Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th February 2011, 10:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Magnificent Pench !

Very well said sir, many miss out on the beauty of the woods while searching for the cats. We did Gir and Ranthambhore quite regularly sometimes camping for a week and on numerous occasions were happy to enjoy the serenity of the woods only. But your compositions are awesome, quite a inspirations and learnings. Your compositions make me miss my Minolta Dynax 505i Super with 300 zoom. Would like to know which one you are using in this trip.

It would be nice of you to put the settings used on some captures so the photographer motoring gang here would learn somethings.

The lovely and silent hue of the peacock background and the voilets in the woods above are amazing.

Last edited by parsh : 12th February 2011 at 10:28.
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 11:32   #32
BHPian

Default a big on the back of my team

Its so heartening to see everybody appreciate this thread even if there are no tigers.
This trip was more of a relaxed wildlife outing rather than a Tiger spotting spree.
Still your group managed quite a few good encounters including the super moment with the Leopard.

5 stars from me to this thread.

@everybody: I could finally entice Fazal saab to Pench after almost a year of planning and what an amazing time we had there. The 3 days spent with you sir will remain firmly ensconsed in my memory.

Barring a few unavoidable glitches (from either end) I would put your entire trip a 100% success.

I would like to give a big pat on the back of my entire team who assisted you and your group during the 3 days of your stay. A special word of thanks to Ishwar for dilligently guarding your group in the midst of Tiger country that night when you had pitched the tent on his land. My drivers Bablu and Lallan were their usual belligerent selfs and any word of praise falls short. Patiram, the cook at Lallan's was also a very interesting character. Along with them , the handpicked guides who accompanied your group need also to be thanked for taking every effort to show you the amazing biodiversity of this park. A special word of thanks to the entire staff of the heaven's garden resort for their superb support right from giving your team special rates for stay to making their kitchen available to you for your use. Its a pity that we could not treat their staff to to delicious taste of "Tala hua Ghost and khatti daal" which you cooked so well Fazal saab.

I will look forward to contribute actively on this thread and I will be uploading a lot of animal in habitat shots that I took.

The first of the shots are these :

Shooting in tandem : Fazal saab and myself in our true habitat .
Magnificent Pench !-img_0396.1.jpg

Magnificent Pench !-img_0388.1.jpg

Magnificent Pench !-img_0387.1.jpg

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh

Its a Saturday today and i'll be off to Pench again

Last edited by abheekg : 12th February 2011 at 11:38.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 13:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

Great going. Keep more coming through, atleast I am waiting to see more and more. You guys got those meaty cameras with heavy tele-lenses there (I think I see Canon in Fazal's hand but cannot make out yours) wedged atop the bullbars. Don't you feel the need for tripods?
parsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 16:46   #34
BHPian

Magnificient pics of magnificient Pench!

Sir, I always look forward for your threads as they are not just visual treat but lot of info and learnings about Mother Nature, for someone as ignorant as me.
On top of that If Dr.Ghosh is around, well, the thread actually becomes an encyclopedia. There is so much information and learning and I really love it! Keep them coming sir!

Thank you and I look forward to more info and pics in this thread from you! :-)
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2011, 22:44   #35
BHPian

Sir,
The Big cat is surely not missed here.
Your jungle scapes surely are giving new dimensions to our mindscapes of the jungles.
Thank you for this thread as it surely will bring about more attention to conservation of the forests which will in return take care of the wildlife too.
As you had mentioned earlier that it was a well planned trip to capture the jungles , mission surely well accomplished. 5*
Regards
Coooolcat21 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 13:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Don't you feel the need for tripods?
parsh,
Dr. Ghosh has a Canon L IS 300mm prime lens and I was carrying a 100-400 L IS lens. Both are IS (image stabilization) hence, don't need a tripod.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
Magnificient pics of magnificient Pench!
Sir, I always look forward for your threads as they are not just visual treat but lot of info and learnings about Mother Nature, for someone as ignorant as me.
On top of that If Dr.Ghosh is around, well, the thread actually becomes an encyclopedia. There is so much information and learning and I really love it! Keep them coming sir!

Thank you and I look forward to more info and pics in this thread from you! :-)
saleem_k,
Thank you for your kind words. We did our best and kept in mind our friends on T-BHP who are well educated in forests and wildlife, with high standards in photography. Nothing mediocre would satisfy them. So, it is you all who bring out the best in us. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coooolcat21 View Post
Sir,
The Big cat is surely not missed here.
Your jungle scapes surely are giving new dimensions to our mindscapes of the jungles.
Thank you for this thread as it surely will bring about more attention to conservation of the forests which will in return take care of the wildlife too.
As you had mentioned earlier that it was a well planned trip to capture the jungles , mission surely well accomplished. 5*
Regards
Coooolcat21,
Thank you for your appreciation.

As my cousin was coming from US, I asked him to get for me a 50mm prime lens specifically for habitat photography.

You know, I myself hadn't realized that this would be the best time of the year for what I had planned out to do, as the forest was about to shed its leaves before summer and it was the time when the (after monsoon) dense, monotonous green would turn from green to autumn gold and a thousand inbetween hues. Soon the summer would set in and give Pench a dry and deciduous look. I was fortunate to make it there at the right time.

You also have rightly stated that we miss out on the abundantly visible forest in search of something less visible. I too have done that in the past, but this time my focus and priorities were different, it is the result of inspiration I derived from Rudra Sen.

Yes, it is the forests that need to be saved first for the wildlife to survive and thrive. Our politicians need to understand this and stop distributing forest land to tribals for votes and stop cattle grazing in reserves all across India. The forest are for the resident wildlife and not for vote bank politics.

There should be at least a 10 year moratorium on our forest, this is the only way the forests stand a chance, if not we can give them max 15 years and by the time your son turns into a handsome young man....there will be nothing left for him to see, like he is today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsh View Post
Your compositions make me miss my Minolta Dynax 505i Super with 300 zoom. Would like to know which one you are using in this trip.

It would be nice of you to put the settings used on some captures so the photographer motoring gang here would learn somethings.
parsh,
I was using a Canon 20D and a 5D mk II, two 5d mk II's actually when the other was free.

Lenses for wildlife:

Canon 70-300mm
non IS non L.
Canon
100-400 IS L.

Lens for habitat:
Canon 50mm, prime.

The settings:
Most wildlife photographers use aperture priority, I go for shutter priority. Why? Because, it gives me more control over fast or slow moving subjects (animals). I prioritize freezing or blurring their motion over depth of field. Anyways, DoF is not possible on zoomed shots.

Controlling the light is also more effective with faster or slower shutter speeds.

Especially, with a non IS lens I needed to use shutter priority as we were shooting on the go and wanted the subjects in my panned frame to be crispy sharp as in my posts, it would not have been possible if the camera would select the shutter speed and me aperture.

For wildlife I used 800-2000 shutter on 20D @ 400-800 ISO.
On 5Dmk II used 2000-5000 with a pumped up ISO up to 5200. Mk II is phenomenal at high ISO, unbelievably low noise.
Focus: Center focus point.

For habitat too I used high shutter speed as I prefer darker images over brightly exposed and blurred, most were shot on the move and spontaneously. For example, the forest guys standing by the controlled fire were framed and shot within 3 seconds before our Gypsy would pass them and that shot would not be possible.
Focus: multi focus points.

The non L 50mm prime is f 1:1.8, which translates into a very bright and fast lens.

As the situation demanded, I swapped the lenses. 10-20% is over to pp.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 14:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
Still your group managed quite a few good encounters including the super moment with the Leopard.

@everybody: I could finally entice Fazal saab to Pench after almost a year of planning and what an amazing time we had there. The 3 days spent with you sir will remain firmly ensconsed in my memory.

Barring a few unavoidable glitches (from either end) I would put your entire trip a 100% success.

I would like to give a big pat on the back of my entire team who assisted you and your group during the 3 days of your stay....Its a pity that we could not treat their staff to to delicious taste of "Tala hua Ghost and khatti daal" which you cooked so well Fazal saab.
Dr. Ghosh,

The leopard after its prey was sighted by our group in the other Gypsy, but those guys didn't have their camera in position...what a shame.

It was a mutual experience and much more, with your vast knowledge of the park and interaction with the locals, it couldn't get better.

Yes, Ishwar, Lallan, Bablu, the cook and the guides...all of them received special thanks personally from our group for all that they did, before we left Pench, which was after you. It is nice you remember the menu.

Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 14:50   #38
Senior - BHPian

Two unfortunate events.

A Chital dead about 20 meters from the internal road in the park. Reason: Unknown.
Magnificent Pench !-img_2019.jpg
A Langur dead by the road leading to the park gates. Reason: Road hit.
Magnificent Pench !-img_2361.jpg
Old 14th February 2011, 13:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

parsh,
I was using a Canon 20D and a 5D mk II, two 5d mk II's actually when the other was free.

Lenses for wildlife:

Canon 70-300mm
non IS non L.
Canon
100-400 IS L.

Lens for habitat:
Canon 50mm, prime.

The settings:
Most wildlife photographers use aperture priority, I go for shutter priority. Why? Because, it gives me more control over fast or slow moving subjects (animals). I prioritize freezing or blurring their motion over depth of field. Anyways, DoF is not possible on zoomed shots.

Controlling the light is also more effective with faster or slower shutter speeds.

Especially, with a non IS lens I needed to use shutter priority as we were shooting on the go and wanted the subjects in my panned frame to be crispy sharp as in my posts, it would not have been possible if the camera would select the shutter speed and me aperture.

For wildlife I used 800-2000 shutter on 20D @ 400-800 ISO.
On 5Dmk II used 2000-5000 with a pumped up ISO up to 5200. Mk II is phenomenal at high ISO, unbelievably low noise.
Focus: Center focus point.

For habitat too I used high shutter speed as I prefer darker images over brightly exposed and blurred, most were shot on the move and spontaneously. For example, the forest guys standing by the controlled fire were framed and shot within 3 seconds before our Gypsy would pass them and that shot would not be possible.
Focus: multi focus points.

The non L 50mm prime is f 1:1.8, which translates into a very bright and fast lens.

As the situation demanded, I swapped the lenses. 10-20% is over to pp.

Regards,
And of course he had access to all these if he didn't want to sawp lenses
Magnificent Pench !-img_03732.jpg

More later. I'm trying to find time to contribute actively to this thread but not being able to take time off my practice. In the meanwhile let these sporadic postings bring smiles to all of you.

regards,
Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 18:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
And of course he had access to all these if he didn't want to sawp lenses
Ha ha ha...and plus the one you got this shot with.

Last edited by Technocrat : 15th February 2011 at 00:55. Reason: Please avoid highllighting of entire text in Bold, Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 18:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

Fazal excellent captures depicting the wildlife at Pench. Thanks for showcasing it here and letting us lesser mortals oogle at them. Cant think of a wildlife reserve down south here other than the Kharapur Forest Range, no tigers though :-(.

Quote:
There should be at least a 10 year moratorium on our forest, this is the only way the forests stand a chance, if not we can give them max 15 years and by the time your son turns into a handsome young man....there will be nothing left for him to see, like he is today.
Amen to that !!
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 21:13   #42
BHPian

Sir,
Seeing all those cameras and lenses all that i can say is that its a blessing that your interest in photography is being majorely dedicated to wildlife and nature lovers like us can relish every picture of wildlife and its habitat.
The dead langoor is but unevitable, the vehicles inside the reserves race across the roads when there is news of a tiger sighting. TL like these will help develop more respect to all wildlife.
Concerning the generations to come, its really doubtful if they will get to see the glory of our jungles. It becomes all the more important for us to get them more involved and interested in wildlife with a hope that they shall save the forests. I hope my son does.
Coooolcat21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 22:24   #43
Senior - BHPian

Great thread and kudos. Good pictures and the picture of the dhole and the deer feeding its baby made my day.

Well i for one really think the teak cultivation in the forests do not help matters as it is not usually a part of staple diet unlike for say bamboo.

It is true that the forests are degrading and habitat loss is a major factor. People usually talk about big names in forests but forget that some ancient migratory paths of animals. For example factories and mines coming up in reserve forest land!! Well our environment minister makes a lot of noise usually but frankly looking at the nuclear plant in jaitapur fiasco i would say well is it truely green ministry!!

PS: Want to watch two sets of videos by Krupakar and senani on the wild dogs. Wild dog diaries and The Pack. Anyone knows where i can do so?
maddy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 00:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Maddy, the one you are referring to as Dhol (Indian Wild Dog) is actually a Jackal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Good pictures and the picture of the dhole and the deer feeding its baby made my day.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2011, 19:31   #45

We had a great time, hopefully "Kanha" will be next in March
Dev D is offline   Reply With Quote