, thanks to Dr. Ghosh.
Everybody at Pench is excited about them being on the international scene thanks to these ongoing threads.

@ Abhi and the others : Why don't you post photographs of the guides and the locals from your collection here and I will try to give them names. It will be a bigger boost for them to see their photographs alongside the Tigers that they are striving hard to protect.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for today's pic from Pench......................................
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Collarwali Up close:
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-up-close.jpg

This is how you shoot the Tigress at Point blank range:
Pench Tiger Reserve - New season starts with a Bang !!!-dscn5041.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 22nd March 2011 at 23:54.
Old 23rd March 2011, 00:46   #133
Senior - BHPian

I'm sure this is that Royal Bengal Tigress who responds to the name - Mrs. Ghosh. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post

This is how you shoot the Tigress at Point blank range:

Attachment 521863

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
Old 23rd March 2011, 07:57   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I'm sure this is that Royal Bengal Tigress who responds to the name - Mrs. Ghosh. Right?
GD Sahab,
Ha ha, its only you who can put it that way.
Get ready for an wedding invite to Nagpur then, as serious wildlife photographers do not lend their cap to girls, casually.

"Collarwali Up close:"

BTW which Collarwali is Dr. referring to? Since both have it.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 23rd March 2011 at 08:11.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2011, 10:27   #135
Senior - BHPian

Ha ha ha ha..loving it.. Coming to caps/hats, on this recent trip to Sariska, while going into the jungle I discovered that my wife had picked up my Dudhwa hat and using it. A minor disagreement, frowns, long faces etc., all happened that lasted for full 2 minutes.

Well, C 4 had to accept with the tail tucked firmly between the legs...

Being "ladkewaale" would we be getting the to & fro airfare with a chauffer driven limo to be carted around Nagpur? I promise not to slink away to Pench on the wedding night..ooops..day..!

BTW, does this tigress christened Ghosh - 2, share the same passion for wildlife as Ghosh - 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
GD Sahab,

Ha ha, its only you who can put it that way.

Get ready for an wedding invite to Nagpur then, as serious wildlife photographers do not lend their cap to girls, casually.

"Collarwali Up close:"

BTW which Collarwali is Dr. referring to? Since both have it.
Regards,

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd March 2011 at 10:31.