Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 15th November 2010, 07:15   #16
Team-BHP Support

Classic one there Hari! Truly a history lesson. In text books we always read Vatapi as the Chalukya capital, but never as Badami. In fact in my initial few years of Bangalore life I was unaware that Badami is modern day Vatapi. As @Star said Badami is on my list too for quite some time.

Add to it the excellent snaps and also the dam in the end. Thanks sharing that. I had no idea of Vani Vilas Sagar.

Over all short-crisp and fantastic!

5 Stars from my side.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2010, 08:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

@ Pramod,
Thanks for the good words,
Travelogue after a long time for you, isnt it ?
Yes, Pramod, I've been travelling a bit, but not writing travelogues as most of the places I've been to recently have been more or less well documented here.

After leaving Kyathsandra at 6.30AM, you were able to reach Hubli at 10:30 AM? 350Kms in 4 Hours! Thats surely a quick drive.
It is an excellent road and one can comfortably cruise between 120-140 kmph.

Did you get to try "Bhutthi Oota" at Aihole or Pattadkal? "Bhutthi" is basically the food carried by the local village in a jute basket on her heads.
It would typically consist of Bhakri, greens, Onions, Baingan, and some gun powder (some dry tasty powders made of flour+chillis)
We were 4 ppl and had a stomach full of these along with fresh curds in a earthern pot. She was hesitant to even ask for money. We paid her generously as she was our saving grace in a place where u should be very lucky to find a hotel of any sort.
A lady did enquire about food at Pattadakal, and yes, she was carrying a basket, but we were looking forward to getting back to the hotel as we were quite exhausted.

@ Ampere,
Thanks, most of the history lessons in the travelogue are courtesy sources from the net. Only the travel writeup and pictures can be attributed to me.
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2010, 17:20   #18

Good one Hari. Loved the pics. Old temples and architecture interests me a lot. Another place that needs to be visited.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2010, 22:48   #19
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant! This circuit is often neglected but is an amazing experience. Just to recap, Chalukyan architecture at Badami was the forbinger of what you see in Ajanta - Ellora. We did the trip in 2006. One should try and plan the trip during monsoons when you can actually see a spectacle of beautifl water falls from the rocks forming the backdrop for Agastya Thirtha as seen in this picture.
Fauji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2010, 17:15   #20

Nice pic there Hari. Added to my trip list.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 15:04   #21
Senior - BHPian
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Re: Bangalore-Aihole-Pattadakal-Badami-Bangalore - the Heritage Run

Hari, I have used your wonderful travelogue to persuade a colleague and his family to travel to Aihole, Badami and Pattadakkal this month. They were impressed. Thank you for posting it here. I will pm you a couple of queries that I had.

pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2015, 15:16   #22
Default Re: Bangalore-Aihole-Pattadakal-Badami-Bangalore - the Heritage Run

We had been to Hampi and Badami last year and could not cover Aihole and Pattadkal during that trip and hence thinking of doing it now. How much time is required to see these two places at leisure and what is the best route for this.

Sorry for bumping up an old thread, but I couldn't find a more relevant one for my question.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote