Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 7th March 2011, 07:55   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
3. a (hollow) crowbar as a weapon of self defense ( honest, inspired by sudev's post)
I am honoured to held is such esteem but wonder where and how I inspired the above?

Loved the write up.

Last edited by sudev : 7th March 2011 at 08:05.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 19:29   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I am honoured to held is such esteem but wonder where and how I inspired the above?

Loved the write up.
>>>

sudev,

I remember reading your post in a thread in which you mentioned that you carry a steel rod for unforeseen (defensive) emergencies; also that if the cops get curious about it you reason that it is to lift the jack to make the lift easier.

Took that as a cue for investing in one for my drive

The write -up continues..

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 20:33   #48
BHPian

Sir those are some really nice pics of the beast. But as most of the pics cant do justice with real experience, meeting the beast eye to eye is one of a kind.
Keeping an eye on the thread.
nomadabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 21:42   #49
BHPian

>>>

Resuming from where I had left off, it was around this time that my daughter started feeling uncomfortable ( a variant of Delhi Belly in the natural environs of Corbett) and we returned to the assembly area for lunch. In fact the pic of my nephew satisfying his pang ( pic # 77) was taken during lunch time.

After lunch we decided to go back to the resort as the daughter's tummy needed rest. So we drove back, but not before thanking our enthusiastic guide who had been as excited as us on having seen the tiger. He said that we were extremely fortunate as visitors over the last week or so had had no sighting at all. In fact one group of visitors from Delhi (who visit Corbett every other month it seems, and had come previously just a fortnight ago, had not seen any tiger in November and December.

Tigers are known to avoid humans of course.

These visitors were driving their own Safari.

Some pics now of the remaining part of our (shortened) trip.

Pic # 84 :

Triplex One
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1965.jpg

Pic # 85 :

Triplex Two, or are there more?
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1966.jpg

Pic # 86 :

Poised for action : grace
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1969.jpg

Pic # 87 :

The long tail : as important in the natural world as it is in the digital!
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1971.jpg

Pic # 88 :

Another telltale arboreal view
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1972.jpg

Pic # 89 :

Can you detect any arboreal locomotion here? I cannot
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1975.jpg

Pic # 90 :

More arboreal
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1977.jpg

Pic # 91 :

Street crossing
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1978.jpg

Pic # 92 :

Another world, flashing by
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1979.jpg

Pic # 93 :

The simian in his wide open labyrinth
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1980.jpg

More coming up.

Regards, drive safe

Last edited by issigonis : 8th March 2011 at 21:44. Reason: Added a few points
Old 9th March 2011, 12:17   #50
BHPian

>>>

The last set of pics from Corbett below. We returned to the Tiger Camp Resort around 1 pm. We rested a bit. Then I went to Ramnagar town for medicine for the daughter and returned around 3.30 pm, I think. The time is important, for an interesting event occurred around that time very near to where I was. More about that later.

Pic # 94 :

An observation tower beyond Bijrani
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1981.jpg

Pic # 95 :

Our steed with our photographer (Delhi belly in Corbett!)
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1983.jpg

Pic # 96 :

Our reliable steed (and a reliable photographer)
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1985.jpg

Pic # 97 :

Last glimpses
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1986.jpg
Pic # 98 :

Last glimpse
Red Baron :Bombay-Uttarakhand-Delhi-Bombay:24 Dec 2010 - 6 Jan 2011, 3877 kms of fun-img_1987.jpg

I got a call from Sumanta later that evening around 7 pm. I got the tragic information when I met him prior to dinner at the dinner buffet in the camp.

In a place called Sunderkhal, skirting Corbett, three village women had gone into Corbett to collect firewood in the late afternoon. This was possibly just a kilometer or so inside Corbett and along the NH 121 beside the reserve and not in its core zone, where villagers and tourists are not permitted to enter.

The three women had a huge bundle of firewood balanced on their heads when they set out to return to their village. In such situations women generally are unable to move their heads to see their friends and sense their presence by the sounds of their voice, their steps over the undergrowth and so on.

Suddenly the two women on the two sides sensed that their friend who was walking in the middle, fall to the ground when they heard the soft thud of her fall. Instantaneously, born of an instinct for self preservation, honed by the presence of wildlife through their lifetime near the reserve, they threw their bundles and ran helter skelter for their lives.

On reaching the village and narrating the incident to the assemblage of menfolk and nervous women, after some time was lost in arguments and frustration vented at the villain ( no doubts for guessing is there?) a search party was constituted. I imagine some time elapsed by the time order and good sense prevailed, for Sumanta and a band of pros plus some personnel from the reserve went in the direction that the women had taken.

After proceeding some distance, I think a kilometer or so, they found an ankle of the unfortunate woman. When Sumanta recounted this tale, the search was still continuing with torches. He also told me that it took some time for him and his team to cool tempers of the frightened and irate villagers, to whom a tiger (very unfortunately) is a villain affecting their livelihood and existence and hence has to be destroyed.

This is the crux of the Man - Tiger interface. I will not go into details of what is the current trend in thinking of a trade-off between ensuring the (sustainable) survival of Indian wildlife (and not just the tiger alone) with the livelihood and well being of people living near the forests, but record that this was the third instance of a kill in the space of about five weeks starting from November 2010.

The officials of the reserve had sounded out an alert and had identified the guilty tiger ( a tigress in this case), a little hastily I thought and based upon insufficient evidence. Shikaris had been asked to kill the cat. I communicated my concerns to Sumanta and asked him as to what would happen if the guilty cat has been wrongly identified. That would mean one innocent tiger shot or possibly injured enough to turn into a maneater, plus the danger of the tigress continuing with her ways.

I came to know in February that the tigress had been shot, thus ending the short career of the Sunderkhal man eater. I hope the shikari shot the right rogue. Be that as it may, I still think that our methods are very primitive, bureaucratic and insensitive to wildlife preservation.

To digress, I watched a BBC Entertainment programme on the criminal blunders of the officials in Sariska, Ranthambhore and Panna which led to poaching and a disastrous decline in the tiger populations there. Project Tiger was scrapped much later, as a result of the findings by pros. I tend to agree when Valmik Thapar says that people and tigers should not mix and that tigers
prosper where there are no humans.

Corbett take note.

I was in the vicinity of that very place where the tragic incident happened, blissfully unaware as I was putting my car through some wonderful curves and scenery enroute to Ramnagar and back.

Tomorrow 30th December, we bid goodbye to the resort and to Corbett and proceed to Delhi. More to follow.

Regards, drive safe
Old 10th March 2011, 16:00   #51
BHPian

It's sad to hear about the Sunderkhal incident. Indian forest department needs to do something about the increasing man animal-other animals conflicts. Why is the Tiger treated as a villain when it's us humans who have encroached on its territory.

OT:
Quote:

sudev,

I remember reading your post in a thread in which you mentioned that you carry a steel rod for unforeseen (defensive) emergencies; also that if the cops get curious about it you reason that it is to lift the jack to make the lift easier.
I might be wrong but I think it's gd1418 sir who fools the cops regarding the actual purpose of the rod.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 17:12   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
It's sad to hear about the Sunderkhal incident. Indian forest department needs to do something about the increasing man animal-other animals conflicts. Why is the Tiger treated as a villain when it's us humans who have encroached on its territory.

OT:

I might be wrong but I think it's gd1418 sir who fools the cops regarding the actual purpose of the rod.
>>>

I can't agree with you more. Increased populations, lack of alternate incomes ( very rudimentary agri-businesses), subdivision of land holdings all play a part in the encroachment by humans. If we and the government can let the world's denizens alone, the citizens will be better off too.

I stand corrected then, credit to gd1418!

Regards, drive safe
Old 20th March 2011, 18:27   #53
BHPian

>>>

After an unplanned interregnum, hope to re-start the travelogue this week.

Regards, drive safe
Old 18th March 2012, 19:16   #54
BHPian

Hi All,
I plan to do a Mumbai - Corbett trip with the itenary as below.
20th APRIL : DAY 1: MUMBAI INDORE-
21th APRIL : DAY 2: AROUND INDORE SIGHTSEEING.
22th APRIL : DAY 3: INDORE AGRA
23th APRIL : DAY 4: AGRA SIGHTSEEING
24th APRIL : DAY 5: AGRA CORBETT
25th APRIL : DAY 6: CORBETT
26th APRIL : DAY 7: CORBETT
27th APRIL : Day 8: CORBETT
28TH APRIL: DAY 10: CORBETT GWALIOR.
29TH APRIL: DAY 10: AROUND GWALIOR SIGHTSEEING
30TH APRIL: DAY 11: GWALIOR INDORE
1st MAY: DAY 12: INDORE MUMBAI

My query is whether this route and distances planned by me is fine (although the alternate route in this thread. Mumbai - Udaipur - Delhi - Corbett would be better) as I would be able to cover parts of M.P. via this route.
On my return route I would prefer suggestions on a suitable place for night halt between Gwalior and Mumbai as alternative to Indore where I will be halting on my forward journey.
I have earlier done Mumbai - Udaipur once and Mumbai - Manipal several times during a days drive with a 4:30 am start and reaching the destination by 06:30 pm.
My steed will be the Tata Safari and will be accompanied by my wife and two kids aged 12 and 8.
I would prefer driving between 09:00 am and 06:30 pm on all days with a strong reluctance for night driving on unknown roads.
I would like suggestions on medium budget stay options in Indore, Gwalior ,Agra and Corbett.
Any suggestions on must see areas around Gwalior and Indore are most welcome.
Any updates on the present road condition on this route are also welcome.
DDDHRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 19:43   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Hi All,
I plan to do a Mumbai - Corbett trip with the itenary as below.
20th APRIL : DAY 1: MUMBAI – INDORE-
21th APRIL : DAY 2: AROUND INDORE SIGHTSEEING.
22th APRIL : DAY 3: INDORE – AGRA
23th APRIL : DAY 4: AGRA SIGHTSEEING
24th APRIL : DAY 5: AGRA – CORBETT
25th APRIL : DAY 6: CORBETT
26th APRIL : DAY 7: CORBETT
27th APRIL : Day 8: CORBETT
28TH APRIL: DAY 10: CORBETT – GWALIOR.
29TH APRIL: DAY 10: AROUND GWALIOR SIGHTSEEING
30TH APRIL: DAY 11: GWALIOR – INDORE
1st MAY: DAY 12: INDORE – MUMBAI

My query is whether this route and distances planned by me is fine (although the alternate route in this thread. Mumbai - Udaipur - Delhi - Corbett would be better) as I would be able to cover parts of M.P. via this route.
On my return route I would prefer suggestions on a suitable place for night halt between Gwalior and Mumbai as alternative to Indore where I will be halting on my forward journey.
I have earlier done Mumbai - Udaipur once and Mumbai - Manipal several times during a days drive with a 4:30 am start and reaching the destination by 06:30 pm.
My steed will be the Tata Safari and will be accompanied by my wife and two kids aged 12 and 8.
I would prefer driving between 09:00 am and 06:30 pm on all days with a strong reluctance for night driving on unknown roads.
I would like suggestions on medium budget stay options in Indore, Gwalior ,Agra and Corbett.
Any suggestions on must see areas around Gwalior and Indore are most welcome.
Any updates on the present road condition on this route are also welcome.
>>>

DDDHRUV,

Re. Corbett, you have chosen a period of the year when the possibility of sightings of big game (tiger, elephant, crocodile) will be highest because the heat will draw these magnificent creatures to watering holes (which will start to shrink and dry because of the heat). The resort where I stayed in Corbett and which arranged the safari was good; if I go to Corbett again and I hope I will soon, I will be staying there again.

I think hvk, gd1418 and sudev will be able to advice you best about your proposed route and distance/road & traffic conditions.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 18th March 2012 at 19:45.
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2012, 23:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
>>>

DDDHRUV,

Re. Corbett, you have chosen a period of the year when the possibility of sightings of big game (tiger, elephant, crocodile) will be highest because the heat will draw these magnificent creatures to watering holes (which will start to shrink and dry because of the heat). The resort where I stayed in Corbett and which arranged the safari was good; if I go to Corbett again and I hope I will soon, I will be staying there again.

I think hvk, gd1418 and sudev will be able to advice you best about your proposed route and distance/road & traffic conditions.

Regards
Thanks. That specific reason coupled with the summer vacation of kids has made me plan the dates accordingly.
I am eagerly awaiting valuable feedback from the legendary HVK, wildlife (tiger) lover gd1418 and the route expert up north sudev.
For our stay in corbett I too have been narrowing down to Tiger Camp, Dhikuli. I have received a quote for the stay from Mr. Mohit Agarwal of Asian Adventures. New Delhi for my enquiry sent to tiger camp. Are the bookings to be routed through them only ??
Is it advisable to plan one of the safari's in corbett on elephant back to provide some novelty to my the city bred kids.
Finally I would like to have your view on my stopover(night halt) on the return leg between Gwalior and Mumbai.
DDDHRUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2012, 11:37   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDHRUV View Post
Thanks. That specific reason coupled with the summer vacation of kids has made me plan the dates accordingly.
I am eagerly awaiting valuable feedback from the legendary HVK, wildlife (tiger) lover gd1418 and the route expert up north sudev.
For our stay in corbett I too have been narrowing down to Tiger Camp, Dhikuli. I have received a quote for the stay from Mr. Mohit Agarwal of Asian Adventures. New Delhi for my enquiry sent to tiger camp. Are the bookings to be routed through them only ??
Is it advisable to plan one of the safari's in corbett on elephant back to provide some novelty to my the city bred kids.
Finally I would like to have your view on my stopover(night halt) on the return leg between Gwalior and Mumbai.
>>>

DDRHRUV,

My point by point responses:

1. I do not have info. on Mr Agarwal; I communicated with a local wildlife expert Mr. Sumanta Ghosh for Tiger Camp. If you wish you might like to contact him at +91 9719243939/Vanghat@gmail.com. Apart from being extremely sensitive and knowledge-able about the environment, he helps the local villagers for adjusting their lives in the vicinity of CTR; he owns a bungalow of sorts on the northern perimeter of CTR which I think he also lets out.

2. Since you are spending three days in Corbett an elephant ride is a good idea; the only point is you might not be able to follow a tiger ( at a discreet/safe distance naturally) for too long because the pachyderm is slow as compared to a jeep/Gypsy, assuming the tiger is following a trail and does not disappear quickly in the undergrowth. Overall an elephant ride is a good idea due to its novelty.

3. Re. your Gwalior -Indore - Mumbai run, I might not be able to add much value by way of specific information as I have not driven on that section. Google Maps tells me that Gwalior - Indore is possible through three routes, as follows :
i. by NH3 direct : 497 kms
ii. by NH3 & SH27 : Gwalior - MItthanpur -Ujjain - Indore : 582 kms
iii. by SH27 : Gwalior -Sesai Buzurg -Jhalawar -Ujjain-Indore : 580 kms

Indore - Mumbai is by NH3 through Dhule and Nashik : 584 kms

For both these sections, I am sure hvk will have options as I suspect that the state of the roads may not be perfect (basing on travelogues of t-bhpians earlier) and Google Maps may not be correct. Best to ask his opinion on the latest situation on the ground.

* Sorry missed your point on the alternative route that you wanted, instead of Gwalior-Indore-Mumbai. Let me answer your query about sightseeing options between Gwalior and Indore : Shivpuri, the summer/hill resort of the Scindias - secluded & quiet; Ujjain - architecture sightseeing & pilgrimage.

Coming to the alternative route, the easiest that comes to mind is :
1. Gwalior - Shivpuri (NH3)- Sesai Buzurg -Kota (NH76) : 346 kms
2. Kota - Chittorgarh (NH76) :168 kms ( if you have not done Chittorgarh, then this could be a splendid sightseeing option)
3. After that it is the magnificent roads of Rajasthan and Gujarat back home.

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 19th March 2012 at 11:51. Reason: Added points
issigonis is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote