Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th February 2011, 18:44   #151
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !

Srimukhalingam photos
Attached Thumbnails
Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam1.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam2.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam4.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam5.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam6.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam7.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam8.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam9.jpg  

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-srimukhalingam11.jpg  

rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 19:34   #152
BHPian

awesome trip sir. truly you ruled the GQ with your family! and now i'm staring at the map looking at it as to when i'm going to do such a trip.
leylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 19:59   #153
Senior - BHPian

@Roamingrao, awesome, simply awesome travelogue !

Your narration style is right up there, straight from the heart, engrossing, with unusual attention to detail

Having driven from Bangalore to Mumbai recently, I now feel motivated to do the eastern leg of the GQ.

Congratulations to you and your family again !
mooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 22:52   #154
BHPian

Default Thanksgiving !

Quote:
Originally Posted by noonrock View Post
Breathtaking and spectacular. Your trip is worthy of National Geographic coverage and should be considered by the Travel Channel, a US TV channel. I applaud you and envy you. Thank you, from the western desert region of the US.
Thank you, noonrock ! Your thoughts are overwhelming ! Please do visit India whenever you find time. I'm sure you'll have a good and memorable time here, exploring India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Congrats sir, I feel like I have been travelling with you on this journey too. Thanks again for such a wonderful narration. Good luck for many more such travels
Selfdrive, your appreciation throughout this thread has been inspiring us. Thank you. As desired by you, we wish you take up a similar trip at the earliest. My family joins me in wishing you all the best !

Quote:
Originally Posted by idlebrain View Post
Wonderful travelogue. Probably you can paste a big size India map on wall and fix your pictures taken at each place along the GQ on the map in your living room
Good idea ! Thank you, Idlebrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordday View Post
Don't know what to say. All this while it was almost like travelling with you. Now it will be a sort of vacuum.
I understand your sentiments, fordday, and wish to thank you for relating to us. We appreciate your thoughts !

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkg View Post
Srimukhalingam photos
rkg sir, Thank you again for those photographs. 8th century temples ! We now wish we had more time exploring / getting to know more of that area. We are indeed glad to have these photos / info from a native of the region. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by leylander View Post
awesome trip sir. and now i'm staring at the map looking at it as to when i'm going to do such a trip.
Hi leylander, Thank you. Our wishes are with you to convert your dreams into reality. All the best !

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
awesome, simply awesome travelogue !Your narration style is right up there, straight from the heart, engrossing, with unusual attention to detail Congratulations to you and your family again !

Having driven from Bangalore to Mumbai recently, I now feel motivated to do the eastern leg of the GQ.
Thank you Murli, for those kind words.. its definetely motivating !

Best wishes to take up the trip! Its not far.. nothing is not achievable. In fact, you'll enjoy ! just make a start.

----

Before I paste some speadsheets on the finer details / statistics of the trip, I feel its the right time to thank / feel indebted to :

This magnanimous forum, for the way it is - in providing a platform for us to share details, statistics, experiences and opinions.

Super Admin, GTO, entire moderator team and server team for their relentless pursuit in maintaining the quality of this forum. We have proof !! If you, as a team, at any point of time feel this a thankless job, please let us know, we would send more ! Thank you.

All distinguished and senior members, members and guests for contributing / participating your time and effort in shaping this forum.

All members ( and guests ) who have visited this thread and have appreciated / contributed here. Thank you. We know what it means to play to empty stands ! Your responses have ensured a full stadium !

Members Chevy lover, Corsa love, HKP, San Phrangmung, Self drive, Starvegabond and 13 other members ( incognito ) who have rated this thread. My wife, Gudiya and Titli join me in heartily appreciating your gesture. Thank you. We only hope this thread has lived upto your expectations !

HVKumar, without whose support and guidance this trip would'nt have been so smooth. Sir, Thank you.
Sir, a printout of your reply to my itinerary and your GQ log was enough for us to convince our parents to take up this trip ! We consider that moment as 'muhurtha' of this trip ! We thank you for being a part of that moment. Even today, my father wonders .... 2 lakh+ kms on indian roads ? That must be something !

My wife, kids and factory employees, who have found me staring at photographs on the computer screen for days on end ! They must be wondering - what this guy is up to ?

Lastly, all who have beared with me for taking 60 days to write a travelogue of 13 days. I hope you understand.

Last edited by roamingrao : 12th February 2011 at 22:54.
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 01:08   #155
Senior - BHPian

So we still have something more to look forward to - yay! I can now postpone the withdrawal syptoms.
As for my travels in India, step 1 is done - bought a car seat for my son today. Step 2 to buy a car when I return to Pune. Interim steps of convincing the wife will commence soon I hope to meet up with you on the travels of either of us
One question that is bugging me - Is it supposed to be good luck to drive clockwise on the GQ? I havent heard of anyone doing it anti clockwise
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 11:15   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
One question that is bugging me - Is it supposed to be good luck to drive clockwise on the GQ? I havent heard of anyone doing it anti clockwise
Well, I am superstitious, I have done it only clock-wise and would not do it otherwise. It is a matter of personal opinion and choice.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 11:32   #157
BHPian

What a thread! I wish there was a "10 star rating" instead of a "5 star".
One of the finest threads ever has come to an end.Feel a little sad about it now.
But reading your TL over the last 1 month or so has brought smiles,anxiety and a whole lot of joy.
I promise myself that I'll do this GQ drive pretty soon.

Thanks for all the knowledge,the great visuals and the fantastic writing skills that we have been privileged to.Salute your spirit sir!
hallik9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 11:34   #158
BHPian

Wow! I sinecerely appreciate the way, you have detailed your naration with photographs. It is sort of marathon of writing to put the details in the forum for others benifit.

Since you were driving all the time, the detailed photography must be done by your wife/daughter. That shows the planning and involvement of your family for the trip.

Everyday evening my daughter (who is of same age of your kids) also joined me to see the updates of your thread.

Now, I have to answere her question, when we are going to do similar drive ??
Ram_NP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 16:28   #159
BHPian

Default Re: Thanksgiving !

You seem to be an inspiration for a generation of drivers, along with HVKUMAR, Thanks a lot, for instilling the thought that we could also do what we had heard that others do in say, the US, of driving coast to coast.

I have my dates finalized, barring a few things like vacations/exams of kids, the D Day is October 01,2011. My Manager is surprised that I have applied leave 9 months in advance, like planning a baby, truly it is.

Meet you soon, maybe need to meet your better half, primarily Titli & Gudiya, to take inputs on how they fared on this "Drivathon"

As always, Thanks for showing the way
Rajesh1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 22:25   #160
BHPian

Hello Sir, have been following your thread from day one. Its an accomplishment in itself in what you and your family has achieved. Me and my wife have been wondering when to this trip (You have been our inspiration). Rated this this thread 5 star. We also own a Scorpio so looking at your travelogue and photographs we decided that we would do it very soon.
octane78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2011, 23:09   #161
Senior - BHPian

Default A Brilliant Travelogue!

A brilliant travelogue you have written here, Rao sir ji! Hats off to you!!!

I've been following your log from Day one and it is truly inspiring me and my dearest 'navigator'!!!

Once again, congratulations on achieving this superhuman feat!!! I wish I could rate this log 5 Stars again and again!
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 21:10   #162
BHPian

Fantastic diary. You're truly blessed to carry out this trip with full participation of your family. Very few people will ever have the chance to do such trips, no matter what their financial, professional and social set up are. The grind of daily with social, professional and family life typically will put damper to such endeavours. Great feat. Congrats.
VLOCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 21:56   #163
BHPian

Wonderful travelogue, this is and what a way to end this. Shows your modesty, Rao Saab, though you have achieved one great feat. Hats off
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2011, 22:06   #164
BHPian

Rao Sir. Like they say in our language (North KA Kannada) in Hubli "Yeshtu rating kottaru kadime ne"

For others who do not understand Kannada: It means "Whatever the highest ratings are, its still less"

Your thread truly deserves it! Please say HI to Gudia and Titli from Myra's side and hope she too enjoys the same way like they both did when WE do this stint.

Thank you very much for giving a perfect "Lead by example" experience!
CorsaLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 10:20   #165
BHPian

Dear Mr Rao,

I encore all that have been written in the previous posts-a feat that few of us would venture out on. You have inspired me to leave on drive covering-KA, MH, GJ, RJ, Daman & Slivassa-covering about 5000+ kms. D Day is today-leaving Bangalore at 1300 hrs and Hope to catch up with HV Kumar at Ghobhunder-if I reach at an earthly hour. I have driven though most of the States during my tenure in the Army but it was on duty. Todays drive will be an advance celebration of our 29th Wedding Anniversary for my wife and me.
Regards,

Col Jude Mayne
Judemayne is offline   Reply With Quote