Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 14th January 2011, 11:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Decade old Nostalgia Relived "Tiger's own land"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Then the gates of the National Park opened.
Coooolcat21,
Your style of narration with a teaser picture, now has us glued to your thread anticipating whats to come next. Looking forward to sharing your experience of your first tiger sighting.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 14th January 2011 at 11:09.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 16:45   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Awesome snaps..

Snap #2 in Post 34 seems a tad over-processed, probably to make color "pop".
I agree , but liked the way it made the tiger look asif it was walking out of the photograph.
Regards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Coooolcat21,
Your style of narration with a teaser picture, now has us glued to your thread anticipating whats to come next. Looking forward to sharing your experience of your first tiger sighting.
Regards,
Sir,
Thank you so much
Hope to keep up to your expectations.

Regards,
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 17:06   #48
BHPian

The gate of the national park then was a a large bamboo pole tied with a rope at one end and the other tied with a lot of weight.
While we waited ,we saw a langoor who had mastered the art of opening the rope, and as the forest officail would call it names he would run away.
It was a hilarious sight as he would do it over and over again.
Finally the gate was opened by the forest official and we drove in,the Q of the gypsys was not long,maybe about 20 or 25 of them.
We were free to roam anywhere in the jungles and no routes were specified.
As soon as we entered the park on the right hand side comes a huge old ficus tree with a small temple below it.
Thats where every guide stops to show you a pair of the jungle owlets. All gypsys stop and the flashs come on.
We have been seeing these owls since my first trip.
Have no idea of thier life span, hence dont know which generation are we seeing at present.
Attached Images

Old 14th January 2011, 17:16   #49
BHPian

The pictures that are going to support my travelogue here are a collection made over numerous trips i have made to Kanha .
As in my initial trips I had a point and shoot Kodak camera where i captured some amazing potographs. But now the prints have dulled down and when I scan the result is very poor.
Old 14th January 2011, 17:51   #50
BHPian

Now to move on further from the gates of the national park.
The forest is dominantly made of the sal and bamboo trees .
As we slowly move on we see the evening sun turning the tall grass in the maidans into a beautiful golden blanket with heards of spotted deers grazing .
Kanha jungles have much more to them ,than just the Tiger.
The tranquility of the jungle wraps you into its peacefull atmosphere making one forget that its home to only the ones, that would make it up to this saying "survival of the fittest".
Our guide was very well informed and he told us about the flora and fauna basics, knowing we were the new wildlife enthusiasts in the making.
We drove for a while, so engrossed in the beauty of the jungle that we were in no hurry to spot a tiger.
At a turning we saw gypsys lined up and the gudies talking in sign language. We too joined the line and stood still.
Just standing there in silence was giving us knots in our stomachs.
We waited for about 20 mins by the Nala and were told that there was a tiger and tigeress there since some days and the tigeress had just moved away, and all waited for the tiger to emerge.
For the first time in my life I heard the male tiger, the echos of its growl sends shivers not just thru people but right thru the jungles.
We all looked at each other not knowing what next.
Just then the male tiger came out of the bushes just 2 gypsys ahead , came on to the road,stopped and looked at us.
Those were the coldest eyes of a predator I had ever seen.
We were stunned and could not even think that there was something called a camera in our hands.
Soon the guide noticed my state and shook me up and asked me to take a picture, and then i just about managed taking a few pictures, as i was too scared to take my eyes of the tiger and look into the camera.
He crossed the road and dissappeared into the thick undergrowth.
While narating this, even now I can clearly remember the fear in me and the cold cold eyes.
Attached Images

Old 14th January 2011, 21:43   #51
BHPian

Reeling under the sheer beauty of the beast, we sat down, and the next thing that registered was that the gypsy had stopped in front of the Gol Ghar.
We went into the Gol Ghar where we ordered for some hot masala tea and biscuits. Our faces said it all, and we were asked that how was the tiger sighting by people who had missed it.
All of us got into an animated conversation , thats the beauty of the resturants in these places. Its like a community get together where everyone talks about thier experiences and thier passion for wildlife.
Our tea arrives with monaco biscuits.
We noticed one old man ,maybe in his 60's was sitting very still , when enquired ,his family said that it was thier gypsy that the tiger chose to give his best appearance.
Understanding what they meant ,we asked him how he was , all he said was "Ishwar ki kripa se aaj may bach gaya" . His expressions are still so fresh in my memories.
By then it was getting dark and really chill. Decided to go check our cottage and the surroundings. The cottage was pretty small but the location could just not be better than this.
We rested for a while and decided to go for dinner as there is no room service.
When we stepped out , it was pitch dark and the distance to the gol ghar was about 200mts which was barely lit.
We called the reception and they sent us a person with a small torch as we had not carried one.
We were still learning to be wildlife enthusiasts, next time we knew that a torch is a must.
The food was amazing, I mean good indian stuff like nice spicy , could even say oily chicken curry, aloo gobi , dal tadka with soft tawa rotis.
We enjoy our holidays to the maximum when its teamed up with good food.
After an early dinner we were dropped of to our cottage , on the way saw some sparkling eyes of spotted deers very close to the resturant.
Requested for tea in the morning at 4 Am and we went to bed with the thoughts of the tiger , wondering if they too sleep or doze at night.
Attached Images

Old 14th January 2011, 22:45   #52
BHPian

On a cold winter morning safari in the Kanha National Park, shivering but with the warmth of anticipation giving us strength we drove into the mist covered jungles where the tips of the roadside grass glittered with pearls of frozen dew telling us the story of the cold cold night where, the colder eye hunted for sweet warm flesh with curved and ruthless claws.

Old 15th January 2011, 01:38   #53
BHPian

beautifully put. and beautifully shown. I went to kanha last month (a good 14 years after you first went) and had my second sighting of a tiger in the wild. Beautiful place and especially the morning drive is excellent.

I saw the owl too and have a snap of the gates of Kanha in exactly the same way that you have

great stuff! keep on!
manolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 11:00   #54
BHPian

In a while the sun started filtering thru the trees that helped thaw our fingers that were holding on to the cold gypsy bars. The jungle started to wake up with the birds singing and the cold breeze blowing. The morning beauty with the sunrays shining a pretty gold and the fog still settled onto the tall grass engulfs one in its magical aura.
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2011, 11:09   #55
BHPian

We were engrossed by the loud chatter of a group of jungle babblers. Ours was the only gypsy on the track suddenly we saw a tigress crossing the road . She walked past us and went into the jungle. We followed her for a while and then she walked into a small shelter like place sniffing. This is actually a pitstop where the authorities put up some bamboo shelters for privacy. As the tourists are not allowed to get of the gypsy, often in time of need the driver takes you to such places and says its safe to use.
If incase you come across a situation like this , make sure u look around well, as one would never know if its already been occupied .
Posting a video of the same tigress.

Old 15th January 2011, 18:51   #56
BHPian

Being thoroughly satisfied by our early morning safari we proceeded to Kanha Camp for some good hot cup of tea.

Generally after 9 am of the morning safari, the gypsys start moving towards the Kanha camp. Some arrive there in sheer happiness of having seen the tiger and the rest eagerly hoping that there has been some information from the elephants who track the tigers for a tiger show.

In the meanwhile everyone treats themselves to some hot tea and aloo bondas searved with fried green chillies. Its so chill that the chillies help u in warming up.
We have mostly travelled during the month of January.
There is usually a huge log which is slowly simmering and you will find all the guides and the gypsy drivers warming themselves there and exchanging news about sightings etc.
The Chai shop then was a small shack with a rusted mesh enclosing it with just a small shelf where the orders are placed, which searved tea in chipped rim tiny cups. Inside there was this old man in his shabby clothes making aloo bondas . Concerning hygiene i shall not comment, besides all this to me this shack completed the picture totally. We would sit on the logs around to have tea , while tying to escape the terror of the crows. One needs to be careful of thier belongings in the gypsy too, as the crows check out the bags .
But now the place has a new resturant with very clean wash rooms. It is more practical but i still liked the shack..
Once there is information recieved that a tiger has been tracked, its worth watching how everyone runs and zooms of in thier gypsy.
There is a nice museum which one should visit.
Also one can see the elephants being taken care of.
Attached Images

Old 15th January 2011, 19:13   #57
BHPian

Having refreshed we continue with a safari and have good sightings of the spotted and sambhar deer .
Barashinga is seen only in Kanha, thanks to the forest department.
I ll post pictures of them later.
As we are slowing driving ,we see a couple of gypsys coming from the other side, they tell us not to go on that route as the road has been blocked by 2 male bisons causing a jam.
We decide to go for some good pictures , not knowing that we would witness a situation that I wouls call as " Funny , Foolish and Dangerous".
Posting a video of the same.

Old 16th January 2011, 09:12   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
not knowing that we would witness a situation that I wouls call as " Funny , Foolish and Dangerous".
Coooolcat21,
Those are nice video's of the tigress strolling and the two huge male Gaurs.
Gaurs are very shy and timid animals in spite of their size and all muscle, I have not yet heard of a Gaur attacking humans. Also they are on the top of the tigers menu.
The gates have opened, but through your 'minds eye' (narration) we enjoy your safari into this land of the tiger, you had visited long back and thank you for your effort in sharing it with us.

The sambar stag arched in the misty forest is a classic shot.

Yes, 'Bara Singha' (twelve pointed antlers) were residents of nearly all Indian forests until the late 60's, their beautiful headgear was the cause of their nemesis, as they were sought after by hunters and adorned walls of many drawing and living rooms, displayed as trophies. By default they survived and today are found only in Kanha.

Please continue.
Regards,

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 16th January 2011 at 09:27.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2011, 11:51   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
beautifully put. and beautifully shown. I went to kanha last month (a good 14 years after you first went) and had my second sighting of a tiger in the wild. Beautiful place and especially the morning drive is excellent.

I saw the owl too and have a snap of the gates of Kanha in exactly the same way that you have

great stuff! keep on!
Thank You,

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Coooolcat21,
Those are nice video's of the tigress strolling and the two huge male Gaurs.
Gaurs are very shy and timid animals in spite of their size and all muscle, I have not yet heard of a Gaur attacking humans. Also they are on the top of the tigers menu.
The gates have opened, but through your 'minds eye' (narration) we enjoy your safari into this land of the tiger, you had visited long back and thank you for your effort in sharing it with us.

The sambar stag arched in the misty forest is a classic shot.

Yes, 'Bara Singha' (twelve pointed antlers) were residents of nearly all Indian forests until the late 60's, their beautiful headgear was the cause of their nemesis, as they were sought after by hunters and adorned walls of many drawing and living rooms, displayed as trophies. By default they survived and today are found only in Kanha.

Please continue.
Regards,
Sir,
Thank you so much for adding information concerning the wildlife. It has made my log more informative.

Regards,
Old 16th January 2011, 12:13   #60
BHPian

Posting pictures of the wildlife seen in the premises of Baghira Log Huts.

Name:  cottage 1.JPG
Views: 501
Size:  343.5 KB

Name:  deer11.JPG
Views: 466
Size:  309.1 KB

Decade old Nostalgia Relived "Tiger's own land"-122.jpg

Decade old Nostalgia Relived "Tiger's own land"-134.jpg

Name:  095.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  303.4 KB

Name:  101.JPG