Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 18:02   #136
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 881
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Sirji Great snaps. The tigers seem to love posing for you. The romance of the king and his queen unfolding in front of you was an icing on the cake. Amazed at your love and interest towards wild life too.

But tell me one thing in all these visits did you ever feel that the authorities are probably overdoing it slightly. I mean on many occasions I am surprised to see the number of Gypsies around in the photographs. Actually how much do you think is too much? Should there be some sort of restriction imposed on number of visitors to the park, or is there already something like that in place?

I have read that Tigers and Lions tend to consider the whole car as one entity and cant really figure out humans sitting inside it as separate. Thats what enables open Gypsies being used for these safaries without them being attacked. Do you think its a matter of time till they adapt and start posing issues for people in open gypsies?

Sorry if its OT

Cheers

Last edited by vibbs : 4th July 2012 at 18:04.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 18:21   #137
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 672
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Sirji Great snaps. The tigers seem to love posing for you. The romance of the king and his queen unfolding in front of you was an icing on the cake. Amazed at your love and interest towards wild life too.

But tell me one thing in all these visits did you ever feel that the authorities are probably overdoing it slightly. I mean on many occasions I am surprised to see the number of Gypsies around in the photographs. Actually how much do you think is too much? Should there be some sort of restriction imposed on number of visitors to the park, or is there already something like that in place?

I have read that Tigers and Lions tend to consider the whole car as one entity and cant really figure out humans sitting inside it as separate. Thats what enables open Gypsies being used for these safaries without them being attacked. Do you think its a matter of time till they adapt and start posing issues for people in open gypsies?

Sorry if its OT

Cheers
WEll - in every jungle there is a restriction on the number of vehicles/tourists that are allowed in. Also, typically in a jungle where you have different zones/gates there is even a restriction in the number of vehicles for each zone/gate.

When we see a lot of vehicles sorrounding wild life in the pictures - it is due to the fact that when there is a sighting, everyone who is in that area would get word of it and go to see it.

Also - in mu opinion pictures do tend to "show" more than what it is. Even if you have 3 or 4 gypsies but because you are focussing on the animal, the area covered by the gypsies looks to be bigger in comparison and hence the feeling.

The authorities even mandate the minimum distance to be maintained while viewing the animals.

Coming to the animals posing threat to people in open gypsys - i fear for the reverse.

With the tigers (especially the cubs - that see gypsys from the time they are born) becoming habitual to the presence of gyspys - will there be more threat towards them by poachers? as they will not be as shy as their previous generations?

But then - wildlife tourism of this nature has been flourishing in Africa for a far larger period and there is no real harm due to it. So - i guess maintaining basic rules/etiquettes will help. Also remember that more the number of tourists - more eyes and ears for maintaining vigilance. A fact borne out by flourishing tiger population in Tadoba. Tadoba does not close even in Monsoons.

P.S:- This is strictly my opinion, and i dont want to hurt anyones feelings or get into any debate.
sach.sri is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 19:47   #138
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 881
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post
WEll - in every jungle there is a restriction on the number of vehicles/tourists that are allowed in. Also, typically in a jungle where you have different zones/gates there is even a restriction in the number of vehicles for each zone/gate.
Thanks Sach.sri. Its been some time since I visited a wild life reserve. We as a country have this tendency to over commercialize everything too much thats why i asked. But since you do visit these places more often, and since as per you, they do have restrictions in place, my doubt stands cleared.

I totally agree with you on the point of more eyes means more vigilance. I hope a day comes when these magnificent creatures can roam in our forests without the fear of being poached upon for their bones and skins. Also on the point of cubs being more accommodating towards the gypsies and thus being not the secretive self of previous generations looks quite a possible scenario.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 20:33   #139
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Thank you Vibbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

Sirji Great snaps. The tigers seem to love posing for you. The romance of the king and his queen unfolding in front of you was an icing on the cake. Amazed at your love and interest towards wild life too.
You have to understand that wildlife tourism is what is currently the saviour of these magnificent creatures who are endangered. While the concentration of vehicles at one place, when the sighting happens, do appear to be more but in fact it is not so. Tourist zones in forest are spread over a vast area and one round of a zone is almost 10-15 kms and sometimes close to 20 kms. A limited number of vehicles are allowed per zone per trip and it isn't really that crowded.

What happens is that when a sighting happens they inform each other in that zone as transgressing a zone isn't allowed. Then all come to that place for a viewing.

It is here that the real problem starts. We've to educate the tourists to follow some forest rules:

Maintain total silence.

Restrict sudden & jerky body movements.

De-activate flash in P&S cameras.

Unfortunately most tourists don't follow these and create a ruckus. I also blame the guides & drivers who tend to show their preference for the white skin and get aggressive at times.

Till date I've not heard of any attacks by these Big Cats on the jeeps & canters though tusker attacks have been reported. We must understand here that a Tiger is generally wary of the humans and would avoid.

We must enjoy them in their natural habitat without disturbing them. In some sanctuaries like R'bhore, Kanha or B'garh Tigers come quite close to the jeeps while in some like Corbett, Kaziranga or Kabini jeeps maintain a safer distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post

But tell me one thing in all these visits did you ever feel that the authorities are probably overdoing it slightly. I mean on many occasions I am surprised to see the number of Gypsies around in the photographs. Actually how much do you think is too much? Should there be some sort of restriction imposed on number of visitors to the park, or is there already something like that in place?

I have read that Tigers and Lions tend to consider the whole car as one entity and cant really figure out humans sitting inside it as separate. Thats what enables open Gypsies being used for these safaries without them being attacked. Do you think its a matter of time till they adapt and start posing issues for people in open gypsies?
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 15:06   #140
Senior - BHPian
 
mallumowgli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Palakkad/Coimbatore
Posts: 1,101
Thanked: 704 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sach.sri View Post

With the tigers (especially the cubs - that see gypsys from the time they are born) becoming habitual to the presence of gyspys - will there be more threat towards them by poachers? as they will not be as shy as their previous generations?

But then - wildlife tourism of this nature has been flourishing in Africa for a far larger period and there is no real harm due to it. So - i guess maintaining basic rules/etiquettes will help. Also remember that more the number of tourists - more eyes and ears for maintaining vigilance. A fact borne out by flourishing tiger population in Tadoba. Tadoba does not close even in Monsoons.
Though I agree wholeheartedly with you, I would say that it is a sorry state of affairs that we need the tourist's eyes to keep the poachers at bay. This means that the actual forest where the wild have to thrive untouched by humans (core areas inside sanctuary) is actually the most dangerous place for them!!

As per biologist David Quammen all wild animals will ultimately end up being as tame as wild pigeons!!

I find it amusing that people say that a particular animal is bold when it is not afraid of humans and come near them. And tigers, elephants and such others that run away instead of standing their ground and showing their ferocity in front of humans are called cowards. I would say the former are naive and the latter are smart!!
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 17:11   #141
BHPian
 
ExtremeTorque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 379
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Guru Dutt, rated 5*! The pics quality is super sharp. Your TL comes at a time when i started missing my trips to the parks, thanks. And i am sure you are throwing a party somewhere, now that the jinx is broken, and how!!!
ExtremeTorque is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2012, 20:29   #142
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

It indeed is a sorry state of affairs. Lack of motivation, the lure of big money, and to top it all fighting poachers armed to the teeth with just a stick is something that needs to be addressed.

The poaching happens in the core and not in the tourist zone. And many a times the carcass is passed away as a death happened during territorial or mating fight.

The buffer zone inhabitants need to be educated that it is in their interest that the wild animals survive so that tourist come to see them and thus overall revenue is generated. This is what happens in Africa. Poachers are caught & lynched by the residents residing in the forest and outside it.

I've hardly heard of any poaching incident in the African game reserves.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

Though I agree wholeheartedly with you, I would say that it is a sorry state of affairs that we need the tourist's eyes to keep the poachers at bay. This means that the actual forest where the wild have to thrive untouched by humans (core areas inside sanctuary) is actually the most dangerous place for them!!
Thanks buddy. The jinx got broken in May 2012 and was celebrated by visiting again in June..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post

Guru Dutt, rated 5*! The pics quality is super sharp. Your TL comes at a time when i started missing my trips to the parks, thanks. And i am sure you are throwing a party somewhere, now that the jinx is broken, and how!!!

Last edited by gd1418 : 5th July 2012 at 20:30.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 17:25   #143
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Some good news.

19 poachers nabbed in Ranthambhore
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 13:38   #144
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
GD sahab, what is the impact of this decision?

No tourism in core areas of tiger reserves: Supreme Court - The Times of India.

Would be great if you could please share your views. Does it mean that tiger tourism as we know it is over?
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 22:06   #145
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

The impact of this decision is manifold. IMO, the first & the foremost casualty will be the Tigers themselves. Tourists are the eyes & ears and act as a deterrent to poaching. With the tourist inflow curtailed, poachers will have a field day as the forest department is highly understaffed & under-equipped.

Secondly tourism provides employment to many. Unemployed frustrated people take to criminal activity. I can go on and on. This decision shall have a cascading effect on lot many things.

SC erred in not consulting renowned forest experts like Valmik Thapar, Ulhas Karanth etc., before passing the judgement.

As of know Tiger tourism seems to be over. But do not despair. We still have a couple of months to go before the parks open after monsoons. Who knows the judgement may be reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
GD sahab, what is the impact of this decision?

No tourism in core areas of tiger reserves: Supreme Court - The Times of India.

Would be great if you could please share your views. Does it mean that tiger tourism as we know it is over?
gd1418 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:06   #146
BHPian
 
vibbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 881
Thanked: 844 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
IMO, the first & the foremost casualty will be the Tigers themselves. Tourists are the eyes & ears and act as a deterrent to poaching. With the tourist inflow curtailed, poachers will have a field day as the forest department is highly understaffed & under-equipped.
The same things were troubling my mind even. I m surprised at the haste in which the SC sometimes passes its judgement. I hope we get a reversal.

Its all very ideal to say let the tigers live in isolation and all. But thats possible only with a robust system to ensure security to these beasts. As you said with tourists off the forests, poachers will have a field day as it is the department is understaffed. What is required is responsible tourism which could act as a lifeline to the forests and conservation resulting in even vital cash inflow.
vibbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 08:22   #147
BHPian
 
samarjitdhar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Sydney/Kolkata
Posts: 964
Thanked: 476 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
As of know Tiger tourism seems to be over. But do not despair. We still have a couple of months to go before the parks open after monsoons. Who knows the judgement may be reversed.
GD sahab, I noticed that both Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh are missing from the list of states. Is this decision only applicable to the states mentioned here? Maybe both Rajasthan and MP have taken care in clear demarcation of core and buffer areas and if that is the case then those parks should continue with the way they are. Without revenues from tiger tourism, I somewhere feel its the final nail in the coffin and the tigers will become extinct sooner than later. Specially when our neighbor China has some misplaced fascination for tiger body parts to enhance their reprehensible libidos .
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:06   #148
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 672
Thanked: 389 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Africa should act as an example on how responsible tourism with appropriate measures and controls helps in conservation. Wildlife tourism in India is still not at the stage where it is in Africa and still the animals are surviving and thriving.

Infact, if applied correctly tourism can help reduce poaching as people will start making good livelyhood with the tourism industry and hence motivation to turn to poaching will not be there. Today one of the ills of wildlife tourism in India is that the benefits dont get passed onto the local populace as much as they should be.

So if SC really wants to make an impact and aid conservation - this is what they should be addressing. Banning tourism will mean loss of livelyhood to all the people connected to this trade and also to a certain extent loss of Forex for the nation - as foreigners travelling to India for wildlife tourism and to see the tigers will be reduced.

All in all - pretty bad decision. Someone should ask the bench as to what research they did in order to come to this decision? Did they consider the pros and the cons before taking this decision?
sach.sri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 14:27   #149
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

The judgement applies to all Tiger reserves in the country. You should see the parks in Rajasthan & MP and you shall realise that there is no clear demarcation of core & buffer areas. For that matter, this is true for all national parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post

GD sahab, I noticed that both Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh are missing from the list of states. Is this decision only applicable to the states mentioned here? Maybe both Rajasthan and MP have taken care in clear demarcation of core and buffer areas and if that is the case then those parks should continue with the way they are.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 15:21   #150
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 29
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Gurgaon - Ranthambhore - Jodhpur - Gurgaon: Big Cats call again..!

Bad Luck, had booked the Kulgi Nature camp in Dandeli for two nights, got the call from the Forest Department that they have canceled all the bookings and there is complete stop to tourism activities including safari there.

This would have been my first stay in a reserve......
cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gurgaon - Sambhar Lake - Ajmer - Jodhpur - Gurgaon gd1418 Travelogues 37 12th November 2013 20:46
Gurgaon - Jaisalmer - Jodhpur - Bikaner - Gurgaon gd1418 Travelogues 124 11th January 2012 11:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks