Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Closed Thread

Old 27th June 2014, 08:55   #541
BHPian

Default Re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

GD

Came across your Ranthambore travelogue while searching for wild life travelogues as I'm planning a trip shortly , stumbled across your Sariska travelogue immediately as I searched for other logs of yours , exactly 8 consecutive hours and 36 pages later only two words come to my mind - fantastic and mind boggling , hats off to you mate , your logs are an absolute encyclopaedia for any wild life lover who wants to visit Sariska , not only are they highly informative but also carry a realistic perspective as to what to expect in the jungles , your logs capture the entire flora and fauna of the forest and are not just tiger centric which is very refreshing and your approach to your trips and the way you capture them in words is highly appreciated , thank you for sharing your pics and the intricate details , hope to bump into you 1 day , I have become a follower of your logs so please keep them coming.

Regards
Vickzkool
Old 27th June 2014, 11:59   #542
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2

Thank you so very much for liking and appreciating the travelogue. Your kind & flattering words are encouragement to me.

The parks here close during monsoons from 1st July and reopen in October. My last trip of this season shall be on the 29th. And I need to really try hard & struggle to keep the 'jungleitchititis' under control for three months..

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickzkool View Post

GD

Came across your Ranthambore travelogue while searching for wild life travelogues as I'm planning a trip shortly , stumbled across your Sariska travelogue immediately as I searched for other logs of yours , exactly 8 consecutive hours and 36 pages later only two words come to my mind - fantastic and mind boggling , hats off to you mate , your logs are an absolute encyclopaedia for any wild life lover who wants to visit Sariska , not only are they highly informative but also carry a realistic perspective as to what to expect in the jungles , your logs capture the entire flora and fauna of the forest and are not just tiger centric which is very refreshing and your approach to your trips and the way you capture them in words is highly appreciated , thank you for sharing your pics and the intricate details , hope to bump into you 1 day , I have become a follower of your logs so please keep them coming.

Regards
Vickzkool
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 23:33   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Thank you so very much for liking and appreciating the travelogue. Your kind & flattering words are encouragement to me.

The parks here close during monsoons from 1st July and reopen in October. My last trip of this season shall be on the 29th. And I need to really try hard & struggle to keep the 'jungleitchititis' under control for three months..
I am yet to visit Ranthambore and Sariska. Plan to, next year. Will check with you if we can do safaris together.
Old 30th June 2014, 10:57   #544
Senior - BHPian

For Sariska it shouldn't be a major issue with me as we can go on a Sunday from October onwards. We can co-ordinate that.

Regarding R'bore, End November to 24th Dec I am busy with my office project. We can co-ordinate that as well. It will be my pleasure to do safaris with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

I am yet to visit Ranthambore and Sariska. Plan to, next year. Will check with you if we can do safaris together.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:09   #545
Senior - BHPian

When is the official closure date ? Lets see if we can fit in a day trip before that. Havent seen you for a long time lets meet, need some help on picture retouching as well my own efforts are very amatureish. Will show you my Sariska Dec 2013 album it is in RAW + Jpeg
There are some good Sambhar, Boar and Cheetal shots in there.
Old 1st July 2014, 10:45   #546
Senior - BHPian

Shahid Bhai, the parks closed from today. 30th June was the last date..

I had called you on 21st to check if you could come with me on 22nd. You didn't pick-up your phone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post

When is the official closure date ? Lets see if we can fit in a day trip before that. Havent seen you for a long time lets meet, need some help on picture retouching as well my own efforts are very amatureish. Will show you my Sariska Dec 2013 album it is in RAW + Jpeg

There are some good Sambhar, Boar and Cheetal shots in there.
Old 1st July 2014, 21:38   #547
Senior - BHPian

22nd June, 2014 - Morning

My last visit was 34 days ago and in between I had gone to Ranthambore twice, did 12 safaris in total and had great sightings. All that is logged in my R'bore travelogue. The season was coming to an end with the parks closing for three months from 1st July to reopen on 1st October. I wanted to do atleast one safari, if not two, before Sariska closed. Contacted my friend Samridh and off we went to Sariska. Uneventful drive and we were inside the forest by 6:10. According to the Information gathered at the entrance gate, Tigress ST 3 was somewhere in Taarunda and Tigress ST 7 was sighted crossing the road near Salopka and going towards Kaali Raadi about 20 minutes ago.

We decided to look for ST 7 and return to Taarunda for ST 3 later. As soon as we crossed Bhairun Ghaati we saw these Sambars who were nervous & alert.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1258.jpg

We stopped at a distance and observed silently. Far above the hills we heard the Langur call. Some predator was somewhere. The Langur fell silent after sometime followed by a single call of a Sambar from the hills and then everything was silent. These Sambars relaxed and resumed grazing. We moved ahead.

As we reached the new Salopka anicut saw this dead Sambar on the side.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1259.jpg

This did not appear to be a kill as nothing was eaten. We decided to explore and cautiously approached the carcass. This was a young healthy Sambar with velvety antlers and had died a natural death. A few crows were hovering nearby. Since it had died only a couple of hours earlier, the flesh had not yet begun to rot, so no scavenger or a predator had come. Instead of waiting we left to look for ST 7. By afternoon we were sure that some scavenger or predator would discover this carcass and have a meal.

After reaching Kaali Raadi we got to know from the foot patrol that ST 7 had indeed crossed over in the morning. We staked out, slowly patrolled the entire stretch, waited again. This was repeated several times without any result. Our time was up and we exited.

Went to our usual place to freshen and rest. We had to return by 3:30.

22nd June, 2014 - Evening

Entered the forest at 3:45. It was very hot and humid. Instead of going to the dead Sambar carcass, went to Taarunda. Scanned the entire area and then proceeded to the Taarunda anicut. As we neared the water-body heard a Sambar call, followed by another Sambar and then another Sambar. Now we were hearing three Sambars call together. Excitement ran through our veins and readying our cameras we waited. The calls went on for quite sometime and it was thrilling. Fortunately ours was the only jeep in that area and if the Tigress emerged, then we would have an unhindered view.

Then we heard some rustling sound in the bushes with some thumping sound. What was that? There emerged three villagers with wooden staff in their hand and they were in a hurry to get away. They had seen ST 3 deep inside sitting in water and cooling & drinking. The Sambars too had seen her and hence the alarm calls. The villagers said that the way she was in the water, there were hardly any chance of her to get up and venture out. In any case we decided to try our luck.

After sometime the jungle fell silent. She wasn't going to come out in this heat. We headed towards the Sambar carcass. Surprisingly the carcass was in the same way as it was in the morning. Untouched. It meant the rot had not yet set in and the carcass also was not seen.

Moved ahead in search of ST 7 but nothing happened. While we were moving to and fro scanning the area, heard some birds chirping agitatedly. What was that due to? Went to investigate and this is what we found.

Felix chaus or the Jungle Cat

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1262.jpg

Sighting of the Jungle Cat is considered to be more prized than that of a Tiger because it is very rarely seen and is a master at hiding. This fellow kept on sitting there and wouldn't move out. No point wasting time, we again went to search for ST 7. Far above the hills a lone Langur called and kept on calling. It was a female Langur and she calls only when she has a confirmed visual of the predator. Her call now was interspersed with the call of a Sambar. The predator was on the move. This went on for few minutes and by this time a couple of more jeeps had converged on this place hearing the alarm calls. All waited and waited and the calls ceased. This was not our day and it was time to return. As we slowly headed back, suddenly Khagesh slammed hard on the brakes and whispered - "Jungle Cat".

She was in the open and on a hunt. Let the pictures talk.

Head buried and tail flashing

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4316.jpg

About to pounce

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4318.jpg

Turns & looks at us

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4322.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1265.jpg

Some sound attracts her

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1266.jpg

Crouches & gets into attack mode

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1274.jpg

Then she leapt in the air and pounced. I was so mesmerised seeing this that I forgot to click.

Sat down on its haunches. If only I could translate that look in her eyes that seemed to say - "couldn't you leave me alone"?

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1271.jpg

Settles down

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-1284.jpg

After a while gets up and vanishes away in the dense vegetation

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4326.jpg

We too returned and personally I felt quite satisfied for having seen and decently photographed the Jungle Cat. This was my second last trip of the season. I am scheduled to visit again on the 29th June which will be the last trip of this season.

Till then.....
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2014, 21:27   #548
Senior - BHPian

29th June, 2014 - Morning

Wild life parks in East, West & North would close from 1st July for Monsoons and I wanted to visit once again for one last time this season. My wife had already warned me in advance that apart from her no one should be coming along. So we two went to Sariska. As before everything was kept ready for me by Harisingh. There was some good news. In the night sometime around 3 am the foresters at the entrance gate heard a Tiger roaring. While they could not make out then which Cat it was, by day-break it became clear by the pug-marks that it was ST 3 who had come down from the hills after three days. While waiting at the entrance gate as entries were being made, I was told that ST 3 was seen crossing the road from Ghaanka side to Karna ka Baas around 5:30 am.

Three days back, before going up the hills ST 3 was sighted at Geru ka Tiraaha. Without wasting time we rushed towards that area.

On the way we saw a pair of Himalayan Jackal.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4329.jpg

While going on the 'paal road' at Karna ka Baas as we neared chopta, we saw fresh pug-marks. These were of ST 3 and instead of going forward they were in the opposite direction. This meant that ST 3 turned around and walked back. It was puzzling. We again examined the foot-prints closely, went a bit further but found nothing, came back and followed the pug-marks. After a point they vanished due to hard soil. We scoured the area thoroughly and after making sure that the Tigress indeed went back again towards Ghaanka, headed there.

After minutely checking the trail, Ghaanka Tiraaha and other places headed towards Taarunda. Found nothing here too so went to the Taarunda Chowki to check if any information was available. The chowki in-charge gave a goldmine of an information - ST 3 was seen going towards Latthavla 40 minutes back. While this conversation between Harisingh/Khagesh & the chowki in-charge was going on, I saw at a distance this Hoopoe.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4332.jpg

Reaching Latthavla, we found the ST 3 tracking team, a WII jeep and the DFO's jeep. The Tigress was somewhere near. One of the members of the tracking team said that the Tigress was in the Latthavla nullah. Generally & normally this is a dry nullah but it had rained in Sariska three days ago. This nullah now had water. it was now a waiting game for all of us. Sometime we scanned the Dhoki Road, waited there to hear any sound or a call and then came back again where other jeeps lay in wait.

As time passed it became clear that the Tigress would not make a movement. By 9 am we left the forest with others. Near the reception area where my vehicle was parked, I saw this urbanised Rhesus.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4337.jpg

Figuring out how to use a straw

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4339.jpg

I love Slice

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4345.jpg

Left for our usual place to freshen up & rest. This time my wife suggested that we should take a room for few hours and rest properly. I wondered why this thought did not strike me earlier? Now when this was going to be my last visit, before I return after three months, taking a room sounded funny. In any case we took a room and while the same was being readied and allotted, had our breakfast.

29th June, 2014 - Evening

Slept for almost two hours peacefully, had a bath and reached Sariska reception at 3:20 pm. Entered the forest in the next ten minutes and the news at the entrance was not very encouraging - ST 3 had not stirred from that place at all. Just to make sure we did a reccee of Taarunda, Latthvla & the Dhoki Road. It was status-quo as we found out from the Taarunda chowki again. Since it was very hot and humid, the Tigress, if at all made a move, would do so only around 5:30. We decided to explore other parts of the jungle and then come back to this place later.

Finding nothing else for almost an hour and a half we headed towards Latthvla. On the way near Taarunda water-hole we heard the sounds of agitated birds. The Crow, Babblers, Peacoks & Francolins were creating a racket and we decided to explore. Was it a Snake or a Mongoose? Couldn't see anything that had agitated the birds. Khagesh inched the jeep forward a bit and lo behold, this was the cause of the rumble in the jungle. I couldn't believe my luck what I saw - it was the elusive Jungle Cat. I spotted one in my last safari and now again. When it rains, it pours...

Jungle Cat

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4348.jpg

This fellow was lying in wait to hunt for the Francolin chicks and the doughty mother had put up a stiff resistance

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4366.jpg

Exposed, the Cat decided to leave

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4349.jpg

Crosses the trail in front of my jeep and vanishes away in the thicket

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4353.jpg

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4356.jpg

Came back to Dhoki road and parked ourselves. A couple of jeeps were also parked nearby. The waiting game began again. If ST 3 got up and moved, she would have to come on this trail.

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-4370.jpg

The tension grew as the clock kept ticking away. About 500 meters away an official jeep of the Rajasthan Govt., carrying some VIP guests, was parked. Suddenly I saw the back door open and every body came out including a little child. This was a serious violation of the jungle rules and also posed a grave danger to the people. I clicked their picture and decided to complain.

Name:  4372a.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  119.6 KB

By now our time also got over and we had to leave. ST 3 might make a movement after 7 pm. Thus ended my last safari of the season on a satisfying note. For three months it is going to be vacation time for us as well as the jungle residents. When the Park reopens in October, it will have something new to offer.

There are good chances of "Jungle Itchititis" recurring in these three months. The good news is that Jhirna in Corbett and Zones 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 in R'bore are open throughout. So are the parks in South like Kabini/Nagerhole, Bandipur, Mudumalai, Parambikulam, TopSlip, Chinnar, Periyar (Thekady) and Muthanga (Wayanad). I can go here for 'treatment' if the condition worsens...

Till then...

p.s. - 30th June, 2014

Harisingh called in the morning to inform that ST 3 made a movement at 7:30 pm and was sighted by the VIP vehicle.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 11:58   #549
Senior - BHPian

20th July, 2014

This morning a phone call changed everything. ST 2 has become mother again. Roshun Povaiah, Anurag Sharma & I were there on 22nd December when she mated with ST 6 for three days.

This love affair started in December 2013.

A great news that calls for celebration. Sariska is rocking.

She has delivered two little cute cubs that have been captured in the camera trap.

I am dying to go and see them but can't as the Park is closed. Oh God, October is so far...!

The first look and very exclusive too - the straight camera trap picture..:

Gurgaon - Sariska - Gurgaon - Phew...Finally sighted one of the Tiger Cubs of ST2-st2_mother.jpg

Name:  samachar_Jagat.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  78.4 KB
Old 30th August 2014, 12:01   #550
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning a phone call confirmed what we all knew for sometime. The visual proof came by evening.

ST 10 (formerly Bina-2 of RTR) has become mother for the first time. She mated with ST 4 a few months back.

Sariska is rocking. Now there are 13 Cats in total including the cubs.

ST 10 has delivered two little cute cubs that have been captured in the camera trap.

I am dying to go and see them but can't as the Park is closed. Oh God, October is so far...!

The first look and very exclusive too - the straight camera trap picture..:

Name:  ST_10.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  78.4 KB

Picture made available by Surendra Chouhan

The news appeared in Samachar Jagat, Jaipur on 30th.

Name:  D_godha.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  68.5 KB
gd1418 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2014, 12:33   #551
BHPian

That's a great news GD sir. Not only this species deserves to live, it would be great for enthusiasts like us to spot them. Ultimately the probability of spotting the striped cat will increase. God bless the newborns!
JASMEET MATTOO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 11:20   #552
Senior - BHPian

Time to celebrate GD SIr, the news pleases my heart. Lets meet up and chat off roading, scorpio, camera and tigers.
Next trip to Sariska will be in the Thar if you like.
Old 2nd September 2014, 17:03   #553
BHPian

Hi GD1418,

Your trip to Sariska Tiger Reserve was a real eye opener. I did not know Sariska was doing so well and this has definitely aroused my interest regarding the same. The photos you've clicked were quite brilliant. Definitely a travel must for a long weekend trip.
Old 4th September 2014, 09:47   #554
Senior - BHPian

It is a very well managed wild life park today. Good rest stops and food available nearby and a mere three hours run from Gurgaon. Thats why we keep going there.
Old 16th October 2014, 22:59   #555
Senior - BHPian

Ladies and gentlemen,
Offroaders and wildlife enthusiasts. Photographers and adventure travellers.

With a very heavy heart I regret to inform you that GD 1418, Guru Dutt departed for heavenly abode on September 5, 2014 aged 55.

The trails of Sariska will miss you GD I will always remember the many beautiful moments spent with you in this great sprawling aravalli forest and my first sighting of the Tiger of Rajasthan.

Everytime I go out with Hari Singh our hearts will always yearn for you.

Last edited by desertfox : 16th October 2014 at 23:02.
Closed Thread