Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 26th July 2012, 13:06   #346
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

This is true for the sanctuaries here too. And also the forest department gives 10L per able bodied adult person of the villagers residing inside the forest for relocation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

If a wild animal went into the buffer area and killed any of the cattle, the villagers would be compensated however if their cattle was brought into the core areas somehow and they are killed by the wild animals then no compensation is awarded.
Old 8th August 2012, 12:00   #347
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Post #: 10 dated 31st January, 2011

This was the day & date on which I had my first sighting of Tiger in the wild in Sariska. Actually a Tigress - ST 2 or the erstwhile T 18 of Ranthambhore.

Why am I mentioning this here and now?

Oh Boy, am I excited? Don't know. My whole body is shivering with great happiness and as I type, I've already committed many typo errors.

ST 2 has become a mother. Sariska has new guests and we all welcome this with glee. A camera trap installed by the forest department captured this beautiful moment that we all wildlife lovers have been waiting for so long.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-sariska-cub.jpg

p.s: I must plan a trip soon

SOME MORE GOOD NEWS

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-sariska-relocate.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 8th August 2012 at 12:27.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 12:46   #348
Senior - BHPian

What a heartening news..! Another tiger cub sighted in Sariska. Reported to be ST-2's. That makes the total number of Big Cats to 7. Waiting eagerly for the Park to reopen. SC to deliver judgement on 3rd October.

News items in TOI Gurgaon & Jaipur.

TOI - Gurgaon

Name:  sariska.JPG
Views: 992
Size:  245.5 KB

TOI - Jaipur

Name:  sariska6.JPG
Views: 938
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  sariska7.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  171.8 KB
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2012, 13:17   #349

Gentlemen,
I am a Mumbaiite , 42 yrs but young at heart, reasonably fit who recently (July 2012) moved to Delhi. I live near Dwarka. I would love to visit Sariska if you plan to go. I am an avid nature lover and would love to experience a wildlife trip. Appreciate if you would inform me once the reserve opens. Thanks a million in advance. GTXMDPG
Old 2nd October 2012, 13:05   #350
Senior - BHPian

Welcome onboard my friend, will keep you updated. Kindly pm your contact details.
Old 3rd October 2012, 10:54   #351
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Count me in too guys. I am also eagerly looking forward visit. Even today's HT has this news.
Old 7th October 2012, 16:40   #352
Senior - BHPian

This indeed is a very unique handle.. You could be reasonably fit or extremely fit like Bolt, but still can't outrun the Tiger.

SC is supposed to decide one way or the other on 9th. All of us are keeping our fingers crossed and waiting with baited breath. Whatever visit plans shall be made, will be post judgement. Watch this space...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxmdpg View Post

Gentlemen,
I am a Mumbaiite , 42 yrs but young at heart, reasonably fit who recently (July 2012) moved to Delhi. I live near Dwarka. I would love to visit Sariska if you plan to go. I am an avid nature lover and would love to experience a wildlife trip. Appreciate if you would inform me once the reserve opens. Thanks a million in advance. GTXMDPG
Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Count me in too guys. I am also eagerly looking forward visit. Even today's HT has this news.
Old 9th October 2012, 15:15   #353
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Just saw the news, it now the case deferred to 16 oct 12

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/tiger-tou.../299379-3.html
Old 17th October 2012, 12:59   #354
Senior - BHPian

Aha, what a heartening news -

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/h...w/16843695.cms

Finally my new hardware shall see some action this coming Sunday. Sariska ahoy..!

Name:  D800.png
Views: 783
Size:  95.8 KB
Old 20th October 2012, 12:12   #355
Senior - BHPian

The latest reports from Sariska say that the jungle is quite dense with foliage and sightings shall be difficult. But the adventure lies in that when you stalk the Big Cat and not the other way round. The new mother ST 2 was seen yesterday by forest personnel with her cubs near the enclosure and ST 4 the male was spotted near the Kaalighati area.

The radio collar of ST 6 is broken so no signals but tracking is being done by fresh pug marks.

Sunday should be adventurous & exciting.
Old 22nd October 2012, 12:14   #356
Senior - BHPian

Ocotber 21, 2012

After a gap of 110 days, sitting idle at home and not knowing what to do on weekends, visited the jungles today for the first time. Ashish, Sachin & I went to Sariska. Saw the greenest of Sariska ever. Lush green, dense foliage all around. Fresh clean air filling the lungs. Chances of a sighting was quite dim due to this green cover.

Detailed report shall follow shortly. In the meantime this was the collective firepower amongst us to "shoot" the big game..!

The Artillery

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-cameras1.jpg

L to R: Ashish's Nikon D80 with the 70~300, Mine Nikon D800 with the 80~200 and the Nikon D300 with the 300mm and Sachin's Canon 7D with the 100~400L

to be continued.../-
Old 24th October 2012, 00:42   #357
Senior - BHPian

October 21, 2012

My last visit to the forest was on 25th June, 2012 when I had gone to Ranthambhore. The forests closed for the monsoons on 1st July but some zones remained operational during monsoons like Jhirna in Corbett and Kundaal in Ranthambhore. I had plans to visit these zones that disaster struck in the form of a Supreme Court order banning tourism in 41 Tiger reserves all over India.

This was a major disappointment, but I consoled myself that by October when almost all parks are scheduled to open, something favourable would emerge. But the scene turned out to be grim. It was only on the 16th October that the Supreme Court passed an order paving way for the sanctuaries to open for tourism.

Sariska opened on 17th October and I was eagerly waiting for the coming weekend to visit. Ashish & Sachin also decided to join and off we went to Sariska on Sunday the 21st Ocotber, 2012.

Ashish came over to my place and parked his Corolla and we travelled in Sachin's Scorpio from Gurgaon. Left at 3 in the morning and hit a huge traffic jam after crossing the Manesar toll. By the time the jam cleared we had lost a considerable time. Thanks to some aggressive driving by Sachin, we made it to the Sariska reception by 6 am. My usual guide Harisingh & driver Rajinder were ready for us. The ticket counter opened at 6:30 and after the formalities we headed towards the entrance. Ours was the third jeep to enter the jungle.

While the entry was being made at the entrance gate a big red ball emerged behind the Aravalis. It was a mesmerising scene.

An awesome Sunrise

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0057.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7652.jpg

It was quite cold at that time and I had to borrow a jacket from Sachin to keep warm.

Entering the forest had a surprise in store. This was the greenest & densest Sariska that I had ever seen.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0058.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 24th October 2012 at 00:48.
Old 24th October 2012, 19:43   #358
Senior - BHPian

Gathered information about the movement & location of the Cats and headed towards Ghaanka, the area lorded over by ST 6 & ST 3. The jungle was fresh & silent at 7 am. No pug marks, no fauna around. And it was cold.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0059.jpg

At the Ghaanka tiraaha, a minor disaster struck. We were waiting a bit further away from the tiraaha to listen to sounds & movements that a jeep passed us.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0065.jpg

It stopped and the driver pointed to a rear right flat in our jeep. Well, the wheel had to be changed and we had to get down, while Harisingh & Rajinder got about changing the flat tyre.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0068.jpg

We clicked the landscape in the early morning light and also clicked each other. You seldom get a chance to get down in the middle of the jungle and click pictures.

Ashish & Sachin

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0060.jpg

Why this Kolaveri-D Ashish?

Yours truly

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0062.jpg

After changing the tyre we proceeded further towards Taarunda waterhole and saw a herd of juvenile Neelgais grazing peacefully.

Juvenile Neelgais

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0070.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0072.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0075.jpg

In that thick foliage also spotted a Neelgai fawn that was probably a month and a half old. We waited patiently and it paid off. The fawn bounded towards us, saw us and froze thus giving us a chance to shoot.

Neelgai fawn

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0077.jpg

At a distance spotted this Shrike basking in the Sun.

Shrike

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0083.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by tsk1979 : 25th October 2012 at 14:01. Reason: on request
Old 25th October 2012, 12:21   #359
BHPian

Sir ji,

Awesome to see you back in action. The bird in the pic looks to be a shrike and not a Shikra if i am right
Old 25th October 2012, 13:47   #360
Senior - BHPian

Thus ended our morning safari and we returned. No other jeeps reported any sighting. The biggest dilemma started now. We had 4 hours on our hand before the start of afternoon safari, and spending that much time was a problem.

Though RTDC's Tiger Den would have been a great option, the attitude & hospitality of the staff left much to be desired. I've said this before and saying again, a great place & property totally ruined by the lousy management.

So, we decided to go to Gulmohar Resorts near Viratnagar. We had been there in June as well and had like the place a lot. Went there, had breakfast. Ashish was observing Navratras so he had brought his own special fare to consume. After the breakfast we sprawled ourselves on the sofas in the lobby to take a nap. While Sachin went into a deep slumber, Ashish had a troubled 40 winks. As for me I couldn't have a shut-eye as a group of 42 school students from Delhi were staying in this hotel having come for excursion and were noisily playing TT that was kept very near the sofas.

Woke up by 1 pm, freshened up and left for Sariska by 2. We were supposed to reach there by 2:30. On the way saw this maximum utilisation for rural transport.

Public transport

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0085.jpg

At a distance saw the sheer face of the mighty Aravalis that seemed to dwarf the habitat below.

Mighty Aravalis

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0087.jpg

Nearing Sariska saw this injured Sambhar whose tail too was damaged. What caused this. A predator attack? To me it looked more like a solitary Hyena's attack.

Injured Sambhar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0088.jpg

Entered the jungle and it looked devoid of any action and very silent too.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0080.jpg

In the morning we had zone 1 and this time we were allotted zone 3 which housed the relocation enclosures. ST 2 with her cubs was last seen here.

Circled the Karna ka Waas that was full to the brim and overflowing. The migratory birds had not yet arrived.

Large Pied Wagtail

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0089.jpg

Pond Heron

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0094.jpg

We roamed the area extensively, but to no avail. While the cubs have been captured in the camera trap, till date they have not yet been seen either by the forest department personnel or the tourists.

The dense foliage camauflaged both the prey & the predator. It was time to leave. Came out of the jungle by 6:15 pm and after settling with Harisingh left for home.

Just after Alwar stopped at Hotel Naman for dinner. Sachin had earlier eaten here and highly reccommended this place.

Hotel Naman

Name:  naman.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  313.1 KB

Excellant place and excellant food. Left at 8 after a satisfying dinner and by 10:30 were in Gurgaon. Thus ended our first safari of this season. many more to come. Till then...
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread