Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 26th January 2011, 12:09   #16
BHPian

Default Re: An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa

Hi C_L,

I have been away from T-BHP for 3-4 months, and see what a time for me to be back! With you too back here with yet another incredible trip, a blissful virtual experience is on for all of us! Even more interested as our son is saying Goa Goa .. for next trip! Narrowly missed to plan a trip to that part during this winter due to some other commitments.

In your TL, as always, so much is to be read, seen, enjoyed, learned and responded to. This time focus of your photos seems to have a unique theme. Even few early snaps are enough to make it clear that road is the best medium to see and feel this beautiful and diverse country.

If people like HVK sir could wait for your TL with such eagerness who else wouldn't?

Also got to catch up with quite a few other interesting TLs, the two GQ trips are very close to my liking.

Hooked to the mega show..

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 26th January 2011 at 12:12.
LongDrive lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 12:39   #17
BHPian

Amazing TL Chery lover. I have been a huge fan of your earlier travelogues as well. Really like your narrative and looking forward to this one. Cheers.
sami316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 16:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the appreciation, Ampere, Longdrivelover and Sami. I will try to make this TL as interesting as possible! Coming up, some never before seen scenes!!! Stay tuned...

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 26th January 2011 at 16:49.
Chevy_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 17:36   #19
BHPian

Nice travelogue am glued to it waiting for your posts to see Goa.
This route from Kolhapur to Goa via Gaganbawda looks good too.
I think you must have used the Amboli ghat on your return.
Good start keep it up
gajadonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 18:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Finally you are back! I was reading but did not comment. Amazing preparation for both self and the car!

A Question: Why you chose the Gaganbawda option but not the one via Radhanagari? The lake view would have a good see on the way. Are road conditions from Kolhapur not good?
Sorry Ampere, I missed your question earlier. As far as I know, Gagan bawda ghats are the best, in terms of traffic and facilities available nearby. I am not aware of Radhanagari route. I have always used Gagan Bawda.

Road conditions from Rankala till Gaganbawda are quite good. There are some stretches where they haven't put a top layer of smooth tar. So the ride is bumpy. But on a whole, it is a smooth road and is easy to maintain 70 kmph easily.

@gajadonga, thanks.

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 26th January 2011 at 18:14.
Old 26th January 2011, 19:07   #21
BHPian

I am still reading your Blog, but i had to say this.
Awesome photos, i just love the light in your photos!!
RROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 19:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Gagan Bawda Ghats

The road condition till Gagan Bawda was quite good and I was able to maintain 70 kmph most of the time. We really enjoyed the drive. We saw thousands of sugar cane laden tractors and they slowed us down considerably. The distance from Kolhapur to GB ghats was approximately 65 kilometres.

We reached the ghat by 9.30 am and parked our Chevy in a small parking/ viewing spot made away from the road. There was only very sparse traffic on the road.

Gagan Bawda ghats have some pretty nasty myths attached to it. There are stories of presence of dacoits, etc. The effect of such stories is so pronounced that I have seen a weird kind of fear in the minds of some of my acquaintances, whenever they hear the name Gagan Bawda. Some guys even refused to drive via Gagan Bawda and used the Amboli ghat and Belgaum route to go to Goa.

I don’t know how true those stories are! But what I can say for sure is that the natural beauty of Gagan Bawda is mind blowing! We were truly mesmerized by the ghats. What a superb way to start the day!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-1-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-2-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-3-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-4-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-5-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-6-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-7-gagan.bawda.jpg

This Volvo had a punctured front tyre!

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-8-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-9-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-10-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-11-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-12-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-13-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-14-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-15-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-16-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-17-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-18-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-19-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-20-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-21-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-22-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-23-gagan.bawda.jpg
An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-24-gagan.bawda.jpg
Chevy_lover is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 20:24   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RROD View Post
I am still reading your Blog, but i had to say this.
Awesome photos, i just love the light in your photos!!
Thank you, RROD. All credit to my dear wife, who spent countless hours clicking all these snaps.
Old 26th January 2011, 20:40   #24
BHPian

Default Re: The drive continues…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Any idea what is happening here? A factory?
Seems like a jaggery manufacturing unit. The entire sugar belt, like also in Mandya, is littered with jaggery units like this.

Superb photos ! and who says you both were the only ones in your car ? the way you are narrating, you have the entire TBHP community in your back seats !

Rating the best !
roamingrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 20:43   #25
cLJ
BHPian

Very colourful photos and nice narration which is your speciality. Waiting for more photos.
cLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 21:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamingrao View Post
Seems like a jaggery manufacturing unit. The entire sugar belt, like also in Mandya, is littered with jaggery units like this.

Superb photos ! and who says you both were the only ones in your car ? the way you are narrating, you have the entire TBHP community in your back seats !

Rating the best !
Thanks for the clarification, Roaming Rao. I thought all this time that it could be a sugar manufacturing small scale factory.

Thank you for the rating, Roaming Rao. I hope I will be able keep you interested with pics of Goa. Lots more coming up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cLJ View Post
Very colourful photos and nice narration which is your speciality. Waiting for more photos.
Thank you CLJ. All credit to my wife, who took all these pics.

Comingup shortly, for the first time in Team BHP, a virtual tour of Gagan Bawda!

Last edited by Chevy_lover : 26th January 2011 at 21:30.
Old 26th January 2011, 22:19   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Sorry Ampere, I missed your question earlier. As far as I know, Gagan bawda ghats are the best, in terms of traffic and facilities available nearby. I am not aware of Radhanagari route. I have always used Gagan Bawda.
CL even I am not aware of the Gagan bawda range. The name itself sounds pretty exciting. And the snaps do full justice to the place.

All you want in that place is a tea stall ....!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 23:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up A virtual tour of Gagan Bawda

We started our drive in Gagan Bawda ghats shortly, after a short photo session from the viewing point. The road was awesome almost 90% of the way. Some potholes have developed towards the end of the ghats. Thankfully, the government has started tarring work.

I have seen that most newbie drivers have a great fear of Gagan Bawda ghats, mainly because of the stories revolving around the dangerousness of the ghats! Let me tell all of you very clearly that Gagan Bawda is not as dangerous as it is made out to be. There are some simple rules which one needs to follow during ghat driving. As long as a driver follows them, there is absolutely nothing to worry about. The different rules of mountain driving are covered in various threads in Team BHP.

So let me take all of my dear readers on a virtual tour of Gagan Bawda. There are some pretty sharp turns and hairpins there. As long as one takes those turns in low gear, one can control the vehicle optimally.

So let’s start the tour without any further delay….

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-1-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

The first Hair pin curve...

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-2-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-3-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-4-driving_through_gagan.bawda_the-first-hair-pin-curve.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-5-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-6-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-7-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-8-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-9-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-10-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-11-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-12-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-13-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-14-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-15-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-16-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-17-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-18-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-19-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-20-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-21-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-22-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-23-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-24-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-25-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-26-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-27-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-28-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-29-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg

An incredible road trip to the “Pearl of the Orient” – Goa-30-driving_through_gagan.bawda.jpg
Old 26th January 2011, 23:39   #29
BHPian

Beautiful pics ChevyLover.

Seeing these pics takes me back to the last week of Dec,2007.We took the exact route to go to Tarkarli and from there to Goa on my Petra.

The roads from Kolhapur to Gaganbawda were in a pathetic condition then and I clearly remember everyone in the car wanting to just reach the destination sooner.All that changed the moment we reached Gaganbawda and crossed that arch post which the ghat roads start

It was all ooh's & aah's then on until we hit NH17 at Kharepatan

I didnt hear about the ghats being dangerous then.But I remember well that the road was virtually empty.Barring a local tractor passing here and there,I didnt come across another private vehicle until we reached NH17
jraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2011, 01:13   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jraj View Post
Beautiful pics ChevyLover.

Seeing these pics takes me back to the last week of Dec,2007.We took the exact route to go to Tarkarli and from there to Goa on my Petra.

The roads from Kolhapur to Gaganbawda were in a pathetic condition then and I clearly remember everyone in the car wanting to just reach the destination sooner.All that changed the moment we reached Gaganbawda and crossed that arch post which the ghat roads start

I didnt hear about the ghats being dangerous then.But I remember well that the road was virtually empty.Barring a local tractor passing here and there,I didnt come across another private vehicle until we reached NH17
Thank you, Jraj. I am happy that you liked the pics. There are lots more coming up! Get ready for a visual treat! Goa is incredibly beautiful!!!

Gagan Bawda is pretty deserted now also. But the road from Rankala till Gagan Bawda is in very good condition now.