Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 9th May 2013, 21:13   #466
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Thank you Harjeev. I was unlucky but I guess the Tigress sighted me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by harjeev View Post

Lovely pictures as always. Unlucky that you couldn't spot the tigress again.
Sir, for us South Indians too the marriage takes place in the morning only.

Quote:

'Hum loogon ki din mein hoti hai'. (For us(sikh's) marriages take place in the daytime. That's how the confusion arose.
The traffic was a bit heavy till I crossed Tauru and then it was smooth. I was dreading a jam in the ghat section but fortunately it wasn't so. I took the right turn from Bhiwadi at 1 pm and by 2:30 was home.

Quote:

PS. sir how was the traffic from Bhiwadi- Tauru- Sohna in the daytime? Approx how much time did this stretch take?
Thank you Baddychat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post

Great post as usual gd sir

Quite a few nice shots of the white eyed buzzard and a great one of the Oriental magpie robin.
These forest trackers are trained in this and they try to remain as close as possible near the trees. They are expert climbers and at a whiff of a hint of some danger, scamper up the tree.

I've personally been a witness to this some years ago in Sariska. I was tracking ST 4 (male) and it was quite late in the evening (I had to pay a fine of Rs.500/- for overstaying). The Tiger cut across the trail and headed towards a water-hole. I raced across, cut the Tiger and reached the water body before it. A forest tracker (am forgetting his name) was standing on the ground looking for ST 4. I told him that I saw ST 4 heading towards this place. Suddenly ST 4 emerged from the side without any sound or signal and he was about 15 feet away from that tracker. We both saw the Tiger simultaneously. I was in the jeep and this tracker in a flash went up the tree next to my jeep. The Tiger drank water, looked around and went its way. The tracker came back to the gate with us in the jeep. I asked if he was scared or whatever. He told me that the fear is always there but the fact that the Tiger doesn't normally attack humans plus the ability to climb the trees is a saviour.

P.S. I remember the name of the tracker - Basheer. Read post #: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddychat View Post

I also noticed that the forest trackers get off their back. Dont you think that there could be safety concerns as a result of doing that.

Last edited by gd1418 : 9th May 2013 at 21:37.
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 21:46   #467
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

The Man-Animal conflict continues unabated and slowly the Man seems to be winning the battle. Roads, train lines etc., cutting across forests & Reserve Parks are the cause of injury & deaths to many animals other than natural calamities & poaching.

The authorities are reluctant and many a times claim lack of resources to combat this. On the other hand we humans have lost any compassion for fellow beings on this Earth. Lack of knowledge & civic sense adds to all that.

Why am I ranting & raving? This is the reason:

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-samachar.jpg

** photo courtesy Shri Dhirendra Godha

Couldn't the driver of this unknown & unidentified vehicle drive slowly & keep a watch on any animal crossing??

I feel so helpless & furious. This beautiful female Leopard was in her prime and a fine specimen.

Last edited by gd1418 : 12th June 2013 at 21:47.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:09   #468
Senior - BHPian

But I thought heavy vehicles were not allowed on the road cutting through the Sariska core area.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:36   #469
Senior - BHPian

Very true. But have to exactly find out where did this happen. To me it seems a buffer area. Animals don't recognise zones. She must've have come on the periphery to lift goats or dogs and in the process got hit. You don't need heavy vehicles, even a bolero or a Maxx or any MUV/SUV can do this damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

But I thought heavy vehicles were not allowed on the road cutting through the Sariska core area.
Old 25th June 2013, 19:34   #470
Senior - BHPian

Recently spotted a picture of ST 6, on facebook posted by Vijayarajan Muthu. The guy has a boil or some growth under his nose and seems to be in discomfort. According to Vijay, the authorities are planning to get him checked by a vet soon.

For the un-initiated, it is a tedious process as the Cat has to be tranquilised first before it can be examined. It is a long-drawn process.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-st6.jpg

Last edited by gd1418 : 25th June 2013 at 19:38.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:39   #471
BHPian

Are the forest guards allowed to walk inside the jungle? Is it safe for them to do so? On page 31, in one of the pictures, it seems that the forest guard has no protection or whatsoever. If the Tiger was to jump out of nowhere on him, he would be on the Tiger's plate as its meal. What is all this? Why do they stray out walking into the forest?
Old 26th June 2013, 11:55   #472
Senior - BHPian

Let me apprise you with some ground reality. The forest guards are a part of the nature and know the sights & sounds of the jungle inside out. They can tell just by looking at a pug-mark whether it is a male or female and how long ago did it pass from that area.

Having said that, if you have to track the animal you have to do it on foot only. By nature a Tiger will not attack humans unless it is a man-eater. These forest guards are also adept tree climbers. At the first sign of danger they would scamper up the nearest tree.

I have been a witness to what Basheer (a forest guard) did when suddenly he spotted the Tiger just about 15 odd feet away. Faster than a monkey he was up on the tree. I was watching all this from my jeep.

Negligible instances of attack on forest guards have been reported from the sanctuaries.

Rest assured they know what they are doing and are good at their job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

Are the forest guards allowed to walk inside the jungle? Is it safe for them to do so? On page 31, in one of the pictures, it seems that the forest guard has no protection or whatsoever. If the Tiger was to jump out of nowhere on him, he would be on the Tiger's plate as its meal. What is all this? Why do they stray out walking into the forest?
Old 26th June 2013, 12:36   #473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Let me apprise you with some ground reality. The forest guards are a part of the nature and know the sights & sounds of the jungle inside out. They can tell just by looking at a pug-mark whether it is a male or female and how long ago did it pass from that area.

Having said that, if you have to track the animal you have to do it on foot only. By nature a Tiger will not attack humans unless it is a man-eater. These forest guards are also adept tree climbers. At the first sign of danger they would scamper up the nearest tree.

I have been a witness to what Basheer (a forest guard) did when suddenly he spotted the Tiger just about 15 odd feet away. Faster than a monkey he was up on the tree. I was watching all this from my jeep.

Negligible instances of attack on forest guards have been reported from the sanctuaries.

Rest assured they know what they are doing and are good at their job.
From the eyes of a Tiger, one is either a threat or a prey. If the encounters between the Tiger and man occurs often, then there is a likely chance of the Tiger attacking the man. It still sounds to me that the Tiger is not in its natural habitat where there is no Gypsy following its trail, forest guard or other sort of hindrances from the villages nearby.
Old 26th June 2013, 13:43   #474
Senior - BHPian

I would seriously beg to differ. It is only because of the tourism that poaching has come down. Injured Tigers/animals, etc., are in most cases been first reported by tourists only. Forest authorities can not monitor all the time. Radio collars generally are not encouraged as it affects breeding.

T 17's abscence in RTR was brought to the notice of forest officials only by a photographer who did not spot it for about 7 odd days. Her cubs were distraught & hungry.

If you want to understand natural habitat, then visit a zoo and you shall get to know the difference.

Coming to the villagers, earlier the villages were located deep inside the jungles and there was a healthy relationship between the animals & the inhabitants. The villagers were in sync with the nature. To give an example the Masai tribe in Africa, the Maldharis of Gir & the Gonds of Madhya Pradesh live in perfect harmony.

The conflict happens only when one encroaches on another's territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post

It still sounds to me that the Tiger is not in its natural habitat where there is no Gypsy following its trail, forest guard or other sort of hindrances from the villages nearby.

Last edited by gd1418 : 26th June 2013 at 13:47.
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 11:33   #475
Senior - BHPian

Excitement building up, sabbatical to get over shortly. Only eight days to go.

The National Parks are going to open up from October. New mothers with new arrivals, power shift, new kings & queens. Oh boy, can't wait.
Old 23rd September 2013, 13:16   #476
Senior - BHPian

I will come along with you, let me know when you are planning a trip.
Old 27th September 2013, 13:43   #477
Senior - BHPian

Sariska is perking up. Some interesting updates:

ST6 seems to have been cured of his nose growth and has now increased his territory till the enclosures, thus pushing the other male ST4 further back.

ST2 seen with one cub. The other separated and not seen for sometime.

ST4 charts new territory near Kushalgarh that is ST9's area.

ST10 moves further towards Alwar division from Natni ka Bera.

ST3 has reduced its territory and is seldom seen; rumoured to be pregnant.

Further, a new addition is likely to happen to the Sariska population. Tigress T 8's male cub that migrated to Boondi from R'bhore is to be relocated to Sariska.

Name:  boondi.jpg
Views: 592
Size:  267.8 KB

Oh boy, this is so exciting...
Old 28th September 2013, 11:37   #478
Senior - BHPian

Not even 12 hours have passed than my previous post that I get this worrisome information from Dhirendra Godha, an avid Tiger Conservator and member of Rajasthan State Wildlife Board.

Two hunters from Bhopal, MP have been caught in Sariska with weapons & a big net. I am sure that they did not travel 650 kms to shoot some quail or deer...

I congratulate those alert & hard-working forest guards who found & caught them.

There is something more than it meets the eye. The forest authorities were evasive first in admitting this and later tried to brush it off saying they might be shooting ducks.

Sir, the ducks are not found in Sariska now; maybe a month or two later when migration starts. And the area from where these hunters/poachers were caught, does not have a wetland for ducks or other birds to survive.

Name:  poachers.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  95.5 KB
Old 30th September 2013, 11:47   #479
Senior - BHPian

Shahid Bhai, will inform as & when the plans are made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

I will come along with you, let me know when you are planning a trip.
Old 9th October 2013, 21:24   #480
Senior - BHPian

Sariska & other parks opened for the tourists, after a hiatus of three months, on the 1st of October, 2013.

News in Samachar Jagat (courtesy Dhirendra Godha)

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-samacharjagat.jpg

My sabbatical too ended; hadn't touched the camera. Fingers were itching and I just couldn't wait to visit my favourite place.

The first Sunday fell on the 6th and I immediately called up Harisingh and booked myself. It was only the second day of the week and the wait till Sunday was painful & un-bearable. Many a times I told to self - control, control...

Saturday morning I broke the news to family and wife groaned - "Oh no. I had thought that the trips had stopped. Not again". Well, I was in any case expecting this reaction so turned deaf..

Readied my camera gear, topped up The Bull II, skipped dinner and was ready to go. Got up at 2 am, showered, loaded my stuff in the car and rolled at 3:10.

The route was as usual:

Gurgaon - NH8 - Kapriwas by-pass (a km before Dharuhera) - Bhiwadi - Tijara - Alwar by-pass - Sariska.

The entry to the park was from 6:30 and Harisingh told me to be there by 6, but I reached at 5:45. Harisingh took me to his room and I had tea with him & his room-mates.

As soon as the ticket counter opened, Harisingh took the ticket and since Rajinder, my regular driver, was not available Chhote Lal was engaged. Chhote is a very bold driver and quite experienced. Have known him before also.

Entered the park around 6:50. With very good rains this season and with sporadic showers still continuing, it was one of the greenest Sariska that I had ever seen. All around it was lush green with thick foliage. A perfect hiding place for the predator.

Green Forest

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1684.jpg

The track amidst the greens

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1687.jpg

The Queen's way

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1686.jpg

ST3 (Tigress) was somewhere around

The King's way

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1932.jpg

ST6, the dominant male roams this stretch called the Governor Road.

The big lake of Sariska, Karna ka Baas was overflowing. Small water bodies were visible everywhere.

At the entrance gate we got the information that ST6 was seen moving towards Kaalighati the previous evening and hence we decided to go straight there.

But this news puzzled me since this was not his area till June. Did the territorial equations change in these three months?

On quizzing Chhote Lal, some interesting facts came out. The tumour like growth on the nose of ST6 got cured on its own and he increased his territory & dominance in the forest. Now ST6 covers area till the enclosures and then further down till Goolarghum besides Baghani & the Sariska Palace. This meant that he pushed back the other male ST4 and encroached upon some of his area and also now had three females in his expanded territory - ST3, ST2 & ST9.

ST3 had reduced her area, was looking very healthy and had heavy pug-marks for a female. This has led to a speculation that she might be expecting. She had mated with ST6 in end June and this probably fits in.

Already nine Tigers in Sariska and if ST3 delivers then the tribe will increase. Sariska is slowly returning back to its old days.

In bloom - Honeybees collecting nectar

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1688.jpg

As I roamed the interiors I saw this amazing sight backlit by the rising Sun

Web of Death

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1682.jpg

The shining bright points are dew droplets lit by the rays of the Sun.

The quest continued and after about 90 minutes stopped at the Kaalighati check-post to freshen up.

to be continued.../-
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread