Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 1st February 2011, 22:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

The Sariska Tiger Reserve spread over an area of 881 Sq. Kms, is double in size to its more famous cousin - Ranthambhore. While the former has currently only 4 Tigers, the latter is known to have 32 Tigers with 9 cubs added this year.

The central core area of Sariska is divided in 4 parts - Kaali Ghaati, Darunda, Brahmanath & Nayapani. Out of these four, Brahmanath has a greater concentration of prey and the chances of a sighting is pretty good in this area.

The Kaali Ghaati waterhole which is near Brahmanath, presented a serene & calm view of the jungle. Not a leaf stirred, nary a sound; least of all any call. It was peaceful. Why do I say this?

In the Indian Jungles, Langurs are the biggest enemies of Tiger & Leopard. With their high perch on the trees, they can and do spot any predator movement below and their typical "khok" call alerts everyone in the jungle. That's the reason why only one in every 10 hunts is successful. Rest go waste.

So when the Langurs come down on the ground, peacefully drink water & play around, it means there is no danger in the vicinity. The pictures shall convey more succinctly.

Langurs drinking water

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3596.jpg

Boar family

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3600.jpg

Female Boar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3600b.jpg

Male Cheetal Deer

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3601a.jpg

Yes, we know you are very handsome

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3603.jpg

Beak to Beak

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3604.jpg

From here we drove to the Brahmanath waterhole, that had shrunk in size, and waited. After about 20 minutes this little fellow came out, stopped and looked at us and scampered away. Nothing stirred

Mongoose

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3608.jpg

We moved out from here and were going towards Nayapani after crossing Kaali Ghaati that I heard - PONK. I asked Jagdish to stop the Gypsy immediately and cocked my ears. A louder PONK again. It came from the Brahmanath direction. We reversed and rushed there...

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 1st February 2011 at 22:45.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:33   #32
BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Beautiful Pictures and composition Sir! Regarding the ruinous effect of numerous pilgrims inside the core area in addition to the SH and a Railway line in the core area, we have always as a people considered the spiritual to predominance over the material form and if as a people we continue along this path the only form humanity will be left in is the spiritual. If this taken along with the present moral climate our spiritual residence will definitely be in a 'WARM' place, could this be the true meaning of Global Warming ?

Manmohan.
Old 1st February 2011, 22:40   #33
BHPian

Lovely pictures and compositions Sir. Its a shame that the rush of pilgrims and the presence of a SH and a Railway line in the core area is having a ruinous effect on the environment. As a people we have always given predominance to the spiritual over the material, as we continue along this way and continue to treat our forests and rivers with contempt humanity may finally be left on this planet only in the spiritual form. From the present state of our morality it is but certain that humanities spiritual residence will be in a rather hot place, that would give a new meaning to global warming altogether.

Manmohan.
Old 2nd February 2011, 18:24   #34
Senior - BHPian

Jagdish maneouvered the Gypsy through the thicket, asked me to sit down lest I make contact with a branch and pass out and reached the trail crossing the tar road leading towards Brahmanath. While passing through the Kaalighati waterhole, that was a scene of calm & serenity a few minutes before, was now deserted. Not a soul and not a leaf stirred.

That reminded me of what my late father used to say - "jungle ke ek kone mein sher chalta hai to doosre kone mein shaanti hoti hai". How true.

As we neared the Brahmanath waterhole it was as if an orchestra performing live - PONK, PONK - KHOK, KHOK, KHOK - Foghorn of peahen. Againg a repeat - Foghorn of peahen - PONK, PONK - KHOK, KHOK, KHOK, KHOK, KHOK.

The predator was on the move. Was it ST-2 or the ST-4 or both? We reached the waterhole and already another Gypsy was parked there and its driver pointed to a thicket and showed his two fingers. It meant there were 2. I asked that driver in a sign language - which ones? He showed first 2 fingers and then 4 fingers. It meant that ST-2 & 4 were there.

We decided to wait as they were bound to come & quench their thirst. And after some time ST-2 strode towards the water. Let the pictures do the talking.

ST - 2

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3610a.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3612.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3611.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3613b.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3614a.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3615.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3616.jpg

The crouch, The Alertness & The rippling muscles

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3620.jpg

It was a continuos KHOK, PONK, KHOK, PONK. The peahen had gone silent. I could hear the "Plup, Plup" of the tiger drinking water. Was just 10 - 12 feet up on the ledge. The Nikon D300 with its 5 fps was firing away. In that silence of the jungle, the shutter sound was like an AK-47 gone berserk. Can they make a silent camera? In between I shot a few pictures in B&W also.

The drinking of water went on for 15 minutes. In between she turned to look at her boyfriend who was resting under a tree. I could see his tail twitching.

And then she got up and left and went into a thicket.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3643.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3648.jpg

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 2nd February 2011 at 18:40.
Old 2nd February 2011, 20:04   #35
Senior - BHPian

ST-2 went into the bushes, sat down and waited for her beau. We heard a few KHOKs of the Langur from that area where ST-2 had gone and then the calls died down indicating that the Tigress had sat down.

Boys will be boys. Lazy and generally unwilling. ST-4, sitting under a tree showed no signs of following his mate. We waited silently and about 10 minutes passed when we heard the roar of ST-2. She was calling her mate. She roared 5-6 times with the last one being a long drawn one as if saying - "get up you rascal, drink water if you have to and come to me pronto".

The PONK of the Sambhar had gone silent in the meanwhile and then again there was a loud PONK. And again a PONK. It meant that ST-4 had gotten up and would appear on the same path soon. Readied my self, prefocussed at a spot below near the waterhole and waited. Let the pictures speak.

ST - 4 - here he comes

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3650.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3651.jpg

What a magnificient specimen

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3652.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3653.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3654.jpg

Look at the scratch on his face - either a fight or given by the girlfriend

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3655.jpg

Nervous Kitten?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3656.jpg

No water?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3658.jpg

Must get up and go to another spot

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3659.jpg

Sat exactly at the same spot as ST - 2

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3678.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3680.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3687.jpg

While this drinking session was going on, we heard the sound of a Gypsy approaching. ST - 4 cocked his ears, looked around and with leap bounded into the thicket where ST-2 was lying. I actually was inclined to get down and clobber the intruder.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-3689.jpg

There was another mild roar and which one was this we couldn't make out and the jungle fell silent. Not even a twitter of a bird. We waited for a few more minutes and when nothing emerged headed towards Darunda as we had heard that ST-3 was seen roaming two days ago.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 2nd February 2011 at 20:13.
Old 2nd February 2011, 22:35   #36
BHPian

Dear GD and Mods, sorry for the two back to back posts, i was just trying to edit the first and appear to have goofed.
your log remains great and most interesting.
regards,

Manmohan.
Old 3rd February 2011, 06:45   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Sirji, Your epic pictures have evoked the wanderlust within us. Must.go.there this weekend!
Old 3rd February 2011, 10:53   #38
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Hitanshu. Do make a trip, am sure you won't be disappointed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Sirji, Your epic pictures have evoked the wanderlust within us. Must.go.there this weekend!
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:26   #39
BHPian

Your caption " Look at the scratch on his face - either a fight or given by the girlfriend" made me smile .. Nice pics of the Tiger.
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:41   #40
Senior - BHPian

Lol...Thank you for liking the pictures..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohsinRoadster View Post
Your caption " Look at the scratch on his face - either a fight or given by the girlfriend" made me smile .. Nice pics of the Tiger.
Old 3rd February 2011, 12:48   #41
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

As earlier, enjoyed the snaps.

I see that B2 and 4 are wearing Radio Collars. They must be pretty uncomfortable and unnatural to a tiger. Don't they try to get out of these?

========

Last edited by ramkya1 : 3rd February 2011 at 12:56.
Old 3rd February 2011, 13:00   #42
Senior - BHPian

Saar, why confuse with the Bandhavgarh Tigers? B2 is the biggest male there.

Here in Sariska they are ST-2 & 4. I think is it is uncomfortable & unnatural ot them, but they showed no visible discomfort. When Sariska was wiped out of its Tiger population by the poachers led by that notorious smuggler Sansar Chand, the prey population over sometime increased manifold. The lack of food in side the forest led them to raid the villages and their farmlands & produce. Also the Environment Ministry & the State Government under Vasundhara Raje woke up to this situation.

After a visit by the PM to Sariska, a decision was taken to relocate Tigers from R'bhore.

To cut the long story short, Out of the 5 Tigers introduced over a period of time, 2 (ST-1 & ST-4) were males and 3 (ST-2, ST-3 & ST-5) females.

The biggest male of the two ST-1 one fine day killed a buffalo of the villagers. Enraged by this the villagers poisoned the carcass that in turn resulted in the death of ST-1. This caused a major furore amongst all concerned, the culprits arrested and a direction was laid down to radio collar all the remaining cats. It was also decided to dedicate two gypsies with signal tracker exclusively for these 4 cats and these vehicles track the postion & location of these cats every hour throughout the day and report back to the base office.

So, although un-natural & uncomfortable, maybe this would help in protecting & saving our heritage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
As earlier, enjoyed the snaps.

I see that B2 and 4 are waring a Radio Collars. They must be pretty uncomfortable and unnatural to a tiger. Don't they try to get out of these?

========
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:09   #43
Senior - BHPian

Arrow re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Ha..... yes, sorry... ST-2 and 4 it is

Due to poaching Panna is empty of tigers, it's good that they are Sariska is being repopulated. So there are only 4 tigers there now or are there more? Just getting background information for a detour to Sariska next time I drive to Delhi.

I guess it's better to wear the collar than be poached.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Saar, why confuse with the Bandhavgarh Tigers? B2 is the biggest male there.

Here in Sariska they are ST-2 & 4. I think is it is uncomfortable & unnatural ot them, but they showed no visible discomfort. When Sariska was wiped out of its Tiger population by the poachers led by that notorious smuggler Sansar Chand, the prey population over sometime increased manifold. .............After a visit by the PM to Sariska, a decision was taken to relocate Tigers from R'bhore.

To cut the long story short, Out of the 5 Tigers introduced over a period of time, 2 (ST-1 & ST-4) were males and 3 (ST-2, ST-3 & ST-5) females.

So, although un-natural & uncomfortable, maybe this would help in protecting & saving our heritage...
Old 3rd February 2011, 14:38   #44
Senior - BHPian

Finally made it to this thread, awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
This caused a major furore amongst all concerned, the culprits arrested and a direction was laid down to radio collar all the remaining cats. It was also decided to dedicate two gypsies with signal tracker exclusively for these 4 cats and these vehicles track the postion & location of these cats every hour throughout the day and report back to the base office.
So what I was pulling your leg about is a fact - the collars! Doesn't that make sightings easier - or don't the gypsies give away the secret to the tourists?

You did day trips both times, is it?
Old 3rd February 2011, 15:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Finally it's here Conragtes for the awesome captured moments !!!
Closed Thread