Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th March 2011, 15:42   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Jeeplogue ®: A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group

Hey bro, you're most welcome and I'm glad to be of help. And congrats on joining the club of us lucky ones getting the royal treatment from the fantabulous folks of our defense forces. Sad to hear about the oil-in-the-plug thing but what's life without some unexpected adventures. Totally reminds me of what we, wifey & myself, went through when our clutch almost conked off after crossing Pagal Nullah. The artillery division EME unit's base at Tangste almost became our home away from home for two days!

Any plans for getting an old diesel Jeep and visiting that army unit for a rebuild?
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 16:26   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Jeeplogue ®: A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Hey bro, you're most welcome and I'm glad to be of help. And congrats on joining the club of us lucky ones getting the royal treatment from the fantabulous folks of our defense forces. Sad to hear about the oil-in-the-plug thing but what's life without some unexpected adventures.
Well said; though we were still fortunate that the thing happened very early morning. The situation would have been entirely different if it would have happened during the evening/ night time. And yeah we never thought that the relatively less-exciting Leh-Srinagar route will be having so much of adventure in store.
And by the way, you people not only answered to my queries but also provided the much needed confidence to embark on this journey. And that was really important for a rookie like me

Quote:
..Totally reminds me of what we, wifey & myself, went through when our clutch almost conked off after crossing Pagal Nullah. The artillery division EME unit's base at Tangste almost became our home away from home for two days!...
I could vividly recount reading through that experience. But i realized it to some extent this time, though my case was not that severe.

Quote:
....Any plans for getting an old diesel Jeep and visiting that army unit for a rebuild?
As if one jeep rebuild in a single lifetime is not enough...But tell you what, one more reason why an mpfi gypsy is the best vehicle for travelling to the most remote areas of India is the ease of repair in the hands of army even if something goes wrong.
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 12:09   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
If you are dreaming about it then definitely you are going to make it as well. People from all over India have been driving down to this region for quite some time now. Wish you will be able to make the trip at the earliest.
I read your TL all at one go. Amazing narration. Hats off to to you and 'Travelaholic' and of course to MM 440'

Your statement quoted above is true. I have started to dream
Night_Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2011, 19:48   #139
BHPian

Thanks to the Night Hawk for bringing this up.

Kandisa: Thank you for the very detailed and enjoyable travelogue. Sat through this for 7 hours enjoying and nurturing a dream that one day something like this will be possible for us.

Do you have any logs of distances, stays, and other necessary details written down somewhere, route maps etc? What might be the total distance traveled?

Also I would like to ask the jeepers if the THAR will be better to undertake such trips because of the CRDI miles muncher or is a custom built mm550 a better bet?

Thanks.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 10:38   #140
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to both of you for the appreciation and the patience to go through the log.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
.....I have started to dream
Around two weeks of leave (plus the journey time from down south), a bit of proper planning and some bit of luck (for smooth sailing on the roads) are all you need to make the dream come true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
....Do you have any logs of distances, stays, and other necessary details written down somewhere, route maps etc? What might be the total distance traveled?
I didn't maintain any log as such. Daywise, the route was: Delhi-Nalagarh-Manali-Jispa-Leh-Leh-(Leh-Pangong-Leh)-Nubra-Leh-Kargil- Srinagar-Delhi. Though we didn't get scope to stay at Srinagar courtesy the sudden disturbance. I am attaching three maps here,which might be useful. These are not made by me but taken from BCmtouring & internet.

Jeeplogue ®: A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group-pangongtsoandnubravalleymap.jpg

Name:  routeprofile.gif
Views: 1758
Size:  73.5 KB

Jeeplogue ®: A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group-srinagarlehhighwaymap.jpg

Now a days the Leh journey has become so common that you will get all the details you need for a careful planning of the trip. And offcourse there is this amazing resource from our Human road & travel encyclopedia Mr H V Kumar. hvkumar

Quote:
Also I would like to ask the jeepers if the THAR will be better to undertake such trips because of the CRDI miles muncher or is a custom built mm550 a better bet?
Being a new vehicle from the factory, ideally the THAR should be far more suitable vehicle to embark on this journey where the vehicle reliability should be top notch. Though, with a proper rebuild (proper workshop, genuine parts etc) a custom built 550 may also suit the purpose. But one need to have the confidence in his own jeep. Luckily for us, that confidence was there because of its performance on & off the road after the build up.
Old 15th June 2011, 09:45   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Fantastic thread. Took almost a complete day to finish off reading the thread at one shot.

Hats off to you passion and just love the jeep and a few photos are my wall papers (hope you dont mind it).

Cheers.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 14:53   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Fantastic thread. Took almost a complete day to finish off reading the thread at one shot.
Thanks for the patience. Yes the Leh logs are good to read at one go rather than coming back to the thread every day to see the new updates...

Quote:
..Hats off to you passion and just love the jeep and a few photos are my wall papers (hope you dont mind it).
In a forum with so many phenomenal photographers, its an honour to know that few of our pics are worth of being wallpapers!
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:25   #143
BHPian

I have read through your entire thread a few times now, from start to finish.

Happy for you that you lived your dream, and here's to many more coming your way to add to the Jeeplogue.

I have quite a mind to do this 'self drive' once, soon, and in my Cedia.

How did the Cedia hold on the trip? Throughout?

Are there Petrol availability issues in the valley?

Cheers again for being an inspiration, and for the awesomely breathtaking photographs!

Last edited by mandheers : 2nd August 2011 at 17:25. Reason: typo
mandheers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 23:33   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi

Had to go through your travelogue once again after we returned from Ladakh last June (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.). Your adventures are even more appreciated & praiseworthy after we covered the roads ourselves, and had experienced the road and weather conditions at first hand. I don't think I would ever be as brave as you, to venture into those terrain in a soft-top vehicle. Kudos to you for living your dream.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:21   #145
BHPian

Smile Re: Jeeplogue ®: A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group

Spent most of the day reading both your threads..this one and the one about the 440 build..all i can say is..WOW!!

I read through every page of the Jeeplogue with mounting amazement and excitement. What was that thing you said about the pics being below par? They were fantastic mate! What an adventure you had and with such an adventurous partner (your wife..not the Jeep)

The sedate drive to Nalagarh and relaxed evening gave no hint of what was to come. The treacherous drive upto to Rohtang , Gata Loops, arrival at Leh,Pangong Tso Visit, Magnetic Hill..i can go on and on, the pics and discription was fantastic.

The dramtic turn of events when you found yourself stuck in the middle of Drass and the subsequent rescue by the valiant Indian Army made for some nailbiting reading. I could only imagine you trudging up a desolate deserted road with your better half along with your wife stranded far away. Loved the way the Indian Army jumped to your rescue. They sacrifice so much for us yet they continue to give and give...

It was also the first time I saw pictures of the war memorial for our fallen brave and that moved me a lot.

The rush through Srinagar in the dead of the night only added to the suspense and drama.

As this post was ending i was feeling a bit sad as my journey seemed to be ending but then you had provided the name for the google search that led me to the "prequel" to this wonderful thread. I am alluding to the one about the build of your fantastic steed.

I would like to thank you and all others involved, the team of EOW and also the team that helped you build this fantastic vehicle in the first place for enriching my Team-BHP experience.

I too had a MM540 DP way back in1994 when i was in college. I had it converted to a Hard top with all modern conviences of that time , Music system, leather covered reclining bucket seats, AC, alloys and MRF Zigmas. Sadly it was sold of when i was away due to studies abroad and all i have left now is this one snap of it before the alloy wheels were even added. I am posting it for you.

Please PM me complete contact details of the EOW team as well as Mandeep who helped you build your dream vehicle.

Lastly i salute your passion.
Attached Thumbnails
Jeeplogue ®: A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group-scan0002.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 08:45   #146
Senior - BHPian

Glad to come back to my own thread after a break. Actually writing in Tbhp after a long time, been busy with the arrival of a new 'baby jeeper' in the family
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandheers View Post
.....I have quite a mind to do this 'self drive'
once, soon, and in my Cedia.
How did the Cedia hold on the trip? Throughout?
Are there Petrol availability issues in the valley?
Cheers again for being an inspiration, and for the awesomely breathtaking photographs!
Thanks for those kind words. During our trip the Cedia was in the experienced hands of Mandeep and he was in all praise for the vehicle. Except very few occasions where the ground clearance issue had to be dealt with cautiously, it performed flawlessly. Regarding petrol, filling the tank at Manali and having two jerrycans for extra fuel will secure the fuel issue for the journey to Leh. Once in Leh, you have ample options to fuel up. Only if you venture into bit offbeat circuit, you need to stock up fuel judiciously keeping a track on the total kms to be covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Hi
Had to go through your travelogue once again after we returned from Ladakh last June (Hawk-On-Fours® (H-4®) Roadtrip: Leh(t)'s go to Ladakh & Srinagar with QuickSilver.). Your adventures are even more appreciated & praiseworthy after we covered the roads ourselves, and had experienced the road and weather conditions at first hand. I don't think I would ever be as brave as you, to venture into those terrain in a soft-top vehicle. Kudos to you for living your dream.
I was actually going through your thread religiously till the last time i logged in the forum. Will complete the reading now.
Well that was very kind of you sir to utter those words. Before embarking on the journey, even we were also bit apprehensive whether we were doing the right thing by taking a soft top old jeep. But both me and my wife wanted to do this journey in the jeep so badly that we were mentally prepared to face the hardships. Offcourse we took the extra precautions to travel in the jeep but as the saying goes 'always expect the unexpected in these terrains', there were so many occasions which we even didn't imagine to face. Thankfully we were able to complete journey properly at the end. Though i don't know whether we will be brave enough ever to do such jeep journey again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Spent most of the day reading both your threads..this one and the one about the 440 build..all i can say is..WOW!!

I read through every page of the Jeeplogue with mounting amazement and excitement. What was that thing you said about the pics being below par? They were fantastic mate! What an adventure you had and with such an adventurous partner (your wife..not the Jeep)

The sedate drive to Nalagarh and relaxed evening gave no hint of what was to come.......
The dramtic turn of events when you found yourself stuck in the middle of Drass and the subsequent rescue by the valiant Indian Army made for some nailbiting reading. I could only imagine you trudging up a desolate deserted road with your better half along with your wife stranded far away. Loved the way the Indian Army jumped to your rescue. They sacrifice so much for us yet they continue to give and give...

It was also the first time I saw pictures of the war memorial for our fallen brave and that moved me a lot.

The rush through Srinagar in the dead of the night only added to the suspense and drama...............
I would like to thank you and all others involved, the team of EOW and also the team that helped you build this fantastic vehicle in the first place for enriching my Team-BHP experience...
Your post give a complete summary of the journey. Even my memories were refreshed after reading through this! Thanks a whole bunch for going through the travelogue in such a detail. Really appreciate that. Yes as i mentioned time and again, probably this jeeplogue wouldn't have been there at the 1st place if my better half were not as much passionate about the jeep thing as me. And it was only after coming back home, did we realize that the adventure quotient for the journey was really bit too high. Excluding the soft top jeep factor, the rainy weather in the Manali-Leh highway, driving through Tanglangla at pitch dark night with omnipresent effect of uncooked maggi at Pang, the 'getting stuck' episode after Kargil, driving at the dead of the night through the unrest at Srinagar....well these were way too much even for the seasoned travellers, leave alone a first timer like me.

Quote:
....I too had a MM540 DP way back in1994 when i was in college. ......Sadly it was sold of when i was away due to studies abroad and all i have left now is this one snap of it before the alloy wheels were even added. I am posting it for you.
Thanks for posting the snap. Indeed there is something about this old, impractical vehicle called jeep which never leaves your heart. Now that THAR is available, i think you can re-start the jeep saga without much of headache.
Sending you a PM right away with the details asked. And thanks once again for your post.
Old 9th August 2012, 17:47   #147
BHPian

Dear Kandisa & Partner,

You are such brave people and the entire trip to follow a dream; from the jeep to the homecoming. I am moved and inspired.

Summer of 2013; Destination Leh; here I come!

All the best to you and really great writing!

Best regards.
Suedehead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote