Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th January 2011, 16:54   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze

Until now the going was smooth. But, from Solapur onwards our nightmare became a reality. Me knowing the route conditions in advance played my trump card here. After Solapur, promptly handed over the wheel to my cousin and acted surprised of the horrible road and traffic conditions feigning my best ignorant act till date

Till you reach Indapur the road is fine but bloody narrow and trucks appear from nowhwere and stay in your line of vision for a long time. Overtaking is a stressful job and you need nerves of steel to attempt one that gets completed in one or two tries.

After the Indapur stretch is completed, a new phenomenon of road widening comes into picture. NHAI has been nice to put down pictures of regret with some nice ones talking about temporary inconvenience for a better future et.all

It took us almost 6 hours ( including a 45 minute sumptous lunch break by the roadside) to reach Hadpsar flyover and thereon the driving was akin to breaking rules.

Phone in one hand and asking for directions.

Kahan se Left, Kahan se Right. Flyover ke Nichese ya upar se?

We took the route below the Hadpsar flyover and went through some really trecherous terrain to reach the MPEW at about 5pm.

MPEW was a breeze and came out to New Panvel and thereon asking the route and reaching Ghodbandar was second installment of nighmare as we went through one of the most crowded roads ( looked like old city) with people swarming on the roads and after a quick tea stop in between we reached Hotel Fountain in Ghodbhandar at around 8pm.

Whew!!! We were completely sapped by this time. Predominantly due to the Solapur-Pune and trecherous traffic after MPEW.

We are now some 745kms away from home
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5107.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5103.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5109.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5112.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5114.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5120.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5123.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5129.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5132.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:13   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
We took the route below the Hadpsar flyover and went through some really trecherous terrain to reach the MPEW at about 5pm.
Did you take the route of hadpasar-left turn below flyover-phursungi railway crossing and toll gate-right turn-undri-pisoli-katraj-katraj dehuroad byepass-chandni chowk-expressway?

If yes, next time, catch that fellow who advised this route?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th January 2011 at 17:17.
ASHISHPALLOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:21   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Did you take the route of hadpasar-left turn below flyover-phursungi railway crossing and toll gate-right turn-undri-pisoli-katraj-katraj dehuroad byepass-chandni chowk-expressway?

Lol.That woudnt be difficult as i told him about that route
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:28   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Phone in one hand and asking for directions.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Lol.That woudnt be difficult as i told him about that route
Oops, in the first place, i should have thought about PHONE IN ONE HAND before posting.

Rajesbhai, is it your favorite route?

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th January 2011 at 17:30.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:39   #20
BHPian

Quote:

@APofAP : Awaiting the next instalment of the first leg.

@APofMah : I distinctly remember that this was advised as the best way to bye-pass Pune City just a year back. If this is no more the best, what is the best new method to bye-pass Pune (other than 12-mati route)?
hyd_traveller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:47   #21
BHPian

Avi Bhai, great start..I am sure this is going to be a cracker of a travelogue.

Looking forward to hear,how the WA managed varied terrains through this journey of your.
zen91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:50   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Rajesbhai, is it your favorite route?
Arey nahi dada! my sister lives on the nibm road so i usually take that road to reach her place and then proceed on towards katraj if going to mumbai.

not the best of the routes ,but does help by pass the whole of pune for sure.
Rajesh Rawal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 17:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I distinctly remember that this was advised as the best way to bye-pass Pune City just a year back. If this is no more the best, what is the best new method to bye-pass Pune
Last year was election year in Maharashtra and everything was best,
sadly nothing remained best in this part of country.
Even 12mati route is in shamble,
Last year, 12mati-pune could be covered in 2 hrs flat,
This year, puchho mat, 3 ghanta, 3.5 ghanta, depends upon time of travel.

@RR,
i was kidding, the route is good to byepass the city but condition is so bad that anyone hardly take that route again once passed.

Enough OT on Moderator's thread,
chup chaap khisak lo varna infraction milega.

Looking forward to Rajasthan pics.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 12th January 2011 at 17:57.
Old 12th January 2011, 17:59   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
@APofAP : Awaiting the next instalment of the first leg.
Thats a new way to address me

After spending the night at a hotel next door of Hotel Fountain who were busy in Christmas preparations where we chilled out with some good food and mocktails for ladies

After being totally numbed from the good food we walked across to our hotel and hit the bed at around 11:30pm

Got up at 5:30am and left the hotel at 6pm.

We were supposed to take right after getting out of Hotel F compound. But, saw a huge traffic jam right at the signal. We took a left and went towards Mumbai direction and had to go for atleast 4 kms before taking a U-turn and back towards the Surat highway

Me and My cousin looked at each other. Its happening again. It felt as if entire country's trucks were on that highway. Heavy Heavy truck traffic but, road being broad and nice, everyone was moving at a much faster pace comparitively. Couple this traffic with medium to dense fog kept us busy but were gaining decent ground.

A couple of hours later, we heard some strange noises. It sounded like rats grumbling. Even though i am not a breakfast person, we all stopped at a place called Ahura on Surat highway where the joint seemed to be owned by a Parsi gentleman. Food at this place was relatively good.

Proud owners of WA preening in front of it

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5158.jpg

Rest of the gang

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5157.jpg

WA posing in thick fog on the Surat highway

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5148.jpg

We stopped at this place for our breakfast which is about 2 hours away from Ghodbandhar

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5159.jpg
Old 12th January 2011, 18:07   #25
Senior - BHPian

Loving this trip log Avi. Superb writing matched with equally nice pictures. I noticed that you stayed near Fountain Hotel. Did you try their food? If youre a non veggie its really good

Btw you should have called me when you guys were overnight near Fountain restaurant. I stay 10 kms away from Fountain. Could have a mini mod meet You had my no. too.

Waiting for the next installment
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 18:25   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen91 View Post
Avi Bhai, great start..I am sure this is going to be a cracker of a travelogue. Looking forward to hear,how the WA managed varied terrains through this journey of your.
Brajesh Bhai, WA managed some terrains which are not meant for sedans and that too with much aplomb. I was wincing, flinching and biting my nails whilst going through some rough patches but, it performed flawlessly to say the least.

Trivia of its suspension set-up

Bottom Scrape : Maybe 2-3 times in the entire 5500kms trip

Thuds : 2-3 loud thuds as we went over some pot holes at highspeed that we didnt see early enough.

Puncture : Only one at 4350kms odo of this trip somewhere in MP which I strongly suspect was staged as we had passed a puncture fella last evening who was keenly watching us when we passed him. Found one nail in the left rear tyre next morning

Quote:
Enough OT on Moderator's thread,
chup chaap khisak lo varna infraction milega. Looking forward to Rajasthan pics.
Ashish Bhau, Moderators are not that bad. They have a heart too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Loving this trip log Avi. Superb writing matched with equally nice pictures. I noticed that you stayed near Fountain Hotel. Did you try their food? If youre a non veggie its really good

Btw you should have called me when you guys were overnight near Fountain restaurant. I stay 10 kms away from Fountain. Could have a mini mod meet You had my no. too.Waiting for the next installment
Thanks a bunch for your compliments Dippy. I was supposed to call another friend ( Himanshugoswami on TBHP) who moved from Hyd to Mumbai and he too stays pretty closeby but, couldnt. You know the situation, totally exhausted with only food and sleep on mind.

Didnt know you stayed so close to Hotel F. Missed it..Darn!

We stayed in a hotel right below that Hotel Fountain board in picture in previous post. Come to think of it, i dont even recall the name of the hotel where we stayed as I assume there are many hotels in that large compound with tons and tons of cars parked inside.

We had our dinner in a hotel next to Hotel F compound which had a huge airy open eatery with ghazal singing in background. Their tandoori chicken was awesome.

Next installment sometime tomorrow....Now its time for a jog to reduce the kilos put on during this trip...LOL

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th January 2011 at 18:32.
Old 12th January 2011, 18:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Lovely start to the T-Logue.Lol never take that route under the f/o at Hadapsar,always go via Swargate!Anyways everything that happened happens for the good!Looking forward to more and more pictures!

Time to meet up maybe for dinner or something to discuss each other's trips!Would be a long one.

We are in the middle of our return drive from Kerala to Hyd-just that we took a small detour and decided to come back to Hyd via NH17-BOM-Hyd!

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 12th January 2011 at 18:34.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 18:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Lovely travelogue. Can't wait for the next installment.

Every time I see the Cruze on road, I am like, why should anyone buy any other car in its segment. Its such a killer of a car. Futuristic looks, futuristic interiors and features, which are not offered by the other vehicles in the segment.

Anyways, do not want to be OT.

Please do post next installment with lots of pics.

Enjoy the WA!
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 19:24   #29
Senior - BHPian

Super trip for a super car, by superman Avi!

Hey, how about a simple summary table (Day n, Start place, End place, kms covered, time taken)? That can come even before you complete the rest of the trip log.

Did you manage the entire trip with just 5-6 hrs of sleep every day? If yes, then 'superman' isn't enough.

I think time will fly at tonight's TBHP-Hyd meet with tales from your trip.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2011, 22:56   #30
BHPian

Great one avi bhai, I have been waiting for this trip log. Its beginning to be a rocker. I hope you are going to tell where and what you ate also along with the monuments and all
kraft.wagen is offline   Reply With Quote