Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 19th February 2011, 19:11   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Magnificent Pench !

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
parsh,
parsh,
I was using a Canon 20D and a 5D mk II, two 5d mk II's actually when the other was free.

Lenses for wildlife:
Canon 70-300mm non IS non L.
Canon 100-400 IS L.

Lens for habitat:
Canon 50mm, prime.

The settings: Most wildlife photographers use aperture priority, I go for shutter priority. Why? Because, it gives me more control over fast or slow moving subjects (animals). I prioritize freezing or blurring their motion over depth of field. Anyways, DoF is not possible on zoomed shots.

Controlling the light is also more effective with faster or slower shutter speeds.

Especially, with a non IS lens I needed to use shutter priority as we were shooting on the go and wanted the subjects in my panned frame to be crispy sharp as in my posts, it would not have been possible if the camera would select the shutter speed and me aperture.

For wildlife I used 800-2000 shutter on 20D @ 400-800 ISO.
On 5Dmk II used 2000-5000 with a pumped up ISO up to 5200. Mk II is phenomenal at high ISO, unbelievably low noise.
Focus: Center focus point.

For habitat too I used high shutter speed as I prefer darker images over brightly exposed and blurred, most were shot on the move and spontaneously. For example, the forest guys standing by the controlled fire were framed and shot within 3 seconds before our Gypsy would pass them and that shot would not be possible.
Focus: multi focus points.

The non L 50mm prime is f 1:1.8, which translates into a very bright and fast lens.

As the situation demanded, I swapped the lenses. 10-20% is over to pp.

Regards,
Fazal saab, this is great information for someone like me who's just starting out with photography! I have one question for you. Do you shoot using auto focus or manual focus. I heard that manual focus offers better control and started using it but I miss many shots due to the time taken while adjusting manual focus, I need to be faster. So not sure if that's the way to go when capturing sports action or when spotting wildlife or birdwatching. Need your opinion on which one do you ideally use and why?

Regards,

Saleem.
saleem_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2011, 20:41   #62
Senior - BHPian

@ fazalaliadil. Very insightful points on the type of lens to be used and the shutter preferences

I am also inclined to wildlife photography and using it as a learning base.

I agree with your point on shutter priority as well, as more than lighting, quite often, we need speed and to capture the essence of the movement. Have spoilt several shots, where shutter speed was less to get to 0 for app priority

Last edited by thedreamcatcher : 19th February 2011 at 20:42.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 08:57   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saleem_k View Post
I have one question for you. Do you shoot using auto focus or manual focus. I heard that manual focus offers better control and started using it but I miss many shots due to the time taken while adjusting manual focus, I need to be faster. So not sure if that's the way to go when capturing sports action or when spotting wildlife or birdwatching. Need your opinion on which one do you ideally use and why?
Saleem,
It is a matter of personal choice I guess, I particularly do not find any advantage in focusing manually over auto. When you do 5-8 fps of action photography, how can you manually focus in that situation?
How much ever fast you are the camera's AF capability can beat you hollow in speed and accuracy, then what is the advantage in manual focus?
There are other factors and ingredients in what makes a good or great photograph. AF or MF, make sure you do not get handicapped and miss half the action trying to manually focus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
I agree with your point on shutter priority as well, as more than lighting, quite often, we need speed and to capture the essence of the movement. Have spoilt several shots, where shutter speed was less to get to 0 for app priority
thedreamcatcher,
To each his own, for example Dr. Ghosh shoots aperture priority and it works damn good for him.
Since the beginning I have used shutter priority, for freezing the subject in motion or to show deliberate motion blur, I rarely messed the shot on shutter.
Like I mentioned before, aperture allows better DoF, or clarity in back and fore ground of the subject, plus control of lighting.
But in wildlife photography, when you are using lenses with higher focal length, the DoF goes for a toss in either mode and actually helps in popping out a sharp and crisp subject against a blurred back/fore ground as in pic. 3.

Some sample shots from Nagarahole.

Down side of auto focus. This one badly messed, shot at full 400mm focal length (640mm on a 1.6 crop factor, 20D body). The camera focused on the foreground foliage on both sides of the sloth bear and cub. Reason: camera was set on multi focus points instead of center. (in this situation).
Magnificent Pench !-img_3082.jpg
Spotted deer heeding an alarm call from 500 yards away. Also shot at shutter priority with a 55mm lens, which automatically gave me the DoF.
Magnificent Pench !-img_3135.jpg
Action frozen and got the desired results at shutter priority. Deer in high sprint against the huge trees, blurred back and fore ground due to full focal length.
Magnificent Pench !-img_3072.jpg
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2011, 19:18   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Saleem,
It is a matter of personal choice I guess, I particularly do not find any advantage in focusing manually over auto. When you do 5-8 fps of action photography, how can you manually focus in that situation?
How much ever fast you are the camera's AF capability can beat you hollow in speed and accuracy, then what is the advantage in manual focus?
There are other factors and ingredients in what makes a good or great photograph. AF or MF, make sure you do not get handicapped and miss half the action trying to manually focus.

Regards,
Sir, I personally feel there are three advantages of MF over AF.

1. I found MF useful when I'm trying to focus on a bird from in between trees and foliage and the AF doesn't do its job properly as it has various other subjects, surrounding the actual subject to focus on (even when set to center point focus).

2. Composing the picture can be done well when in MF coz I have a bit more control on where to place the subject. If I use AF with center point focus, I probably will have to first focus on the subject, keeping in center, then move the cam away and take the pic. Even in such cases, I feel the focus might misfire if I don't execute perfectly.

3. This is one thing I noticed that with MF the battery lasts longer.

But I agree that speed is something that is missing when using MF and with sports action I just can't use MF. However, I have caught some flying birds in action through MF and believe me it took a lot of effort to do so.

Sorry about this off-topic discussion but I believe this interaction would bring about learnings for everyone interested in photography.

Regards,

Saleem.
Old 20th February 2011, 22:26   #65
BHPian

Yes, definitely this is very helpful. Though I use a bridge camera to start with. But AF/CF/MF have similar importance on any camera. I believe for flying birds isnt the CF is preferred? Correct me if I am wrong. By the way, I am heading to Pench next weekend and hope to meet Dr. Ghosh.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 17:33   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
I believe for flying birds isnt the CF is preferred? Correct me if I am wrong. By the way, I am heading to Pench next weekend and hope to meet Dr. Ghosh.
nomadabhi,
All the best on your Pench visit.
For flying birds CF is preferred because it gives you plenty of frame to frame the subject in, as you are panning.
Quote:
Sir, I personally feel there are three advantages of MF over AF.

1. I found MF useful when I'm trying to focus on a bird from in between trees and foliage and the AF doesn't do its job properly as it has various other subjects, surrounding the actual subject to focus on (even when set to center point focus).

2. Composing the picture can be done well when in MF coz I have a bit more control on where to place the subject. If I use AF with center point focus, I probably will have to first focus on the subject, keeping in center, then move the cam away and take the pic. Even in such cases, I feel the focus might misfire if I don't execute perfectly.

3. This is one thing I noticed that with MF the battery lasts longer.

But I agree that speed is something that is missing when using MF and with sports action I just can't use MF. However, I have caught some flying birds in action through MF and believe me it took a lot of effort to do so.

Sorry about this off-topic discussion but I believe this interaction would bring about learnings for everyone interested in photography.

Regards,

Saleem.
Saleem_K,
All three advantages stated you are 100% valid. It is a matter of personal preferences and what suits and works for you.
A perched bird is easier to shoot than a bird in flight, for this you can use the MF to go through the thin branches and fine twigs to reach the subject which wouldn't otherwise be possible and end up like the sloth bear shot on AF.
Faster moving subjects need faster focusing. A better idea is to switch from AF to MF and vice versa as the situation requires. Thats what I did with the 5D MkII...a one touch (AF ON) button beside the focus point selector button is all you need to override the manual focus while on AF.

Yes, manual focusing conserves the battery power, when AF is deactivated as the motor that drives the lens for focusing consumes battery life.
Regards,
Magnificent Pench !-img_0269.jpg
Old 21st February 2011, 17:45   #67
Senior - BHPian

Fazalbhai,

Reference your first picture in post #:63 of the Mama Sloth & its baby. Wouldn't it have been better if you had used center-weighted spot metering?

When in a sanctuary I always use spot metering..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2252281
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 20:53   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Fazalbhai,
Reference your first picture in post #:63 of the Mama Sloth & its baby. Wouldn't it have been better if you had used center-weighted spot metering?
When in a sanctuary I always use spot metering..
Guru Dutt Saheb,
Yes, spot metering is an option that can be used... more important in this case, had the 9 point focus been set on the center focus point, the bear mama and baby would be crystal clear. That was not so and it has become a text book shot of what not to do.

Spot metering, I avoid in most long shots,why? Spot metering covers only 3.5% of the view finder area.

Suppose, if I were to shoot this bear on spot metering mode, the camera would take the reading of its jet black
(darkest creature of the forest) body and open up the aperture accordingly, this would result in a extremely over exposed area outside of the 3.5% circle. The bear would come out well exposed but the rest of the photograph would not be balanced.

I am learning, now I am better than then. I keep pumping up or dropping the ISO, change the shutter speed, change the metering modes and keep shifting the focusing points in anticipation or as per the situation...all this is done whenever there a momentary gap.

Last trip was with two cameras, one for habitat another for wildlife, with different settings. Next time if I am going to Pench, it will be only wildlife with two cameras again, as in summer the forest is not as beautiful as it was now.
Regards,
Old 21st February 2011, 21:00   #69
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

Agreed. You have a point there. I draw your attention to the 8th picture in this post along with my views on why I photographed the Sloth in monochrome - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2243213

I would like to know your views on this picture..

Quote:
Guru Dutt Saheb,

Suppose, if I were to shoot this bear on spot metering mode, the camera would take the reading of its jet black
(darkest creature of the forest) body and open up the aperture accordingly, this would result in a extremely over exposed area outside of the 3.5% circle. The bear would come out well exposed but the rest of the photograph would not be balanced.

Regards,
Old 21st February 2011, 22:28   #70
Senior - BHPian

Fazal

I am really hooked on to this now.

So far my pick is this one attached here.

Simply because this is the best picture of this beutiful animal, that I have seen in an Indian jungle setting.

May be because I am partial to dogs!

Thanks for the photos

Regards and Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Attached Thumbnails
Magnificent Pench !-img_3461.jpg  

r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2011, 22:33   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I would like to know your views on this picture..
GD,
Thats a nice pic. of a robust male in broad day light, just imagine the amount of light they absorb!!! Nearly half of the forests? Whatever you do and whichever metering mode...the bears keep absorbing it all.

Also notice, the langur's face too sucks up all the light and turns out too dark, but your langur face is very well exposed and shows the light in the eyes too.
Regards,

This male turning up at the waterhole in my 2010 Tadoba trip.
Magnificent Pench !-img_5163.jpg
Old 21st February 2011, 23:41   #72
Senior - BHPian

Ram,

I'm sorry to correct you, but this is no dog or its distant relative by a mile. It is the Himalayan Jackal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Fazal

So far my pick is this one attached here.

Simply because this is the best picture of this beutiful animal, that I have seen in an Indian jungle setting.

May be because I am partial to dogs!

Ram
Old 22nd February 2011, 01:28   #73
BHPian

This thread is fast turning into an epitome on the nuances of exposure and light handling during photography. I advise every beginner & regular photo shooters to read and re-read and ask questions to 2 very senior and experienced photographers - Fazal saab and Guru Dutt sir here. It will be also great if we can have other photography stalwarts on the forum like Rudra Sen sir, Samurai and the others contribute here and take part in these discussions so that we lesser mortals can learn from your experiences.

Last edited by abheekg : 22nd February 2011 at 01:30.
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 14:43   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abheekg View Post
This thread is fast turning into an epitome on the nuances of exposure and light handling during photography. I advise every beginner & regular photo shooters to read and re-read and ask questions to 2 very senior and experienced photographers - Fazal saab and Guru Dutt sir here. It will be also great if we can have other photography stalwarts on the forum like Rudra Sen sir, Samurai and the others contribute here and take part in these discussions so that we lesser mortals can learn from your experiences.
Dr.Ghosh,

I know you are being very modest here. We need your comments too on MF Vs. AF. I know there are lots of websites where this discussion happens but hearing it directly from Fazal saab and you would be a different experience with great learning and guidelines for someone like me.

Regards,

Saleem.
Old 22nd February 2011, 15:54   #75
Senior - BHPian

+1 to this.. Very down to earth as well..

Quote:
Dr.Ghosh,

I know you are being very modest here.

Saleem.