Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 10th January 2011, 23:35   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Single Post - Three wise men and other short stories in Malluland.

This is indeed a small world ! Wow! Amazing!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 13:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

Awesome TL and nice pictures!. Really liked the encounter with Bond :-).
Latheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 14:44   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, thanks to Jeev Menon.
Our elusive Starvegabond is now famous
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 15:27   #19
BHPian

Great TL Jeev! Two great TLs in a row and I am inspired.

I will dedicate few days for a road trip on my next vacation, thanks to you and Star.
jaguar.runs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 21:31   #20
BHPian

Thanks to Rajeev, Latheesh, Rethish. Performance of the Sparky: Its nearing 26K now and a year and 3 months. Its gone through southern peaks of Ooty/Munnar well, coastal stretches of MH, KL, TN, bad roads of KA from Mumbai to Trivandrum and its stood good. On this trip no issues - touch wood. I just got it back from a quick check-up yesterday - issues of gear not falling into the 1st gear easily, in-cabin noise - quite bad when on bad roads, did a de-carb last month - it has a different engine sound now than the previous one - dont know if it improves efficiency (the reason why I did it) - need to do the math from the log book. I still have a 'dub dub dub' sound, the repitition of the sound increasing as the speed increases. Its only audible if one listens very carefully. Now it has a screw-tight feel. Highways of TN - good high speeds hovering around 110-120 during some stretches.

sB: I think you are correct. We did see the Thattarambalam temple, and the Chettikulangara temple, St John's school Mattom, Mavelikara. We went over the Praikara bridge into Cherukole to Mannar. Is the church below the First Assembly of God Church? Is the temple the Chettikulangara temple? From what it looks like from the map, I should have taken the Krishnapuram-Mavelikara road or atleast from Thattaramblam gone straight via your house to Mannar. The route was a little round-about as seen in the map.

SVB: You had a great time being elusive for a long time. Its my turn now. So lets defer posting the snap till I get a new Avatar

Single Post - Three wise men and other short stories in Malluland.-chettikulangaratempleq.jpg

Single Post - Three wise men and other short stories in Malluland.-firstassemblyofgodchurch.jpg

Single Post - Three wise men and other short stories in Malluland.-oppositethefirstassemblyofgodchurch.jpg

Single Post - Three wise men and other short stories in Malluland.-interestingdirectionboardonahousewall.jpg

Name:  RouteToMannar.JPG
Views: 532
Size:  45.2 KB

Last edited by jeevmenon : 11th January 2011 at 21:41.
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 12:13   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon
sB: I think you are correct. We did see the Thattarambalam temple, and the Chettikulangara temple, St John's school Mattom, Mavelikara. We went over the Praikara bridge into Cherukole to Mannar. Is the church below the First Assembly of God Church? Is the temple the Chettikulangara temple? From what it looks like from the map, I should have taken the Krishnapuram-Mavelikara road or atleast from Thattaramblam gone straight via your house to Mannar. The route was a little round-about as seen in the map.
If you went over Praikara bridge, then yes you definitely went via Mavelikara town aka the longer route.

Yes, the temple in your snap is Chettikulangara temple. Infact, the annual Bharani function is a big attraction here. Try planning for it - it is in March. Each 'kara' or area has a resident figure from the Mahabharata who is decked up and brought to the temple. Ours is "Bheeman" and his residence is on a small 4-cent plot that shares its boundary with our plot.

The church you posted seems the Orthodox church - who manage St.Johns school - this is just before Thattarambalam.

I am unable to place the 2nd last snap - the house with signboard on its walls. Dont remember seeing it - where is this ?
EDIT : OK, I remember now. This is the 1-way road from Mavelikara town, which splits into 2 - left to Thiruvalla and right to Chengannur.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th January 2011 at 12:15.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 15:04   #22
BANNED

@jeevmenon - Excellent narration, gives insipiration to plan a trip across the length & breadth of Kerala (me too from the same state, but stuck in Bangalore) enjoying the local delicacies
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 23:05   #23
BHPian

Go Gadadhar Go! There is nothing like namude naadu anywhere in the world. Go explore, talk to them. They need your patient ears. If not you, who else? Jai Keralam! All t-bhp mallus - lets go from Parasala to Manjeshwaram/Mangalapady. That brings to the fore the question - plot a route which will cover the whole of GOC. Anyone?
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 09:50   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevmenon View Post
Go Gadadhar Go! There is nothing like namude naadu anywhere in the world. Go explore, talk to them. They need your patient ears. If not you, who else? Jai Keralam! All t-bhp mallus - lets go from Parasala to Manjeshwaram/Mangalapady. That brings to the fore the question - plot a route which will cover the whole of GOC. Anyone?
Sounds like a dream trip, I am game jeevmenon. Hope can find enough time for this trip in our busy office calendar.. When there is a will, there is way
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote