Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 13th January 2011, 16:19   #46
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze

+1 about GJ roads,the GJ truck and car drivers are the most hassle free people you would find in India,a mere blink of your headlights,and they would instantly give way and they would almost never ever hog the right side tracks.Something that the rest of the country needs to learn.Simply put,it means that those guys are watching their backs as well as their front!

Lovely pictures.Keep them coming.Thanx for sharing.Did you happen to buy peanuts at the Narmada bridge at Ankleshwar?Surat has the biggest wholesale peanut market in the country and the size of the peanuts that you get there is amazing!
ranjitp1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 16:29   #47
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
+1 about GJ roads,the GJ truck and car drivers are the most hassle free people you would find in India,a mere blink of your headlights,and they would instantly give way and they would almost never ever hog the right side tracks.Something that the rest of the country needs to learn.Simply put,it means that those guys are watching their backs as well as their front!
You bet. The most civil folks that i ever encountered. Now lets introduce these people to the other side of the coin ( folks from UP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
+
Lovely pictures.Keep them coming.Thanx for sharing.Did you happen to buy peanuts at the Narmada bridge at Ankleshwar?Surat has the biggest wholesale peanut market in the country and the size of the peanuts that you get there is amazing!
Ofcourse we did. No other choice!

It seemed like the "in-thing" to do while waiting in that jam. I am one of those guys who never misses out on such things.

We reached Udaipur and checked into our hotel around 8:00pm and headed straight to their rooftoop restuarant to sit in the cold weather and enjoy a candle light dinner.

Had some good food and crashed around midnight
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5276.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5286.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5291.jpg  

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:21   #48
Team-BHP Support

Got up late next day and decided to do some basic sightseeing of Udaipur.

I am not much of a sightseeing enthusiast but, being in a new place it was a mandate to check out things of common interest.

We visited the following places during the day

1. Fathesagar Lake
2. Saheliyon ki Bari
3. Sajjangarh Fort
4. City Palace
5. Finally, wound up the evening by going to a place called "Aap Ki Dhaani" with a similar concept of "Chowki Dhaani" in Jaipur

Here are some pictures of Fathesagar lake where you have several eateries lined up along the lakeside where we had a sumptious breakfast and some amazing coffee served in an earthen pot

P.S: I know my camera sensor throws up lot of spots. No money to change the lens as of yet
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5305.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5306.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5314.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5302.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5303.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 17:45   #49
Team-BHP Support

After the round of Fatehsagar lake we went to Saheliyon Ki Bari which is the royal gardens of princess.

We spent quite a bit of time there with our guide and then after this location we proceeded towards Sajjarngarh Fort on top of the mountain where they charge Rs.130 for Car Entry and Rs.20 for each person

Sajjangarh fort is a real nice place to visit considering the height its situated and it has some fantastic views of the entire city.

All the walls and flooring in this fort was really cold. Brrrrr

Nice place to sink in some great views of Udaipur
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5316.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5327.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5328.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5331.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5332.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5334.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5335.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5337.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5359.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5353.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-csc_6819.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5358.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5362.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5364.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5365.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5377.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5381.jpg  

Old 13th January 2011, 18:40   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am not much of a sightseeing enthusiast but, being in a new place it was a mandate to check out things of common interest.

P.S: I know my camera sensor throws up lot of spots. No money to change the lens as of yet
Udaipur is a beautiful place. I visited it once in mid-January 2005 and would love to go back there again. Nice pictures that relive my memories of that short trip!

By the way, what your camera needs is a sensor cleaning and not a lens change. I can do that for you if you're afraid of it. In return all I ask is that you let me drive WA on the ORR no questions asked .

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 20:02   #51
Senior - BHPian

Avinash,

Thats one hell of a zig zagging for family. So that was you my brother (lives in Nashik) saw zooming at 140? (pun).

Your Cruz is a beauty and all that power shown on the TV commercial seems to be there. It sure was a nice trip followed by a detailed travelogue.

Since I too just love to eat good food.. now the crucial question:
Personally, how much food oriented would you rate this trip (premeditated stops, detours, sampling, again detouring for good food, etc, but all related to food only)?

Enjoyed going through your experiences.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 21:31   #52
BHPian

That s one commendable trip acomplished with family ! Did you guys notice how many of us have spotted the car ? That makes it a small world ! Well even we all are car and highway drives lover so we spot each other doing this.
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 06:58   #53
BHPian

Quote:
You bet. The most civil folks that i ever encountered. Now lets introduce these people to the other side of the coin ( folks from UP)
Not just folks from UP, Haryana has a huge population of drivers and probably some of the most arrogant drivers in India. Even though I am from haryana, most drivers don't seem to care about flashing or even honking, instead some drivers get angry at flashing even though they are in the wrong lane.
These drivers do tend to behave better when they are away from northern India, however they are still a lot worser than these Gujju drivers.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 07:55   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Beileve it or not. On this stretch we covered 85kms in 30 mins flat
Does this mean constantly CRUZING at 170KPH for half an hour?!!
UNBELIEVABLE!

By the way, i like PIC #5269.
unoczar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 09:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic travelogue. I am glued to this one and eagerly awaiting the next installment.

What hotel did you stay at in Udaipur ? Looks familiar.

The cruze looks excellent and white colour is my favourite.
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 09:53   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Does this mean constantly CRUZING at 170KPH for half an hour?!!
UNBELIEVABLE!

By the way, i like PIC #5269.
The distance between Toll Gate to Toll Gate is about 88Kms and about year and half back, I also had done the stretch in 43 minutes. Its an awesome road but the discipline of the drivers make it what it is.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 11:17   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Bang on. I was about to mention that after the jam a toll. What an extreme situation. Do we have to pay toll even for getting OUT of a jam?
Very true. The feeling is so frustrating that it makes you feel like you should be paid at the toll booth

745km in 12.5 hours. That speed is above average.

The pics of the Cruze are amazing. Your fav pics are the best
benzinblut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 11:35   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
By the way, what your camera needs is a sensor cleaning and not a lens change. I can do that for you if you're afraid of it. In return all I ask is that you let me drive WA on the ORR no questions asked
Thanks for the offer to clean my camera's sensors but in return for doing such a good deed, i cannot offer that ride on ORR as i am strictly against making people feel jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Avinash,

Thats one hell of a zig zagging for family. So that was you my brother (lives in Nashik) saw zooming at 140? (pun).

Your Cruz is a beauty and all that power shown on the TV commercial seems to be there. It sure was a nice trip followed by a detailed travelogue.

Since I too just love to eat good food.. now the crucial question:
Personally, how much food oriented would you rate this trip (premeditated stops, detours, sampling, again detouring for good food, etc, but all related to food only)?

Enjoyed going through your experiences.

Regards,
Thank you Fazal bhai. I am glad that your enjoying my trip through my eyes. I am not much of a writer but, beileve in penning down whatever is possible in simplest possible manner.

I am surprised to know of being spotted by your brother. Nice feeling though

With regards to food, I have to mention with bit of a regret that this trip was not that enjoyable with regards to food as Rajasthani cuisine is not to my liking ( punjabi and maharastrian cuisine is so ingrained into my soul and body that its hard to like most other cuisines)

Enjoyed the street food in Rajasthan wherein the staple diet is Samosa, Different kinds of Kachoris and some amazing malpuas.

There was this one shop ( visited by HOMP fellas too) in Jaisalmer where he was making one of the most delectable samosas and we took away 2kgs of rasmalai after a small sample along with 2 dozen samosas and kachoris which were gobbled away in a single sitting.

That was the biggest crime of indulgence that we committed in this trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-hawk View Post
That s one commendable trip acomplished with family ! Did you guys notice how many of us have spotted the car ? That makes it a small world ! Well even we all are car and highway drives lover so we spot each other doing this.
Thanks. I was on constant lookout for cars sporting TBHP stickers but to my aghast didnt spot even one during the entire trip. Though spotted the Safari of a TBHPian which didnt have any stickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaush View Post
Not just folks from UP, Haryana has a huge population of drivers and probably some of the most arrogant drivers in India. Even though I am from haryana, most drivers don't seem to care about flashing or even honking, instead some drivers get angry at flashing even though they are in the wrong lane.
These drivers do tend to behave better when they are away from northern India, however they are still a lot worser than these Gujju drivers.
Well, I'll take your word for it. I drove once from Delhi to Rohtak thats the only experience of my driving in Haryana ( though travelled by cab several times) and didnt quite face a huge problem.

Whereas, in this trip having driven through the smallest of UP towns made me understood this most populated state of our country is also one of the most unruliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoczar View Post
Does this mean constantly CRUZING at 170KPH for half an hour?!! UNBELIEVABLE!
Thanks. You gotta beileve it as the top speed is something i dont want to write here which was also maintained for a fairly long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
Fantastic travelogue. I am glued to this one and eagerly awaiting the next installment.

What hotel did you stay at in Udaipur ? Looks familiar.

The cruze looks excellent and white colour is my favourite.
We stayed in a budget hotel HOTEL NATURAL :: UDAIPUR :: RAJASTHAN :: INDIA in Udaipur which was small and cozy.

Btw, the owner of this hotel was so fida over my Cruze that he had 100 questions about the same and he was mentioning to me that he was in a dilemma between an Endeavour and Cruze. Now he's convinced on a Cruze. One number ticked for Chevvy from my side

Well, coming back to the story after spending a fairly long time at Sajjangarh fort we headed back to town and decided to park the car at the hotel and take an autorickshaw to City Palace considering the constant warnings of its location in narrow lanes.

Autos came to our hotel and we reached City Palace in 10 mins. We got fleeced as each auto guy charged Rs.75. We decided to walk back to the hotel while returning as it was pretty close-by

Here are some pictures of City Palace. It was ok, not much to my liking

Post that tour, we walked back to hotel and picked up the car and decided to go to " Aap Ki Dhaani" which is kind of a copy of Chowki Dhani in Jaipur and our own " Dhola-Ri-Dhani" in Hyderabad

I experienced it a few times so i was not too keen but, my vote got smothered in a pile of aye's. So we drove some 15kms away from the city somewhere on the by-pass to reach this place.

It's supposed to be owned by a sardaji gentleman and we enjoyed the experience of puppet show, traditional dance, welcome drink and dinner in chowki style.

I was being crammed with Jalebi's as my cousin coaxed the waiters to stuff it in my mouth.

So anyone who experienced it will know it. Haan Ji, Naa Ji.....Saga

I enjoyed the food here. Hot, Spicy and Delicious

There was a cute little girl sitting next to me who was making such a big mess of herself that her mom kept apologizing to me.

I liked her a lot ( the little girl..not the mom...LOL)

A few people next to us was the ertwhile hot actress "Upasana Singh" who starred in " My Friend Ganesha" and starred in many movies in past with one of her famous character was where she keeps saying " Abba Ka Jabba" or some crap like that.

She looked as hot as ever........................

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5397.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5401.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5409.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5403.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5404.jpg

That's the cute girl who was the star attraction there

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5436.jpg

Hungry plates awaiting traditional rajasthani food

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5438.jpg

Check out teeka's on forehead

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5439.jpg

All straight noses in one line

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5435.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th January 2011 at 11:39.
Old 14th January 2011, 13:05   #59
Team-BHP Support

Next day ( Dec 27) got up little late and checked out of the hotel and headed towards our next destination which was Jodhpur (275kms away)

We had little trouble in getting out of the city and very soon we were on the highway and doing respectable speeds.

Now a word or two about this particular stretch. We crossed Mt.Abu and were tempted to re-route our plan but, we decided to miss as our schedule was more or less already planned

This particular stretch was so intoxicating that we were supposed to take a right after some 100kms and we went straight ahead and look at our foolishness, despite seeing signboards of Ahmdebad ( wrongly spelt) we continued in the wrong direction for 100kms as we thought there is another Ahmd ( considering the wrong spelling)

Our suspicion grew and we stopped and asked and were told with a shocking expression that you are 100 ahead and in wrong direction of our actual destination.

All of them blaming me as i was not ready to stop as i was badly intoxicated by those awesome roads

We stopped at a quaint dhaba enroute the single road to Jodhpur ( not that great roads) and had one of the best lunches. This dhaba's kitchen was immaculately clean.

We also spotted quite a few jainese in white dress walking on the highway. There is one picture of them walking on side of the highway.

Does anyone know why they do it and where they heading?

Finally, we doubled back and our original plan of reaching Jodhpur at 2pm got shattered and we could reach only by 5pm.
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5454.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5460.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5465.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5469.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5476.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5480.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5491.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5496.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5500.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5501.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5502.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5507.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5509.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5510.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5512.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5513.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5514.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5515.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5520.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5521.jpg  

Old 14th January 2011, 19:08   #60
Team-BHP Support

After reaching Jodhpur, we spent the evening chilling out and next day decided to take a couple of autorickshaws arranged by the hotel folks to tour the city.

First pitstop was at Umaid Bhavan Palace ( Jodhpur)

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5583.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5586.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5599.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5601.jpg

Spotted this beauty along with a Range Rover next to it

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5605.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5555.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5559.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5561.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5563.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5564.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5570.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5574.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5575.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_5577.jpg

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th January 2011 at 19:10.