Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th January 2011, 10:08   #121
BHPian

Default Re: Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze

Very engaging and nice pics. So how did you make your way back to Hyderabad. What was that about the 'blood and gore'?
Waiting for your next post.
Mountain.Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 12:56   #122
BHPian

Waiting to see your next post mobike008.
Coming back from Delhi did you take the N-S corridor via Jhansi or did you come via Bhopal.
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:48   #123
Senior - BHPian

So did the WA touch snow with its hooves? Any pics of the same? I feel that the WA on snow would make a nice pic.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 15:54   #124
BHPian

Thoroughly enjoyed your log and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
dave7377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 19:08   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajadonga View Post
Waiting to see your next post mobike008.
Coming back from Delhi did you take the N-S corridor via Jhansi or did you come via Bhopal.
Been a hectic day today with work and some personal stuff keeping me busy. While coming back I took the back-route from Meerut without even touching Delhi and didnt come via Jhansi but, via Bhopal

Will post next installment sometime tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
So did the WA touch snow with its hooves? Any pics of the same? I feel that the WA on snow would make a nice pic.
I would have myself loved to see a picture of WA growling in the snow. Unfortunately, we didnt use the car for entire 40 hours that we were in Nainital. In addition to that, we found snow only when we went up further and didnt know that we will find so much snow.

Tough luck..eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave7377 View Post
Thoroughly enjoyed your log and pictures. Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure Dave. I enjoyed my drive through Gujrat the most. I would say your state has the best highways in entire country with people having the most respect for fellow drivers.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 19:21   #126
BHPian

Super Travelogue Sir, you have really covered almost all that one would like to see in various different trips in one single drive. How did you find the end of the day fatigue specially after the long drive-days? Was the drive as enjoyable towards the end specially for the return journey?
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2011, 19:55   #127
BHPian

Oh man what a travelogue this is, mindblowing. Your pictures speak and i don't feel that your cam is sleeping in night too, considering the pictures you have posted in page 7 with lights all over. Feel jealous of you I think your family is very supportive in accepting for this long drive. I didnt know that nainital is so beautiful, would definitely plan for this place in winter sometimes in the future. Thanks for sharing those pics and the excellent write up. Last but not the least you cruze poses with boldness in all your snaps.
informmaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 13:17   #128
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
Super Travelogue Sir, you have really covered almost all that one would like to see in various different trips in one single drive. How did you find the end of the day fatigue specially after the long drive-days? Was the drive as enjoyable towards the end specially for the return journey?
It really was like several holidays clubbed into one including the different terrain experienced. If the day drive was on superlative expressways like we found in GJ and RJ, then fatigue at end of day was not much.

But, when you drive on rough terrain even though you cover less ground the fatigue at end of day is unexplainable. Only thoughts that run around mind is Roti, Kapda Aur Makaan ( literally).

I mean, food, change of clothes and to hit a nice bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by informmaha View Post
Oh man what a travelogue this is, mindblowing. Your pictures speak and i don't feel that your cam is sleeping in night too, considering the pictures you have posted in page 7 with lights all over. Feel jealous of you I think your family is very supportive in accepting for this long drive. I didnt know that nainital is so beautiful, would definitely plan for this place in winter sometimes in the future. Thanks for sharing those pics and the excellent write up. Last but not the least you cruze poses with boldness in all your snaps.
Thanks for the appreciation. Yes, sometimes my camera decides to please me and comes up with some lovely pictures. Rest of the times, it does not agree with me

This was also my first visit to Nainital and i really enjoyed visiting this place and would rate it better than Shimla.

My White Annihilator performed so flawlessly that it deserved some tributes by way of a few pictures here and there.

Alright, continuing with my saga, it was decided that we will take the N-S corridor and we planned to start from Meerut on Jan 6th at 6:00am and stick to the regular route of Meerut-Delhi-Agra etc.

However, after a heavy dose of good food a man cannot get up at 5:00am so we got up instead at 7:00am and got a call from a cousin from Lucknow and when we mentioned the route. He said, it will take you minimum 12pm to just get out of Delhi which seemed realistic and not very encouraging as our entire 1st day distance coverage would go for a sachin's toss.

He said, why dont you try this route :-

Meerut-Hapur-Bullandshahar-Aligarh-Agra

And, in the heat of the matter we decided on above route and headed out from home at 8:15am and made a quick stop to tank up and were on our way.

Roads until Hapur was just about ok but, our nightmare started from thereon almost until Aligarh which was about 100kms the roads were absolutely terrible and Cruze was tortured to an extent it has never been before. In some sections there was no road, i was veering completely off the right shoulder and going down the path to move forward. Besides, there was regular flow of oncoming traffic that makes the going even more tough

This exercise went on for a long period and was pretty stressful and energy sapping stuff.

Our progress was very slow as we were extremely careful to ensure that neither the car gets bottom scraped or we fall into huge potholes, small boulders and stones strewn all across that road.

Somehow we ambled our way into Aligarh town and like all other UP towns it was terribly crowded and you lose a lot of time maneuvering through narrow streets filled with human chaos. We were cursing that cousin but, also were thinking that had we taken the Delhi route, we would been caught in massive traffic jams and inevitably get super delayed. That was just a way to console ourselves

We reached Agra at 1:00pm and spent quite a bit of time asking our way out of city to get on to the Gwalior highway. For some moments, we were tempted to stop and check out Taj Mahal but, we controlled that urge.

Here is a brief video of the Meerut-Aligarh stretch where you can see the roads are terrible ( not too clear in video). Almost entire section was more or less like this.

Old 20th January 2011, 14:05   #129
BHPian

I think you have not lost time travelling from Meerut to Agra.When I travelled from Agra to Delhi it took almost 4hrs last week.
Road from Agra -Delhi is four lane but lot of traffic.Trailor tractors coming on the wrong side.Cannot maintain speed.
Faridabad does not have a bypass wasted closed to 40mins in the traffic.
Palwal another town before Faridabad no bypass lost about 20mins.
I was driving between 11.30am to 3.30pm
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 15:17   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Tough luck..eh?
Not at all. Instead, it's opportunity.

An opportunity to repeat the trip so that WA can enjoy some snow this time.

Quote:
Here is a brief video of the Meerut-Aligarh stretch where you can see the roads are terrible (not too clear in video). Almost entire section was more or less like this.
To be frank when I saw the first few seconds of this video I wondered what the big deal/fuss was all about! Many roads in Hyderabad are like this .

But the second half of this video proved your point. It's extremely stressful to drive on such stretches. Add traffic to that and you've got the perfect nightmare.

I think it would've been even worse for you and WA if the car was fully loaded instead of just driver + cleaner.

Quote:
I think you have not lost time travelling from Meerut to Agra.When I travelled from Agra to Delhi it took almost 4hrs last week.
Road from Agra -Delhi is four lane but lot of traffic.Trailor tractors coming on the wrong side.Cannot maintain speed.
Faridabad does not have a bypass wasted closed to 40mins in the traffic.
Palwal another town before Faridabad no bypass lost about 20mins.
I was driving between 11.30am to 3.30pm
4 hrs is terrific improvement. I remember a trip from Delhi to Agra and back in December 2006. A friend and I booked a taxi ex-Noida and visited Akbar's tomb, the Taj and a couple of other monuments and came back. To this day I cannot understand how we managed to finish the trip in one day. Both onward and return journeys took almost 7 hours (5 AM to noon, 5-ish PM to midnight). Of course there was at least one long break on each leg (Akbar's tomb in the onward leg, dinner while returning), but still...

Lack of bypasses was the icing on top of this particular cake.

I never understood how this "expressway" enjoyed such good rapport back then. Tractors in the wrong direction, stray cattle, rough patches - all of this on toll roads if I remember correctly.

I know of at least one other person (a foreigner) whose plan was shot to pieces because he was led to believe Del to Agra was "4/5 hours only" and it took him 7 hours instead. This was in 2007/2008.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 15:20   #131
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
When I travelled from Agra to Delhi it took almost 4hrs last week.Road from Agra -Delhi is four lane but lot of traffic.Trailor tractors coming on the wrong side.Cannot maintain speed.
This sounds so much like Jaipur-Delhi with 4-lane work happening with lots of truck traffic and diversions.

Anyways, in retrospection looks like the tortoise won over the rabbit ( route chosen instead of Meerut-Delhi-Agra)

As concentration was so hard during entire drive up to Agra that we couldnt click any pictures. Here are a few after reaching Agra
Attached Thumbnails
Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_6656.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_6662.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_6663.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_6666.jpg  

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-dsc_6667.jpg  

Old 20th January 2011, 17:10   #132
BHPian

Super write-up Avi, and great photos too! Very well discribed, can almost visualize the whole trip by your discriptions... and the photos, they just add that extra bit to the whole experience of reading.
Waiting for more here and awaiting your next trip ;-)
Sabby-069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 04:44   #133
Senior - BHPian

Wow. I am glued to this thread.

Frankly i love GM as i feel they are the only ones who launch vehicles which are very satisfying as compared to many who have been in the market for long.

None of the travellogues ends without mentioning good roads in Guj. Impressive.

What was the mileage on the car like? Trip logs?
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 12:50   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is a brief video of the Meerut-Aligarh stretch where you can see the roads are terrible ( not too clear in video). Almost entire section was more or less like this.

"Cruze offroading" - LOL. Almost all secondary UP roads (and even NHs in certain patches) have lately become like this (since last year's super-heavy monsoon). For example, the NH58 (which you drove from Delhi to Meerut) had been like that till just 2 months ago...

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-nh58-4.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-nh58-6.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-nh58-9.jpg

Expressway-Sand-Gravel-Snow: 5500kms in a Chevrolet Cruze-nh58-13.jpg

...and the patch repairs done since are peeling off, once again making the surface lunar. It certainly takes a toll on the suspension, and I've had damper changes in the Swift as well as the Scorpio. But one trip doesn't make a difference anyway.

Edit: Could we have some more instalments please? I am loving it...

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 21st January 2011 at 12:52.
SS-Traveller is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2011, 12:51   #135
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Super write-up Avi, and great photos too! Very well discribed, can almost visualize the whole trip by your discriptions... and the photos, they just add that extra bit to the whole experience of reading.
Waiting for more here and awaiting your next trip ;-)
Thanks Sabby. Next installment will come up sometime this afternoon. Keep tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Frankly i love GM as i feel they are the only ones who launch vehicles which are very satisfying as compared to many who have been in the market for long.

None of the travellogues ends without mentioning good roads in Guj. Impressive.

What was the mileage on the car like? Trip logs?
This is my first GM car and I was sceptical like most about the service and to an extent the product itself. But, my journey until now with the WA has been just superlative. But, I beileve in going ahead with my heart and didnt care too much for adverse opinions and frightening re-sale stories whilst buying.

I am like one of those guys--To heck with what everyone says, I will do what i want ( when my mind is set to it)

FE has not be very impressive ( mentioned in my first post of this travelogue, I think)

Overall : 13kmpl
Worst : 11.5kmpl in one tankful
Best : Little over 13.5kmpl