Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 20th January 2011, 02:39   #1
BHPian

Default Wayanad, Kerala - Jan 14-16, 2011

Planning:

Another long weekend and another trip and this time to God's own country, Kerela (Wayanad to be precise). The planning started just after our new year trip to Hogenekkal falls and luckily the loss of three mobile phones didn't really soften the spirit. We have heard a lot about the place and it was really the ladies that planned everything this time, even booked the hotel themselves. I was left with only the driving and was surprised when Nidhi actually had the route directions ready and helped with the navigation when on board.

Dates: 14 16 January, 2011
Machine: Cookie (Aveo)
Hotel: Haritagiri in Kalpetta
Gang: Aunty, Ritu, Nidhi, Krishna and Me

Cookie - The Car
Name:  Wayanad 100.JPG
Views: 6003
Size:  253.5 KB

The Gang
Name:  Wayanad 077.JPG
Views: 15696
Size:  255.1 KB
Name:  Wayanad 021.JPG
Views: 5521
Size:  249.3 KB

Expenditure:

Fuel: 65 litre
Toll: Rs. 45 + 45 (Nice Road )
Hotal Haritagiri: Rs 1200 + Rs 600 (extra two person) + tax = Rs 4000 for 2 D/ 2N
Ayurvedic Massage: Rs 800 per head
Pookote Lake: Rs. 10 per head + Rs 10 for camera
Banasura Sagar Dam: Rs 10 per head + Rs 10 for camera
Food and others: Rs. 3000
Total: Rs. 15000 + Shopping

Experience:

It was an awesome trip. Wayanad is beautiful and offered pleasant atmosphere throughout the vacation time. If you are bored of the daily office life and want a weekend gateaway, this is the place to be to rejuvenate and gather your energy. It's not a place for the adventure loving kinds though there are few treks as I heard but didn't try, it's more for relaxing and having a good time. The people in Kerela were nice and friendly, the environment calm and serene, the places lush green and beautiful. Coffee and Tea plantation was a treat to eye.

We stayed at Haritagiri Hotel in Kalpetta. The stay was nice and peaceful and the package offered complimentary breakfast and access to swimming pool. It had a couple of restaurants which served good food and an ayurvedic massage parlour. We preferred to stay at the hotel mostly and visited only the Pootoke lake and Banasura Sagar Dam. The boating at the lake was closed by the time we reached but the Dam trip was magnificent. A must go for anyone who visits Wayanad.

Drive throughout the trip was enjoyable especially the Ghat section which leads to Kozhikode. I drove downhill for some 25 km before heading back to Kalpetta. Loved the 700 km drive (except the 40 km entering into Bangalore) all by myself with the three ladies not knowing how to drive and the little five year gracefully rejecting my offer to drive.

Name:  Wayanad 089.JPG
Views: 5099
Size:  151.7 KB
Name:  Wayanad 050.JPG
Views: 5085
Size:  147.8 KB
Name:  Wayanad 132.JPG
Views: 5462
Size:  205.5 KB

Route and Road:

Route: Bangalore Mysore Nanjangudu Guldelpet Sultan Bathery Kalpetta

We started at 7:00 am from Koramangala (a little late for my liking) and reached Nice Road Toll Gate by 8:00 am as I stopped at an ATM on the way. Paid up and took the Mysore Road Highway towards NH 209. The road was impeccable and we moved along at pretty much 80 kmph throughout the next hour before halting at Mc Donalds on the left. There is gas station and a few restaurants on the left and we McD will go well with the kid. You will find enough eating joints including CCD on the way until Mysore. Another two hours went pretty much the same way sailing at good speed and singing along till we reached Mandya just before Mysore. It was 11:30 and Friday so the traffic too was building up as well and there big humps at regular intervals so we moved slowly and carefully.
The road from Mysore to Nanjangudu was bad. There was work going on this stretch and hopefully by next time we will get a good smooth ride but at the moment, it's got some potholes and the ride was bumpy though maintaing a speed of 30-40 kmph shouldn't be a problem and took us some 30-40 minutes to cross that path. Next identifiable landmark was Gundlupet before entering the forest region of Bandipur National Park which is where we took our second pitstop. The forest road was pretty nice saving a few broken patches and potholes so be careful. I liked the drive through the forest curling left and right. We didn't spot any wildlife there given the time of day didn't expect any either. Reached Sultan Bathery at 1:30 pm and headed towards Kalpetta which was another 15 km. The road was again nice and fine without any problems. The landmarks were pretty decently marked through the route and expect our way out of Mysore we didn't ask for any directions.

In all I would rate the ride at 7/10. Pretty much smooth throughout the trip with enough curls and curves to keep you interested. As for the 700 km on the odo, I loved every inch of it.

Nice Road Toll Gate
Name:  Wayanad 001.JPG
Views: 5049
Size:  170.1 KB
Nice Road
Name:  Wayanad 006.JPG
Views: 4995
Size:  168.4 KB
Mysore Road
Name:  Wayanad 027.JPG
Views: 4889
Size:  230.7 KB
Mysore
Name:  Wayanad 031.JPG
Views: 4904
Size:  256.7 KB
Nanjungadu
Name:  Wayanad 041.JPG
Views: 4810
Size:  229.5 KB
Bandipur National Park
Name:  Wayanad 078.JPG
Views: 4904
Size:  238.1 KB

Pitstops

The first one was McD on the left on Mysore Road, some one hour after leaving the Nice Toll Gate. Everyone had their share of McVeggie and hot tea we packed from home. Spend more time than we should have as the gang got into photo shooting mode.
The next one came at a Ram Temple in Bandipur National Park. The road side view was really nice, so I stopped to take some pics but it turned out to a long break. Had a little snack we carried with and took lots of pictures. This was just after we crossed the first barrier section in BNP (didn't really note the exact location) but there was a big temple on the right side just after crossing the barrier.
The tank full of gas in Cookie was enough to get us through to Wayanad but there wasn't shortage of gas stations on the route. The 30 km or so stretch in Bandipur was the only area without a petrol bunk but otherwise I could stop one at frequent intervals. The same goes with food but don't expect a CCD or a McD after Mysore.
McDonalds
Name:  Wayanad 014.JPG
Views: 4865
Size:  224.5 KB
Name:  Wayanad 018.JPG
Views: 4791
Size:  228.2 KB
Bandipur National Park
Name:  Wayanad 066.JPG
Views: 4718
Size:  262.4 KB
Name:  Wayanad 108.JPG
Views: 6633
Size:  259.5 KB
Name:  Wayanad 114.JPG
Views: 4605
Size:  267.1 KB
Attached Images

markmytravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 07:05   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Wayanad, Kerela - Jan 14-16, 2011

Nice narration, I guess another good travelogue worth reading.
Do give us extra information on the importance of all places you visited.
akaush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 07:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Ya, Wayanad [infact whole of God's own country!!] is always green and inviting.

Good trip you had there.

Btw, why you did not visit kuruva island or chochipara falls? Time constraint or just left it?

Wayanad trip was my first long trip from Bangalore. And that was on my Zen. Thanks for bringing back those memories
mjothi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 09:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@markmytravel, call it coincidence - We were there too on the same dates and my Wayanad travelogue (Bangalore - Wayanad - (14-16 Jan 2011) - Swift Diesel (VDi) - 46,000 kms !) has been posted as well. If you thought the dates are the only coincidence, see the pic below shot from our cam !

Wayanad, Kerala - Jan 14-16, 2011-img_4126.jpg
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 09:54   #5
BHPian

Good snaps markmytravel. Nice to hear you had a great time. Btw, the BNP bamboo trees - they are really cool, a member of this forum has it as his avatar. Trees in the backdrop of his car.

Couple of corrections though

- Its Kerala and not "Kerela".
- Chochipara? Should'nt it be Soochipara?
jeevmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2011, 12:03   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Ya, Wayanad [infact whole of God's own country!!] is always green and inviting.
==================
Wayanad trip was my first long trip from Bangalore. And that was on my Zen. Thanks for bringing back those memories
It was getting hot for our liking and didn't want to exhaust ourselves after the Banasura Sagar dam trip and the important point was ladies wanted to do some shopping at a Saree shop close to our hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
@markmytravel, call it coincidence - We were there too on the same dates
==============
Attachment 485923
Seems like exactly the same spot. Guess we can post them to find 5 differences

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th January 2011 at 12:16. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait 20 mins OR use edit button next time
Old 20th January 2011, 15:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
It was getting hot for our liking and didn't want to exhaust ourselves after the Banasura Sagar dam trip and the important point was ladies wanted to do some shopping at a Saree shop close to our hotel
Are you talking about "Sindhur" ? Haritagiri served as a landmark for us to find our stay a multiple times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Seems like exactly the same spot. Guess we can post them to find 5 differences
I guess we should do something of that sort !

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 20th January 2011 at 15:51.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 01:37   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Wayanad, Kerala - Jan 14-16, 2011

Hi Pal,
Your thread title says you went wayanad but in your itinerary you have mentioned details till Kalpetta. Can you update us with more details after Kalpetta to wayanad? I mean how to go and what to keep in mind from Kalpetta to wayanad.
Anandg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2011, 14:36   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
Hi Pal,
Your thread title says you went wayanad but in your itinerary you have mentioned details till Kalpetta. Can you update us with more details after Kalpetta to wayanad? I mean how to go and what to keep in mind from Kalpetta to wayanad.
Wayanad is a district in north east Kerala and Kalpetta is a town in Wayanad. You can find more details on the same on wiki site and other TBHP forums.
Wayanad district - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:28   #10
BHPian

Nice detailed travelogue and pics. How was the road from Kalpetta to Banasurasagar dam? I believe one can take the Banasura route via Manathanvady, Kutta, (through Nagarhole forest) Gonikoppal, Hunsur, Mysore, Bangalore. Did you consider this? I heard these roads expecially through Nagarhole are quite bad. Any comments?
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2011, 19:40   #11
BHPian

The picture that you mentioned as 'nice road' just after the toll gate is from where and which highway is it.
And the road looked so empty, is it always like this with very few vehicles or due to the time of the day.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2011, 22:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Nice detailed travelogue and pics. How was the road from Kalpetta to Banasurasagar dam? I believe one can take the Banasura route via Manathanvady, Kutta, (through Nagarhole forest) Gonikoppal, Hunsur, Mysore, Bangalore. Did you consider this? I heard these roads expecially through Nagarhole are quite bad. Any comments?
The road from Kalpetta to Banasurasagar is decent - with the odd pothole here and there just like any other interior road in Kerala. The road from Mananthavadi is very similar, I'd say it is slightly worse because the initial stretch of road from Mananthavady to Thariode is not in great shape. In fact the best approach to Banasurasagar would probably be from Vythiri - the road between Vythiri and Padinjarethara is well surfaced even though not very fast because it is very curvy.

The other part of your question (as to which is the better route to get to Wynad) is more generic in nature. Depends on which part of Wynad your primary destination is : If you're going to make Bathery or Kalpetta your base, I'd say going through the conventional Mysore-Nanjangud-Gundlupet-Bathery route would be better. On the other hand if your primary target is somewhere in North Wyanad (like Mananthavady), I'd suggest SH33 from Mysore to Mananthavady via Kabini / Bavali. It is shorter and faster in spite of a 10-15 kms deviation through some villages around Karapur / Kabini area. If you want to enjoy a more scenic drive where you get to see more wildlife, you could use the Hunsur-Nagarahole-Kutta route, but the roads are worse than SH33. The Hunsur-Gonikoppal-Kutta route is certainly not worthy of a recommendation since the roads on this route have been bad to very bad for quite some time now.
kala is offline   Reply With Quote