Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 31st December 2010, 11:49   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Two Trips -Down Memory lane - Pune - Udupi

Awesome way of narrating MX6, you are reminding me of Christopher Nolan!!! I kind of agree with HVK, ever heard if allergies? May be you are allergic to other modes of transportation and your body reacted by breaking its leg!!LOL!! By the way we are yet to know how St NH4 has eaten up your leg!!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 12:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
"Once a driver, always a driver", you say! This leg accident would never have happened if you had not deserted your Ikon for a Volvo! So dangerous, travelling in buses. Next time, avoid trains, buses and
planes, stick to cars!
"Leg accident" is this something other than the ligament tear from yore am I missing something here.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 13:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
"Leg accident" is this something other than the ligament tear from yore am I missing something here.
Yeah you are, he is building up the suspense hollywood way!! He has already told us that he was on a four wheeler etc but did not disclose why how and when!! A reverse chronological (rather a mixed chronological) narration!!
Old 31st December 2010, 14:00   #34
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Khoj. Now that the cat is out of the bag, I have to change the order of narration!

Actually in a couple of posts, they were converging on the central point!

First HVK lets the secret out! Then AnilisAnil revalidates it.

Anyway, post lunch there's going to be some more twists and turns here.

Till then, here's a view for all the photo thirsty folks out there.

Handheld shot of Kaup beach light house. When one light goes down, another comes up. I'd returned to Kaup beach after over 13 years!
Two Trips -Down Memory lane - Pune - Udupi-kaup-beach.jpg

Thank mighty heavens, it is just the same as I'd left it!
MX6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 14:28   #35
BHPian

Great narration MX6. Loving every bit of it. Very nice pic of Kaup beach. Planning a NH17 drive during Jan end. Moon craters at Bhatkal...here I come!!!
dreamdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 15:12   #36
BHPian

Back from an extended Christmas vacation and saw this TL.
Was wondering what this HosaBhaktal was all about till I read about its definition on page 2.

Interesting TL till now.

Waiting for further updates.

Cheers
f1fan

P.S: You really need to take some rest so that your leg heals completely.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2011, 19:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)

Back from my own vacation and I see this. What happened to your leg? Like khoj I was still thinking about your ligamet tear and was wondering how it had become so bad. Waiting for your story to unfold.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 14:40   #38
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
Great narration MX6. Loving every bit of it. Very nice pic of Kaup beach. Planning a NH17 drive during Jan end. Moon craters at Bhatkal...here I come!!!
DD. Thanks. The moon craters at bhatkal have been transferred to Honnali. Go to Bhatkal and you will be shocked. Enjoy NH17 during Jan end. I'm so tempted to drive back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Back from an extended Christmas vacation and saw this TL.
Was wondering what this HosaBhaktal was all about till I read about its definition on page 2.

Interesting TL till now.

Waiting for further updates.

Cheers
f1fan

P.S: You really need to take some rest so that your leg heals completely.
Thanks f1fan. I was under rest all along. But then, sometimes luck deserts you completely. 2010 was that way the worst year for me. 2011 seems very promising! And the updates are here now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Back from my own vacation and I see this. What happened to your leg? Like khoj I was still thinking about your ligamet tear and was wondering how it had become so bad. Waiting for your story to unfold.
PJB. Love your thread. Incidentally, I wanted to cover the same stretch along with my circuit. But last moment problems with my leg meant, this very trip was not finalised till I drove out.

@Krraj. So you met up with Aargee on his Karnataka sojourn is it? I thought he met only Paragsachania.

@Selfdrive. Here's the next installment.

9th Dec 2010 - Pune
"I booked bus tickets". I booked them for thursday and returning on sunday", I told my wife who was happy to hear that.
Atleast I won't drive this time to Udupi. The Ligament is just healing and so is the bank balance.
But three days away from my daughter and car was a bit too much.
There was no particular reason to be there on Friday when the president will be there. Anyway it's not Dr. APJ. So I cancel the tickets and rebook again. Going on Friday and coming back on Sunday.
They'd arranged accomodation for me. I declined their accomodation too and told them, I'd be put up in my own place in Udupi.

Was a bit morose that unnecessary bookings and cancellation led to a bit of financial loss. Could have filled half my tank for that amount.

But then my family was happy that I'm not driving down.

10th Dec 2010 - Sinhagad road
I took a share auto from Swargate all the way till Wadgaon Budruk. Didn't want to take any risk with my leg. The function next day is important. So I'd packed my business casuals and wore my formal shoes.

The pick up point for KSRTC Airavat is 2 mins walk on NH4 from the bridge, right opposite hotel Vishwas. With a small back pack, I got off the bridge at 5:20 pm. 40 minutes for the bus to arrive from Mumbai. 2 minutes for me to reach the pick up point.
As I ambled along, I could hear this loud noise - SNAP.

Dec 19th 2010 Sringeri
I woke up late. After long tiring ours of drive, I slept like a log. The leg definitely looked better. But then driving around 800 kms of which the honnali stretch nearly butchered me, I could never be sure.
My parents had to go and get me breakfast. Tomorrow is yet another important day. So that meant I stay put in my room. Take complete rest.

For the first time in the history of my visit to Sringeri, I didn't go to the temple or the Narasimhavanam for one full day.

My daughter too relaxed that day. Incidentally, she enjoyed giving a bath to her Ganesha while I sat around laughing.
Two Trips -Down Memory lane - Pune - Udupi-6.jpg
The bottle sterilizing container became Ganesha's bath tub. My daughter's medicine bottle became his shampoo!

That evening we decided to go around shopping. My wife loves shopping in Sringeri. We bought a new dress for my daughter. For it's yet another birthday that's coming up. This was followed by bangles, toys, and typical car street things. She was literally the apple of the eye at Bharathi Street.
Two Trips -Down Memory lane - Pune - Udupi-7.jpg
We got back after dinner and had a peaceful sleep. Next day was another special puja for my daughter in Sringeri.

Day 2 was spent completely in Sringeri taking rest.
Old 4th January 2011, 15:22   #39
Senior - BHPian

At the rate you are taking "rest" in Sringeri, folks are going to mistake it for a new hill station and start trooping out there!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 15:28   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
At the rate you are taking "rest" in Sringeri, folks are going to mistake it for a new hill station and start trooping out there!
What "going to"? I am already thinking that it is a hill station of sorts

MX6, you promised a lot of pics over the weekend, it is two days hence but just a measly few pics?? Not done saar, now that you have a computer with a processor derived from Rajani's robot, you should be posting zillions of pics here!!
Old 4th January 2011, 18:59   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
DD.
But three days away from my daughter and car was a bit too much.
There was no particular reason to be there on Friday when the president will be there. Anyway it's not Dr. APJ. So I cancel the tickets and rebook again. Going on Friday and coming back on Sunday.
And isn't that a shame.

Quote:
10th Dec 2010 - Sinhagad road
I took a share auto from Swargate all the way till Wadgaon Budruk. Didn't want to take any risk with my leg. .....................
.................. I got off the bridge at 5:20 pm. 40 minutes for the bus to arrive from Mumbai. 2 minutes for me to reach the pick up point.
As I ambled along, I could hear this loud noise - SNAP.
SNAP that is what you leave us hanging on to now. As I post immediately after reading the above, Ido not know which reflects the state of my mind better OR

Quote:
We got back after dinner and had a peaceful sleep.
Day 2 was spent completely in Sringeri taking rest.
hvkumar is right, people will make a beeline mistaking Sringeri for a Spa if not a hill station alone.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 19:55   #42
MX6
Senior - BHPian

10th Dec 2010 - Sinhagad road - NH4 junction 5:30 pm
I hobbled round a bit. The leg was cold. I'd just slipped and twisted my ankle, nearly falling on the highway. The whole of my 86 odd kilos came right on the ankle. The same ankle where I had the ligament tear which was healing.
Horrid memories started swimming back. I was definite I heard a snapping noise. I moved to the road side shack and removed my shoe. Couldn't feel anything and my feet was going cold.
I tried walking a bit. There was no pain. Just numbness. Another 20 minutes or so for the bus to come. Do I call home? Do I go back?
Above all, what happened to my leg? It took 5 months for me to start walking on two legs evenly. And couple of seconds, did I go back to square one?
I decided to wait. Thought the numb feeling would go away slowly.

The bus was an hour late. I got in to the bus and removed my shoe. A bit of blood flow should do wonders. I was afraid to massage or even touch my ankle.

By the time we reached Satara, I couldn't keep my leg hanging. The leg was swollen very badly, like a balloon. When he went over speed-breakers near toll booths, the vertical swaying of my leg sent extreme pain up my whole body. I knew that this is worse than before.

The bus stopped between Satara and Kolhapur. I tried to get up and walk down to have dinner. I couldn't stand on two legs. Major problem. This is damn horrible. Looking at me hobbling on one leg, the driver was kind enough to let me sit in the bus and keep the doors open.
I skipped dinner that night.
Every time the bus dipped on the roads, a pain shot through my leg all the way to my head. I moved my bag below and supported my leg on that. Atleast it was damping the movement slightly.

Heaven knows when sleep overcame me. And I have no idea how long I'd have slept.
The next morning the bus pulled in to a place for breakfast. Somewhere near Bhatkal. I had to get down to use the rest room. But my leg was swollen more. I couldn't even limp on one leg as any movement to the other resulted in huge pain.

Everyone was down relaxing after a tea break and people saw me limping with agonizing pain. No one moved an inch. It took ages for me to even hop skip and jump a few paces. Finally 10 feet away I had to settle to relieve myself behind a tree.

And MX6 did the unbelievable. Just like a dog on a lamp post. With one leg up in the air. This was the most embarrassing moment in all my life. Can't ask any one any help. Travelling alone this way.

When I decided to hop back, I got help from an unexpected quarter. An old gentleman well in to his 70s got up from his table and came running out.

"Please lean on me", he said in kannada.

A million thanks to him and 10 minutes later, I got back in to the bus.

7 am, udupi bypass on NH17 11th Dec 2010.
I got off the bus and signalled an Auto to come near by. And managed to get in and asked him to take me home.
Once home, my father saw my leg and was shocked. And I was limping with the last of my energy only to flop on my couch.

10 am same day.
It was time to get in to a rickshaw and go to Kasturba hospital to check my leg. Why is it that everytime I decide to go down, there's an issue and there's visiting political people who create bigger issues? Anyway, it was fun on the wheelchair in KMC hospital. X-Rays were inconclusive. Too much of swelling. Luckily, there was no fracture. But the ligament is in serious trouble.

I need to go to the function today. I need to get back to Pune tomorrow. And there was this stabbing pain. Soon they had to put my leg in a cast. When the doctor held my ankle in position, I experienced the most violent of the pains ever. Tears flowed out as I writhed in pain. Antibiotics, pain-killers and anti-histamines followed.

But what was really hurting me was the fact that it took 5 months for me to get better. Now this is even worse. What next? How much more time? Surely it can't end this way. And how on mighty earth will I drive down the following weekend?

Name:  Leg.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  60.2 KB
I uploaded this photo on to facebook with the caption "Christmas gift delivered a week ahead. Gift wrapped".

On the way out, I picked up a pair of crutches custom made for me. My leg will take ages to support my weight. Longer than last time as per what the doctors said.

How I managed to travel back with the crutches, and the leg on cast, god knows. But then he's been kind too. How I managed to drive back over 800 kms with my leg still in cast, I guess even god wouldn't know!

So when I told that I'm going to drive the next weekend to Sringeri and Udupi, immediately came the reaction from people who saw my updates and photos in facebook.

HVKumar: You are mad.
Aargee: You have decided. I have nothing else to say.
AnilisAnil: Cool!

My father didn't want me to even go back alone by bus. Because I couldn't move my leg. Let alone driving back. I strictly told him not to tell about this freak accident to dear family back in Pune.

Above all, a person with a leg in cast, unable to stand, hobbling on crutches, is still not good enough to move policemen from letting me go out of my own home to hospital and back without taking detours all around Udupi. Every disabled beggar on signals came to my mind. What do they undergo in life? Is their life really worth all the trouble?

Dr. Cherian from KMC answered the worth of a life brilliantly in that function that evening.

20th Dec 2010, Early morning at Sringeri.
I did the craziest thing on earth. Even before my family could react or even know.

I took off the cast.
"Can't take bath properly with this. It's been only twice in a week. How can I go to the temple or meet the shankaracharya like this?"

"How can you remove it without the doctor's advice?"

"We are going back to Manipal right?", I said, "I'll get another cast done there. For the time being, I have that brace which I got last time around. That steel padded brace will be handy".

One last look at the cast that I left behind.
The Cast-Away.
Name:  Castaway.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  72.4 KB

We set out for a puja.

"It would take an hour. You can sit for the first 5 - 10 mins and then move over", said my mother, "There after me and your father can fill in".
"If I sit, I'll see how long I can and how quickly I can get up again".

First it was Guru's darshan. He will give me the strength to endure the pain.

The Puja went on for over 2.5 hours. I couldn't sit cross-legged without my cast. But then every time it hurt my leg, I'd turn and see the smiling face of my daughter. She enjoyed the ambience running all around.
After 2.5 hours, I couldn't stand. I had to be lifted up. Leaning on the wall, when all was over, I took over an hour to slowly amble out of the puja hall.

Guru did give me the pain to endure all the pain. I went back to the room a distance that normally takes 5 minutes to walk, taking over an hour.
I just dabbed the Kalari oil, HVkumar procured for me. Had idlies and bonda parents bought for me.

And I flopped on my bed and slept hard. All the pain endured. 1 of the 2 important things I set out for is done. The other one is a couple of days later in Udupi.

Anil. I couldn't take any photo in this period. The one's were taken by my wife which are already here. I took loads of them of Udupi, which will come shortly. Apologies for the delay. Weekend was lost in personal sundry things. But there are some nice photos of Udupi that will come up as the story unfolds.

Last edited by MX6 : 4th January 2011 at 20:00.
Old 4th January 2011, 20:10   #43
BHPian

Dare I say " You were really crazy" to do that Sringeri trip with the leg in that condition. to your spirit.

Pls do take ample rest (if not already) and let that leg heal completely once and for all.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 20:35   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hi Mani

I feel terrible to see you like this. .
Being confined on a wheel chair or taking help of crutches is the worst thing to happen to a adult human.

Please get on your foot again. I am sure it is very painful for your parents and wife to see you like this. Don't get into any adventure till doctors advice your leg to be okay, else you might repeat the pain for them and yourself.

Get Well Soon.

Last edited by StarVegabond : 4th January 2011 at 20:37.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 20:52   #45
Senior - BHPian

That was a double whammy.
Highlights a few things:
- the apathy of most people (bless the old man for helping you)
- insensitive attitude of those in governance - especially cops - to suffering and inconvenience caused to common public (look at how MX6 faced difficulties to and fro hospital all thanks to some VIP visitor)
- on a lighter note, those who drive should not take buses! (no offence, MX6)

I guess there is more to come.....that act of his in removing the cast sounds ominous!!!!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote