Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd January 2011, 17:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltoHoncho View Post
Nice write-up dada, congrats for the drive, m sure the predator had a nice dose of tarmac, howz it feeling now ?
I could see CAMEL in one of the pics (the one with the king size bed)... reminded me of good ol'days.
Thanks buddy. Predator shrugged off the entire trip as if nothing had happened!

The packet you see is actually an aloe vera soap given by the hotel. I am back to smoking Classic these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Good log, Aniket. Did you drive on the coast road from/to Haritha, heading northwards? We did it in pouring rain last year, but the scenery was amazing still.
I did Dada, upto Bheemlipatnam.

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03713.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Its time you forget Gypsy's and become a JEEPER.
And what prompted this sudden enlightenment? I have a habit of administering blows with large blunt objects on heads of kids who give me unsolicited advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
Great travelogue dada!This might just turn out to be the inspiration for planning a driving holiday for myself.

On another note, some of the roads pictured above are just nirvana.Never knew such roads existed in our part of the country.But as you've written somewhere above, its the bad stretches(like the one where you had to go down a 40 odd degree incline.That would have killed the RS bumper for sure!) that really make me think twice about taking a low ground-clearance car like the RS on such highways.
Thanks buddy. As for taking your RS on highways, please do so at the earliest. The RS will love eating up those miles effortlessly. And don't worry about your bumper and all. Any highway trip is destined to do minor damage to your car, you can't resist the trip for that.

Ships are safe in the harbour, but thats not what ships are meant for!

In and around Vizag

Over the next 2 days, we drove around the city, trying to find places of interest. Our first stop was the Dutch cemetry at Bheemlipatnam beach. Established in 1661 with the death of a Dutch pirate called Federick Kesslerus, the cemetry has gone on to house many French and Englishmen as well. Currently it is used to bury deceased Fathers/Sisters of nearby Roman Catholic churches. The old guard at the gate eagerly showed us around the graves.

Board is self explanatory

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03714.jpg

The intricate marble work of some of the tomb stones was exemplary and worth a shot. Here are graves of 2 brothers who died within a year of each other, aged just 28 and 22.

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03715.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03716.jpg

Intricate marble carving in Dutch language over the grave of one of the Kesslerus family members. The carving has withstood winds of 340 years!

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03717.jpg

Tombs of Federick Kesslerus and his family. All of them were pirates, and proudly wore the pirate logo (skull and crossbones) on the tombstones as well. No repentance asked for in the afterlife?

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03718.jpg

Grave of a Frenchwoman

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03719.jpg

An Englishman (centre) buried with his 2 wives. I know its bad to joke about the dead, but which side does he turn to for peace?

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03720.jpg

Tomb of a carpenter in some ship. That he was of a lower social stature can be made out by the relatively inexpensive stone used in the tombstone.

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03721.jpg

We bade the enthusiastic guard goodbye and crossed the road into Bheemli beach. Most unattractive of beaches, and as usual, thronged with crowds.

A stuck boat

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03722.jpg

Ugly beach

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03723.jpg

Wifey posing with one of the garishly coloured statues on the beach

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03724.jpg

More garishly coloured statues

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03725.jpg

Century old lighthouse

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-dsc03726.jpg

Unfortunately, Bheemli beach also became the graveyard for my old and trusted Sony H5. While trying to take a shot of the sea, I ventured too far on to the slippery rock sticking out into the water. Slipped and fell on the rock, camera fell into the water. Fished it out almost immediately, but the saline water had short circuited the motherboard. Bye bye camera!

Ramanaidu Film City

A few kms from our hotel, on top of another hillock, was the spanking new Ramanaidu Film City. Built with an estimated cost of 5 crores, its a complex which houses multiple buildings, like a full police station, a marketplace, a hospital, a "Manduva Logili" (old Andhra house) and a haveli - ideal for shooting. We went off to have a look. Some of the following photos will show us behaving filmy, very filmy!

The entrance to the film city

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.44.jpg

Those 5 switchbacks lead you from the bottom of the hill to the gate.

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.48.jpg

A mishmash sports car parked inside. The base seems to be an old Honda, but its a 4 door convertible conversion!

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.52.jpg

Mrs Predator puts me behind bars

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.54.jpg

I return the favour

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.55.jpg

After Bengal's Didi, its now Dada's turn to inspire

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.57.jpg

Dejected Dada banished to a corner

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_16.58.jpg

Thakurain addressing her subjects from balcony of haveli. No one seems to notice.

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.00.jpg

Viru on top of water tank, telling gaonwalon that he'll commit "Susside" if Basanti is not married off with him

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.11.jpg

Subdued Viru after he was reminded that he's already married to Basanti

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.12.jpg

Now Basanti also on top of tank

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.14.jpg

Predator has had enough of this nonsense. Viru and Predator lined up for the customary goodbye shot

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.20.jpg

After about an hour, we left Ramanaidu Film city for our next destination.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post

At this point I must mention this Swift Dzire VDi(see pic). The guy appeared in my rear view mirror about 50 kms before Vizag, and started gaining on me. I increased speed to 150, he just kept on gaining, ultimately overtaking me at 160 kmph!

I had no idea a Swift Dzire could even make those speeds! We continued racing for about 15 kms, bypassing trucks in a blur. My wifey kept telling me to let go, it was his turf, I'd driven 550 kms already and all that, but I wasn't in a mood. Ultimately he got ahead of me at a toll booth, and I never saw him again.
Vdi doing a 160 and overtaking a verna with 100 horses? wow! thats pretty fast for our national diesel engine.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Dejected Dada banished to a corner

Attachment 476357
What happened here?..Is this the way you normally are at home?
octane1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:50   #19
Senior - BHPian

The last few pics are too filmy. :P

But the last pic with predator is the best.

I didnt get you comment.Thora Samjhaiye.
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2011, 00:09   #20
Senior - BHPian

Excellent, thanks for bringing me here, will eagerly wait for the next installment, at Araku.

The road-to road photo documenting is just too perfect.

Will take this trip as a baseline!

Those switchbacks require a proper car taking them on.

Last edited by 1100D : 4th January 2011 at 00:12.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 08:28   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there Predator !! I was indeed surprised to see planet and ETC there as he is either eating somewhere in Kol or taking gelusins or taking Planet for a clean (courtesy: Facebook)

Bhimulipatnam - Vizag beach Road is indeed scenic. I did half of it in 2006.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 09:37   #22
BHPian

Humerous lines in the last few pics ..made me smile
MohsinRoadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 13:46   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Day 3 & 4 - In and Around Vizag (continued)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Vdi doing a 160 and overtaking a verna with 100 horses? wow! thats pretty fast for our national diesel engine.
Yeah I know. As I said, wasn't even aware the Swift diesel can get to that speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
What happened here?..Is this the way you normally are at home?
Yeah pretty much. Side effects of being a married man

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
The last few pics are too filmy.

But the last pic with predator is the best.

I didnt get you comment.Thora Samjhaiye.
Comment to main ab tujhe practically samjhaunga!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
The road-to road photo documenting is just too perfect.

Will take this trip as a baseline!
Thanks Anirban Da. In fact that was the idea, that the thread should act as a one stop photo reference for anyone attempting a Kolkata-Vizag trip in the future. Glad to know its paid off

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D View Post
Those switchbacks require a proper car taking them on.
Yeah I agree. Would like to see some supercars taking a go at full blast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Nice pics there Predator !! I was indeed surprised to see planet and ETC there as he is either eating somewhere in Kol or taking gelusins or taking Planet for a clean (courtesy: Facebook)

Bhimulipatnam - Vizag beach Road is indeed scenic. I did half of it in 2006.

Abhi
Hehe. Planet is all about intake and exhaust, in the alimentary sense of the word. Thats why he did the Chandipur trip by train. Never wants to stay too far away from a toilet, you see!

And what do you mean you did half? How far did you go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Humerous lines in the last few pics ..made me smile
Thank you.

In and around Vizag (continued)

Our next stop was Kailasagiri hill. Famous for 5 attractions:

1. A Radar station established by the Government of India.

2. A huge plaster statue of Shiv-Parvati.

3. A scenic view point called Titanic Point

4. A large garden area with childrens' amusement park and a toy train.

5. A ropeway going from the base of the hill to the top. Alternative to taking a car.

This not-so-steep road leads to Kailasagiri

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.38.jpg

I found Kailasagiri to be utter mediocre stuff. Just an amusement park created out of natural settings, with a bit of religion thrown in for good measure. The radar station would have proved interesting, but it was closed to the public. Nothing to photgraph really.

The views from Titanic point are great though. Here are 2:

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.44.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.44_02.jpg

Saw this funny sticker on one of the MUVs parked. What the hell does putting a "USA" at the end of your name imply? Is it some sorta social status? If both of you are "USA", why do you jerks come back to India to marry?

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_17.46.jpg

Next stop, Vizag Zoo.. This is a good place. You can choose to see the zoo walking (I think Rs 20 per person) or by car (Rs 200 per car with 5 occupants free). The animals are all kept in open enclosures, and you can really drive around at slow place and see them. There's even a funny toy train (with wheels instead of tracks) that ferries kids around the zoo.

Some tortoises

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_19.36.jpg

Papa python and baby python

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_19.37_01.jpg

This cute fella came out to greet us. Some over excited school kids started throwing stones at him, and stopped when I glared at them and gave them a piece of my mind. Idiots!

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_19.58.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_19.58_01.jpg

Loads of deer

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_20.15.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p060109_20.16_01.jpg

Sorry, no pics of other animals, especially the big cats. Our zoo trip was cut short as it was feeding time. All the animals disappeared from public view, taken to their respective feeding areas. We just roamed about aimlessly and then left.

Submarine Museum

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-ins-kursura.jpg

I'd suggest the Submarine Museum as a must visit. The submarine, INS Kursura is russian in origin. It was among the first submarines bought by the Indian Navy. Commissioned in 1967, it saw service till 1991.

In 2001, it was hauled ashore and converted to a museum, to highlight the innards and operation mechanism of a submarine to the general public. The way they hauled this 1967 tonne monster on shore was really a feat of engineering. Its all explained in photos at the site.

When you enter, you're taken inside the living quarters of the staff. Engine and battery operation (underwater a sub runs only on battery, as there's no air for the internal combustion engine to work) are explained to you. Also operation of torpedoes. Fascinating stuff.

Outside they have kept a battery cell, a torpedo and a compressed air tank on display. At the souvenir shop you can buy DVDs on Indian navy fleet, including one on submarines in particular. I loved every moment I was there.

Disclaimer - Couldn't take any pics of the submarine museum. The outside pic of INS Kursura has been taken from the web.

Last edited by predatorwheelz : 5th January 2011 at 13:48. Reason: Added disclaimer
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2011, 20:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Day 3 & 4 - In and Around Vizag (continued)

Quote:
And what do you mean you did half? How far did you go?
It was during my Blr - Kol drive. I did a night halt there both during the onward and return journey. Drove abt 10km on beach road and then diverted to NH5 for petrol fill both times.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2011, 18:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Quote:
Hehe. Planet is all about intake and exhaust, in the alimentary sense of the word. Thats why he did the Chandipur trip by train. Never wants to stay too far away from a toilet, you see!
Oye! What's cooking between the two of you? Stop doing this on public forum! I love eating and that doesn't mean that you guys will have to leak my status message updates on Team BHP.

I am glad that we met and we should thank Rohin that he called me when i reached Chandipur and updated you on the same. Otherwise we would have met at the restaurant only and that would have been a h3ll of a surprize for both of us.

Talking about the restaurant - i was on a diet that day because of the return journey by train.

Intake and Exhaust - aint that part and parcel of our lives? cars and ourselves?

Glad that you had a gala time through out the drive. take care.

@ AK - hope to see you soon (wink)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 6th January 2011 at 18:39.
planet_rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 13:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

After a gap of almost 3 months, I finally get time to complete the travelogue. Sorry for the delay:

Day 5:Vizag to Bora & Araku

This was the first time we were going off the GQ. Wifey had a lot of apprehensions. The road from Vizag to Araku/Bora was totally unknown, plus she'd never seen me driving on hill roads. I told her I'd driven to Mt Abu from Ahmedabad, but it didn't cut much crap. She insisted we take a taxi and leave the car at Vizag. But I wasn't going anywhere leaving Predator behind. No Predator, no Araku!

So that was it. On the morning of Dec 30th, we left the lovely city of Vizag for Araku. The road was awesome, and starting early meant we had enough time to leave the MUVs packed with tourists behind. We made very brisk progress.

The plan was to reach Araku first, drop our luggage and then find a route to Bora. But en route, we discovered a diversion leading straight to Bora. So we decided to visit Bora first, and then come to Araku and rest for the day.

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-bora-caves-board.jpg

In hand with the rest of the trip so far, Bora too was thronging with people. Thousands of tourists in all shapes and sizes. The approach road to Bora was jam packed with MUVs carrying teeming masses of humanity. The only private car with a black colour and a WB registration had a lot of people pointing at us - more so since 90pct of the tourists were Bengalis!

Bora itself was a wonderful experience. Stalagtite and Stalagmite rock formations formed out of thousands of years. Beautiful rock shapes inside what is one very large cave network. I have no idea what kind of camera would be required to photograph the formations well, but here are some efforts from my end:

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p070109_16.03.jpg

Hundreds of, thousands of people

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p070109_16.03_01.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p070109_16.03_02.jpg

A Shivling formed out rock

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p070109_16.13_01.jpg

A formation that looks like a lion

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p070109_16.16.jpg

Rock Leopard

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p070109_16.18.jpg

Plenty of other attractive formations

Name:  DSC01279.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  120.6 KB

Name:  DSC01280.JPG
Views: 1112
Size:  116.6 KB

Name:  DSC01282.JPG
Views: 1117
Size:  114.3 KB

Name:  DSC01284.JPG
Views: 1093
Size:  151.5 KB

Name:  DSC01285.JPG
Views: 1102
Size:  154.8 KB

Name:  DSC01287.JPG
Views: 1130
Size:  142.9 KB

Name:  DSC01289.JPG
Views: 1083
Size:  128.5 KB

Name:  DSC01290.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  137.1 KB

As much as I was enjoying Bora, the crowds were becoming a real pain. After about 4 hrs of enduring shouting tourists, coming out of the cave and breathing fresh air was a relief!

After this we drove to Araku. The road as such is beautiful, and APTDC has some very nice facilities at Tyda and Ananthagiri en route, and at Araku itself. Due to high demand, it has built another Resort at Araku, called Mayuri.

But Araku itself was disappointing. A short 1 km stretch of Bazaar, followed by endless, not so beautiful valley at both ends. Nothing much to see, no scenic beauty to boast of, just one small tribal museum. A year ago, I was taking advice on this east coast trip on tbhp. A senior bhpian from Kolkata had advised me to avoid Araku since contrary to perception, its a bore. I fully endorse that view now.

Some pics of the resort where we stayed:
Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p080109_11.36.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p080109_11.37.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p080109_11.16_01.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p080109_11.17.jpg

Predator's Great East Coast Drive - 6 days, 3 states, 2300 kms-p080109_11.17_01.jpg

One more tip. If you HAVE to go to Araku, avoid Mayuri. Try to get booking a at the main APTDC resort. Mayuri has no facilities to offer (unlike the main resort which has a swimming pool and children's play park), the kitchen is understaffed and under-equipped. Room service is non existent.
predatorwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:04   #27
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread to seek opinion on a similar tour.

Day One - Calcutta to Barkul/Balugon
Day Two - Birding in Manglajodi
Day Three - Barkul/Balugaon to Tyda Jungle Camp
Day Four and Five - In Tyda Jungle Camp
Day Six - Tyda to Vizag
Day Sevel - Spend the day in Vizag
Day Eight - Drive to Calcutta

Incidentally I have been upto Arakku in 2006. That time the trip was broken up like this - Calcutta > Bhubaneswar > Vizag > Arakku > Vizag > Chandipur > Calcutta. It was easy on us. It was also our first multi-day driving holiday. But I believe the road conditions have changed a lot in this part of the world. So some advice will be helpful. Particularly the distances.

Sudipto
Sudipto-S-Team is offline   Reply With Quote