Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 1st February 2011, 11:37   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: A recce travelogue

After an hour and half of power nap woke up to a chilly morning and got out of the car. At 0600hrs it sure was cold. Changed the flat with the spare. In the process realising that cold fingers means lot of extra effort.

Got on to the road to take a stop few km's later at a HP pump at Barr. It sported a nice looking "Fluer" branded toilet. But the adage "haathi ke daant dikhane ke aur, khaane ke aur" applied to the T. Filthy toilets versus open sky's - Guess which won.

Onwards through Beware and to Ajmer. Lots of diversions and speed breakers. Ajmer bye-pass is anything but a bye-pass. I shudder to think then what through Ajmer town would have been. On to Kishangarh using the side berm to fullest as over taking buses and trucks have scant regards for smaller vehicles coming on opposite side. Possibly this is due to their facing such small road after the express way between Jaipur and Kishangarh.

At last I was also on the express way and rolling at a fast pace. It was almost 1100hrs but dense fog surrounded Jaipur. Chandwaji bye-pass also has six lane work going on leading to chaos.

Why is it that people can not just be patient and stay in a queue? At slightest of road blocks there are people - a lots of them - who will jump the queue and use the opposing lanes. There by causing even more jams. Happens at almost any railway crossing. Why? Anyways the results of this jam was that I exited towards Sikar on NH11 and drove through the Jaipur-Chomu-Shahpura connect.

Almost 1300kms of driving and tiredness was setting in. So took a longish lunch break around Neemrana and thence to Delhi.
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 11:52   #62
Senior - BHPian

Sudev sir. Hope your feeling better now. Was just watching the dakar channel now so had to check into your thread to get updates.

Any chance of the scale getting dakar levels?
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 15:14   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

@maddy42 : Just check out the thread on Desert Storm 2011 and also FaceBook. With introduction of a 300km+ stage people are getting jittery!!
Old 4th February 2011, 12:46   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

At Delhi was the journey over?

No there was still work to be done. The trip's purpose was to do a recce and make road book for Desert Storm rally. This mean taking precise notes of the route, noting virtually each and every turn and twist, hump and dip. This all information is compiled in to a "road book" which is used by crews participating in the rally to navigate. So if a wrong instruction is given it can lead to disastrous consequences.

In the same Desert Storm rally a few years back the road book showed a cross road with a dip and bump. And the next instruction about 50~70 meters away was another long dip. At recce speeds it was nothing and we only marked the first instruction with a caution sign since there was a cross road - though sans any traffic. During the event when vehicles approached these two humps at higher speeds they virtually merged in to one another. Those who braked a little at the first hump were in for a surprise. Watch for your self:

Search for Desert Storm rally on youtube and you will find even more daring and flying Gypsy's

Last edited by sudev : 4th February 2011 at 12:48.
Old 8th February 2011, 02:26   #65
BHPian

A huge insight into rally recce. And you took time out to write this log.

I thoroughly enjoyed the account. And also added info on wikimapia from your account of Kala Dungar.

here is the link:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

I also marked some other places while I was reading your log. And I felt I was there. Well sort of.

I mean, I will be there in the rally , as dcoc.
wanderhermit is offline   Reply With Quote