Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th February 2011, 12:56   #166
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !

Sir, I wish you a happy and safe drive and many great memories. I hope you bring some pictures back so that we can share your experiences too!
Which car do you intend to use?
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 16:29   #167
BHPian

All the best colonel! Have a safe drive and hope to see lot of pics and writeups.
fordday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:39   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
One question that is bugging me - Is it supposed to be good luck to drive clockwise on the GQ? I havent heard of anyone doing it anti clockwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Well, I am superstitious, I have done it only clock-wise and would not do it otherwise. It is a matter of personal opinion and choice.
Yes sir, I agree. Let me put it this way - I would'nt do a anti clockwise pradakshin of a punya skhetra that is India !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallik9 View Post
What a thread!
has brought smiles,anxiety and a whole lot of joy.
Thanks for all the knowledge,the great visuals and the fantastic writing skills Salute your spirit sir!
Thank you Hallik9 for your support and appreciation throughout this thread. Thank you for the rating - your gesture has been very kind and generous. I look forward to meeting you in some meets in bangalore or who knows - in Kundapura !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
Wow! I sinecerely appreciate the way, you have detailed your naration with photographs.

Everyday evening my daughter (who is of same age of your kids) also joined me to see the updates of your thread. Now, I have to answere her question, when we are going to do similar drive ??
Ram sir, Thank you for those kind words. I do recall your appreciation from day 1 of this thread. Thank you very much.

Ram sir, just a thought - if we, as kids, have gained confidence just by looking through the windows of a train and experiencing India as it passes by, dont our kids deserve a better deal, given that all the planning we can do just by click of a mouse, and access to fantastic roads, safe and clean hotels and reliable cars ?

Yes, invest ( ! ) today. Tommorow, I'm sure these kids will stand tall and strong with 'nothing is alien here' feeling !

I hope you were able to answer your daughter. Hi ! and best wishes to her from Gudiya and Titli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
You seem to be an inspiration for a generation of drivers.. for instilling the thought that we could also do
As always, Thanks for showing the way
Rajesh Ji, Thank you. We are deeply indebted to you for your kind words and appreciation throughout this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh1968 View Post
My Manager is surprised that I have applied leave 9 months in advance, like planning a baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane78 View Post
Its an accomplishment in itself in what you and your family has achieved. Rated this this thread 5 star
Thank you Octane78 and welcome to this forum ! We sincerely appreciate your gesture in rating this thread. Thank you.

wishing you - may the GQ drive be your first travelogue here !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
A brilliant travelogue you have written here, Hats off to you!!! Once again, congratulations on achieving this superhuman feat!!! I wish I could rate this log 5 Stars again and again!
Sir ji, We are incredibly humbled by your generosity ! I doubt if i can find words to describe your kind and motivating words. We only could bow and say, Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
Fantastic diary. You're truly blessed to carry out this trip with full participation of your family. Great feat. Congrats.
'straight from the heart' wishes ! Thank you, VLOCT. Inspiring !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramanan.skr View Post
Wonderful travelogue Hats off
Welcome to this forum, ramanan.skr. Thank you for your kind gesture.

Good choice of your avatar and signature !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
"Yeshtu rating kottaru kadime ne"
Nim Hogalike yen kammi naa ? Tale baggi, Thank you !

( native kannada - is your praise in any measure less ? we take a bow )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsaLove View Post
hope she too enjoys the same way like they both did when WE do this stint
No doubt on that, Corsa love. She may be just a year old, but will never stop smiling looking at the colours of India !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judemayne View Post
I encore all that have been written in the previous posts-a feat that few of us would venture out on. You have inspired me to leave on drive covering-
Todays drive will be an advance celebration of our 29th Wedding Anniversary for my wife and me.
Wow ! Colonel Mayne, maan gaye ! Wishing you both the best of times together for many many years to come ! Congratulations !!

Last edited by roamingrao : 19th February 2011 at 22:52.
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 22:57   #169
BHPian

I have a question - It requires enormous planning and advance booking of hotels for each place & for each night. What happens if some delay or something like that happens and you couldn't able to make it at one place? Does it not upset the rest of the bookings?
idlebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 06:45   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Welcome to this forum, ramanan.skr. Thank you for your kind gesture.

Good choice of your avatar and signature !
ThankYou Rao Sir. I have been following this thread from the day it was posted & it was almost like having an authentic Dinner at Annalakshmi and the menu not known when we start, so expecting what next will come, between each day of travel in your posts.

I have been trying for a long time to become a member of this forum.
Frankly speaking, your travelogue was an inspiration to me that after reading this, with a more positive frame of mind, I have reapplied and got through. A Special Thanks to you.
ramanan.skr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 19:43   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dear Mr Rao,

I encore all that have been written in the previous posts-a feat that few of us would venture out on. You have inspired me to leave on drive covering-KA, MH, GJ, RJ, Daman & Slivassa-covering about 5000+ kms. D Day is today-leaving Bangalore at 1300 hrs and Hope to catch up with HV Kumar at Ghobhunder-if I reach at an earthly hour. I have driven though most of the States during my tenure in the Army but it was on duty. Todays drive will be an advance celebration of our 29th Wedding Anniversary for my wife and me.
Regards,

Col Jude Mayne
Met the Col at Thane on Ghodbunder Road today noon. He had made fast work of the Belgaum-Bombay drive and was heading towards Ankleshwar/ Baroda/ Ahmedabad for the night halt.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2011, 23:58   #172
BHPian

I was just surfing the site and chanced upon this travelogue. Wow, Truly incredible. I have been reading this for 3 hours straight. Enjoyed the read and the wealth of information for planning my coast to coast drive.
vgsr is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 02:52   #173
BHPian

Wow! just wowww!
I have no words to express how good this travelogue is.
Thats an incredible trip roamingrao. To do it with your family, with such neat planning is commendable.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hours I spent on reading it, and its really an inspiring experience you have shared.
Salutes to you and your family
Thank you for narrating such an experience and wish you lots and lots of happy miles.
figo_united is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 12:34   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgsr View Post
I was just surfing the site and chanced upon this travelogue. Wow, Truly incredible. I have been reading this for 3 hours straight. Enjoyed the read and the wealth of information for planning my coast to coast drive.
Thank you vgsr sir, very glad you enjoyed reading through this travelogue.

Will i be asking for too much if i request you to pen your son's achievement here in a travelogue ? I would be eager to know his experiences. rgds, Rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_united View Post
I have no words to express how good this travelogue is. Thats an incredible trip roamingrao. Thank you for narrating such an experience and wish you lots and lots of happy miles.
Those are very humbling words there, Figo united. Very kind and generous indeed. Thank you very much. We would remember your good wishes !

Have been following your navagraha temple travelogue. Great trip. Helpful tips for people intending to do the same. Thank you for sharing and wish you many such more.
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 15:03   #175
BHPian

Rao,
Enjoyed your trip report, especially the crisp synopsis followed by pictures...Great!
Want to do similar trips, but 2-3 cars in a convoy....
Velmurugan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 00:19   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Have been following your navagraha temple travelogue. Great trip. Helpful tips for people intending to do the same. Thank you for sharing and wish you many such more.
Thank you Sir
figo_united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 16:41   #177
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Thanksgiving !

Quote:
Before I paste some speadsheets on the finer details / statistics of the trip, I feel its the right time to thank / feel indebted to :
Congratulations on completing this wonderful drive and a true 5star travelogue!
Can you please post the statistics also, that will be a great help to people like me who are looking forward to similar, though smaller drives
ST7677 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 14:20   #178
BHPian

Dear roamingrao,

Its difficult not to reread your Log-I have done it thrice already-you have yet to answer one of my questions-"when did you sleep??" If you did, I missed it on all three tries. The second reason why I am posting is that I do not want such a well written, adventurous, information packed and inspiring log to be archived!!! There are few post that should outlive their anticipated stay so that the new joinees as well the timid starters after reading the post get inspired by your lovely lasses and crank their vehicles stopping after miles under their seat.
If I am to repeat myself-your log was the inspiration for my journey to Guj and Raj-I also did a trip to Orissa end last month. Next???

Regards,

Jude

Last edited by Judemayne : 12th May 2011 at 14:21. Reason: spelling
Judemayne is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 16:33   #179
BHPian

Dear roamingrao,
Pls give a detailed brief on expenses incurred.
GSMINC is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 23:01   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Congratulations on completing this wonderful drive and a true 5star travelogue!
Thank you ST7677. All the best for your tatanagar trip !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677 View Post
Can you please post the statistics also, that will be a great help to people like me who are looking forward to similar, though smaller drives
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSMINC View Post
Pls give a detailed brief on expenses incurred.
GSMINC, great to see you post here, Thank you.

As requested, some spreadsheets which are self explanatory.

What i wanted to paste here is a log book whose data could be updated / revised based on ranking by future users of the GQ.
Divided into four sectors, each sector into 100 km stretches ( or major town to town / toll booth to another ) and ranked on a scale of one to five on these parameters - Road condition, Traffic condition, availability of fuel stations, service stations / mechanics, boarding and lodging, safety at night ( to avoid day traffic ) and sign boards ( for directions ). I could bring it to shape but could not pursue this as assimilating data from three scrap books become very difficult and time consuming. I will try and host this log book at the convienient earliest.

Itinerary

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-day.jpg

Hotel List

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-hotels.jpg

Fuel costs

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-fuel.jpg

Cost summary

Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !-costs.jpg

Quote:
Its difficult not to reread your Log-I have done it thrice alreadyThe second reason why I am posting is that I do not want such a well written, adventurous, information packed and inspiring log to be archived!!! There are few post that should outlive their anticipated stay so that the new joinees as well the timid starters after reading the post get inspired by your lovely lasses and crank their vehicles stopping after miles under their seat.
Colonel, you have been very generous with your appreciation throughout this thread. This one tops it all. I have'nt seen a more humble and noble post of appreciation from anyone with a nobler intention of motivating others. Your words have enough josh for us to complete the circuit again ! We take a big bow - Thank you very much. No words can express our gratitute to you.

Quote:
you have yet to answer one of my questions-"when did you sleep??" If you did, I missed it on all three tries.
I apologise - Iam sorry if i had taken your question lightly and not answered that. Yes, our schedule seems like we never slept.

Colonel, apart from the first and last 48 hours of the trip, we enjoyed our full quota of sleep on all other days. We had the itinerary grilled and all of us were super excited to face the day from the time the alarm sounded. Maybe this excitement helped. To let you get an idea, i have included the time spent in each hotel in the table for hotel stay ( attached in this post ). The sleep component in that duration would be minus 30 minutes. And yes, I never hesitated to pull over at Toll plazas and steal a 20 minute nap whenever it demanded.

Quote:
Next???
I'm praying for a break from work, wishing to switch off the mobile phone and hit the pedal ! It may happen early next week ( also the last ten days before the summer holidays end for my lasses ). 3300 kms in 8 days - waiting !
roamingrao is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote