Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th December 2010, 13:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort

The family trekking fever started with the trek to Purandar Fort. You can read about it at http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ndar-fort.html (Back to mother nature and a piece of history : A family trek to Purandar Fort)

Winter is not the best time to trek to the forts to enjoy the beauty of nature. The best time is during or soon after the monsoons. Everything would be going envy with green then. But it could mean slippery trails, thundershowers etc. May not be the most ideal time to trek with family and kids.

Winter wipes away most of the green carpet. The horizon gets to be hazy and foggy. But then the weather is at its absolute best. Neither too cold nor too hot. Just perfect. To make most of this weather, we decided to do another family trek. The destination was Tikona Fort. The date was Saturday, 11-Dec-2010.

This is basically a photologue, of the things I saw while climbing upto the fort.

Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000923.jpg</a><br /> <br />
-Biju</div>   <div style=

Last edited by pjbiju : 13th December 2010 at 14:03.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 14:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
the things I saw while climbing upto the fort.
wow,
one more treklogue!!!

I see backwater of Pavana dam and another fort in the pic!!

Can anyone guess the name of another fort in the posted pic taken from Tikona fort?
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 14:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Default Re: Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort

Another fort? Ashish, I hope you are not kidding. I absolutely had no idea that we could see another fort from there. I hope someone will be able to identify the fort. Anyway this trek was completely different from the one to Purandar.

Btw, Ashish, I have always wanted to tell you that I like your tagline "Aim of every argument or discussion should not be victory but progress. " a lot

Last edited by pjbiju : 13th December 2010 at 14:57.
Old 13th December 2010, 17:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post

Can anyone guess the name of another fort in the posted pic taken from Tikona fort?
From this image of locations of the forts around pune found on internet, it could be one of the three forts viz. Tung (or Kathingad), Lohagad, Visapur.

Name:  forts around Pune.JPG
Views: 13915
Size:  38.9 KB<br /> <br />
But i am not sure which one but considering the hills on the right hand side of the pictures, i can guess it could be Lohagad</div>   <div style=

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th December 2010 at 17:10.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 17:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
it could be one of the three forts viz. Tung (or Kathingad), Lohagad, Visapur.
i can guess it could be Lohagad
It is one of the three forts you mentioned but not Lohgad!!!
Old 13th December 2010, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It is one of the three forts you mentioned but not Lohgad!!!
If it is across Pawna reservior, then it is Tung Fort or Kathingad = Difficult fort

BTW in the picture posted, i could not find the Pawna reservior or FORT like structure. It seems i am getting older or your eye-sight is better then mine for sure.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 13th December 2010 at 17:56.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 18:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
If it is across Pawna reservior, then it is Tung Fort or Kathingad = Difficult fort
BTW in the picture posted, i could not find the Pawna reservior or FORT like structure.

Please ref two rectangles in the following pic,
the waterbody is part of pawana backwater and the other rectangle shows the fort named TUNG.
[ someone, please confirm, now a days, my memory is showing age].

There are many forts with twin names when recalled like tung-tikona, visapur-lohgad, purandar-vajragad, torna-rajgad.
In each case, these are the forts which are very near to each other.

Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000923.jpg</a></div>   <div style=

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 13th December 2010 at 18:20.
Old 13th December 2010, 18:19   #8
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another fort? Ashish, I hope you are not kidding. I absolutely had no idea that we could see another fort from there.
Knowing AP, he can see atleast 2 forts from any fort on a clear day. I remember him spotting Rajgad from a photo of mine where I clambered up a barren peak.

PJB. Any updates on the Sultan on the Fort in the Sky that I asked?
I have the Arabian Tale ready for you.

Sorry about the OT.
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 18:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Knowing AP, he can see atleast 2 forts from any fort on a clear day. I remember him spotting Rajgad from a photo of mine where I clambered up a barren peak.

PJB. Any updates on the Sultan on the Fort in the Sky that I asked?
I have the Arabian Tale ready for you.

Sorry about the OT.
About the Sultan - not yet. I have asked my brother to keep a look out for a copy.

And about Ashish finding other forts from any fort - well, he is VERY TALL. So it helps him to spot those. My vision gets blocked by the tall grass.

Unfortunately, something is wrong with my internet connection or Team-Bhp server. I am having trouble uploading pictures. The uploading window errors out. So will try to upload more pictures from home.

@Star. That is a nice picture - of all the forts. I had lost it on my PC somewhere.

Last edited by pjbiju : 13th December 2010 at 18:32.
Old 13th December 2010, 18:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I remember him spotting Rajgad from a photo of mine where I clambered up a barren peak.
oh,
you had taken that pic from a barren hillock near kapurhol/ketkawale balaji temple.

Quote:
he is VERY TALL. So it helps him to spot those.
Some times, this tallness become hindrance, ask star!!!

Btw, the fort i am mentioning here may be Tung OR Chota/mota sulka.[ all peaks in sahyadri looks same, please confirm].
Old 13th December 2010, 21:57   #11
Senior - BHPian

Default Tikona Fort

Tikona means Triangle. I presume Tikona is a Marathi word. The Tikona fort is quite small going by its perimeter. It is perched on top of a triangular pyramid like hill. You can see this in the picture below

Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-fort_closeup_ge.png</a><br /> <br />
The hill is connected to other hills by a narrow ridge. You can see this from the picture below.<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-map_ge.png</a><br /> <br />
According to wiki, Tikona is about 3500 ft above sea level. It is situated in Maval, west of Pune. The village Tikona Peth is around 50 km from Pune (Aundh). The base from where we started the trek was 54 km from my home.<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-map.png</a><br /> <br />
A little history of Tikona Fort according to <a rel=Tikona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Malik Ahmed Nizamshah of the Nizam dynasty conquered the fort in 1585 and aanexed it to the Nizam territory. In 1657 Shivaji Maharaj (The Great Maratha Emperor) brought the whole of Konkan, which had been Nizam territory, under his control when he conquered Tikona along with the forts of Karnala, Lohgad, Mahuli, Songad, Tala, and Visapur.
This fort was a strategic nexus: the centre of control for the entire Pawana Mawal region. In 1660, Netaji Palkar was charged with ensuring the security of fort Tikona. Jaysingh invaded the regionn in 1665 and the local villages were by Dilerkhan but the forts held out.
Tikona fort was surrendered to the Mughal warrior Kubadkhan, who had attacked the region together with Halalkhan and others, according to the Treaty of Purandar signed on 12 June 1665. Kubadkhan took over the fort on 18 June but it was later recaptured by the Marathas
The location of the fort made it easy to defend itself. It was used to keep on eye on the Maval region. It was a small fort, but an important one.

Forts always make me wonder. Why did we need all those protection and fortification? Why did not the people live in peace? Anyway things have not changed at all. We build forts around ourselves and then around our homes and then around our apartment buildings. Countries no longer need forts, because they do not stand any chance against today's weapons. I think we are going back in time, walking in reverse.

Here's where it started. The Tikona Peth village.
Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000795.jpg</a><br /> <br />
The village had a couple of joints which served snacks and some food. We had hot piping special masala tea and steaming vada pavs. The owner promised to make special misal pav for us on our return.</div>   <div style=

Last edited by pjbiju : 13th December 2010 at 22:10.
Old 13th December 2010, 22:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

We started from home at around 7:30 a.m. We took the Chandini Chowk-Pirangut-Paud route to get to Tikona Peth. We had our tea and vada pavs at the village.

And then my son found his favourite vehicle. I think he is going to buy one of these once he grows up.
Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000801.jpg</a><br /> <br />
Before we reached the village, we passed by a beautiful lake. I have no idea what it is called. But it brought back a flood of memories.<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000782_panorama.jpg</a><br /> <br />
The big granite stones with almost flat faces. They were the earliest laundry machines I have known. I used to tug along with my mom to the nearby canal and watch her wash our clothes. As we grew older, my brothers and I would volunteer to help her with her laundry.<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000789.jpg</a><br /> <br />
And then the memories of all those weekends that we used to spend in the waters (canals, ponds & lakes) came rushing to my mind. We would take bath, play, fish, swim upstream and downstream. We would be in water like water buffaloes - not wanting to get out ever.<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000787.jpg</a><br /> <br />
Again the serene waters were beckoning us to jump in. You can see a villager swimming in the waters.<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000786.jpg</a></div>   <div style=

Last edited by pjbiju : 13th December 2010 at 22:55.
Old 14th December 2010, 19:21   #13
BHPian

Me and my friend had climbed there (Tung) about 15 years back. We had to walk through knee high slush (ugh!) in between the fields from the water body to the base of the fort. At first we missed the steps that lead up and wandered around it and over a smooth grassy gradient slope that ended on the top against a vertical walled embankment used to keep watch over the area. Both of us decided we did not have the climbing skills to take that route so before we headed down and back the way we came. On the we spent some time lazing around on the slope. A Malabar whistling schoolboy kept us highly entertained with its joyous notes as we lazed on our back. Please take a minute to hear this truant enjoy his day out of classroom here: .

The granite steps leading up are almost vertical and slippery in the rains. The top is very narrow and a small temple with a tarpaulin tin roof rattled about in the gusty winds. It started raining a fine misty rain as we climbed and very windy, almost enough to topple a person over the edge. There was no solace or succor or comfort at the top, no place to even light a stove.

We climbed down around 16:30 so that we would not miss the ferry across the water. while we waited, we enjoyed a swim (which is banned) and splashed about to wash away the sweat from our bodies.

It was a heavenly experience!!

Cheers

Last edited by Ragul : 14th December 2010 at 19:25.
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 19:58   #14
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Mind-boggling photos you have put up here PJB. Excellent stuff. Early mornings are the best time to photograph lakes as they are still. Waiting for your trek to unfold.
By the way, Did you go all the way to Pavana dam as well? Or was it only to Tikona fort and back?
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2010, 22:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

While we were having our breakfast at the small tea shop we started hearing some shouting and female shrieks. I could not make out anything of what was being said. But there was this slightly elderly lady who started beating the hell out of a man. The others in the village quickly separated them and it was all peace and quiet.

Around the lake that we stopped (pictured in my earlier post) some kind of a resort seems to be coming up. Civilization is slowly and surely creeping in. I think they should hang huge billboards saying "Buri Nazarwale tera mooh kala" to ward off certain evil eyes from such places.

We turned off into the mud track and started driving. I think those roads would be really muddy and cars may not be able to drive through those roads during the rains. It was a kind of mini-OTR for the Swift and the Figo. How I wish I had a jeep on those tracks. We stopped near a temple and parked our cars. Got out to see a lot of scratches on the sides. To avoid the slightly deep ruts at some stretches, I had moved to the left. Bad move.

We then had a birthday celebration. It was the birthday of one our friends. It was a special feeling to celebrate the birthday at such a place. With the cake cut and eaten we started our climb.

Our destination in the distance
Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000790.jpg</a><br /> <br />
Our rides resting at the base of the trail<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000813.jpg</a><br /> <br />
The little one (only kid this time) checking out the trail<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000811.jpg</a><br /> <br />
And then he decides to start climbing<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000808.jpg</a><br /> <br />
At the start of the trail<br /> <a href=Back to mother nature and a piece of history Part II - Family Trek to Tikona Fort-p1000815.jpg</a><br /> <br /> <div style=
Quote:
Mind-boggling photos you have put up here PJB. Excellent stuff. Early mornings are the best time to photograph lakes as they are still. Waiting for your trek to unfold.
By the way, Did you go all the way to Pavana dam as well? Or was it only to Tikona fort and back?
Thanks MS. Well, we did not go to Pavana dam. I think we should have. May be on another Saturday.

@Ragul. Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess Tung is one of the more difficult of the treks.

Last edited by pjbiju : 14th December 2010 at 22:32.