Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 9th January 2011, 09:57   #121
BHPian

Arrow Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

@Unni: Just went through the wonderful thread. Voted 5*.

So thats 'Fiestattitude'.

I missed meeting you at Kolkata as I was on the move as well. I hope Victoria Ford Experience was good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
Liked the trukkers message - Log apne dukh se dukhi nahin hein, dusre ke sukh se dukhi hein!
Remember another one from a log saying something like 'Ager moton sukh nei' with a attrective picture along.
I only posted it San:

Last edited by btirthankar : 9th January 2011 at 09:59.
btirthankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:53   #122
BHPian

Default Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboo View Post

my mist silver scorpio(n) crde 2.6 was on the return trip from kolkata to my hometown vizag when this happened
I do remember seeing a Scorpio when crossing the border. Did you have family with you? The color of the Scorpio I saw escapes me now, but it is very possible it was me whom you spotted. If only you had some TBHP sticker on. The ambulance we saw was AP registered for sure, dont have any pics, but the reason we followed it was since it had AP registeration!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
Hai Unni,

Just completed reading all the pages in one go, don't know how I missed it.

This is one heck of a drive, great TLog and nice narration with pictures. You lived your dream which is also an inspiration.

Brought back memories of our GQ drive; reading yours brought back all the good memories.

Like Suman said it was wicked of you not to buzz me when you passed through A'bad, I would have loved meeting you for a chai, whatever time it is.

Thanks for sharing,

--Ramky
My apologies. Like I said, we missed meeting TBhpians on the way. But, there is always a next time and I'll bug you then for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btirthankar View Post
@Unni: Just went through the wonderful thread. Voted 5*.

So thats 'Fiestattitude'.

I missed meeting you at Kolkata as I was on the move as well. I hope Victoria Ford Experience was good.
Thanks BT. The service experience was good, thanks again for the Service Adviser contact you provided.
unni.ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 19:41   #123
BHPian

Talking Re: Around India in 7 Days - GQ Drive!!

have stickers on my rides now, next time you do the golden quad will ensure you boys dont miss me

booboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 17:50   #124
Senior - BHPian

Read the entire stuff once again. The first and last leg coverage is tremendous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
There are a lot of places, rather all the places, we just drove through
How many days you would have needed to complete this circuit, if you don't have a co-driver?...only co-passenger
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 18:31   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Read the entire stuff once again. The first and last leg coverage is tremendous.

How many days you would have needed to complete this circuit, if you don't have a co-driver?...only co-passenger
Surprise indeed! I mean someone bumping up an old thread! Maybe I too should read it once over again!

HVK and team had done it in 6days. But then, they had HVK. With almost a day for car service thrown in, we did it in 7days. With me being the only driver, maybe 8days. And if you want to stop and enjoy the places, then make that around 12-15days.
unni.ak is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 18:48   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How many days is subjective.
roamingrao did it in 13-15 days, dropping in on many places en route.
The GQ Drive can be done in even 4 days with some zestful driving if one aspires to do it only for the drive (and I am not talking of driving through the night).
How many drivers are needed is also a subjective question - a solo driver can also do it.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 19:01   #127
Senior - BHPian

HVK Sir - These travelogues are tempting As you rightly pointed out, the coverage depends on the driver, who is going to be on the drivers seat. I knew its difficult for me to drive at this pace, but just wanted to hear from Unni, so that I can add necessary days for my style. Tentatively, I would add another 3 days to the itinerary with very minimal site seeing for planning the trip & you know where I will ping after I get my base works done, if I am convinced of this trip.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2011, 19:13   #128
BHPian

Quote:
HVK Sir - These travelogues are tempting As you rightly pointed out, the coverage depends on the driver, who is going to be on the drivers seat. I knew its difficult for me to drive at this pace, but just wanted to hear from Unni, so that I can add necessary days for my style. Tentatively, I would add another 3 days to the itinerary with very minimal site seeing for planning the trip & you know where I will ping after I get my base works done, if I am convinced of this trip.
10days should be a good time frame to complete the 6000 odd kms. Best of luck with the planning.
Old 24th November 2011, 13:03   #129
BHPian

Came across this thread and boy i am soo soo much thrilled. Hats off to you guys and the narration was fantastic. Great going Unni. Even i am planning for a GQ trip next year,may be end of Feb 2012 . This trip of yours have just added more confidence in me.

I have stated plannig for the trip and have created a macro site , where i keep adding stuff as i read through such great Travalogue. Here is the link to the micro site.

https://sites.google.com/site/chalogq/home
Ravi Yadav is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 01:01   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Yadav View Post
Came across this thread and boy i am soo soo much thrilled. Hats off to you guys and the narration was fantastic. Great going Unni. Even i am planning for a GQ trip next year,may be end of Feb 2012 . This trip of yours have just added more confidence in me.

I have stated plannig for the trip and have created a macro site , where i keep adding stuff as i read through such great Travalogue. Here is the link to the micro site.

https://sites.google.com/site/chalogq/home
Best of luck. Went through the link provided and it seems you have planned your route well. Its great to know that you are staying and spending time enroute to sight see, which we were unable to. I guess there are some more updates to be done on the link.
Old 28th November 2013, 13:25   #131
BHPian

Default Because Everyone Needs a Story: GQ Drive

A brief background: I have been granted an admit to the ISB Hyderabad for the Class of 2015. So I will be resigning from my job early March and taking a month off. As a result, I was looking for ideas on what to do before I become a student again. Over one of the many (happy) inebriated discussions that has followed, one suggestion that had come up was a India trip. And for a motorhead, a trip has to be a road trip!

I decided to do some homework, and have come up with a route plan of sorts, along with a working on Halt points and travel times. Both are attached. Essentially I plan to start from Delhi, go west and around the country and come back to Delhi, before driving down to Hyderabad.

Route Plan

Would request help from all BHPians, especially HVK Sir and SSTraveller on the following:
  1. Feasibility of the Plan (Drive Times, Average Speed etc.)
  2. Route Chosen
  3. Accommodation and Eating Joints.
  4. Any other advice - I have driven for long distances before (600-800 kms), but this is something different.

Also, I love food. So if anyone could help out with advice on local specialties and must not miss places, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance! Cheers guys!
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Trip Plan.xlsx (15.4 KB, 203 views)
lordavenger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 13:52   #132
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Because Everyone Needs a Story: GQ Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordavenger View Post
As a result, I was looking for ideas on what to do before I become a student again. Over one of the many (happy) inebriated discussions that has followed, one suggestion that had come up was a India trip. And for a motorhead, a trip has to be a road trip!
A GQ drive is more like a speed run. Instead would suggest if you can do a cross country, where you spend couple of days at each place and soak in what the place has to offer. That would be much more enjoyable.
ampere is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 14:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Would request help from all BHPians, especially HVK Sir and SSTraveller on the following:
  1. Feasibility of the Plan (Drive Times, Average Speed etc.)
  2. Route Chosen
  3. Accommodation and Eating Joints.
  4. Any other advice - I have driven for long distances before (600-800 kms), but this is something different.
Why are the Puri-Kolkata and Vizag-Puri legs shown in your plan as that slow.

Vizag-Puri is about 7 hours of driving time. Of course if you are planning on stopping along the way at Chilika and having crabs, lobsters or other exotic seafood it will take longer.

Puri-Kolkata is normally about 8hours, though road works will mean it may take longer.
julupani is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 15:07   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
A GQ drive is more like a speed run. Instead would suggest if you can do a cross country, where you spend couple of days at each place and soak in what the place has to offer. That would be much more enjoyable.
Unfortunately certain other commitments mean that I have only around 22 days to complete this in. So I made my trip plan as a mixture of the two. I have provisioned for halts in places where I have absolutely never been or have special memories that I want to relive. 3 days I have kept as reserve days for changes that I might (will) make later. Again, if you could point out a place that I must stop at, I will definitely integrate that into the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
Why are the Puri-Kolkata and Vizag-Puri legs shown in your plan as that slow.
I have never driven on this stretch. Thus kept the average speed low to be on the safer side. Now updated. Thanks a lot.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Trip Plan.xlsx (15.4 KB, 210 views)
lordavenger is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 16:34   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Also, I love food. So if anyone could help out with advice on local specialties and must not miss places, I would be extremely grateful!

Thanks in advance! Cheers guys!
That is at total odds with the idea of a GQ drive. You cannot be a tourist and a trucker at the sametime

but that said, GOOD idea on spending your time before student-hood!!
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote