Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th December 2010, 10:21   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Unni, admit it! The only reason you embrked on this drive was because i teased you saying my car covers more kms within the city, than your highway muncher. Looks like you have caught up.

Congrats on the successful drive and looking forward to the rest of the writeup. Between, didnt know HVK accompanied you guys till Mumbai.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 10:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa! That is some trip! A good inspiration and boost now that I am looking forward to own a Figo D in the near future.

If someone does the NE, tag me along. (HVK/Drivoblog/others...)

I too nurse this fascination, but on two-wheels in 10 days visiting places.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th December 2010 at 10:58.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 10:55   #18
Senior - BHPian

Unni,
This was a great drive, that too at the spur of the moment. The cancellation of your leaves at the first instance must have been a heartbreak for you.
And don't have words to match the grandeur of HVK that he has in himself which shows in the way he goes all out to guide everybody and take time out and make himself available whenever he is called upon.
The pictures are very tempting and I have been secretly nursing the idea of doing this drive sometime.
HVK Sir, hope you will be around to guide me too.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:19   #19
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Hi Unni,

A big congratulations on completing the marathon trip.

If you moved from Mumbai to Surat then you must have crossed Thane vis Ghodbunder Road, if you had honked a bit louder I would have been there to meet you. Anyways there's always a next time. Keep the interesting trip details coming. The pics are really awesome.

BTW how did you interpret the Hindi/Gujarati signs while going through Gujarat.
ghodlur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:33   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
We met up with MX6 and Anil (not sure of his Tbhp ID) at Pune for a wonderful lunch. Thanks guys for taking the time out to meet us. From there on we continued to Thane.
Thats me "anilisanil". It was great meeting you guys and you did inspire me to do one such marathon in Figo.

Until then, I will make do by closely following your experiences, so keep updating the thread!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great drive Unni,was following your progress courtesy HVK.Lovely indeed
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:52   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oss View Post
Awesome mate! Keep 'em coming.
Thanks OSS. Will keep the log flowing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALINGA View Post
Congratulation UNNI.AK for your GQ drive.

waiting for more pics and logs.....

I got PM and SMS from HVK sir during your progress in orissa and your night halt at BALASORE instead of BBSR.

One thing i must write here.....

Salute you HVK sir, for caring a fellow BHPian.

I got at least 3-4 PM and 3-4 SMS regarding your drive in orissa.

I read many GQ / Long drive travelogue in the forum. And all got most of the info from HVK sir.

Thank You HVK sir, You always keep some time apart to help us from your busy schedule.
Thanks Kalinga. HVK had told us that he was in touch with you during our Orissa stint. This whole trip would've been close to impossible if not for HVK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Unni - Great story and a Great experience it would have been.
We happened to travel during the same time. I was driving all across MH, during that time. On a Black Fiesta !
What a coincidence!! I'm sure we would have crossed paths some where, unaware!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Hey Unni and JK,

Congratulations on your safe drive. As HVK said it definitely takes a lot of patience to keep yourself to self-imposed speed limits and still complete GQ in 7 days.
I would sure love to do a drive with HVK some times. (luck permitting) I have read through every line of his at least 2-3 times for the whole butan / NE trip and the sunrise to sunset drive.
HVK, what are your plans for Apr to Jul 2011. Are you planning some trip, we can tuck along?
Thanks Akaush. It does take a bit of control to limit the speeds. Some of the roads make you want to floor the pedal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oh!!! So its you guys with who HVK sir rode is it and didn't allow you guys to take a break huh?
Keep the travelogue coming & pls share your experiences. Waiting eagerly to read more.
Thanks Aargee. He was a gentleman and did allow us to take breaks when needed!! As a habit, I too dont stop much when driving. Ask Benny (benbsb29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
That must be a Guinness Record by itself HVK not driving..you guys must be pretty good negotiators. Great going, keep the experience coming. Slowly am getting pushed to make a solo trip in my Wagon R, to sure when I would get tipped over.
Now that you say, it must've been one of those really rare occasions when he has let himself be chauffeured than drive!! Do do the solo trip. It is an experience. I wouldn't suggest something this long, but shorter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Congrats on completing this trip. I am waiting for further updates .
Thanks Newpunter. Will update the logs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Unni, admit it! The only reason you embrked on this drive was because i teased you saying my car covers more kms within the city, than your highway muncher. Looks like you have caught up.

Congrats on the successful drive and looking forward to the rest of the writeup. Between, didnt know HVK accompanied you guys till Mumbai.
Good one Benny. Now you better watch out, you'll have catching up to do .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Whoa! That is some trip! A good inspiration and boost now that I am looking forward to own a Figo D in the near future.

If someone does the NE, tag me along. (HVK/Drivoblog/others...)

I too nurse this fascination, but on two-wheels in 10 days visiting places.
You should. It is an experience in itself. Trust me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Unni,
This was a great drive, that too at the spur of the moment. The cancellation of your leaves at the first instance must have been a heartbreak for you.
And don't have words to match the grandeur of HVK that he has in himself which shows in the way he goes all out to guide everybody and take time out and make himself available whenever he is called upon.
The pictures are very tempting and I have been secretly nursing the idea of doing this drive sometime.
HVK Sir, hope you will be around to guide me too.
Thanks Fordmanchau. Almost all my trips are short notice ones. We all know about HVK and how he goes out of his way to help. There is no way we can thank him enough with words or gesture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Unni,

A big congratulations on completing the marathon trip.

If you moved from Mumbai to Surat then you must have crossed Thane vis Ghodbunder Road, if you had honked a bit louder I would have been there to meet you. Anyways there's always a next time. Keep the interesting trip details coming. The pics are really awesome.

BTW how did you interpret the Hindi/Gujarati signs while going through Gujarat.
Thanks Ghodlur. If there is one thing I could've done better in this trip, that was to plan better to meet people on the way. There will be a next time pretty soon. A Rajasthan trip some time in first quarter of next year might materialize. I can read Hindi pretty well, so it was not too much of a trouble. But Gujarati was a problem. And all that was over come, thanks to the wonderful detailed logs from HVK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Thats me "anilisanil". It was great meeting you guys and you did inspire me to do one such marathon in Figo.

Until then, I will make do by closely following your experiences, so keep updating the thread!!
You should. It is worth every minute spend.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:53   #23
Senior - BHPian

Unni, congrats on completing the 7 day GQ Drive. Nice start. Expecting wonderful incidents and photos to flood this thread, especially when you had a very experienced navigator till Mumbai.

Your car number made me remember seeing you many a times in NH7 .

I heard from Shaju that you are a Drivaholic who never tires on driving, keep it up . Lets meet some day for a click and drive!
jacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 11:55   #24
BHPian

Remarkable achievement there, Unni. Congratulations !!

6200 kms in 6 days would be considered as a milestone in anybody's driving career. wishing you more such achievements.

To me, no words would describe Hvkumar's contribution to this forum and its members. A true champion.
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 12:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

roamingrao, you never wrote about your own GQ Drive 2 months ago with your family, that was quite a drive! Thanks, your inputs from that drive have helped Unni plan his one too - you had shared it with both of us.

Whatver happened to your TL?

Reading Gujarathi is quite simple - the place names look almost the same as when written in Hindi, I have never had problems decoding Gujarathi.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 13:54   #26
BHPian

That was some impressive driving Unni. Driving approx 1800 Kms nearly non-stop is not an easy task. waiting for further updates on the drive.

Regarding HVK, I believe Bangalore- Mumbai would have been like traveling on a normal day to office and back.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 14:24   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Congrats, Unni (and JK), for completing such a long drive safely and patiently. I had a chance of sitting with him from Bangalore-Bombay and I never felt safer, both Unni and JK have great temparament for such marathon drives, never losing their composure or cool, unperturbed by other rash drivers or traffic interruptions. Never did they cross their self-imposed safe speed limits, and sitting in their car I never felt a sudden manouevre or abrupt braking situation. I must thank MX6 and Anil for hosting a lovely lunch (and much-needed break) for us on the Pune bypass. Mx6 was tracking me on Google Latitude and even the time of the meet was "automated" - we could track each other and time our meeting easily. I have to specially thank our team-bhp friends adc and Sudipto for helping out Unni find accommodation in Kolkata, and offering to guide them through the city live. Great gesture, Anirban and Sudipto. Kalinga was the one person I relied upon to probe hotels in Bhubaneswar for Unni & JK and as these 2 drove we were busy exchanging PMs and SMSes to see where we could get them decent and convenient hotel rooms! Thanks, Kalinga, this is the team spirit that this forum stands for. For me, I loved every minute of their drive since I was tracking them live on Google Latitude and it was a virtual drive for me, and lots of feedback on road and driving conditions. Thanks, Unni. And that was a very very long drive, Unni, you paced it very well and napped enough to keep you within human tolerance limits, despite the non-stop drive from Bangalore to Udaipur. I am sure we will hear more from Unni how his Ford Fiesta Diesel performed during the drive.
Kumarji, this coming from you, means a lot. Happy to know that you appreciate our driving style and felt comfortable. You are someone I consider to be the best in terms of travel and related knowledge. JK and me can never thank you enough for helping us through out the journey. The innumerable SMS and calls helped us immensely. You were doing all the cordination in the back ground, which we should have ideally done, leaving us with just the responsibility of enjoying the drive. We were driving a lot at night and felt safe that you were tracking us on Latitude. Anirban, Sudipto, Kalinga - Thank you guys a lot for helping us out thru HVK. Thirthankar - Thank you for the Service Advisors number at Victoria Ford, Kolkatta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Great drive Unni,was following your progress courtesy HVK.Lovely indeed
Thanks Ranjit. Have heard of you from HVK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Unni, congrats on completing the 7 day GQ Drive. Nice start. Expecting wonderful incidents and photos to flood this thread, especially when you had a very experienced navigator till Mumbai. Your car number made me remember seeing you many a times in NH7 . I heard from Shaju that you are a Drivaholic who never tires on driving, keep it up . Lets meet some day for a click and drive!
Hey Jacs, having HVK along till Mumbai was the head start we needed. I've never driven north of Bangalore. The farthest I've gone is till Hebbal!!! Next time you see me on NH7, or for that matter any road, please please stop me. Shaju has told me about you. Looking forward to meeting you soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Remarkable achievement there, Unni. Congratulations !! 6200 kms in 6 days would be considered as a milestone in anybody's driving career. wishing you more such achievements. To me, no words would describe Hvkumar's contribution to this forum and its members. A true champion.
The PM you send me was a morale booster. Thanks a lot for that. Like HVK said, high time you put in your log!.
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
That was some impressive driving Unni. Driving approx 1800 Kms nearly non-stop is not an easy task. waiting for further updates on the drive. Regarding HVK, I believe Bangalore- Mumbai would have been like traveling on a normal day to office and back.
For him most drives are like a normal days drive to office. :-)

Last edited by unni.ak : 8th December 2010 at 14:26.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 16:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Wah! kya baat hain. Unni gunning for the big one and pulling it through. What was playing when you were driving all this while? Mapmyindia was used?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 18:05   #29
Senior - BHPian

Whoa, that is a whopping distance you covered! Multiply it by four and you complete a trip around the world!!

Keep the pics coming!
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2010, 19:24   #30
BHPian

Default Udaipur Chittorgarh Bhilwara Kishangarh Jaipur - Behror Gurgaon Delhi M

Stage 2

Udaipur Chittorgarh Bhilwara Kishangarh Jaipur - Behror Gurgaon Delhi Mathura Agra Etawah Sikandra Kanpur - Allahabad

Start Time 1655hrs 29th Nov, Udaipur
Stop Time 2030hrs 30th Nov, Allahabad
Distance 1393kms

Although we had plans of spending some more time in Udaipur and seeing some of the major attractions, lack of available time prevented us from doing so. Rajasthan needs to be planned as a whole separate trip. All that we did at Udaipur was to roam the streets for an hour, and have some street food. Had some of the best samosas, kachoris and gajjar ka halwa. The next target was Allahabad.

Leaving Udaipur we made decent and rapid progress through Chittogarh, and Bhilwara. Stopped for dinner at Kishangarh at 2125hrs. Leaving at 2225hrs, the drive was continuous with us taking turns at the wheel. There was a lot of lorry traffic and we ended up in huge huge jam at the Haryana border. Ended up spending more than an hour in the jam. Fuelled up to avail the low price in Haryana (Rs36.90/-). Got in and out of Gurgaon pretty fast.

Delhi. Driving through Delhi was an experience. A place I had heard of, read of, saw of, from child hood. And there I was driving through the streets of Delhi at around 0500hrs. I was in awe.

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4045.jpg

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4053.jpg

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4058.jpg

With a tight schedule to keep, we kept going, reaching Hodal at 0744hrs. Got into Dab Chick for breakfast. And what a breakfast. We feasted on sandwiches, cutlets and pakodas!! Left Dab Chick at 0900hrs.

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4064.jpg

The route has heavy traffic since it leads to Agra. Lots of private cars and cabs jostling for space with tractors, and most being driven real fast. Crossed Agra at 1036hrs, Etawah at 1223hrs, Sikandra at 1328hrs.

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4070.jpg

And, we met with an accident. There was this lorry that was keeping consistently to the right lane, and I was not able to over take through the left due to local traffic. After honking for a while, he makes way to the left and I accelerate to over take through the right. Only to find a Tata Ace right in front me. The lorry was actually giving way to Ace coming the wrong way on the right lane. I flicked to the left, but the right ORVM glanced the Ace, shattering to pieces. Stopped for 2-3mins to check for damage, and as luck would have there was no other damage than the broken ORVM. Well, no point crying over spilt milk. Carried on our way, Kanpur BP at 1423hrs, and off the by pass into Allahabad bound road by about 1730hrs.

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4073.jpg

Name:  IMG_4075.JPG
Views: 3944
Size:  227.9 KB

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4077.jpg

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4079.jpg

Allahabad. Got stuck in a jam at a railway crossing as soon as we entered the town. Watch out for people on cycles and bike. They do not care about others or their vehicles. Cycles and bikes actually brushed past the car, leaving scratch marks on the bumper, doors and mirror cover. Again played out the rigmarole of going around trying to find a hotel. Enquired at 3 places before we got one. I was relieved. Had a good dinner and went to sleep. Next day was Calcutta.

It was a day of mixed emotions. And no disrespect to anybody from Allahabad. But my experience getting into Allahabad was bad.

We had seen multiple accidents enroute. But there was one which kind of shocked us a bit. Before Kishangarh, we found this body on the road, a case of hit and run for sure, that was so badly twisted. It looked like a rag that was twisted. Wonder why the body was left on the road.

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_4068.jpg
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote