Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 16th May 2011, 19:23   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Our Incredible India Drive - 13 days on the GQ !

Thanks Roamingrao!
Above charts are quiet helpful. For besides other things I can immediately make out that Toll from Kharagpur to Bangalore is 1000+ one way, one information I did not find in any other thread.

In line with your comments, it would help even further if on the top 3 tables you can add your family's rating for each line item. i.e. for route it would be which routes were how many stars, for Accomodation it would be which ones you recommend or not, Fuel pump - which ones to avoid for sure.

What's this next 3300km about...?

Today I wish I had bought a diesel, my tour to Tata and back will cost me as much as it did for you to cover whole GQ and that is at the old rate, petrol is 5rs up :(
On second thoughts... may be not... I just love my car...
ST7677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 16:22   #182
Senior - BHPian

Awesome effort roamingrao. The way you have planned and did this trip especially along with family is great. Equally commendable is the way you have penned down the travelogue with amazing detail. I hope to do a similar trip in the coming months and this travelogue will definitely be a reference (if I go on the trip, that is)
addyhemmige is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 20:57   #183
BHPian

You and your family should be the proudest in India for your accomplishment. What you have done is worthy of an entire edition of National Geographic and a mini series on the American "Discovery Channel". I would anticipate such rewards with great enthusiasm.

Sincere congratulations from the great Mohave Desert of Western USA.
noonrock is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2011, 14:29   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
We slept, knowing that we are in the oldest inhabited place in india, if not the world !
Incredible trip and an amazing write up. The above reminds me of what Mark Twain mentioned about Varanasi.
"Benares is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and twice as old as all of them put together."
m8002? is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 20:59   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
The way you have planned and did this trip especially along with family is great.

I hope to do a similar trip in the coming months
Thank you for those kind words addyhemmige. As desired by you, i wish you do take up a similar trip soon !!

but for now, i would wait to read and enjoy your trek this monsoon ! ( ?? )

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Incredible trip and an amazing write up. The above reminds me of what Mark Twain mentioned about Varanasi.
"Benares is older than history, older than tradition, older even than legend, and twice as old as all of them put together."
Thank you m8002?, I hope you have been to Benares. For us, no words can describe the experience of standing on the ghats and simply gaze at the flowing Ganga. The aura is simply awe inspiring !
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2011, 22:40   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Thank you for those kind words addyhemmige. As desired by you, i wish you do take up a similar trip soon !!

but for now, i would wait to read and enjoy your trek this monsoon ! ( ?? )
I guess you would have to wait for that trek some more time. You see, two of my trek partners got married recently and getting some time off for the treks have become difficult.

But, I am planning to go on a drive to North India sometime next month. It's not yet confirmed (have to get leaves), but hopefully it will be and thanks to travelogues such as yours, I have a fair idea on how it will be.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2011, 07:17   #187
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

@roamingrao - Rao sahibre 'add biddhe' !
Super achievement driving on GQ doing this trip and doing it with family gets the crown
Your travelogue is awesome with so much information and detail and loved the narration style. This inspires us to do what we always dreamt of.

Last edited by NPV : 13th June 2011 at 07:26.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2011, 17:18   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
@roamingrao - Rao sahibre 'add biddhe' !
Super achievement driving on GQ doing this trip and doing it with family gets the crown
Namaskara Buddhi ! Saane thanksu

Thank you for those kind words NPV and wish your dreams come true !
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 20:56   #189
BHPian

Sir, I am speechless after going through your entire travelogue. This is a stupendious achievement. My membership was approved 2 months back, but just today went through this amazing post. This is actually a once in a lifetime trip that everyone dreams of doing with the family. HATS OFF ! and keep going. You have really raised the bar, and inspired many.
ADI_77 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 17:03   #190
BHPian

A truly entertaining, informative and enjoyable TL roamingrao. I read through in one go and enjoyed every post by you. I must commend you not only for the 7k plus drive but also the wonderful manner in which u carried us all along in your drive.

All the information that you meticulously noted was not by chance. It was done so you could share all this information with your fellow members and took a lot of work to do. The Charts at the end of the trip were very informative and helpful for anyone who is planning a trip to these areas.

I was thinking of driving to the great northeast soon and had thought of a mad dash to Kolkata from Delhi where i live. But after reading your TL i may stay back in Varanasi for a night to enjoy the sights and smells.

Thank you once again. My best wishes to the Home/Finance Minister and you daughters. KA-35-ME-0279 deserves a special mention and kudos for completing the trip without so much as a hiccup.

Last edited by Manuuj : 15th May 2012 at 17:06.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 15:26   #191
BHPian

Dear Rao,

Congratulations to you and your family. Excellent TL.
Sitting here some 2000 Kms away, I sometimes wonder that for the sake of a few $$$ more, am I missing out on the Incredible India experience.

Its a dream for many of us to undertake such an epic journey and hopefully someday that dream may come true.

Your TL is an inspiration to all and shows that meticulous planning and strong resolve can result in Incredible experiences.

Hats off to you and your family members.

Finally, some questions,
1) did at any point in time you felt that a particular place / hotel/ route was not SAFE or GOOD for family.
2) COPS experience
3) and finally how did the car perform

arunu is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 20:23   #192
BHPian

This was one of the threads that inspired me to join the group ! Great travelogue and an inspiration for many of us !

How is the section of the GQ between Bangalore and Pune ? I heard there are still patches that need detours, and given that I'm planning a road-trip to Mumbai, thought of checking with you...
raghunandanj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2012, 22:05   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghunandanj View Post
This was one of the threads that inspired me to join the group ! Great travelogue and an inspiration for many of us !

How is the section of the GQ between Bangalore and Pune ? I heard there are still patches that need detours, and given that I'm planning a road-trip to Mumbai, thought of checking with you...
Road widening has started between Tumkur & Chitradurga. Can slow you down because of the detours. But road condition is good.

Road widening also between Satara & Pune, but here so far the under-construction lane has been neatly cordoned off, and you do not have a shoulder, but road condition is good and you can maintain good speeds.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote