Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 2nd February 2011, 15:31   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Magical Bandhavgarh : A group visit cum study tour to a high density Tiger reserv

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've seen them waliking in Corbett & Ranthambhore as well. I asked one of them about the dangers and the non-chalant reply was - "hum to ped par chadh jaate hain"
Reminds me of a scene from Gods must be crazy-Part. I don't know how far climbing a tree would help, to escape a cat
mallumowgli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:07   #32
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Magical Bandhavgarh : A group visit cum study tour to a high density Tiger reserv

Well, they have escaped by climbing and survived to tell the story. And do you really believe that the wooden staff they carry is enough to ward off a charging Tiger? Secondly, these cats that weigh close to 200+ kgs, find it difficult to climb.

And haven't you heard of this old saying - "Billi sher ki mausi hai aur usne use sab sikhaya, par ped par chadhna nahi sikhaya".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
Reminds me of a scene from Gods must be crazy-Part. I don't know how far climbing a tree would help, to escape a cat
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 19:34   #33
BHPian

Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. These were the same words that I was reciting the whole time I was reading this TL & seeing each pic.

Everytime I see these pics, Abheek, I want to visit Tadoba. Alas, always I step back as I have no one accompaning me there. I wish to do one with you soon. Till that time, Happy Sightings and keep us enthralled with more of your wildlife adventures.
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 00:30   #34
BHPian

Default Summary of our findings

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Dr. Ghosh, you are indeed a lucky man! Your pics are awesome but I personally would prefer to keep them as natural as possible with a little less of PS job on them. The first pic that you posted is amazing and sends out the message, loud and clear. I will use the same on my FB account to create awareness about tiger conservation and will ask my friends to do the same, hope you don't mind me taking that pic of yours.

Recently I had the opportunity to visit a place called Pavagarh near Baroda and was lucky enough to spot a vulture family and was even more lucky to click some pics of the magnificient scavenger! Will try and share a few in your thread, if you pardon my sabotage!

Keep up the good work, I'm all eyes and ears for the next 2-3 days of your experiences! :-)
It will be a pleasure to have you share some of these pics on facebook. If you could only include a line that these were clicked by the respective photographers.

I would also want you to monitor this vulture family by regularly visiting the same area or getting in touch with locals from the same area.
Vultures are so rare these days that these small pockets need to be conserved well.

Thank you for your appreciation.
Stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Dr. Sir, superb shots, very well composed and sharp. The second and third early morning snaps not up to the mark of the others. The rest simply bring the forest to our monitors, live and vibrant.
The second and the third morning misty shot have been purposefully shot that way . You have to see the same scene with your own eyes to believe me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Beautiful pics and brilliant narration. Let us know what is the outcome of the study
There are a lot of new Tiger cubs in many reserves, but an equally great threat of Poaching. See the details of the report below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboyslim View Post
Dr. Ghosh:

Nice talking to you yesterday. I sincerely appreciate your efforts and do believe that better understanding proliferates amongst us and drives us to do our bit to preserve these fascinating animals.

Great shots of the elephant trunk and the yawning tigress. I am sure there would be great photographs in the the future, but the effort and those 2 photographs did it for me (Not that I dont want the other photo's).

5 star material indeed, way to go doc!

Best,
Projjal
Thank you projjal. When's your next trip with me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dr. Ghosh,
Your photographs take us there, especially the habitat shots. The big cat captures are amazing too. The wary tiger by the bike is a rare one, which shows how we are encroaching in their territory with our mechanized modernization. What is the bike doing there with ARMY on its number plate?

The first yawn pic. is perfectly clicked at the widest.
The tiger in the meadow is very well composed and a poser.
The diving ring neck parrot...I can go on and on.

What I am missing by not being there is being compensated by your photographs or am I missing being there more by your watching your photographs?

Waiting for more.
Regards,
Thank you sir. You are finally in Pench againwith me !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus. View Post
Wonderful pictures, which inspires many to spreading awareness to save Tiger.
Please share these with your friends and family and spread the message wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
Truly amazing pictures. I cant wait to visit this place. Hats off to the mother nature!!
Now that you are through with your visit, what do you have to say ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by asliarun View Post
Dr. Ghosh,

Wow, those are some stunning pictures! I can't believe that you managed to take such amazing pictures of the reclusive tiger. I also never realized that MP was so hilly!

I will be going to Bandhavgarh (and Shahdol) in the second week of Feb, for a few days. Will definitely try to sight a tiger, and perhaps if I am really really lucky, try to take a picture of a tiger.
Please keep us posted and share your pics on this thread. What dates in February ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
Great pictures. Waiting for more
Here's some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
I have no words for these photographs. The best i have seen so far.
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Thank you ma'am. Have you finalised your pench/kanha trip ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Abheek: are you organising a photography expedition to Pench around June or July? Please PM me the dates and costs so that I can plan for the same as well as save up to buy tickets to and fro Bangalore Would love to join one!
Alternatively, whats a suitable date for you ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Me too! Very Very inspiring!! Your travelogue helped me dream my trip even as I browsed the posts. Now brimming with anticipation ...

Cheers
When is your dream turning into reality boss ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
Awesome captures there Doc! Great to know that the Tigers are reclaiming.

That Mirchaini cub seemed to be disappointed with its paws. And that Tiger doing hugging the tree; was it marking its territory, sharpening claws or was it just a tree lover?

It's surprising to hear that the rangers use motorbikes within the reserve. Isn't it dangerous?
Over a period of time, animals get used to them. Once in a while mishaps happen. Labour laws are still being streamlined in our country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing. These were the same words that I was reciting the whole time I was reading this TL & seeing each pic.

Everytime I see these pics, Abheek, I want to visit Tadoba. Alas, always I step back as I have no one accompaning me there. I wish to do one with you soon. Till that time, Happy Sightings and keep us enthralled with more of your wildlife adventures.
Boss, some other friend/s of mine keep doing the hyderabad-pench and hyderabad-tadoba circuit on a regular basis. Thats better company for you. keep me posted about convenient dates for you .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've seen them waliking in Corbett & Ranthambhore as well. I asked one of them about the dangers and the non-chalant reply was - "hum to ped par chadh jaate hain"
Thats a really good way when you are aware of animals around you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of our findings :

Many changes have occurred in the park since it opened in mid October.

First, the young male tiger known as Kallu has disappeared. No one knows his fate, perhaps he will reappear one day? Second B2 has reaffirmed his presence in the Ghorademon and Banbehi area now the young pretender is no more. Third, Chakradhara's 14 year old tigress Pyari and her three cubs are gone from the Tala Zone for good. No one knows where the four are and no one in authority seems that concerned. Fourth, Rajbehra has been taken over after Durga's death by one of her daughters we now call Jaya(D5). Fifth, the second daughter now called Vijaya (D4) has taken Chakradhara and also pushed Lakshmi to the very edge of her territory in Chorbehra and Dobhiakhol.

This is by far the most serious news as poor Laksmi is now spending alot of time outside in Khitauli Range over the main road and last week even entered Tala Village. She had killed a cow and by 11am the Forest Department were on her tracks. They attempted by elephant to move her away from civilization and in doing so annoyed her so much that she attacked and killed a man while fleeing the nallah area in which she felt safe. The man was bringing wood to the village by his usual hidden route unaware of the drama being played out nearby. Poor Lakshmi and her cubs then spent a night behind old Jungle Camp after which they entered Taj properties before being forced back into the Tala Range on 29th Dec. Resting up at Chorbehra they were "tiger showed" to VIP's yesterday and also to unexpectant C route vehicled tourists before being moved on by Vijaya in the night. Today Vijaya was seen feeding on Lakshmi's smelly cow kill remains. For Lakshmi times are hard. Her limp is very bad now and she has little means to protect her cubs. It will not be long before she is again outside the Tala range and feeding on cows by the roadside or at the back of Tala village. Her problems have yet to be resolved and it will be interesting what action the Forest Department now take to continue her and her cubs survival.

As to the other tigers in Bandhavgarh all seems well. Indrani and her four cubs are regularly seen both in Magdhi and Tala Zones and so too Tulsi and her three very active youngsters in Milchaini. Shaki/Bhoka is seen and so too Shashi/Bamera though not too often. And finally, the Banbehi young tigress we now call Wakeeta (R17)probably the most difficult tigress to see is also doing well. All in all though changes have occurred Bandhavgarh still continues its magic and drama so let us see what follows in the next few months.

I will try to post photos of all the tigers whose names I have given here so that this thread can form a repository of information on this forum on Bandhavgad Tigers.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Last edited by abheekg : 5th February 2011 at 00:37.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 13:21   #35
BHPian

Sir,
Your work towards awareness and conservation of our forests is comendable. 5 stars !
And the details you provide are of immense help in keeping a track of the tigers. Also you are an inspiration to many people who are developing interest in wildlife, your hardwork is paying off well.
We have decided to skip pench and go for a weekend to Tadoba and then Kanha in the last week of Feb.
Any advice on tadoba will be of great help to us.

Regards

Last edited by Coooolcat21 : 5th February 2011 at 13:23.
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote