Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 23rd March 2012, 15:11   #301
BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
1. Thanks Deky.
2. Yes, I should've listened to you earlier...
3. Yes the tickets have zones allotted now and we do have to stick to them.

Sirji - thoda to humara bhi contribution ack kariye
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:20   #302
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

How very funny? Some people are really hungry for attention. Sachin, suffering from some complex? Tch. tch.

Please read my post Nos: 271 & 274. I have acknowledged your contribution there. Childish behavior...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

Sirji - thoda to humara bhi contribution ack kariye

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd March 2012 at 23:21.
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:33   #303
BHPian

Quote:
How very funny? Some people are really hungry for attention. Sachin, suffering from some complex? Tch. tch.

Please read my post Nos: 271 & 274. I have acknowledged your contribution there. Childish behavior...
oho..... touche by god ki kasam - kisse jhagda hua hai bhai?
Old 23rd March 2012, 23:36   #304
Senior - BHPian

Kisise nahin. Kyon? Kya meri baaton se aisa laga ki mera jhagada hua hai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

oho..... touche by god ki kasam - kisse jhagda hua hai bhai?
Old 27th March 2012, 13:27   #305
Senior - BHPian

25th March, 2012

This Sunday, wife & I visited Sariska again doing the usual run that I normally do. Took the same route as the last time, left at 3 in the morning and were at the Reception of STR (Sariska Tiger Reserve) at 6:30. Harisingh & Rajinder were ready with the permits and we left for the forest immediately.

This time I had removed the TC14E II and kept it in the bag. I would shoot only with the 300mm f/4 and kept the 24~70 f/2.8 in the pocket as a standby. I had observed that with the TC the lens hunted a bit for the focus but without it was spot on and also easier to handle. The camera raincover & the bean-bag are a part of the standard equipment.

Harisingh had informed on Saturday that ST 6 had killed a village buffalo 3 days back and would come down the hills to the plains for drinking water. And ST 3 the Tigress was seen in his area in the plains. That was a good news.

At the entrance gate my forest ranger friend Udaybhan greeted me and said that ST 6 & 3 are reported to be in the Ghaanka area. Armed with this information, we straightaway headed there and just before the Ghaanka Tiraaha, saw the very fresh pug-marks of ST 3. Had we been there a bit more earlier we would've crossed. The foot-prints vanished away into the bushes. We anticipated that ST 3 would circle around and emerge near the waterhole and so to intercept her rushed to trail between the waterhole and the forest area and parked ourselves there. If the Tigress had to go to the waterhole then she surely would've to cross that trail.

An old jungle saying - "It is not you who sees the Tiger, it is the Tiger that sees you". ST 3 had taken a detour and headed towards Taarunda completely by-passing us. This we would come to know later as a jeep coming from that side said ST 3 had moved there but couldn't be spotted by anyone.

We moved towards Ghaanka chowki to gather some news about ST 6 and on the way heard a peacock's alarm call. We were exactly at the place where my friend Sachin had seen a pair of Leopards last Saturday. A few calls later a very precise & confirmatory call of a Langur started. A lone Langus was perched very high on the tree on a thin branch that was a sure indication of a Leopard prescence. The Langur was very very agitated and kept on calling for almost 15 minutes. And then the call ceased, but the Langur didn't come down or let his guard down. After waiting for some more time we reached the chowki. The tracking team of ST 6 was also there and they were readying to go in search of a signal. They said that since last evening they did not find a signal. Bad news.

They also informed that they had seen ST 3 stalking a Leopard and cornered it last night and to escape the Leopard had climbed a tree. ST 3 had stayed put beneath the tree for over two hours and kept on threatening the Leopard. Also another interesting fact that came out was that ST 3, till date, had killed and eaten about 15 Leopards in Sariska.

We went to Taarunda, Bhaironghati, Kali Ghaati in search of the Cats, but to no avail. Weather was getting hot and time was running out. A lot of waterholes had dried up and the few left had less water in it. Another factor that went against a sighting was a lot of work is going on inside the forest. Creating new water bodies and strengthening old water holes. This is causing a disturbance to the forest residents who move to deeper areas.

On our way back saw this wise old-man of the jungle.

Spotted Owl

Sleeping or meditating

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6068.jpg

Surveying the surroundings

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6073.jpg

Back to Zen

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6082.jpg

As we moved further towards the gate saw this Leopard kill - a male Cheetal. Now the leftover was being devoured by crows and a male wild boar.

Leopard kill

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6087.jpg

Thus ended our morning safari. After lunch it would be the evening safari.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 27th March 2012 at 13:30.
Old 27th March 2012, 16:44   #306
Senior - BHPian

An interesting observation. I felt more comfortable shooting without the TC. But still the 300mm is a bit heavy to handle.

We were to start our next safari at 2:30 and had a few hours to spend. Since the Navaratras had started, my wife was fasting and had carried some fruits with her. I was feeling hungry and wanted to eat something. Decided to go to Siliserh. I also wanted to shoot pictures of my new ride in the hilly surroundings of Sariska.

On way to Siliserh, comes a turning to Kushalgarh that leads to Taalvriksh known for Leopards & Hyenas. Well, being nocturnal & shy animals I wasn't hoping to see them during the day. So I took the turn & headed towards Taalvriksh just to do a reccee of the area. This road happens to be a State Highway that goes to Jaipur via Thana Gaazi. There of course was traffic on this road. One side of the road has hills that looks perfect Leopard habitat and the other side is dotted with villages. While the road is single lane, smooth tar road, after Taalvriksh major road repair construction work was going on. Did not find any signs of wildlife, hence stopped a villager and asked. This was his answer - "yahaan baghera nahin hai, pahadi ke us paar milega".

Leopard adventure was over, took a u-turn and headed towards Siliserh. On the way shot a few pictures of car.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6100.jpg

Reached the Lake Palace, Siliserh. Parked the car, purchased two tickets fo Rs.50/- each that happened to be the entry fees which could be used for payment at the canteen. I had some breakfast at the canteen, spent some time enjoying the scenery of the lake and then left for Sariska.

Being a Sunday Sariska experiences heavy rush and lots of tourists were there. Harisingh & Rajinder were ready. There was 30 minutes to spare as I had reached there at 2 pm. Was feeling a bit drowsy, so switched on the car AC, reclined the seat and had a short nap.

Entered the forest and I told Rajinder to take us to Karna ka Waas. While waiting at the entrance gate for entries to be made, spotted this bird.

Magpie Robin

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6108.jpg

At Karna ka Waas, spotted these birds at the ever shrinking water hole.

Black-winged Stilt

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6112.jpg

Grey Heron

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6114.jpg

Egret

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6116.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6124.jpg

White-necked Stork

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6119.jpg

Red-wattled lapwing

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6121.jpg

Left from this place and entered Ghaanka again. As I mentioned elsewhere on another thread, the Forest Department opened the Ghaanka trail right upto Udaynaath which is a much deeper area of the forest and known territory of ST 6. Some jeeps were coming back from Ghaanka waterhole and they said that ST 6 and ST 3 have moved out from this area and gone up over the hills, but till now no signal of both has been received since last two days. Alarming...

Harisingh was not convinced and said that we should go there & wait. I concurred and we went deep towards Udaynaath. Midway we come across a hill that is torn within half and has a particular name that I can't recall now. The parting apart of the hill has created a depression on the top, some kind of a "kund" that contains water. Tigers have been known to rest there. There we found a Tiger tracking team on a motorcycle waiting and pointing their antenna towards the hill. A very faint beep was coming - it was the collar of ST 6 that was transmitting. The signal was weak as the Tiger was in the water. It was 4 pm, we parked our jeep and decided to wait. The tracking team left saying that they would cross-check the signal from a different place and will come back again.

They returned after 40 minutes and said that they did not find any. They planned to scale the hill and check. Quite brave, I must say. They climbed half of the hill talking vey loudly amongst themselves and then came down after sometime. The signal there up was strong, confirming the Tiger's prescence. At 5:15 pm the signal was checked again and this time the faint signal was stronger. This meant that the Tiger had started moving. It was bound to come down and come down right in front of us. Excited we readied for the arrival. The clock was ticking away. The time was 5:45 pm. We had to leave. If only the summer timings of the park was introduced from 1st March then we could have waited till 6:45 pm. But the summer timings are to start from 1st April.

While waiting for ST 6, I clicked this flower of the Flame of the Forest.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-6128.jpg

Thus ended a Sunday in Sariska.

Last edited by gd1418 : 27th March 2012 at 16:49.
Old 27th March 2012, 18:49   #307
BHPian

sirjee - it is confirmed now. TC totally ruins the picture quality - these pictures are great!
I think you should dump the TC - for sure dont use it with this lens.
Old 29th March 2012, 22:39   #308
Senior - BHPian

Trouble is brewing in Sariska.

Name:  Screen Shot 20120329 at 10.35.35 PM.png
Views: 722
Size:  143.1 KB

Courtesy: Villagers around Sariska reserve protest relocation - The Times of India
Old 30th March 2012, 08:55   #309
Senior - BHPian

I agree with Sach - the pictures have come out sharper - better than then TC pics imo.

Any plans to do a trip down South?
Old 30th March 2012, 12:37   #310
Senior - BHPian

I too felt the same way. But I've seen awesome & amazing pictures taken with the TC and a similar combo like that of mine...

2013 is the year that I'm planning a South-India trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

I agree with Sach - the pictures have come out sharper - better than then TC pics imo.

Any plans to do a trip down South?
Old 30th March 2012, 16:05   #311
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree with Sachin, these photos are visibly much better than the previous one.

1. Is that the road condition to Siliserh, used to be a proper road earlier?? Or was it just a detour for a photo op for bull2??

2. There is another article today in e-toi- Jaipur edition on sariska. There is a photo of the villagers sitting on a "dharna" in front of the SNP entry gate. I hope the issue is resolved amicably.

Regards

Dhiraj
Old 30th March 2012, 16:55   #312
BHPian

@Guruji - can the issue be with stability? Maybe any small shake is visible terribly with the TC??

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Totally agree with Sachin, these photos are visibly much better than the previous one.

1. Is that the road condition to Siliserh, used to be a proper road earlier?? Or was it just a detour for a photo op for bull2??

2. There is another article today in e-toi- Jaipur edition on sariska. There is a photo of the villagers sitting on a "dharna" in front of the SNP entry gate. I hope the issue is resolved amicably.

Regards

Dhiraj
what do you think. Guruji with his new toy

A photoop - and i think it is when he turned towards Taalvraksh that he has done this photo op.

A pity about the villager protests - hopefully gets settled very soon and amicably.

Last edited by sach.sri : 30th March 2012 at 16:59.
Old 30th March 2012, 16:56   #313
Senior - BHPian

No that's not the road to Siliserh. A detour to do a hill climbing and take pictures of TB II.

More pictures here - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...io-lx-4x4.html (The Bull II (TB II) - M&M MHawk Scorpio LX 4x4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post

Regards

Dhiraj

Last edited by gd1418 : 30th March 2012 at 17:12.
Old 12th April 2012, 11:24   #314
Senior - BHPian

Some very good news about Sariska:

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-sariskanews1.jpg
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 14:07   #315
BHPian

Quote:
Some very good news about Sariska:
Good news indeed - but i guess it will be sometime before everything comes to a halt as it looks like from the report that they are going to complete the ones that are nearing completion and only then stop.
Closed Thread