Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 22nd February 2011, 21:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Magnificent Pench !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
Ram,

I'm sorry to correct you, but this is no dog or its distant relative by a mile. It is the Himalayan Jackal.
gd1418,

Never be sorry in correcting something when it is wrong

I think I know my "dogs" and "cats". My comment about dogs was ment for Fazal as we had talked about dogs before (boxers etc)

Also my use of term "dog" is not incorrect at all. See the following (A text book definition):

Quote:

Etymology and related terminology

"Dog is the common use term that refers to members of the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris. The term can also be used to refer to a wider range of related species, such as the members of the genus Canis, or "true dogs", including the wolf, coyote, and jackals; or it can refer to the members of the subfamily Caninae, which would also include the African wild dog; or it can be used to refer to any member of the family Canidae, which would also include the foxes, bush dog, raccoon dog, and others"
Unquote:

gd1418, let us not hijack this thread, I really take it in the spirit you said it and I hope you do too!

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 21:55   #77
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ram. I stand corrected..

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

Also my use of term "dog" is not incorrect at all. See the following (A text book definition):

Quote:

"Dog is the common use term that refers to members of the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris. The term can also be used to refer to a wider range of related species, such as the members of the genus Canis, or "true dogs", including the wolf, coyote, and jackals;"
Unquote:

Ram
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:40   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Ram. I stand corrected..
Quote:
I really take it in the spirit you said it and I hope you do too!
Two gentlemen one one thread, that is nice, very nice.
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 19:06   #79
BHPian

Thanks for photography shoooting tips in the Jungles. Planning to shoot @Kanha this April. I have a Nikon DSLR but will shift to Canon and buy a few lenses that are in your rig.

The B&W pics are mindblowing.

Thank you for the information shared here.
nanduchitnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2011, 20:50   #80
Senior - BHPian

@Nanduchitnis: While it is absolutely your personal choice of what brand of camera you want to use, it is the person behind the camera that matters.

And Fazalbhai, you selling your lenses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanduchitnis View Post

I have a Nikon DSLR but will shift to Canon and buy a few lenses that are in your rig.
Old 1st March 2011, 06:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Nanduchitnis: While it is absolutely your personal choice of what brand of camera you want to use, it is the person behind the camera that matters.

And Fazalbhai, you selling your lenses?
GD Sahab,
Thats correct, I believe in the saying a photograph is shot in the mind first.
The gear plays a vital role in presenting the 'mind's photograph'.

No, I am not selling, Nandu means lenses like mine.
Regards,
Old 1st March 2011, 07:54   #82
Team-BHP Support

Absolutely superb coverage Fazal. It's just so nice to read this thread.
Frames are so vivid that I feel I'm right there. Just lovely! Waiting for more.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 09:02   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Absolutely superb coverage Fazal. It's just so nice to read this thread.
Frames are so vivid that I feel I'm right there. Just lovely! Waiting for more.
Dear Rudra,

Thank you.
A comment from you is most uplifting.

You have been my inspiration as mentioned earlier on this thread, due to your "Images above 10000 feet" thread, exposure.

This was my first planned, exclusive habitat photo shoot, as in the past it was a mix or only wildlife and definitely it was a different and nice experience.

It is unbelievable how the 50mm f1.8 behaves out doors, its a fast really fast lens, in bright light you need to drop the ISO to lowest and shutter to highest...still you are on the borderline of over exposed.
Need some tips from you on how else to handle it.
Regards,

This one is for you.
Magnificent Pench !-img_2840.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 1st March 2011 at 09:10.
Old 1st March 2011, 10:44   #84
Senior - BHPian

Fazalbhai,

What an awesome picture. I first missed the jackal as I was so engrossed in the surroundings. Then I looked again and spotted the jackal. That changed the whole perspective..

Why the blue tinge? Natural or added during PP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

This one is for you.

Attachment 509274
Old 1st March 2011, 11:44   #85

Quote:
gd1418,

Never be sorry in correcting something when it is wrong

I think I know my "dogs" and "cats". My comment about dogs was ment for Fazal as we had talked about dogs before (boxers etc)

Quote:

"Dog is the common use term that refers to members of the subspecies Canis lupus familiaris. The term can also be used to refer to a wider range of related species, such as the members of the genus Canis, or "true dogs", including the wolf, coyote, and jackals; or it can refer to the members of the subfamily Caninae, which would also include the African wild dog; or it can be used to refer to any member of the family Canidae, which would also include the foxes, bush dog, raccoon dog, and others"
Unquote:

gd1418, let us not hijack this thread, I really take it in the spirit you said it and I hope you do too!

Ram
By the way Indian wild dogs ( Dhole) they can't bark.
Dev D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 11:59   #86
Senior - BHPian

Lovely shots Fazal sir!! You have reminded most of us that the tiger alone does not make up the Indian jungle. Most of the visitors come back disappointed because they could not spot the striped cat. Even I am one of them. We have to give up our infatuation with (only) tigers and appreciate the other denizens of the jungle as well.

Btw, the picture of the langur roadkill was sad. Looked like it was a fresh accident which occurred just before you got there.

About the white ghost tree picture, I have seen a similar kind of white ghost tree in B R Hills. Are they prevalent in all other forests in India? Anyone knows why they get that kind of appearance?
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 12:22   #87
DKG
Senior - BHPian

The collection of pictures you have showcased here just goes to show there's so much beauty in a forest and its not just the tiger that is the lure !

Outstanding pictures Fazal. You are now taking it to a whole new level. Mubarak and thanks a ton for sharing !!
DKG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 12:55   #88
adc
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic and outstanding absolutely.

Thanks for bringing out the fact that all forests have a lot to talk about rather than just bringing up showcased nonchalant tigers .

A 5-star for sure.

Last edited by adc : 1st March 2011 at 12:56.
adc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2011, 13:16   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fazalbhai,
Why the blue tinge? Natural or added during PP?
GD Sahab,
Did not add any colour, it is natural in the 7am light. In PP only brightened and added contrast for Jack to stand out, otherwise he was nearly merging in the background.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Lovely shots Fazal sir!! You have reminded most of us that the tiger alone does not make up the Indian jungle.

Btw, the picture of the langur roadkill was sad. Looked like it was a fresh accident which occurred just before you got there.

About the white ghost tree picture, I have seen a similar kind of white ghost tree in B R Hills. Are they prevalent in all other forests in India? Anyone knows why they get that kind of appearance?
Addy,
It took me time to learn this too, initially my trips too were tigercentric, yes there are so many players in the jungle, the trees, brushes, rocks, valleys, hills, other birds and animals...the tiger is just one of the players that make a different, exotic drama unfold each day.

That langur was hit maybe a few minutes before we came to it, on the way from our resort to the park gate.

The whitish bark of the tree is an inherent gene design I suppose.
Dr. Ghosh gave me the botanical name for the Ghost Tree, but I am too unscientific to remember it and also he shared a good insight about the root system of the Ghost Tree, that their root system is not strong enough to support, keep them upright as they grow tall and heavier, the reason these giants stand out in rocks...the rock anchors the roots as roots wedge themselves around it underground, thus countering balancing their massive weight over ground.

An after thought that came to my mind then:
How do they know that they need to spawn/ germinate in the midst of rocks to survive? Smart trees or for that matter smart seeds.
Conclusion:
It is not so, the trees that grew in open, rock less land fell and don't stand after a certain age and size. The ones that started their life in rocks survived and are the ones we see.

Dev D,
Though they whine endlessly, why don't they bark, , please explain.

Deepak,
Thanks, was missing You and Rudra Sen here, honestly, today is my lucky day.
Now we have a new kid on the block, Coooolcat21, who writes beautifully, passionate about forests and wildlife and posts good photographs. Need more of this breed to save whatever we have and can.

adc,

Thank you too, the tigers get more than their share of limelight now its time their home did.
Regards,

The Ghost who Stands.
Magnificent Pench !-img_2874.jpg

Last edited by fazalaliadil : 1st March 2011 at 13:22.
Old 1st March 2011, 21:37   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev D View Post
By the way Indian wild dogs ( Dhole) they can't bark.
Dev

I think that the picture posted by Fazal is not of Dhole (Indian Wild Dog). It is what is called the Himalayan Jackal. Both are from different families I am attaching a picture of Dhole for ready referrance. You can see that the colour is totally different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dev D,
Though they whine endlessly, why don't they bark, , please explain.

[/ATTACH]
Etimology:

The Dhole (Cuon alpinus) is a species of canid native to Southeast Asia. It is the only extant member of the genus Cuon, which differs from Canis by the reduced number of molars and greater number of teats.

(The Picture and Text courtesy - Wikipedia)

From the above you can see that Dhole is not from Canis. That may be the reason why they don't bark

May be the experts can shed more light on this on a separate thread.

Fazal, again excellent photo - the "Lone Ranger In the Woods" (post # 83)

Ram
Attached Images

r_nairtvm is offline   Reply With Quote