Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th December 2010, 13:26   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Jeeplogue : A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group

Sorry Kandisa don't really know the route of the detour. This was my first time to Leh so was more worried about high altitude and was enjoying the sights... So was not really noting down the detailed route...I guess when i am not the one driving i tend to pay less attention to the route.

Cheers,
Amit
amitwlele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 14:00   #77
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Jeeplogue : A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group

Kandisa, amazing trip you had! Snaps are just self explanatory on the level of adventure, keep the pic coming
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 14:01   #78
BHPian

Kandisa, bro did you get stuck in Leh or what! No updates for so long now.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 14:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Day 5 - Leh - Rest Day
------------------------
After the long and gruelling Jispa-Leh journey and catching sleep quite late at night, this day was supposed to be for complete rest. This was important from the acclimatization point of view also. We woke up pretty late compared to our usual standard, around 9 am, got fresh and went for the breakfast which had choice of food for everyone ranging from Paratha-sabji to toast-omlette. After filling the tummies it was time to have look around the lovely settings of Lha ri sa.

The owner was a really nice gentleman who came and met everyone asking about the journey and all. The architecture of the building blocks were of typical ladakhi style with ample wood work on white background. On one side there was garden with flowers everywhere and on the other side, small kitchen garden growing traditional ladakhi saags and few other vegetables. The parking lot was really big and a look at the jeep in broad daylight made me really amused seeing the kind of dirt it accummulated! So the 1st activity of the day was surely to get the jeep washed and cleaned.Took out the luggages one by one and thanks to the huge polythene bags i was carrying to cover individual luggage,things were safe and sound, though as expected there were dirt & water at every corner of the jeep.

I came back to the room for taking the keys of the jeep and saw Travelaholic in a slight discomfort regarding breathing. We were carrying a portable oxygen bottle and she took some but things were not improved much.Sanjay also gave some homoeopathic medicines. Though it was not that serious and things could 've been probably ok by taking rest, on the suggestion of the resort owner we thought to go to the hospital for a check up. He sent one of his men with us and Sanjay also was kind enough to accompany us. The Sonam Norbu memorial hospital was all crowded and many local people and few tourists were waiting in different sections of OPD. It was visible that the medical services were really struggling to meet the demand. The doc assured that nothing was serious still suggested to get a chest x-ray done. Now the only hospital in the region had only one X ray machine in working condition and there was a single man who was operating the instrument and getting the film developed as well. I read it somewhere that the applications for getting more diagnostics equipments in this hospital have been pending for quite a few years with the higher authority. Though this is the usual scene at most of the govt hospitals, considering this hospital as the sole support for the considerable number of people in such a remote region, things really need some improvement. Anyways, the x ray report was also normal and rest was recommended as expected.

We came back to the hotel and finally me and Mandeep went out with the vehicles to get them cleaned. Most of the workshops were on the Airport road and 1st we went to the authorized Mahindra cum Maruti service center. There was only an innova getting washed and it was almost half done, but the folks there simply refused to do any more washing job for the day! Now, i had heard few things about the laziness of the workshop guys here, but this was like too much! We requested them again but there answer was " if you want to get any other servicing job done, it will be done; but not the washing thing!" We came out on the main road and went to another garage who told us that it would take couple of hours, so we needed to deposit the keys. We left the jeep and Amar's gypsy and came back in the Cedia which was decided to be cleaned later. Took bath and went for the lunch. Travelaholic was feeling better by now.During the lunch i decided to try out the ladakhi saag item; it was different and the saag had a bit characteristic smell.

Taking a short nap we again went to the workshop to take back the vehicles. While the gypsy was halfway through the jeep was yet to make an entry into the ramp! After around an hour they started with the jeep. When it was getting washed i suddenly noticed that the surrounding hills were making an excellent backdrop. I really cursed myself for not carrying the camera as i was sure the cleaning of the jeep in this background would 've made some good shots! Nevertheless i thought to take some snaps in my cell cam. Excuse the horrible quality.

Name:  Image058.jpg
Views: 3134
Size:  390.3 KB

A local guy and a pick up driver meanwhile were shooting lots of queries regarding the jeep and the time was spent chitchatting with them. Mandeep and Amar went to back to the hotel by then. I decided to take off the carpets from the floor as they were all covered with muds. The petrol jeep doesn't like water too much and everytime in a washing session i tell the people not to put much pressurized water in the engine bay. Thankfully after getting dried for sometime with the bonnet open, it started without much fuss. Jeep was looking clean again and few of the other car owners started shooting few pics of the vehicle! Finally around 4.30 i left the workshop, bought some engine oil as level was low when we last checked at Jispa and came back to the hotel. Pics after the jeep reverted to the 'sophisticated' look, again taken in the cell cam

Name:  Image063.jpg
Views: 3008
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  Image065.jpg
Views: 2986
Size:  64.2 KB

Back to hotel:

Name:  IMG_5266.JPG
Views: 3045
Size:  403.2 KB

We decided to go to the market for a walk around and dine out. But before that topping up fuel was necessary. In stead of the pump in the city we went towards Karu. The sun was out completely and the shades of light and shadow were visible on the mountain peaks. Travelaholic, now in a much better situation, tried out her hands on the camera for clicking some pics.

The road to the petrol pump and the market

Name:  DSC07236.JPG
Views: 3005
Size:  357.1 KB

Name:  DSC07237.JPG
Views: 3010
Size:  413.4 KB

Name:  DSC07240.JPG
Views: 2938
Size:  413.5 KB

Name:  DSC07244.JPG
Views: 2907
Size:  415.6 KB

Name:  DSC07245.JPG
Views: 2837
Size:  371.2 KB

The sky and the light and shadow

Name:  DSC07250.JPG
Views: 2787
Size:  274.5 KB

Name:  DSC07253.JPG
Views: 2785
Size:  449.5 KB

Name:  DSC07258.JPG
Views: 2784
Size:  347.6 KB

Reflected sunlight was giving a nice look to the jeep

Name:  DSC07254.JPG
Views: 2835
Size:  118.2 KB

Jeeplogue : A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group-dsc07255.jpg

Jeeplogue : A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group-dsc07261.jpg

Jeeplogue : A JEEP Journey to Ladakh with Self Drive Expedition Group-dsc07263.jpg

Once the tanks were full, we proceeded towards the market. Parking as expected was very difficult,particularly it was a weekend. Finally managed to slot the jeep in a place. The next one-two hour was spent in some leisurely walk around the market. We had some mutton momos in one of the restaurants as an afternoon snack and the surroundings of Leh city were looking beautiful from the terrace.

Few zoom shots:

Name:  DSC07265.JPG
Views: 2717
Size:  372.7 KB

Name:  DSC07268.JPG
Views: 2707
Size:  379.6 KB

Name:  DSC07270.JPG
Views: 2702
Size:  389.8 KB

Name:  DSC07277.JPG
Views: 2700
Size:  324.6 KB

Glimpses of the market from top

Name:  DSC07280.jpg
Views: 2694
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  DSC07281.JPG
Views: 2735
Size:  498.8 KB

We bought few Buddhist prayer flags,few CD s of local music, gave some customized T-shirt orders and finally had the dinner in one of the restaurants the name of which i am unable to recollect right now (Dreamland or something like that). We had chicken steaks and it was good. It started drizzling by then and finally we came back to the hotel around 10.30. Pangong Tso was the plan for the next day and this was another set of excitement. I never saw a picture of a Jeep standing in front of this lake and clicking a picture of our jeep with the lake in the backdrop, was a long cherished dream...
Kandisa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 16:32   #80
BHPian

Pics with the cellphone have come out well. The Jeep getting a wash with the mountains in the background looks good, no distracting foreground would have been better though.

Was the restaurant's name Wonderland by any chance? If so, even I used to call it Dreamland to be corrected by wifey all the time.

Waiting for fresh looking pics of Pangong now.
Old 14th December 2010, 22:53   #81
BHPian

just when you think the leh travels have been written to death (thats the reason why i didnt write about it)some one comes along and does it all over again and we get hooked .AMAZING write up AMAZING pictures .
just by the way when we are doing the manali leh route in our big suvs feeling on top of the world for" ACHIEVING" the ultimate driving pleasure we see some sixty year old local doing the drive daily in his old 800 as part and parcel of his daily routine the feeling is humbling.
sierrakamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 17:13   #82
BHPian

Kandia, it's been 3 days since your last update mate!!! Please don't get lost in gawking at the pics of Pangong and post your experiences ahead soon.
Old 16th December 2010, 20:10   #83
BHPian

@Kandisa
This thread is so inspiring, I was hooked to this thread, just to see the Jeep. The videos are truly amazing.
I want to do the Leh drive myself now. But i live in Bangalore, that means there's no way I can drive to Leh.
Are there any car rentals, that I can use if i ever wanted to do this.
RROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 21:11   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
@Kandisa
This thread is so inspiring, I was hooked to this thread, just to see the Jeep. The videos are truly amazing.
I want to do the Leh drive myself now. But i live in Bangalore, that means there's no way I can drive to Leh.

Hi,
great to know you liked the expedition and the jeep,it took me sometime to build it up.Surely you can join in the convoy,many of my fellow travelers would be coming from different parts of the country next year,if you wish to drive,i can suggest a person who lends his land cruiser.

renegade
renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2010, 23:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

Awesome would be an understatement! At a point of time, this section was flooded with Ladakh trip logs, seemed like it was THE place to be! Refreshing to see it again after a certain gap, if I may say so.

Keep it coming guys! Eagerly waiting for more.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 10:44   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Pics with the cellphone have come out well. The Jeep getting a wash with the mountains in the background looks good, no distracting foreground would have been better though.
Was the restaurant's name Wonderland by any chance? If so, even I used to call it Dreamland to be corrected by wifey all the time.
Thanks. But i really wish i was carrying the camera while the jeep was getting washed. Well i still feel the name of the restaurant starts with 'D'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrakamat View Post
just when you think the leh travels have been written to death (thats the reason why i didnt write about it)some one comes along and does it all over again and we get hooked .AMAZING write up AMAZING pictures...
Even i also thought initially whether to post a full fledged travelogue at all. But then thought to do it just because of the JEEP factor. As i have already told before i always wanted to see a Leh journey done in a Jeep, so fulfilled the desire myself.
Quote:
..just by the way when we are doing the manali leh route in our big suvs feeling on top of the world for" ACHIEVING" the ultimate driving pleasure we see some sixty year old local doing the drive daily in his old 800 as part and parcel of his daily routine the feeling is humbling.
How true! The single visual that actually makes me very humble is that of a handicapped cyclist who only had one leg to paddle up his cycle up the steep passes of the Manali Leh route! It still feels sort of unbelievable for me. And if you ask about the motivation of the journey it was just to click a few pics of the jeep in one of the best natural settings in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Kandia, it's been 3 days since your last update mate!!! Please don't get lost in gawking at the pics of Pangong and post your experiences ahead soon.
I am extremely sorry mate, but the delay is not intentional. Certain sites are blocked in my office, preventing from uploading the videos and my home pc has crashed yet again! So just allow me some more time to recover, i am as much willing to post furthe rupdates here as aer to go through it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
@Kandisa
Thanks a lot. As i have said, the thread is existing here just because of the JEEP thing. I wouldn't have written the thread at the 1st place had i not done this journey in the Jeep.

Quote:
Your assumptions are 100% wrong. Why do you feel just because you stay at Bangalore, you can't drive to Leh? There are so many people from Bangalore and Mumbai who have done these in their own vehicles. Off course you need to allott yourself a few more extra days to cover the distance between Banaglore to Delhi. But that is it. Even this year Rahul along with his family from Mumbai has done this trip. Regarding car rentals, well you already have got lead from renegade, rest if you finally decide to go ahead with the trip, something or other will be managed for sure. Tell you what, even though I stay at Delhi, it was not very easy to do this trip for me and my wife because of various reasons ranging from financial to managing leaves and so on. But we two were so keen to do this in the jeep that we decided to try more than we can to manage everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Awesome would be an understatement! At a point of time, this section was flooded with Ladakh trip logs, seemed like it was THE place to be! Refreshing to see it again after a certain gap, if I may say so.
Keep it coming guys! Eagerly waiting for more.
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes for the last few years suddenly there have been a huge increase in the number of visitors to this area. Yes it is definitely one of those incredible places in India, though there are more similar areas at different parts of the country and those have not received as much attention as Ladakh so far.
Kandisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2010, 12:57   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
Well i still feel the name of the restaurant starts with 'D'
I guess you need to go back there to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandisa View Post
I am extremely sorry mate, but the delay is not intentional. Certain sites are blocked in my office, preventing from uploading the videos and my home pc has crashed yet again! So just allow me some more time to recover, i am as much willing to post furthe rupdates here as aer to go through it.
All I want to say has already been said before!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I don't know why but all the travelogues of Ladakh take more time than the actual trip. Why?
There's this jinx that goes on and on.
Old 17th December 2010, 22:49   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade View Post
Hi,
great to know you liked the expedition and the jeep,it took me sometime to build it up.Surely you can join in the convoy,many of my fellow travelers would be coming from different parts of the country next year,if you wish to drive,i can suggest a person who lends his land cruiser.

renegade
Thanks Renegade.
Can you please PM me the details. I am currently out of the country and would like plan for the trip. As you know getting leaves is the big IF!!

@Kandisa
Thanks for you advise man. The reason I said i cannot make it is, i have never driven on long distances in India. I drove about 300 or 400 KM's but that's it. And you need a lot of energy for such a long drive.
Anyways as suggested, i have requested renegade to PM me the details. So i will start working on this. Hopefully everything falls into place, and the plan works out.
RROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2010, 10:36   #89
BHPian

nice write up and good photography. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
raveen_2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 06:38   #90
BHPian

Hey, Can we have more updates on this thread please?

I am waiting to hear the rest of the story. The Jeep looks nice after a wash.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote