Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st November 2010, 00:56   #16
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Just one point from my side, Indira point is no longer the southern most point as it got submerged after Tsunami.
Saar. It still is the southern most point of India. The tsunami did indeed gulp Indira point. However, the Lighthouse that stood on Indira point, still stands there, albeit the base which was above sea level earlier, standing on Indira point, is currently 1.5 ft or so below sea level.

Since they've officially not named any other point as Indira point or the southern most point of Indian union, and the light-house stands there and the fact that geologies find that the sea is receding to earlier levels over the period of time all point to one conclusion. Indira point, though 1.5 ft below sea level, still holds the title as the southern most point of India.

Apparently Campbell bay is currently the southern most point of India which is inhabited and Vivekananda rock near Kanyakumari is the southern most point of Mainland India, among other such trivia.

Sorry about all the OT. But then we will not concede even an inch to our neighbours or the sea of what is rightfully ours!

Photos of Light house at Indira point taken from Internet.

Before Tsunami
Name:  Indira point before tsunami.jpg
Views: 11717
Size:  44.4 KB

After Tsunami
Name:  Indira point after tsunami.jpg
Views: 14891
Size:  56.0 KB

Last edited by MX6 : 1st November 2010 at 01:10.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 09:27   #17
BHPian

@MX6 : Thanks for the wonderful info. I gave my view point on something that I read some time ago, but seems I am way past the present.

And neighbours be aware, we know our mainland, wetland, submerged lands well enough. No tresspassing.

Lot of OT here, but where is the thread starter, afterall we all started to discuss the OT as the Andaman visitor is not to be seen.

Waiting for the wonderful travelogue please.
justwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 10:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

@mx,
Thanks for immediate clarification about Andaman and Nicabar island otherwise some enemy country will claim the island on the basis of Aargee's post.

Andaman is part of India and just not controlled by India.

e.g. The island of Diago-garcia which is at southern tip of Maldives is controlled by USA and that island is not part of USA.

The island of Hawai is part of USA though it is thousands of km away from mainland.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 1st November 2010 at 10:53.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 12:44   #19
BHPian

Sorry Guys, was held up with some personal work and now at office . Please wait till evening and i will put up the whole travelogue with pics.

Thanks,
Santosh
rk_sans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 13:00   #20
BHPian

RK, both the collage and the panaromic shot look great! I am eagerly waiting for the TL to come up. I am sure Andaman is a destination on top of must visit places for many of us here.
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 15:54   #21
BHPian

Default Planning and Booking

So initially i will start with the planning and booking process for the whole trip.

It was due for our annual vacation, so early September, wife and I were back to the drawing board to plan this year trip. This time we wanted to do something exotic location as we had missed our summer vacation this year. We had plans to drive down to Goa during summer which we cancelled at the last minute as my son fell and broke his hand, 10 days before the travel date.
So going back to the drawing board, first was to choose the place. which place to go ? Sri Lanka,Goa,kerala,Lakshwadeep, Kuala Lumpur, etc. lot of destinations came into our minds. We were looking for something different this time, not usual ones so Goa and Kerala were out of the options. Then came Srilanka, Lakshwadeep, KualaLumpur. Ruled out Kualalumpur because we did not want to do that as our son was very young and we wanted him to be little older to understand the world out there. Srilanka and Lakshwadeep were ruled out as we were apprehensive about the Veg food for my son as he is choosy in his menu.
So at this time, i remembered @hotstuff trip to Andaman. So revisited @hotstuff travelogue and others travelogue in teambhp.
Yep, we finalized our destination for this year's vacation, Its going to be "Andaman".

Next thing was to finalize the travel dates, this was more important from the point of my wife as she did not wanted to miss any classes of her course she is attending. After lots of discussion, the dates were fixed, 17th Oct to 22nd Oct. After the dates were fixed, i started searching for the flights, tried all the travel sites and airline sites but the flights for those dates from Bangalore was very expensive inspite of travel dates being more than 50 days before.
So next i started searching flights from Chennai. Finally got the Kingfisher from Chennai, so i booked the to and fro flight tickets first. I got 9.30 am flight from Chennai and 12.15pm back from port blair, so this made my travel simpler to Bangalore and Chennai.

Next booked a train from Blore to Chennai and Chennai to blore with some 3 to 4 hours buffer in between flights and train departures.Before this, did a quick search through teambhp and posted couple of queries regarding the traffic between Chennai Central to Airport, other options like travelling in car to Chennai, leave the car at airport, queries regarding taxi services, local trains, etc.

Now with all to and fro travel booked, next was to plan the itinerary and book the hotels/resorts. Couple of PM's to @hotstuff(Special thanks to @hotstuff for quick reply on my queries) and re-visiting old travelogues in teambhp, itinerary was ready. We wanted most our vacation to be relaxing rather than trying to see most places.
17th Night - Leave Bangalore
18th Morning - Reach Chennai
18th - Chennai to Port Blair
18th Afternoon - Reach Port Blair
18th - Visit Ross island (As we have the full afternoon to spend)
19th Morning - Leave to Havelock
19th - Havelock
20th - Havelock
21st - Havelock
21st Evening - Back to Port blair
22nd Afternoon - Back to chennai
22nd Evening - Train back to Blore

Now it was turn to book the hotels/resorts, we wanted to do scuba diving one day at havelock, so we narrowed down to Barefoot Scuba resort at Havelock. But i always wanted to stay at Barefoot resort at Beach No.7 as i had read and heard lot of good reviews about it. As we had plans to stay 2 nights and 3 days in Havelock, this gave a chance to stay one day at Barefoot Scuba resort and one day at Barefoot. So resorts at Havelock fixed, it was turn to book hotel at port blair. After couple of calls to some hotels and going through the reviews of hotels at trip advisor, finalized as TSG Emerald.
Booked all the resorts and hotel directly through online and also took what they call as " Meet and greet services", where they provide transfers like pick up and drop to airport, pickup and drop to hotel, Ferry ticket to havelock,pickup and drop to resort at havelock, etc.

Next i will post the actual trip with pics.
Old 1st November 2010, 18:12   #22
BHPian

Default The "D" Day

17th Night,
Left Bangalore to Chennai through Chennai Mail.
18th
5.30 am Reached Chennai station. Took a prepaid taxi to airport and reached airport around 7.00 am. Checked in and freshened up to have some breakfast. 9 am boarding was announced and next 5 mins we are in the plane all set to fly to Port Blair. Flight to Port Blair was uneventful.
11.30 am touched down at Port Blair and 10 mins was out of the airport. Reached the hotel in next 10 mins. As my booking was prepaid, the rooms were ready to be occupied.
So now we had the full afternoon to spend and we did not want to spend it at a hotel inside a city, so got ready and as planned took an auto to "Aberdeen Jetty". This is the jetty from where you can take a boat to Ross Island.

Son busy watching out on his maiden flight
Name:  DSC01129.JPG
Views: 4285
Size:  209.6 KB

Aberdeen Jetty
Name:  DSC01159.JPG
Views: 4316
Size:  210.9 KB

Ross Island
Name:  DSC01171.JPG
Views: 4301
Size:  217.3 KB

On the way to Ross island
Name:  DSCN2020.JPG
Views: 4289
Size:  144.5 KB

Customary photo of "Lighthouse"
Name:  DSCN2024.JPG
Views: 4415
Size:  193.9 KB

Map of Ross Island
Name:  DSCN2030.JPG
Views: 4167
Size:  144.4 KB

Subordinates Club at Ross Island
Name:  DSCN2047.JPG
Views: 4017
Size:  170.1 KB

Church at Ross Island
Name:  DSCN2057.JPG
Views: 3951
Size:  175.4 KB

My son enjoying the view at Ferar beach, Ross Island
Name:  DSCN2061.JPG
Views: 3901
Size:  178.9 KB

One more view of Ferar Beach, Ross Island
Name:  DSCN2088.JPG
Views: 3818
Size:  107.2 KB

Off topic pic at Ross island
Name:  DSCN2101.JPG
Views: 3825
Size:  192.3 KB
Old 1st November 2010, 19:19   #23
MX6
Senior - BHPian

The last pic is really cool. Must have been pretty exciting for your sun to soar first time in the skies. Good going RK. Seeing some of the pics here, I could hear the waves crash in my ears.
Got to kickstart the harihareshwar meet now.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 19:31   #24
BHPian

Excellent Pics .. Remembering my 2 years holiday in Port Blair .

The light house in the pic is called the North Bay and is good for Snorkling.

very first day I landed in Port Blair had gone there for Picnic with Friends.

RK_SANS .. Eagerly waiting for more pics.
vinukm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 19:34   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
The last pic is really cool. Must have been pretty exciting for your sun to soar first time in the skies. Good going RK. Seeing some of the pics here, I could hear the waves crash in my ears.
Got to kickstart the harihareshwar meet now.
Thanks @mx6. In fact my son was more excited than me and my wife about the whole trip.
I am hoping to put up the whole travelogue tonight with pics.
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:04   #26
BHPian

Default Havelock

19th
Sunrise and sunset is early at Andamans during this season and also we had the ferry to havelock leaving at 6am. Got up around 4.30 and got ready. The cab driver was at the hotel at 5.15 sharp and dropped us at "Phoenix Bay Jetty". As mentioned earlier i had opted for so called " Meet and greet Services" from the Barefoot Scuba resort people which included the ferry ticket also. The in-charge guy was waiting at the gate to handover the tickets. We boarded the ferry "MV Bambooka" and the journey to havelock started.
Reached Havelock at 8.30am and reached Barefoot Scuba resort.
First we enquired about the scuba diving schedule, they had already left for the day, so we had only option to do it the next day. So we booked the slot for tomorrow. Next had breakfast at the small restaurant at the resort called "Cafe Del Mar". Its a very basic restaurant but manageable.
So now we had the whole day to spend for ourselves. So we decided to hire a two wheeler. Two wheeler hire shop is around 100 mtrs from the resort. Hired an Honda Activa for 2 days with 4 ltrs of petrol, which was actually too much. 2 to 3 ltrs would be more than sufficient for two days.
Now We had Activa for our local transportation. We decided to ahead towards the village "Kalapathara". On the way there a lot of open beaches where one can safely play around without nobody to disturb you. There is one beach near "Kalapathar" Village which is very beautiful and clean. There are lot of small trees beside the beach also where one can rest peacefully. We liked this beach so much that we visited this beach almost everyday.

Forgot to mention that before we went towards this beach, we had our lunch at Wild Orchid restaurant, "The Red snapper". The food over here is the best on the island. The main chef in fact is from Bangalore.
We returned back from our most favorite beach around in the evening. As mentioned earlier it gets darker pretty early at Havelock during this season i believe, so 5.30pm was like 7pm. Spent sometime again at the beach opposite to the resort.
We freshened up and wanted some fruits for my son, so we thought we will go visit the market which was 2 mins from the resort. Vegetables at the market were so fresh and it was pretty cheap also. But the fruits were very expensive except bananas. They would have hanged a bunch of bananas and you can pick anyone and it cost only Rs.10. The bunch would minimum have 12 nos.
Then,where to have our dinner ? My son likes south Indian thali a lot, so we quickly searched the brochure given by barefoot scuba resort and we found there is one hotel at Jetty. Its called "Nala's Kingdom". Its a restaurant run by 2 brothers from Mangalore. The interiors are not so great but the food is pretty good and very cheap.
Had good south Indian thali and retired at the resort for the day.

20th
We got up early as we had to finish our breakfast by 7 am and report for Scuba Diving. We reported for scuba diving at 7.15 am. Initial we were asked to fill some forms, then a briefing was done about safety precautions, etc. Then we had to choose our wet suites, fins and masks,etc. The best part about the mask is that they have eye correction masks, suppose you are a short-sighted person and you were glasses, they have masks with proper corrections for short-sight.
Then we are taken in a small boat to Elephant beach where we did Scuba diving. Initial they teach some exercises like how to breathe and retrieve the mouth piece in case it comes out while diving, removing water from the mask, etc. Then they take us for diving along with one instructor for each of us. This is something i would recommend everybody to do it once in a lifetime atleast. Its a totally different world out there.
We had hot lunch after the dive in the boat itself and returned back around 2pm. As i had booked only one day over here, i had to vacate this resort and move to Barefoot resort. Reached Barefoot resort at radhanagar beach early evening and checked in to our room. The room was very spacious and nicely built keeping the environment in mind. So the whole evening was spent going around the resort and lesuirely spending time. We had dinner at the restaurant at Barefoot. Its called "Mahua Restaurant". If you are staying at Barefoot then you have only option to have food at their restaurant as there are no restaurants nearby. The nearby restaurant is around 12 kms away from this place which is 1 kms away from barefoot scuba resort. But the food at Barefoot resort is excellent.

21st
Today was the last day at Havelock and we wanted to spend very lesuirely today, so got up and headed to beach to spend some time. Barefoot resorts provide beach towels and mats to sit and spend time at beach. We spent time at beach till 8 am and then had breakfast at the restaurant. Returned back to room as we had to check out around 11 and reach jetty by 2pm as we had our ferry back to Port blair. There after it was uneventful for the rest of the day. Reached port blair and back again to TSG emerald.

Next last day at Port Blair.

MV Bambooka
Name:  DSC01188.JPG
Views: 4294
Size:  210.1 KB

On the way to Havelock
Name:  DSC01202.JPG
Views: 3709
Size:  207.9 KB

Name:  DSC01209.JPG
Views: 3685
Size:  233.8 KB

First sight of Havelock island
Name:  DSC01212.JPG
Views: 3682
Size:  194.1 KB

Name:  DSC01214.JPG
Views: 3632
Size:  191.6 KB

Name:  DSC01215.JPG
Views: 3643
Size:  206.1 KB

Our room at Barefoot Scuba Resort
Name:  DSC01218.JPG
Views: 3587
Size:  241.2 KB

My son playing at our favourite beach near "Kalapathar" Village
Name:  DSC01231.JPG
Views: 3564
Size:  215.3 KB

Beach at Barefoot Scuba Resort
Name:  DSC01256.JPG
Views: 3553
Size:  215.0 KB

Name:  DSC01257.JPG
Views: 3523
Size:  170.5 KB

Name:  DSC01268.JPG
Views: 3487
Size:  218.5 KB

Name:  DSC01275.JPG
Views: 3515
Size:  201.7 KB

Name:  DSC01278.JPG
Views: 3453
Size:  292.6 KB

Name:  DSC01280.JPG
Views: 3445
Size:  199.0 KB

Name:  DSC01293.JPG
Views: 3425
Size:  196.3 KB

Name:  DSC01321.JPG
Views: 3486
Size:  259.4 KB

Mahua Restaurant at Barefoot Resort
Name:  DSC01359.JPG
Views: 3574
Size:  226.4 KB

My son at the entrance of "The Red Snappers" restaurant at Wild Orchid
Name:  DSC01372.JPG
Views: 3444
Size:  231.4 KB

Name:  DSCN2019.JPG
Views: 3364
Size:  162.0 KB

Name:  DSCN2023.JPG
Views: 3349
Size:  133.8 KB

Name:  DSCN2114.JPG
Views: 3321
Size:  111.9 KB

Name:  DSCN2122.JPG
Views: 3293
Size:  106.9 KB

Name:  DSCN2133.JPG
Views: 3338
Size:  153.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2134.JPG
Views: 3281
Size:  148.4 KB

Name:  DSCN2138.JPG
Views: 3291
Size:  126.0 KB

Name:  DSCN2140.JPG
Views: 3294
Size:  127.5 KB

My son at play at our favourite beach
Name:  DSCN2152.JPG
Views: 3413
Size:  124.6 KB

Name:  DSCN2163.JPG
Views: 3275
Size:  151.0 KB

Name:  DSCN2178.JPG
Views: 3301
Size:  184.7 KB

Name:  DSCN2180.JPG
Views: 3261
Size:  153.1 KB
Old 2nd November 2010, 13:37   #27
BHPian

Rk sans - This is a very well written travelogue, with very nice pics ! Thanks for all the details, if i plan to visit the Andamans, i know which thread to refer & who to PM

Most of the places & beaches seem to be deserted , which is good for peace of mind & to relax. Is this an off season time you decided to visit ? Can you please share with us the details about the resort tariffs ?
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2010, 14:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Rk sans - This is a very well written travelogue, with very nice pics ! Thanks for all the details, if i plan to visit the Andamans, i know which thread to refer & who to PM

Most of the places & beaches seem to be deserted , which is good for peace of mind & to relax. Is this an off season time you decided to visit ? Can you please share with us the details about the resort tariffs ?
thanks Nirmal.
Oct is the start of the season.
Here are the links of resorts i stayed.

Barefoot Scuba

Welcome to the Andaman Islands! Resorts in Havelock Island, PADI scuba diving, dive resort, flights from Bangkok to Port Blair, eco-tours and more in the Andaman & Nicobar Islands, India. Scuba dive andamans, Andaman Nicobar, andamans resort,holidays
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:07   #29
BHPian

Some more pics of Havelock.

Jetty at Havelock
Name:  DSCN2182.JPG
Views: 3275
Size:  151.2 KB

Name:  DSCN2184.JPG
Views: 3272
Size:  138.5 KB

Name:  DSCN2186.JPG
Views: 3290
Size:  171.9 KB

Name:  DSCN2187.JPG
Views: 3229
Size:  155.7 KB

Beach at Barefoot Resort
Name:  DSCN2208.JPG
Views: 3287
Size:  160.3 KB

Name:  DSCN2219.JPG
Views: 3211
Size:  111.0 KB

Nicobari Cottage at Barefoot resort
Name:  DSCN2230.JPG
Views: 3316
Size:  201.4 KB
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Very nice rk_sans. All your pictures make me want to go there and feel it myself. Looks like you had a great trip. Keep the pictures rolling!!!
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote