Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 12th March 2011, 13:31   #16
BHPian

Default Re: 1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
We were at Zest Danish villa on our trip to ooty too.

This was an assosciate property for Club Mahindra then. 20% discount was on the food, and the bookings from your timeshare. Now ClubMahindra have their own property at Ooty.

Nice pictures. Reminded us about our ooty trip
Danish Villa is now part of Zest Mahindra. Its a new venture from Mahindra group. Provides more value for money as they claim. At some places Mahindra Club and Zest share the resort like in Yercaud.
Funda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 14:23   #17
BHPian

Well as I promised my wife, I had to take the Bangalore route. We headed on the same road we did the previous day. On the way, I see a board which mentioned places and their distances from the point. There was a mention to a place called Glenmorgan, which I had seen the day before as well. And my habbit of taking the road not taken I decided to give it a try. I could not see any vehicles coming from the other direction, I was a bit skeptic. Since I was with my wife, I asked the first jeep driver coming from the other side, what the place is all about. He replied there is a waterfall. After traveling on the for some more distance the forests became denser and still no signs of humans. Pessimism crept into our minds and we started think what if a bear comes, what if our waggy breaks down, we dont even see a dog on the road.

Inspite of all this the two brave souls continued. After all a blackbelt in martial arts was sitting next to me. Jokes apart we continued and after sometime we came across a few workers, who were clearing the roads. we asked them what's glenmorgan all about. they said viewpoint and scenary.

I was worried different versions coming from different people, we still continued further and deeper into the jungle. Once again no signs of life. we were the only souls on road. a journey of 5-6 kms was appearing never ending. Finally I see a concrete board -" Glenmorgan - Photography prohibitted" and boy I tell you what I saw next took my breath away. Cant write more, am breathless you see...enjoy some pictures while catch some breath and start Blabbering again.

1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-084.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-085.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-086.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-087.jpg

Statutory Warning : Dont take my photos for a word. The Places is 100 times more beautiful and serene than what you see in these pics.You got to be there to enjoy it.

As we entered the Estate. We understood its a private tea estate and hence photography was prohibited. Initially I was a bit skeptic about taking photographs but than later captured some as there was no one around. A lady infact offered us to take photographs if we bribed her with Rs 10. It started from 100 and came all the way to 10.

Well Glenmorgan was a place with Tall Pine trees so sun rays dont fall on the road ( near the entrance). The place appears darker than it is. clouds floating on the peaks, tea estates and not a soul around. A perfect place to be when you are on vacation.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-088.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-089.jpg

In search of the elusive waterfall and some fellow humans. If at all there were humans we could hardly see any, except for the man on the scooter.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-090.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-091.jpg

And then we come back to the lake to see if we can take some photographs, if no one was looking at us.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-092.jpg

Continued...
Old 12th March 2011, 16:12   #18
Team-BHP Support

Did you visit the other side of Ooty? viz. Emerald, Avanlanche, Upper Bhavani area? Thanks Laluks, I came to know about these places. The places are amazing!
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 16:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you visit the other side of Ooty? viz. Emerald, Avanlanche, Upper Bhavani area? Thanks Laluks, I came to know about these places. The places are amazing!
I could not visit those places. I had plans of returning via those places but then my wife wanted to see mudumalai. No rush -will see them in the next trip.

Ampere do you have the link where I can follow the places?
Old 12th March 2011, 17:12   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
I could not visit those places. I had plans of returning via those places but then my wife wanted to see mudumalai. No rush -will see them in the next trip.

Ampere do you have the link where I can follow the places?
You can follow info about glennmorgan, avalanche and the like here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...fted-ooty.html (Swifted : Ooty)
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2011, 17:44   #21
Team-BHP Support

As Laluks pointed, that was his log which also set me up. I have been to Ooty umpteen number of times, but still was unaware of these places.

There are quite a few hidden gems like what Laluks mentioned. The good thing that there is much crowd in these places and you can enjoy at full length, with the place only for you and not many folks around.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 11:04   #22
BHPian

So we are at the lake and taking some pictures. I was in no mood to start from there but then the clock was ticking and I had to make a move in order to reach chennai.

So here I present to you the last set of shots from Glenmorgan.

Task for guys reading the travelogue - spot humans in the pics if you can

The Serene Lake
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-093.jpg

Now this is what I hate,why should one dump all this dirt next to such a serene place. Dont feel feel bad about doing such a mean thing? This is a pain for sure. I am not asking for cleaning. I am asking not to pile the filth. Sorry to vent out, but such things turn me off.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-094.jpg

Trying to cover up the mess and take a picture, so that it does not ache me every time I see it.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-095.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-096.jpg1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-097.jpg

And there we meet this uncle and his cute goats on the banks. Uncle was annoyed seeing me take pics, so had to stop shooting, until I went out of his sight.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-098.jpg

Cutie Pie
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-102.jpg

And the waterfall I was looking for as the jeep driver told me - a 3 feet high water fall . But it was a waterfall in true sense - water was falling you see.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-103.jpg

The funde baaz
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-104.jpg

My last shot of Glenmorgan as I headed towards bangalore.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-105.jpg
Old 13th March 2011, 11:07   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As Laluks pointed, that was his log which also set me up. I have been to Ooty umpteen number of times, but still was unaware of these places.

There are quite a few hidden gems like what Laluks mentioned. The good thing that there is much crowd in these places and you can enjoy at full length, with the place only for you and not many folks around.

I saw these places in must see India. They have a huge compilation of places of varying ranges within 600 kms or so. You must go through the collection. Its amazing. I could't make out to many places because I had only 1 day at hand in ooty and I was not in a hurry even then.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:09   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You can follow info about glennmorgan, avalanche and the like here http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...fted-ooty.html (Swifted : Ooty)

Yep..I was looking at all the Travelogues written by you. Each of them is great in its own way. Amazing work. Amazing pictures and easy narration. feels like reading a story.
Old 13th March 2011, 11:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
but this one time I had food at Kebab Korner, its on the way to pykara lake around the corner, next to Bee Museum and the petrol bunk.
No not the Kebab korner
Quote:
We went to the hotel, where we opted for meals. We took Non Veg Meals, which included to side dishes, papad, rice and a choice of fish or chicken gravy. We ordered chilly chicken, fried chicken and fish as well. You can imagine how hungry I was. I never understood the connection, whenever I go on a drive I feel like eating all the time. Well I ate whatever I could eat to the max of my capacity and topped it with some curd rice. You would be surprised if I told you the bill, It was just Rs.173. Aah forgot to mention, it was country chicken that was served, not the regular steroid fed poultry chicken we are used to in cities.
I am asking about this one.
camchennai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2011, 11:26   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
No not the Kebab korner

I am asking about this one.

Ooh This one is at Kotagiri, main road. The hotel name starts with "A" Aashiyana or something. Its in the main market on the turn. There is only 1 turn so you cannot miss it. Its just before the rose garden without roses. At the turn there some closed shops where you can park your car. On your right is the hotel. There is a lane that goes inside. This is the first hotel on the left. The hotel will offer a good view of the valley if you peep from the windows, though there is not much place to stand there.
Old 19th March 2011, 18:11   #27
BHPian

And we start from Glenmorgan. While passing through Paykara falls me and my wife wanted to get down and have a look but then we were running out of time and had to hurry. I was a trying to make it a bit faster and was taking turns on the hill the Cab driver style, so I had to stop for sometime at this beautiful place on the road side so that my wife feels better and then sweared not to change my driving style. It hurts when ur fellow companions are not enjoying the drive, the whole fun is lost. I was back into my smooth driving and my wife felt a lot better. Lesson Learnt: Never haste even when you are running late. Enjoy the views as we relax at the tea estate.

1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-106.jpg

1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-107.jpg

1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-108.jpg

1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-109.jpg

1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-110.jpg

We then enter the Mudumalai forests, where we sight Gajaraj. We stopped by to take a few pictures without getting down from the vehicle. As we moved ahead we came across the road to Masinagudi and then further ahead the forest office and canteen. We stopped to inquire about food. We were redirected to Hotel Tamilnadu, were we did not even get curd rice. The staff there told us noodles would take 30 minutes. From my experience I knew its not wise to try something Non Local in such remote places so we head towards Bandipur.

Mudumalai Forests - expected it to be a lot greener.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-117.jpg
The forest getting ready for the approaching summers. I guess the officials are preparing the firelines before summer.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-118.jpg

Haathi Mere Saathi - Our friend Gaj Raj
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-119.jpg

Hotel Tamilnadu
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-122.jpg

Wifey wanted a Picture- cant say No
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-120.jpg

Infront of the Hotel
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-123.jpg

Blue skies,white clouds and leaf less trees - boy its summer already.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-125.jpg

When we were leaving the Mudumalai forests, we were stopped by the forest guards for some routine inquiry. The guys got messier asking me questions which I did not prefer answering, but then had to get out from there ASAP. Again not wise to mess with them in that lonely place. They demanded Rs.50 bribe. I could have taught them a good lesson, but then troubling my contacts for Rs. 50 is not worth it. I preferred not mess with the pig in the mud and so paid Rs 50 and made my way out. On the way I spotted a few deers.

Dumb Creatures, no wonder they are easy prey to the tiger.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-126.jpg

You need not pose for a photograph, there could be a tiger around stalking at you.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-127.jpg

Run for you life buddy.
1400 kms, 3 Days, 2 Wandering Souls and 1 Amazing Weekend-day2-128.jpg

The jungle was pretty dry without much grrenary. After exiting Bandipur National Park we had our food at "Hotel Bandipur Plaza" if I remember the name correctly. Had Curd rice and pickle and some Gobi manchurian. After the curd rice went inside, it felt like heaven.

We took the state highway to avoid Mysore and joined Chamarajanagar directly. I was under the impression the N would be wide as I had heard a lot about the B'lore Mysore Highway. I had a detailed map but then seeing the pathetic condition of the road I thought I was on wrong track. Finally after a lot of detouring and driving on horrible roads I finally made my way back to mysore and took the Mysore-B'lore road. Its sick with traffic. It was like driving within the city for 150 kms and there are no flyovers on towns and villages. It was late by the time we reached b'lore around 8:00 PM or so. As a rule I avoid driving at night, so I thought it would be wise to pay a visit to my sister for dinner. We landed at her place freshened up and then headed towards Pizza Hut. As always you never get a pizza better than Pizza Hut. Stomach Full I had a good sleep. Had to wake up early and come to Chennai for office.
We started by around 4 AM from bangalore. I thought of taking the bypass, which will put me directly on to the Poonamalee High Road, but then as providence had for me, the road was as chocked as ever. Finally reached home by around 10:00 AM had a quick grab and rushed for office.