Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 4th January 2012, 15:02   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

English is a funny language. You've different words for different expressions.

Thirst is quenched, but not satiated.

Sariska shall remain my top priority for ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

GD Sir, Thirst quenched? Does that mean no more visits to Sariska?

Regards
Old 6th January 2012, 18:14   #242
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Lovely pictures that stares you in the eye.

Sariska is your week end trip now from the glow I saw in your eyes when I met you in Delhi. Where do you hide the Tiger Powder, you sprinkle and they come out to lick your hands!! I'd borrow some next time I head out to MP.

--Ramky
=====
Old 6th January 2012, 18:20   #243
BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

GD read the entire travelogue in one go. Awesome, amazing, etc are the words for it.

When are you planning your next trip?? Also please PM me your number so that if it works out i would definitely would like to accompany you during your next visit.

Cheers
Old 6th January 2012, 20:57   #244
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Ramky for the kind words. Tiger Powder almost sounds like our "gun powder" (molahapudi)..

You almost make it sound as if they reside in my backyard. Sometimes I don't get to see any as well inspire of trying a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post

Lovely pictures that stares you in the eye.

Sariska is your week end trip now from the glow I saw in your eyes when I met you in Delhi. Where do you hide the Tiger Powder, you sprinkle and they come out to lick your hands!! I'd borrow some next time I head out to MP.

--Ramky
=====
Thank you Warrior for liking. I might go on the 15th. Before that I want to lay my hands on the Nikkor 300mm with the TC 1.4x. You are welcome to accompany me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Warrior View Post

GD read the entire travelogue in one go. Awesome, amazing, etc are the words for it.

When are you planning your next trip?? Also please PM me your number so that if it works out i would definitely would like to accompany you during your next visit.

Cheers
Old 13th January 2012, 12:51   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
The stroll continues
Amazing pics sir.

VEry rarely does the King allow for such elaborate media appearances.

In all probability I'm going to Sariska tomorrow.

One query: If I do not take my car, and instead go till Alwar by train, is there any mode of transport available from Alwar-Sariska and vice versa.

If not, is it advisable to take an Esteem till there. Someone was telling me about really bad roads.

Thanks,
Tapish
Old 13th January 2012, 13:05   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Amazing pics sir.

One query: If I do not take my car, and instead go till Alwar by train, is there any mode of transport available from Alwar-Sariska and vice versa.

If not, is it advisable to take an Esteem till there. Someone was telling me about really bad roads.

Thanks,
Tapish
This is not correct, the roads till Sariska are absolutely awesome. There are 2 routes that can be taken -

one is via NH8 till shahpura and then turn towards Sariska.

NH8 till Bhiwadi and left turn left into Bhiwadi and take old Alwar highway. From there till Alwar - bypass Alwar and continue towards SAriska. I routinely take this route - roads are very nice and traffic is minimal. Only thing is that there are very little dhabbas on this route, so you have to take this into consideration.
sach.sri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 13:43   #247
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Tapish. Indeed very rarely does the King put up a show for you. I've been just informed that it is very cold in Sariska, so cover yourself accordingly, lest you fall sick.

Suggest contact Harisingh (guide) 09950316085 with my reference. He shall do the necessary arrangements by the time you reach.

Sachin has already updated you about the road conditions. Not to worry.

Quote:

Amazing pics sir.

Thanks,
Tapish
Old 13th January 2012, 13:52   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
This is not correct, the roads till Sariska are absolutely awesome. There are 2 routes that can be taken -

one is via NH8 till shahpura and then turn towards Sariska.

NH8 till Bhiwadi and left turn left into Bhiwadi and take old Alwar highway. From there till Alwar - bypass Alwar and continue towards SAriska. I routinely take this route - roads are very nice and traffic is minimal. Only thing is that there are very little dhabbas on this route, so you have to take this into consideration.
Thanks Sachin. Really helpful.

Quote:
I've been just informed that it is very cold in Sariska, so cover yourself accordingly, lest you fall sick.

Suggest contact Harisingh (guide) 09950316085 with my reference. He shall do the necessary arrangements by the time you reach.
Thanks GD sir for your inputs. We might meet each other there .

Cheers,
Tapish
Old 13th January 2012, 13:56   #249
Senior - BHPian

Acquired another hardware to "hunt", yesterday:

Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S ED

Name:  300mm.jpg
Views: 761
Size:  47.3 KB

TC-14E II not available. Have ordered and shall receive on Tuesday..

Last edited by gd1418 : 13th January 2012 at 13:57.
Old 13th January 2012, 14:05   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sachin. Really helpful.

Thanks GD sir for your inputs. We might meet each other there .

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish - also check out this link for more information on Sariska. Started recently to capture information about Indian National parks in one place

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...formation.html (Wildlife Sanctuaries in India - Comprehensive information)

Quote:

Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S ED

Attachment 871103

TC-14E II not available. Have ordered and shall receive on Tuesday..
Holy-waka-molly!!!
Old 13th January 2012, 18:07   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S ED
GD Sahab,

This hardware is capable of shooting ST 3's unborn cubs in the womb. When will you stop now?
Regards,
Old 13th January 2012, 20:32   #252
Senior - BHPian

Sachin are these the names of some new three Cats introduced in Sariska? How come I didn't hear of this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

Holy-waka-molly!!!
Fazalbhai,

Nowhere in the lens manual is mentioned that it is X-ray enabled to see through the skin...

Wasn't it you who mentioned long time back that this is a moneyless pit? I was actually looking for a 200~400 f/4, but that was way out of my budget. This was the next best that I could afford as even the 300 mm f/2.8 was bloody expensive. Coupled with the TC 14 this would give me 600mm on a DX and 400+mm on a FX.

Waiting for February end when the rumored D 800 is going to be launched as I badly need a second body. With this gear, it would be fun in Gir in April..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

This hardware is capable of shooting ST 3's unborn cubs in the womb.

When will you stop now?

Regards,

Last edited by gd1418 : 13th January 2012 at 20:34.
Old 15th January 2012, 00:14   #253
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm..... leaving for Sariska in a few hours with wifey, Sachin (sach.sri) and a friend & his wife...
Old 17th January 2012, 13:46   #254
Senior - BHPian

15th January, 2012 - 02:50 am

Sachin (sach.sri) arrived in his MHawk and parked in my building's visitor parking bay. Sridhar arrived in a cab minus Ujjaini (his 30 days old wife) as she had fallen sick (so much for being a newly-wed). We were ready to roll.

The sky & the roads were clear and by 5:30 we were at HighwayKing where we stopped to relieve ourselves and have a hot cup of tea that Sachin had carried in a flask. Called up Harisingh to let him know that we were 4 only for the morning safari. By 7:30 we had entered the forest. There had been no sighting of the Big Cats for the last two days. It wasn't a good news either. All the Tigers had gone up the hill and our roaming extensively proved the same - no pugmarks at all. To say the least, it was pretty cold in the forest. My fingers had gone numb. Since we had anticipated, we were well covered.

Having seen the Tiger, now many a times, I can say that one should go with an open mind in the jungle as there are many other wonderful things to see & observe. But let me be honest, I do get disappointed and this time was no different. The morning safari ended at 10:45 without any signs of the Cat and we didn't hear any calls also.

We saw a few herons, Spotted Deer, a Bulbul, a Shrike & a Kingfisher. Let the pictures speak. All of these taken with Nikon D300 & Nikkor 300 mm f/4.

Pond Heron

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5554a.jpg

Sub-adult Spotted Deer

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5555.jpg

Adult Male Spotted Deer emitting rutting call

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5566.jpg

White-throated Kingfisher

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5584.jpg

Red Vented Bulbul

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5563.jpg

Shrike

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5574.jpg

We returned to the parking area and discussed about having breakfast & lunch. Dhiraj (deky) and his friend Vikas were to join us for the afternoon safari and they were expected around 1:30 am.

Wife

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5588.jpg

Name:  DSCN2839.JPG
Views: 595
Size:  111.8 KB

L to R: Self, Harisingh, Sachin & Sridhar

Name:  DSCN2840.JPG
Views: 592
Size:  110.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2841.JPG
Views: 617
Size:  126.3 KB

Name:  DSCN2842.JPG
Views: 575
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  DSCN2843.JPG
Views: 754
Size:  125.5 KB

We headed towards the Sariska Palace that was across the road to explore the possibilities of having something to eat and spend time. The Sun was bright and warm. Sariska Palace has a funny system for entry if you are not a resident guest. They charge Rs. 500/- per person for entry in the premises and a coupon/receipt for the same is issued that can be adjusted in the restaurant bill. This means that you have to compulsarily use their restaurant.

The other option was to drive all the way to Alwar. This idea was shot down and we settled in Sariska Palace in the lawn. Sachin had brought a dozen of Aloo Paranthas with pickles from home and we devoured them with some hot tea & coffee provided by the Hotel. The Lunch was laid at 12:30 pm and it consisted of Mutton Curry, Chicken Curry, Yellow Daal, Makhni Paneer, Peas vegetable, Paapad ki sabzi, Tawe ki rotiyan, Moong Daal ka Halwa & Vanilla Ice-cream.

Ate to our heart's fill and then reached the Sariska Reception area and waited for Dhiraj & his friend. They arrived by 1:50 pm. Vikas had a connection with the forest authorities and hence he got us permission to stay longer than the stipulated time. This was a bit of good news.

At the entrance to the Park, we received a heart warming information. ST 6 had descended and was supposed to be somewhere on the Tehla road near Goolargoom or Chamari ka Bera or Kabri Gate. The last named area was a new one for me as I had never gone there.

We first went to Karna ka Vaas lake as many migratory birds had come and camping. The water had considerably receded. Spotted a few including the Little Ringed Plover, Bar headed Geese & Painted Storks along with a solitary crocodile basking in the Sun. All of these taken with Nikon D300 & Nikkor 80~200 mm f/2.8.

Black-winged Stilt

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5590.jpg

Now standing on one leg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5598.jpg

Crocodile - basking in the Sun

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5600.jpg

Ruddy Shelduck / Brahminy Duck

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5613.jpg

Little Ringed Plover - purposeful walk

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5614.jpg

Painted Stork - practising one legged standing

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5619.jpg

Lost Balance ?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5621.jpg

Trying again ?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5623.jpg

Bar headed Geese - round table conference ?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5626.jpg

From there reached the Kaalighati Chowki and found that the tracking jeep & M/cycle for ST 6 was ready to leave.

A tourist jeep following the ST 6 tracking jeep

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5636.jpg

We also left behind them and after scanning Goolargoom & Chamari Ka Bera headed towards Kabri Gate.

There inside deep forest the tracking receiver sprang to life and the signal started getting stronger as we drove inside. Our excitement level also kept pace with the signal. We parked and waited. In the eerie silence of the forest a spotted deer called in a distance. This repeated for sometime then died down. After some time we heard a Sambhar call twice & then silence. A predator was on the move.

Then the forest guard who had the receiver, removed the chord from the antenna and pointed towards the forest. From one direction the signal started coming again. The Tiger was about 150 to 200 metres away in the thick outgrowth. In the forest the signal from the collar bounces off the trees & hills and thus the antenna catches it from all directions. While this indicates that the Tiger is in the vicinity, the direction cannot be determined. But if the chord is removed and pointed, it catches only the true signal and that too if the collared animal is within 200 meters.

200 meters away in the thicket

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-5637.jpg

It was now a game of patience. The Tiger was bound to move as dusk was approaching. With every passing minute we were adjusting our camera settings - raise the ISO, open the aperture more. It was 6 pm and nothing happened or emerged. The M/cycle borne trackers left as it was dangerous for them. We followed suit slowly.

So near and yet so far.

Tired & dejected we exited by 7 pm. It was dark and ours was the last tourist vehicle to come out. Bid goodbye to Dhiraj & his friend and headed home taking the NH8. Stopped enroute at Sagar Ratna, Behror for dinner and by 12:30 am reached my home. Sridhar had pre-ordered a cab that he boarded near the Huda City Centre, Metro Station for home and Sachin picked his vehicle from the parking and left.

Thus ended another trip to Sariska.

Many more to come...../-

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th January 2012 at 11:35. Reason: As per your Reported Post
Old 17th January 2012, 19:43   #255
BHPian

Pls see responses inline.

Quote:
15th January, 2012 - 02:50 am

Please identify

Attachment 872803

Now standing on one leg

Attachment 872804

>>>>>>> black necked stilt

Please identify

Attachment 872806

>>>>>>>>>>>ruddy shelduck