Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th January 2011, 09:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze

Avi Bhai, I know how bad it can be if you miss going over hadapsar flyover. Did you travel through pune city?
You could have tried taking mundhwa-bypass -> chandan-nagar -> yerwada -> holkar bridge -> khadki station -> Aundh -> Hinjewadi -> expressway. It would be about 5-7 kms longer but a smooth less traffic road at the end.

Its a great start to your travelogue. Please keep it coming at good pace. I hate waiting for updates.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 12:53   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Lovely start to the T-Logue.Lol never take that route under the f/o at Hadapsar,always go via Swargate!Anyways everything that happened happens for the good!Looking forward to more and more pictures!

Time to meet up maybe for dinner or something to discuss each other's trips!Would be a long one.

We are in the middle of our return drive from Kerala to Hyd-just that we took a small detour and decided to come back to Hyd via NH17-BOM-Hyd!
Thanks Ranjit. Your inputs were invaluable. We should catch up sometime soon over dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Every time I see the Cruze on road, I am like, why should anyone buy any other car in its segment. Its such a killer of a car. Futuristic looks, futuristic interiors and features, which are not offered by the other vehicles in the segment.
I absolutely loved your comments as they match completely with my viewpoint.

I am not a confused person when it comes to selection of my car and dont pit ten different vehicles from all segments to finally decide which one to purchase.

This is my 6th new car and my decision is done in " one-shot" and i just take feedback to strengthen that already laid out foundation

With Cruze, i again took a fantastic decision

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Super trip for a super car, by superman Avi!
Prashant. Now please dont ask me to wear my undergarments on the outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Hey, how about a simple summary table (Day n, Start place, End place, kms covered, time taken)? That can come even before you complete the rest of the trip log.

Did you manage the entire trip with just 5-6 hrs of sleep every day? If yes, then 'superman' isn't enough.
Thats a pretty good idea. Will see if i can create a table as your suggested. Will try to put it up over the weekend.

6 hours was pretty much the sleep we got most of the days. It was refreshing from my daily 8 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Great one avi bhai, I have been waiting for this trip log. Its beginning to be a rocker. I hope you are going to tell where and what you ate also along with the monuments and all
Sorry to disappoint you prem. No food pictures this time. I was on a diet throughout my trip...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Avi Bhai, I know how bad it can be if you miss going over hadapsar flyover. Did you travel through pune city?
You could have tried taking mundhwa-bypass -> chandan-nagar -> yerwada -> holkar bridge -> khadki station -> Aundh -> Hinjewadi -> expressway. It would be about 5-7 kms longer but a smooth less traffic road at the end.
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try this route next time i am in pune/mumbai
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:25   #33
Team-BHP Support

After the breakfast, it was non-stop driving on one of the best highways in India. We were zipping past all main cities of Gujrat ( Surat, Baroda, Vadodara, Ahmedabad) and everything was hunky dory except for encountering one traffic jam of trucks galore which was easily 5kms and it took us almost an hour to clear those 5kms.

Btw, Anybody who hasnt travelled on Gujrat highways. Let me warn you in advance, you will get tired of stopping at toll booths as every 40kms as one and we cover them in 20mins or little more and were getting pretty irritated to stop every so often to dole out the money. At one point, we were like---Ek saath 500 rupaiye lo aur chutti karo

It certainly breaks your momentum.

But, having experienced different road conditions further in our trip, we were getting angry for no reason.

My cousin's pretty daughter-Arya

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5160.jpg

This was that 5kms traffic jam which made all of us twiddle our thumbs

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5182.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5164.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5170.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5173.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5174.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5176.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5177.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5179.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 13:38   #34
BHPian

Very good write up. Had been to a trip to Rajkot last month. The gujarat highways are really nice. Toll booths are pain though. I think that much better avg speeds would be possible if truckers dont hog all the lanes. Many a times, overtaking from the left becomes inevitable

The long 5 jam you are talking about is at the neck of the narmada bridge at Baruch while northbound. The southbound bridge is being used only for light vehicles and heavy vehicles are diverted on the northbound bridge. There is no problem when you are driving back though.
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:08   #35
BHPian

Amazing is all I can say. Glued to your travelouge Avi Bhai. Keep it coming.

BTW, how the the drive from Hyderabad to Sholapur, especially the Umarga strech?
traveloholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:15   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
The long 5 jam you are talking about is at the neck of the narmada bridge at Baruch while northbound. The southbound bridge is being used only for light vehicles and heavy vehicles are diverted on the northbound bridge. There is no problem when you are driving back though.
That's correct. It seems this jam happens every single day and truckers were nonchalant about it and were actually nibbling on peanuts sold by folks who strategically were around there whilst we waited to progress in that queue

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
BTW, how the the drive from Hyderabad to Sholapur, especially the Umarga strech?
Thanks Nikhil. Until Solapur, nothing to worry. Umerga stretch is slightly patchy but, nothing as horrific as i encountered later in my trip. Piece of cakewalk, i would say!

Spotted a Hyundai Santa FE on this stretch

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-santa-fe.jpg

Btw, while crossing ANAND (hometown of India's favorite butter and cheese brand), we saw an interesting advertisment which was so befitting the current ongoing ONION problem in our country
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-amul-ad.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 14:32   #37
SMK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
yup! thats us (me and my wife)!!! The feeling is mutual here about the southern registration!!
Hey Teju!! when did this happen??

Awesome read of the Cruze story!
SMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:38   #38
BHPian

That's a really nice trip and travelogue you have going here. Must take a lot of tough nerves to drive all that distance, especially with the family along. Good on you!
rajeevn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 14:39   #39
Team-BHP Support

There was this Merc E driven by a driver with no passengers tagging along with us for most of the way. He was slouching back so much, we thought he was sleeping rather than driving.

We kept our distance

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-merc-e.jpg

We spotted a nice temple which i think was Swaminath Gurukool Temple. A few shots taken from our speeding car
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5189.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5193.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5194.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5196.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5197.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 14:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
That's correct. It seems this jam happens every single day and truckers were nonchalant about it and were actually nibbling on peanuts sold by folks who strategically were around there whilst we waited to progress in that queue
There seems to be no plan yet for an additional flyover yet. And the irony: you hit the Toll both as soon as your free from the jam
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 15:09   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMK View Post
Hey Teju!! when did this happen??
Hey sarash,

Left bangalore on 23rd and reached back on the 3rd. Can't write for nuts but for sure will give a try this time. Need to get my photos in place (though we both are not photographers at all).

Nice cruze story to be honest! Waiting for more pics as we can't click the way you do :-). I got a very bad heavy traffic from thane till Surat. Reached thane at around 1:30 PM and Surat at around 8:30 PM.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 15:14   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
And the irony: you hit the Toll both as soon as your free from the jam
Bang on. I was about to mention that after the jam a toll. What an extreme situation. Do we have to pay toll even for getting OUT of a jam?

The best driving experience was on the Mahatma Gandhi Expressway (MGE) which can put MPEW to shame ( which in anycase is too over-hyped)

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5211.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5219.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5224.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5230.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5236.jpg

My cousin taking a smoke break after that adrenal filled MGE drive

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5234.jpg

NOTE : Btw, some lovely Cruze pictures coming in next post. Please stay tuned !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd May 2012 at 12:19.
Old 13th January 2011, 15:42   #43
Team-BHP Support

Our entire trip from Ghodbhandar which we started at 6:00am until we reached Udaipur at 7:30pm was throughly enjoyable except for that 1 hour traffic jam.

Essentially we covered 745kms in 13.5 hours and if you exclude the jam timeframe then we did it in 12.5 hours which is a phenomenal coverage in that amount of time.

Here are some pictures taken just before driver change while approaching Udaipur.

His lazy conditions were that he can drive only between 12pm-5pm

No early morning drivings for him as he may nod off on the steering

No driving after dusk for him as he is not confident in dark conditions.....Phewwwww

For me, this particular stretch after dark until we reached Udaipur was one of the most thrilling and lovely stretch to drive on those twisties with great markings of "cat-eyes" and i was keeping up some phenomenal speeds until Udaipur
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5261.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5260.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5269.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5265.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5267.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5268.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 15:43   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
We spotted a nice temple which i think was Swaminath Gurukool Temple. A few shots taken from our speeding car
If you are referring to the first pic its a Gurudwara, not a temple. The Nishan Sahib(Triangular Orange Flag) is the giveaway
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 16:01   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are referring to the first pic its a Gurudwara, not a temple. The Nishan Sahib(Triangular Orange Flag) is the giveaway
My bad, there were 2 monuments one after other one on left and other on right. Got them mixed up

Thanks for clearing up Tanveer

Two of my favorite pictures of Cruze from this trip taken at the same point as place in previous post.

I really liked these pictures. Would love to know someone else too liked it too. You will soon see them as my avataar

2nd most favorite picture of Cruze

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5270.jpg

Favorite picture of Cruze
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5271.jpg