Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 25th October 2012, 13:48   #361
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Thank you Arvind and you are right it is a Shrike. My bad. It is a typo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind84 View Post
Sir ji,

Awesome to see you back in action. The bird in the pic looks to be a shrike and not a Shikra if i am right
Old 25th October 2012, 17:09   #362
BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Dear GD,

Loved reading your travelogue/photologue. Great to see your passion for the wildlife and thanks for updating us on Sariska.

After reading your travelogues, I got excited to show it to my 3 years old daughter. I am going there on this Sunday and would stay there for a night at Sariska Palace.

Just need a small help from you. Kindly let me know :-

1. How long would it take from South Delhi to reach Sariska.
2. What time would be a good time to start so that we avoid traffic jam.
3. Should I go for Morning Safari or afternoon safari ?
4. Do we have a choice to select the zone? If yes which one would i recommend ?
5. Could you share the numbers of Hari Singh so that I can do advance booking.
6. Any other precaution that you can advise especially for the kido.

Thanks once again for sharing your passion and amazing pics and driving us to Sariska in the bargain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thank you Arvind and you are right it is a Shrike. My bad. It is a typo...
Old 25th October 2012, 21:06   #363
Senior - BHPian

Thank you so very much. Shall try to answer your questions as best as possible.

IMO, Sariska Palace is highly over-rated and I would not suggest it though it is bang opposite the Sariska entrance gate. You could try the Gulmohar Resorts near Viratnagar that is total VFM. But the final call is yours..

When you say you are going on Sunday and staying for a night, does it mean you would be staying Saturday night and doing the safari on Sunday or staying Sunday night & doing Monday safari?

Depends on the route. If you take the NH8-Daruhera-Bhiwadi-Tijara-Alwar-Sariska route then say about 3.5 hours.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-bhiwadialwardausajaipur.png

Since I stay in Gurgaon and don't stay overnight, I leave around 2:30 in the morning and reach by 6. Do the morning safari, spend the in-between 4 hours somehow and then do the evening safari and return back. Good time to start would depend on what exactly is your plan.

Both, early mornings & late evenings are the ideal time for animal movement. And also depends on your plan.

Normally not as the zone allotment is the forest department's discretion to evenly distribute the jeeps and not cause crowding. Zone 1 otherwise is a good zone.

Carry enough drinking water, warm clothes as it will be pretty cold, dry eatables for the child (but don't litter the jungle and be careful not to feed the child if you see monkeys & langurs) and apply mosquito repellent. Don't use perfume as it attracts wasps & bees. Try to maintain silence & be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_nv View Post
Dear GD,

Loved reading your travelogue/photologue. Great to see your passion for the wildlife and thanks for updating us on Sariska.

After reading your travelogues, I got excited to show it to my 3 years old daughter. I am going there on this Sunday and would stay there for a night at Sariska Palace.

Just need a small help from you. Kindly let me know :-

Thanks once again for sharing your passion and amazing pics and driving us to Sariska in the bargain

Last edited by gd1418 : 25th October 2012 at 21:09.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 15:18   #364
BHPian

Dear GD,

Thanks so much for your help and advise. Really appreciate it.

By the time I read your reply, I had already booked Sariska Palace. Hope we are not disappointed.

Will update about the trip once I am back.

Many thanks once again.

Quote:

IMO, Sariska Palace is highly over-rated and I would not suggest it though it is bang opposite the Sariska entrance gate. You could try the Gulmohar Resorts near Viratnagar that is total VFM. But the final call is yours..

When you say you are going on Sunday and staying for a night, does it mean you would be staying Saturday night and doing the safari on Sunday or staying Sunday night & doing Monday safari?

Depends on the route. If you take the NH8-Daruhera-Bhiwadi-Tijara-Alwar-Sariska route then say about 3.5 hours.

Attachment 1005612

Since I stay in Gurgaon and don't stay overnight, I leave around 2:30 in the morning and reach by 6. Do the morning safari, spend the in-between 4 hours somehow and then do the evening safari and return back. Good time to start would depend on what exactly is your plan.

Both, early mornings & late evenings are the ideal time for animal movement. And also depends on your plan.

Normally not as the zone allotment is the forest department's discretion to evenly distribute the jeeps and not cause crowding. Zone 1 otherwise is a good zone.

Carry enough drinking water, warm clothes as it will be pretty cold, dry eatables for the child (but don't litter the jungle and be careful not to feed the child if you see monkeys & langurs) and apply mosquito repellent. Don't use perfume as it attracts wasps & bees. Try to maintain silence & be patient.
Old 29th October 2012, 11:58   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Dear GD,

Thanks so much for your help and advise. Really appreciate it.

By the time I read your reply, I had already booked Sariska Palace. Hope we are not disappointed.

Will update about the trip once I am back.

Many thanks once again.
Hi,

I think - for travelling, the best option will be to start the previous day in the afternoon, so that you are in Sariska by evening. This will ensure proper rest for the baby and also yourself to be ready for Safari in the morning.

Also, as GD sir has said - carry enough warm clothes for the baby as it will be pretty cold in the morning as well as in the evenings. you should also carry hats/caps for covering the head in the afternoon for protection from the sun.

Rest as GD sir has mentioned - be patient and enjoy the Safari.
Best of luck and update us with your TL once you are back.
Old 30th October 2012, 13:15   #366
Senior - BHPian

This appeared in the TOI, Jaipur edition of today on page 3. Finally a national paper reports the pathetic situation of the RTDC's Tiger Den. Hope now the authorities shall wake-up.

Name:  sariska8.JPG
Views: 1080
Size:  194.4 KB

The link to first article on the top is here -

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML

And the link to the second article below is here -

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Old 30th October 2012, 16:21   #367
BHPian

Dear GD,

Came back yesterday night from Sariska . There is nothing much to write about in a travelogue for this trip but there are two tales that I want to share.

For my three years old daughter it was one of the best outing she has had so far. Long drive, nice place to stay with big gardens to play, going for a jungle safari in the morning in open jeep and being inside the jungle. She was upset for few minutes as she could not see the tiger but with the kind of fun she had, she quickly forgot about it.

For me it was kind of disappointing for not only being lucky enough to see the tiger but also I was shocked to see such a low density of animals in a tiger reserve.

Article posted by you from TOI Jaipur quite sums up the state of affair in Sariska.

You were also right about Sariska Palace being over rated. Pathetic state of affair with such a wonderful property being so badly managed. Staff was good but they could do very little to overcome the bad state of the property. Definitely not worth the price.

Having said that, idea of staying in the property in between the forest and the view of jungle all around helped us in forgetting the negatives . My daughter had a great time playing around in big gardens and running after few squirrels and birds.

Hari Singh was a good recommendation from you . We waited for an hour on the road where the Tiger was spotted few minutes back but it never came back.

Got stuck in Bhiwadi city traffic for a long time while going and while coming back again same ordeal coupled with massive jam from Dharuhera till Delhi border Toll plaza.

I would like to recommend "Prem Pavitra" bhojnalay in Alwar as a must visit. Never had so tasty vegetarian food in my life.
http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...Rajasthan.html

I dont have much pics to share as we cold hardly see any animal besides Antelopes, spotted deer and one or two birds.

Most amazing experience was of watching a sunrise after a very long time. It was definitely breath taking. Hence uploading few pics of what I loved the most.

Now I know the reason why you recommended doing a day trip. I think its the best option if someone can stretch a little bit.

Thanks a lot for all the advise and especially for asking us to take the woolens for early morning safari.

Quote:

Attachment 1005612

Attached Thumbnails
Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0058.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0098.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0163.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0165.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0168.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0170.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0190.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0203.jpg  

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-dsc_0215.jpg  

i_nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 16:27   #368
BHPian

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your advise. Most of it was adhered to . We started at 10 am on Sunday and reached Sariska Palace at 2 PM with no stop overs in between. Reaching a day early did help us getting up early in the morning. However, if one dosent have little kid to take care off, its advisable to do day trip as per the schedule followed by GD Sir.

Thanks once again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
Hi,

I think - for travelling, the best option will be to start the previous day in the afternoon, so that you are in Sariska by evening. This will ensure proper rest for the baby and also yourself to be ready for Safari in the morning.

Also, as GD sir has said - carry enough warm clothes for the baby as it will be pretty cold in the morning as well as in the evenings. you should also carry hats/caps for covering the head in the afternoon for protection from the sun.

Rest as GD sir has mentioned - be patient and enjoy the Safari.
Best of luck and update us with your TL once you are back.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:47   #369
Senior - BHPian

Am glad that your daughter enjoyed the most. Getting used to nature at a young age imbibes them with the desire to save the nature. In that way Sariska Palace is a great place for kids who don't get that vast expanse in the hustle-bustle of a city cramped for space.

Quote:

For my three years old daughter it was one of the best outing she has had so far. Long drive, nice place to stay with big gardens to play, going for a jungle safari in the morning in open jeep and being inside the jungle. She was upset for few minutes as she could not see the tiger but with the kind of fun she had, she quickly forgot about it.
I wandered in 7 sanctuaries over a period of 6 years without a sighting. My first sighting of the Big Cat was in Jan'11 in Sariska of all the places. There is an old jungle saying - "It is not you who can see the Tiger when you wish. It is only when the Tiger wishes to show itself that you can see one".

One must not go into a jungle with a singular desire to see the Tiger. One must enjoy the jungle in totality. Try to listen to various sounds and identify. Try smelling the fresh air and catch some unusual smells. Try to blend with the jungle. It is great fun.

The density of animals is not low at all. Sariska after monsoon has a very dense foliage and a even a full grown Sambhar is barely visible.

If you see my Ranthambhore travelogue where a Tiger killed a forester on 23rd, because of the dense foliage, the seasoned forester could not see or sense the Tiger that was sitting 10 yards away from him.

Quote:

For me it was kind of disappointing for not only being lucky enough to see the tiger but also I was shocked to see such a low density of animals in a tiger reserve.
Patience is the key word...

Quote:

Hari Singh was a good recommendation from you . We waited for an hour on the road where the Tiger was spotted few minutes back but it never came back.
It must be due to daytime traffic. Since I leave early morning, the only traffic I encounter is after the Manesar toll. Once I hit the mega highway at dharuhera it is a breeze.

Quote:

Got stuck in Bhiwadi city traffic for a long time while going and while coming back again same ordeal coupled with massive jam from Dharuhera till Delhi border Toll plaza.
Will try next time..

Quote:

I would like to recommend "Prem Pavitra" bhojnalay in Alwar as a must visit. Never had so tasty vegetarian food in my life.
http://www.tripadvisor.in/Restaurant...Rajasthan.html
The last picture of the Red vented Bulbul has come out real nice. What camera equipment were you using?

Quote:

I dont have much pics to share as we cold hardly see any animal besides Antelopes, spotted deer and one or two birds.
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:05   #370
Senior - BHPian

Heard yesterday from Harisingh that ST 3 had come down from the hills and loitering around Kaala Kuan area. Also was sighted by him on Thursday.

Elusive female Tigress..! I've yet to see her. :(

No pugmarks of the ST 2's cubs have been seen till yesterday. Only the mother's.

Going tomorrow with Prajesh & his friend. Wish me luck..
Old 6th November 2012, 00:47   #371
Senior - BHPian

Sunday - November 4, 2012

The call of the jungle is very overpowering. And if you have seen the King of the Jungle in full glory then the urge to keep on going back to have a sighting never diminishes.

The fact that one of the resident Tigress ST 2 of Sariska had given birth to two cubs and they had not yet been seen by any till date, be it the forest staff or the villagers staying inside the forest or any lucky tourist, compelled me to visit Sariska again within a fortnight in the hope of a sighting.

Prajesh (kp_zen) had already told me in advance that he would be accompanying me this time along with his friend Varun Sharma (a jolly good fellow). He was also itching to test his new acquisition - a Nikon D700.

On my last visit we had experienced heavy truck traffic leading to a jam on NH8 after the Manesar toll. Keeping that in view I told Prajesh that we should leave by 2:30 am. BTW, we were to go in his diesel Getz fitted with a Pete's and he was to pick me up.

Prajesh wanted to leave by about 3:15 am from Faridabad. Somehow he agreed to my cajoling and reached my place along with Varun at 3:10 and after I loaded my stuff we were on our way with Prajesh at the wheels. Fortunately there was no traffic jam but till Shahjahanpur the truck traffic was heavy.

Harisingh was already informed about our arrival and he had asked us to be at reception by 6:30. By 5:30 we were 8 kms away from Sariska, so we took a tea-break and also loosened our limbs. Reached the reception at the designated time.

As the formalities were being completed, indulged in some photo shoot.

Prajesh's Hyundai Getz (diesel) with Pete's - 118K on the odo

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7657.jpg

Parked

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7659.jpg

Posing

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7660.jpg

After getting our tickets etc., we entered the jungle at about 7:10. The air was cool & fresh and a mist was hanging on the tree tops.

At a waterhole near Brahmnath saw this Neelgai mother feeding her two fawns who appeared of the same age & size. Had she delivered twins? There was no way to know, but this is very very rare.

Neelgai Twins??

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7663.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0119.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0120.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 6th November 2012 at 00:52.
Old 6th November 2012, 13:33   #372
Senior - BHPian

As usual the forest was silent and we were slowly moving along that we heard a Cheetal call. The adrenalin started flowing and excited we all readied our camera and waited for action. The call went on for some time and then died. It could have been a Leopard or the Tiger. ST 3 was last seen in that area so probably it could have been there.

Slowly exploring, waiting for some time at a place for some action to happen we reached the Kaalighati chowki. Here all the jeeps stop, for the tourists to loosen up and relieve themselves.

We also got down and started looking for photo opportunity. Beautiful butterflies were flitting around and we busied ourselves. Neither I am an entomologist or an ornithologist; so bad at identifying both. Will need help though. Which butterfly is this?

Colorful Butterfly

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0145.jpg

Perfect Take-off

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0146.jpg

Ladybird or the Ladybug Beetle

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0150.jpg

Jeep with tourist going to the exit gate

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0140.jpg

Female Neelgai - no toilet manners..!

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0155.jpg

Prajesh (on the left) & Varun posing

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7666.jpg

Thus ended our afternoon safari where though we heard quite a few calls from close quarters, a sighting eluded us. Maybe the noon safari would have better luck.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 6th November 2012 at 13:34.
Old 6th November 2012, 17:21   #373
Senior - BHPian

Time of exit was 10:30 am and we were contemplating return that suddenly heard a loud Cheetal call on the Tehla road. I immediately called Harisingh who was inside the Kaalighati Chowki with Rajinder. Harisingh came running out as Rajinder was preparing tea.

I asked him about this call. He took the wheels and rushed towards the call. 4 more jeeps had converged there. The calls were going on at regular intervals. The place was just 200 mtrs from the chowki and there was a waterhole. Harisingh strategically parked the jeep so that the entire waterhole was visible through a opening in the thicket.

And then there were loud calls from Langur. The Cheetal & the Langur called in unison. Although no Tiger movement was reported from that area but it was ST 2's area. Was it out on a hunt? Very unlikely. In all probability it was a Leopard that made the Langurs go berserk. And then the jungle fell silent. We waited for some more time but in vain. Came back to the chowki where Rajinder had made tea for us. Very very sweet.

After tea left for the exit gate as it was 10:20.

On the way saw this female Neelgai and juvenile Cheetals.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0191.jpg

Juvenile Cheetals

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-0194.jpg

As usual went to Gulmohar Resorts near Viratnagar to eat & freshen up. Had a sumptuous brunch, spent time talking and then left for Sariska around 1:30 pm. Reached there by 2:17. While Harisingh was getting the entry permits etc., saw this Chameleon on the tree trunk near the car parking warming up. The fellow was totally merged with the surroundings.

Chameleon

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7682.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 6th November 2012 at 17:29.
Old 6th November 2012, 20:51   #374
Senior - BHPian

We entered the forest by about 3 pm and turned towards the Taarunda area as that was a favourite spot of ST 6. Instead found this strapping male Neelgai strolling leisurely. A Red-wattled Lapwing was standing guard to her nest. Lapwing lays eggs on the ground and conceals it wonderfully and guards them fiercely.

Neelgai ( Blue Bull )

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7686.jpg

Moved further and reached the Kaalighati chowki again to gather any information about the Big Cats. Drawing a blank, headed towards Tehla. And a Cheetal called in a distance. It seemed to come from an area called Goolarghum. Raced towards it and saw another jeep parked. We too parked and waited. The calls continued for sometime and then silence again. The other jeep left but we stayed put.

It could have been a Leopard. While waiting this solitary yellowed leaf caught my eye.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7687.jpg

Right in front was a hill where Leopards have been seen basking in Sun and seen by passengers on the State Bus that cuts through the forest thrice a day.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7692.jpg

It was nearing closing time and it would take about 35 minutes to the exit gate. So we left. On the way saw this spotted Owl in meditation.

Spotted Owl

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7693.jpg

Young Cheetals

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-7696.jpg

Thus ended our this trip to Sariska. On the way back it was Varun at the wheels and by 9:30pm we were in Gurgaon.

Till next time..
Old 7th November 2012, 17:22   #375
BHPian

Quote:
...Beautiful butterflies were flitting around and we busied ourselves.

Colorful Butterfly

Perfect Take-off
Those are terrific photos BCG! A lot of people own top end cameras, but not many can put them to good use as you have done!

Regards
Damu
Damu is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread