Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th December 2010, 20:14   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Fantastic achievement there Unni and JK
I really enjoyed reading your log.
thanks for sharing.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 20:18   #62
Senior - BHPian

unni congratulations on accomplishing this feat man. Am sure this would be the fastest ever GQ drive logged on this very forum.
So whats the issue with the Orissa border and the myth behind following a AP registered vehicle ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 20:29   #63
BHPian

Unni and JK, Congrats on completing the drive without any hassle. I am following the thread from the day you had started and was waiting to send a wish once you are done with it. A great write up and pics with full of information rated 5 *.
BulZire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 20:38   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi Unni,

Your travelogue is getting more like a Alfred Hitchcock movie, lots of suspense and on the edge thrills.

Glad to know that you could get out of the mega jam and into Orissa. Just imagine your itenary going for a toss had you stayed put in the jam.

BTW how was the service experience in Kolkatta? What did it cost you for replacing the OVRM. How much for getting the puncture repaired.

This is getting more interesting than the Saas-bahu serial, so I am glued for now.

I have rated this thread a 5 star. Keep it coming Unni.
Thank you sir! The service experience in Kolkatta was good. They got the work done pretty fast. The ORVM cost me Rs 3000/-. Puncture was repaired for Rs 80/-. Had we got into any major jams, the whole trip would've got delayed by days. Thankfully, none lasted too long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Amazing Drive and a wonderful wrtie up , Unni. And HVK really gave some good support to make your Drive successful.

Awaiting to read more of last lap, other incidents, the ambulance story etc . . .
Thanks Rastapopoulos! It truly was an amazing experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
You forgot to mention you took to Lepakshi a car which had dust on it from 6 states! You were saying you wanted to collect more dust from AP, right? Hope you arent complaining now.
Good one! Yes, the dusty pic is coming up soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrotter View Post
"Chilly chicken, chilly chicken and nothing but chilly chicken" would be apt, i think. I still get the comfy feeling I told you about whenever I think of that hotel.
Ah at last you make your presence felt. People, this is JK. My partner in crime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
The Baleshwaroooo-Bengalarooooo drive must be ranking a sone of the looooongest non-stop drives! Great show, Unni & JK.

Which State do you rate has the best GQ roads? Would that be AP?
Thanks Kumarji. Yes, AP would rate has having the best of roads. GJ too has some really nice stretches, especially the NE 1.

Last edited by unni.ak : 13th December 2010 at 20:42.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 20:55   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
So whats the issue with the Orissa border and the myth behind following a AP registered vehicle ?
Ya same question ringing in my head for all the states

Why do you have to be so worried when you are in a private registered car. I guess you mentioned it before as well for other states also. Do let us know about it.

Anyways, Congratulations on achieving a dream of every highway driving enthusiast. It was true fun reading this thread and I'm sure it was more fun doing it for real.

Last edited by CorsaLove : 13th December 2010 at 20:55. Reason: correction
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 21:01   #66
Team-BHP Support

Unni, congrats buddy on this drive. You brought back memories of a wonderful drive I had with some great friends 2 years ago.

I agree about the roads in AP/GJ. However, during our drive we found the GQ part in Bihar & eastern UP to be of exceptional quality. What's the condition now?
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 21:08   #67
BHPian

Taken on a different day, idea belongs to benbsb29!!

Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!-img_0178.jpg

PS: Now you know how difficult it is to maintain black!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Fantastic achievement there Unni and JK
I really enjoyed reading your log.
thanks for sharing.
Thanks Star. Pleasure is all ours!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
unni congratulations on accomplishing this feat man. Am sure this would be the fastest ever GQ drive logged on this very forum.
RJ, I think the fastest drive still goes to HVK-HRAG group. They did it in 6days. We took 7 days almost.

Orissa border is ill-managed. I'm sure HVK will have more to say about this. We've not come across a jam so huge in any of the other borders. 3.5lanes packed with trucks with no way to go forward! As a strategy we had decided to tail some local registration vehicle when ever possible, to cross borders. They've experience on their side. However, when we reached Orissa exit and entry to AP, we tried tailing closed to 5 vehicles of AP registration, and they just kept diverting away or stopping by the way side! And then we got the ambulance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
Ya same question ringing in my head for all the states

Why do you have to be so worried when you are in a private registered car. I guess you mentioned it before as well for other states also. Do let us know about it.

Anyways, Congratulations on achieving a dream of every highway driving enthusiast. It was true fun reading this thread and I'm sure it was more fun doing it for real.
Thanks CorsaLove. Police at the check posts love to get some cash out of you. There is only so much you can argue. They can seriously delay your schedules or harass you no end. By the book, by law/rule, there is nothing wrong. But then we all know how things work!

Last edited by unni.ak : 13th December 2010 at 21:09.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:18   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Baleshwar – Bhubaneswar – Behrampur - Vijaywada – Guntur - Chennai – B'lore

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Start Time – 0650hrs 3rd Dec, Calcutta
Stop Time – 1930hrs 4th Dec, Bangalore
Distance – 1892kms
That is some distance guys

I am sure you guys have inspired a few here.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 08:30   #69
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Unni,

Just wanted to know if you have left any stamp of your presence at the places you stopped by (Something like the man did on the moon). Maybe that will be an identifier for other travel enthusiasts who would venture on the GQ trip.

I am sure you must have packed some of the chilly chicken whick JK was chanting for your onward journey or was it the case of too many chickens.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 09:06   #70
BHPian

Unni, was waiting for the Orissa part! When I did the Chn-Kol-Chn drive in Jan10, the worst part was Orissa - AP border and another 50-70 km in various parts within Orissa. How is it now? Still lot of diversions or things are better.

Only thing which keeps me from impromptu drive to Kol is the Orissa stretch...otherwise I would be making a trip to Kol every month;-}

hvkumar@, among the blr-chn-ap-orissa-kol GQs which I have covered, I will rate AP the best.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 10:57   #71
BHPian

What a feat with your Fiesta! Thoroughly enjoyed the write up. You've given ideas to many here looking for a 7-day vacation with a 20k budget (assuming you got an average 18kmpl)

I've heard stories of 'staged' accidents at nights on highways. Did you encounter any other wierd incidents? Liked that tempo with 'Asst Pilot'
sv1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 11:36   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Unni, congrats buddy on this drive. You brought back memories of a wonderful drive I had with some great friends 2 years ago.

I agree about the roads in AP/GJ. However, during our drive we found the GQ part in Bihar & eastern UP to be of exceptional quality. What's the condition now?
The GQ part in Bihar and UP were good. However, the problem there is wrong side driving. You are almost always in a state of high alert!! This kind of prevents you from enjoying the road as much. I wouldn't say that its not there in other states, it is, but much lesser of a menace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That is some distance guys

I am sure you guys have inspired a few here.
Thanks Sheel. We hope so too. More people should do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Unni,

Just wanted to know if you have left any stamp of your presence at the places you stopped by (Something like the man did on the moon). Maybe that will be an identifier for other travel enthusiasts who would venture on the GQ trip.

I am sure you must have packed some of the chilly chicken whick JK was chanting for your onward journey or was it the case of too many chickens.
well, the marks would've disappeared by now!! We did mark territory in all states!!! Ah, that chilly chicken was just too good. Memories, spicy and hot memories!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Unni, was waiting for the Orissa part! When I did the Chn-Kol-Chn drive in Jan10, the worst part was Orissa - AP border and another 50-70 km in various parts within Orissa. How is it now? Still lot of diversions or things are better.

Only thing which keeps me from impromptu drive to Kol is the Orissa stretch...otherwise I would be making a trip to Kol every month;-}

hvkumar@, among the blr-chn-ap-orissa-kol GQs which I have covered, I will rate AP the best.
There is still a lot of diversions, most of them unmarked, and a good amount of two lane driving. Things might've improved from your last trip, but, I'm sure by a slight margin. We did not find any work happening in the bad stretches at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv1976 View Post
What a feat with your Fiesta! Thoroughly enjoyed the write up. You've given ideas to many here looking for a 7-day vacation with a 20k budget (assuming you got an average 18kmpl)

I've heard stories of 'staged' accidents at nights on highways. Did you encounter any other wierd incidents? Liked that tempo with 'Asst Pilot'
I will post the expense details later today. Yes, with 20k it can be easily done, provided you have two people. We did get an avg of 18kmpl easily. The "Asst Pilot" was funny. That too on a real old 407!!
Old 14th December 2010, 12:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Cool unni you have increased your range quite a lot from the times when riding a pulsar to kemmangundi

Awesome trip, you have given me a solid idea, now i have to look for a diesel heart to keep the costs down
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 12:55   #74
BHPian

“For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.” – Robert Louis Stevenson

What stands out through all this is that the GQ drive is possible. It did look enormous when we looked at the map, had our discussions and started out from Bangalore. I’m just a normal guy with a laptop-bound job, which is pretty boring!! Another of the millions swarming the streets of Bangalore to make a livelihood. If I can do this, I’m sure any of you reading this can do too. All it requires is some careful planning, some good company (possibly some one who can share the driving responsibility too), and a strong will. Hope you found the log a good read.

Expenses:

1. Tolls – Rs 3433 (87 toll booths)
2. Fuel (Diesel) – Rs 12471
3. Lodging – Rs 6491
4. Food – Rs 3535

Total – Rs 25930/-

We consumed ~330 litres of diesel, burning just above a full tank every day at an average. The best mileage we got was 22kmpl on the AP stretch, with worst about 17kmpl in the Calcutta – Orissa sector. Average mileage over 6138kms was ~18.5kmpl. Of the 6138kms, we drove ~ 400kms without AC, since RJ – Delhi – Allahabad sections were cold and we just used fresh air mode. However, the best mileage we got was with 100% AC on!!

So, go on ahead… the road awaits you!!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 13:31   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Cool unni you have increased your range quite a lot from the times when riding a pulsar to kemmangundi

Awesome trip, you have given me a solid idea, now i have to look for a diesel heart to keep the costs down
Yes, the range has gone up a lot!! And its so much easier in a car!! A must do trip for you