Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 21st May 2011, 21:33   #121
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon

GD Sahab,

Great going, I am following your progress every...word to pic., just that I am too caught up with my Jeep build and 4X4 thread sector.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 21:40   #122
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon

Thanks Fazal bhai. I took a breather because Abheek said the pace was too frenetic. I shall visit your jeep build thread once it is over to see the final product..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post

GD Sahab,

Great going, I am following your progress every...word to pic., just that I am too caught up with my Jeep build and 4X4 thread sector.

Regards,
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 11:33   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
19th April, 2011 - Pench - Kanha

Indian Bison or Gaur (Bos guarus) is in reality an ox race found in Kanha.
GD Sir, am not clear about this. Gaur is a bovid alright, but isnt calling it a type of ox a bit too much. I dont think the majestic Gaur will take kindly to be categorized under a group cattle used for common tasks.

Also I thought Gaurs in Kanha and those found in South India (Mudumalai-Bandipur etc) are the same. Or are they different?
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 17:42   #124
Senior - BHPian

I agree mallumowgli that the majestic Gaur may not take very kindly to be categorised under the Ox race but the reality is so.

Please refer to:

Malayan gaur definition of Malayan gaur in the Free Online Encyclopedia.

Cloning of an endangered species (Bos gaurus) usin... [Cloning. 2000] - PubMed result

http://www.wired.com/science/discove.../2001/01/41158

http://www.carnivoraforum.com/index....int&thread=539

Bos gaurus found in India are the same except, that in Kanha they understand Hindi and in Mudumalai/Bandipur they understand Tamil & Kannada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post

GD Sir, am not clear about this. Gaur is a bovid alright, but isnt calling it a type of ox a bit too much. I dont think the majestic Gaur will take kindly to be categorized under a group cattle used for common tasks.

Also I thought Gaurs in Kanha and those found in South India (Mudumalai-Bandipur etc) are the same. Or are they different?

Last edited by gd1418 : 22nd May 2011 at 17:49.
Old 22nd May 2011, 20:39   #125
BHPian

@gd1418: Sir, this has been an engrossing thread. Sighting of Umarpaani tigress with cubs is something which we missed in our trip to Kanha
Avid trekker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 21:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

20th April, 2011 - Morning

Got up as usual at 4 am to get ready as the jeep would come by 5:15. The entry at Khatia Gate would start at 5:45 and being ahead in the que would've been an advantage. Unlike other sanctuaries that I've visited, one thing unique at Kanha was that the guide would sit only on the left at the back row. Rest at all places the guide normally sits in the front seat next to the driver and is flexible. At times I've swapped places with them. But at Kanha the guide would sit only at his allocated place. One more fact about the guides at Kanha - they carried a small sling bag with them. I thought that this probably contained their snacks/lunch packet & water. But what it contained completely took me by surprise. Each guide had a binocular, a Bird identification Book, notepad and a pen/pencil. Nowhere else I had seen this till date. I was impressed.

This was the only safari we would do today because evening safaris across all National Parks/Sanctuaries in Madhya Pradesh have been discontinued on Wednesdays. A weekly half-day leave for the flora & fauna?

Ours was the third jeep to enter and the 2+ km journey to the Kisli gate started. It was 6 am and the area between the Khatia Gate & Kisli was a known leopard area, dawn was just breaking and we strained our eyes to see if anything possible. Well, when human activity starts, then this highly nocturnal & shy Cat is all the more elusive.

Entries done at Kisli, moved ahead and saw this lone Barasingha. His skin looked still wet. Did it rain sometime in the night?

Barasingha

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4827.jpg

Kanha Habitat

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4828.jpg

Hardly a few hundred metres ahead we saw a few jeeps standing and pointing on the right to an open grassland full of lantanas. This area of Kanha is known as Koyala Bhatta, Kanha Meadows. There was a Tiger sitting in the grass with its head visible - only to the guides and not to us. They kept on pointing to some place that of course was at a distance but for me it was all grey grass. Hoping that the fellow would get-up at some point of time we waited with some more jeeps joining the bandwagon.

And then the show started. It was Munna, the second biggest male Tiger of Kanha. Refer to my post #: 53.

Munna (" मुन्ना ") - male Tiger

Unlike Ranthambhore, Sariska, Pench or Bandhavgarh, to name a Tiger or Tigress is not a practice at Kanha. But the guides & drivers sometime give a name that sticks and that particular Cat continues to be called by that name. How this Tiger got this name Munna is an interesting story.

The biggest male at Kanha is called as " नक्कटा " meaning cut-nose. He damaged his nose in a fight and was named thus.

" नक्कटा " & this 2nd biggest male fought over a Tigress and in the process the latter lost & injured his front leg. Till recovery he was sporting a limp. There happened to be a guide in Kanha by the name Munna and he had a limp. In jest, the guides & drivers started calling this limping Tiger as Munna and the name stuck. Looking at Munna's build, strength, grace & power, I wondered how would be " नक्कटा " in appearance?

Let the pictures speak

Walking in the grassland

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4829.jpg

The majestic mane

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4833.jpg

In the above picture he is seen approaching this huge Banyan tree (top left) and in a flash he stood up on his hind legs stretching his body to full height and started sniffing the trunk.

Sniffing the tree

Name:  4837.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  182.1 KB

Moving across

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4852.jpg

In stalking mode

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4858.jpg

Crosses in front of the jeeps and continues staring in a direction

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4865.jpg

A close-up

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4869.jpg

Turns his head and looks at the vehicles If looks could mesmerise & kill - the look mesmerised for sure, but could kill or not, I did not venture to find out

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4874.jpg

The King's Way & the walk

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4878.jpg

Stalking again

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4879.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4880.jpg

The King's Way & the walk Found nothing of interest and walked

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4881.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4882.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4883.jpg

Munna crossed the road and vanished into the bush. We raced across to the other side of the bush in the hope he would emerge after crossing that patch of grassland but it was not to be. He had settled down there for the day. This whole show lasted for full 9 minutes - from 06:45 to 06:54 am.

The guide took us to a water hole somewhere deeper saying that a tigress frequents this place to drink. We parked the jeep and waited.

Waterhole

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4894.jpg

Across the waterhole on a leafless tree the guide pointed to an Eagle. It was the Grey-Headed Fish Eagle. A rarity & and a threatened species.

Grey-Headed Fish Eagle (Ichthyophaga ichthyaetus)

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4887.jpg

After sometime it was joined on another branch by the Little Green Bee-eater (Merops orientalis)

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4888.jpg

And then the Cheetal called in a distance. It called again and this time it seemed to be coming closer. Our eyes wide open and ear perked up we intensely scanned the thick habitat. Nothing. Called again and this time it was quite close. And then there was silence. No calls for the next 15 minutes. It was surmised that the predator, whosoever it was, settled down in a shade near the waterhole.

We roamed further. didn't find much. Saw this congregation of eight Barasinghas sitting in the shade, munching and discussing worldly matters.

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4889.jpg

It was 10:19 and time to move out. On our way out saw this very healthy & magnificent Cheetal Stag on the roadside munching on a juicy stalk. I clicked a few pictures, but after a while he got irritated and stomped his foreleg on the ground and snorted. I got the message, didn't want to disturb him further and exited.

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4891.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4892.jpg

The raised foreleg to stomp on the ground

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4893.jpg

It was hot and sunny. Reached my room, ordered breakfast and had a nice cool shower. The entire day was with us and we had nothing to do. So we decided to catch up on lost sleep. Got up at 7 pm and came out of the room. The weather had changed. It was cloudy and a cool cool breeze was blowing. Across the road I heard some music & drums etc. Wife went to see what it was. The local Gond tribals were putting up a show. By the time I decided to pick my camera and go it was all over.

The next day was going to be my last day & last safari in Kanha. Had a light dinner and went off to bed again...

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 22nd May 2011 at 22:15.
gd1418 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 01:03   #127
BHPian

Hi GD sir

In Pench during my evening safari there was guide who was carrying the sling bag having binoculars , book and all stuff . He was a nice chap . Bablu knows his name as i forgot . May be abheek sir can let us know who was the guy .
Safari_Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:48   #128
Senior - BHPian

GD Sahab,

That is a very nice encounter with this dominant male.
Great coverage, keep it coming.
Regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 13:01   #129
Senior - BHPian

I specially liked the 8 Barasingha's sitting and relaxing photo. Great coverage, waiting for more
deky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:09   #130
BHPian

^^^ +1 to that. Looks like a junglee panchayat!

Great going GD sir. That Cheetal stag looks royally pissed off. And Munna seems to be making sure that he's not messing with the territory of someone else or vice-versa.
lordofgondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:25   #131
Senior - BHPian

We could possibly call it the " अट्ठा सिंघा " panchayat... I could sense that the Cheetal stag was pissed off when he stomped his foreleg and let out a snort.

Male tigers have a territory of 60-100 sq. kms., overlapping the territories of some tigresses in that range. It didn't look though as Munna was tresspassing. His confident, languid walk and I do not care attitude indicated that he was in his home ground.

" नक्कटा ", the biggest male's area is in Mukki zone which is atleast 50 kms away from Kisli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
^^^ +1 to that. Looks like a junglee panchayat!

Great going GD sir. That Cheetal stag looks royally pissed off. And Munna seems to be making sure that he's not messing with the territory of someone else or vice-versa.

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd May 2011 at 16:30.
Old 24th May 2011, 13:13   #132
Senior - BHPian

21st April, 2011 - Kanha - Bhedaghaat (Jabalpur)

Last safari & last day at Kanha. The previous two safaris here were very satisfying. What was in store for us today? Dhaniram with jeep arrived on time, we were ready, loaded the essentials like the camera bag, camera rain cover, binocs & ice-box and off we went.

The guide allotted to us today was a short & stocky man with oriental features. He belonged to the Gond tribe and was a resident of the forest for generations. His village & house was somewhere deep inside the forest that was about 15 kms away from Kisli. Very knowledgeable and an excellant spotter/tracker. Must be in his genes.

When not spotting animals or birds, he regaled us with jungle lore.

Both in Pench & Kanha till now we had only seen female Gaurs. Had a heard a lot about male Gaurs as being the biggest & heaviest of the cattles in the world. Last night while researching about Gaurs on the net I had learnt that though the African bull Cape Buffalo is very aggressive and very dangerous, on a one-to-one combat the male Gaur is unbeatable.

A lone Tiger would generally not venture to attack an adult male Gaur. The guide also told us as how he was a witness to a stand-off between a male Gaur and a male Tiger, some years back, that lasted for hours and ultimately the hungry Tiger had to back out.

And then he whispered "Gaur" and asked Dhaniram to stop. An adolscent male Gaur was crossing out path to join the herd on the right. Though not fully grown, he was huge. Male Gaurs are big have dark black coat, while the female has an even brown coat.

Bos gaurus - Gaur

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4895.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4896.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4897.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4899.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4901.jpg

After the Gaur show we moved further into the forest and on the way met other jeeps coming from other routes. No sounds, no movement and no sighting.

Peaceful Forest

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4902.jpg

The guide suggested that we stop for a while at the refreshment camp / museum complex and also register for the Tiger Show. Now what in the world was a Tiger Show?

99% of the tourists who visit the National Parks, have a single minded agenda - see the Tiger. They normally undertake a safari ranging from minimum 2 to maximum 4. If they are lucky, then they see a Tiger or two in the first safari itself or don't see any even in 4 safaris. They go back disappointed, the guide & driver do not get tipped. It is a vicious commercial circle.

I did back-to-back 6 safaris in Oct 2010 at Ranthambhore in 4 different zones and not a single sighting.

So, the forest department decided to conduct Tiger Show. In this the forest department sends 2 mahout/elephants in the morning to track the Tigers. Once they find the Tiger, that is normally resting/sleeping in a bush they inform via wireless to the baseand keep a watch on the Cat from a distance. The DFO then takes a decision to start the show. To participate in the show the tourists have to pre-register and pay Rs.200/- per head and it is first-come-first-get and are handed a slip. With the slip the tourists in their jeep go to the designated spot where about 5-6 elephants are parked. Each elephant seats 4. These elephants then take the tourists to that spot where the Cat is and have a view.

Tourists happy, Guide happy, Driver happy, Forest Department happy, but the Cat unhappy..

But the thrill of tracking the predator through calls, pug marks and then being able to see in the wild is something that is unmatchable. Tiger Show, IMO is something like seeing a Tiger in the zoo, except that it is uncaged and in the wild.

We reached the complex, registered for the Tiger Show as daughter was very keen (wife opted out), had some refreshment and proceeded to explore the jungle before the show that would start aound 9 am.

The Complex

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4906.jpg

We heard an alarm call of the spotted deer. There was another from a distance and then again and again. Following the direction of the sound we reached an open grassland and saw a jeep standing. Mentally kicked myself for opting for the Tiger Show; here I had a chance to see the Tiger in the wild raoming on its free will.

But it was not a Tiger. On nearing the other jeep was informed that was a female sloth Bear with two cubs. It was at a very great distance. So this was what alarmed the deer. The naked eye could only see a blob of black amongst the greyish lantana grass. The 80~200 lens could show me just an outline and nothing more. How I wish I had a 500mm or a 600mm.

This is the best I could manage.

Female sloth Bear with cubs

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4907.jpg

Perspective shot with the alarmed Cheetal in the foreground bottom left

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4907a.jpg

Attempted close-up by cropping

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4908.jpg

A rustle of the branches above made me look baove and spotted this Little Green Bee Eater perched high. As it was against the sky, only a silhoutte was possible.

Little Green Bee Eater - silhoutte

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4909.jpg

It was time for the Tiger Show. We reached the spot where the Cat had been spotted resting and elephants were already on the job.

Elephants ferrying tourists for the Tiger Show

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4910.jpg

Our turn came and first the daughter climbed the elephant with the help of a ladder and then I climbed.

Gauri on the elephant with the mahout

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4922.jpg

We reached the spot where the Tiger was resting. It was a sub-adult cub. It was the 18 month old female cub of the Umarpaani Tigress. What intrigued me was why was she alone and not with her mother. Two days back I had seen the Umarpaani Tigress with her male cub. At that time I was told that the Tigress had made a kill previous night and they both were eating it. Why was the female cub not a part of it?

The guide then informed that the male cub was quite aggressive and has been pushing the sister out of the scene. Yesterday evening (20th April) when the park was closed for the visitors, the male & the female cubs had a vicious fight over a kill and the sister was slightly injured and chased out. Hence she was recuperating and resting here in the shade.

I felt a little bit bad for her but that's the way of the jungle.

18 month old female cub of the Umarpaani Tigress

Have a look at the injury mark on her stomach area sustained in the fight

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4911.jpg

Tired but watching the commotion

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4912.jpg

Name:  4912a.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  93.1 KB

Injury mark - probably caused by the claw

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4921.jpg

10 minutes was what each tourist got. Returned and dismounted the elephant. While walking towards our jeep a slight movement in the bush caught the corner of my eye. There amidst some leaves this reptile was warming its cold-blood in the sun.

Rushed to the jeep, changed my 80~200 lens to Micro Nikkor 105mm f.2.8 and creeped slowly towards this reptile. When I had seen before it was brown and as I neared changed colour; the head became orangish.

Chameleon

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4925.jpg

The fellow vanished as I moved a bit more closer to get a better shot. It was also dangerous to stay on the jungle floor for long and it was also time to move out.

Saw this full grown termite-hill for the first time. Though there were termite hills in Bandhavgarh, Pench & in Kanha, they were all very small and looked like small mounds on the ground, unlike some huge ones that I had seen in Corbett, Rajaji or Ranthambhore. The guide explained that as the composition of the forest ground is sandy, these termite-hills don't gain much height as they crumble down either in rains or when the deer rub their antlers against them or by other natural causes.

Termite Hill

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4924.jpg

Reached hotel room, thanked the guide & Dhaniram and prepared to leave. While sipping coffee, saw this very colourful insect exploring an abandoned mud-nest of a wasp. Grabbed my camera and clicked some close-ups. To me it looked like a Green Wasp. Could somebody identify this please?

Green Wasp

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4934.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4935.jpg

My extensive tour of the three major National Parks of Madhya Pradesh was over and it was very very satisfying.

Score: 12 safaris in total in 3 National Parks & 5 Tiger sightings. Not bad at all.

I was longing for more. But my holidays too were going to be over on 24th April. I wanted to reach home by 23rd so that it would give me the entire Sunday to rest and recover. Though unplanned and not accounted for, I made a decision of visiting Bhedaghat as I had to go via Jabalpur, to see the fabled marble rocks and the Dhuadhar Falls reputed to be one of the most majestic and almost Niagara like after the Chitrakote Falls in Chattisgarh.

Plotted the route on mapmyindia.com and came up with this map.

Kanha to Bhedaghat

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-kanhabheda.jpg

The owner of Motel Chandan, Dinesh came to ask me about my experience. I wasn't miserly in my compliments. In the course of conversation when he got to know that I was headed towards Bhedaghat and did not have any advanced bookings, he offered me an Ac room in his friend's hotel there. I jumped at it and Dinesh made a phone call to his friend and the booking was done and he got me a discounted price as well..!!

The family had a heavy breakfast, loaded the luggage, settled the motel's extra bills, thanked Dinesh & Satish and left for Jabalpur. It was 12:30 pm and Bhedaghat was 215 kms away. If nothing untoward happened, I expected to be there latest by 5 pm.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 24th May 2011 at 13:23.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:06   #133
Senior - BHPian

OT, but couldn't resist saying that my vehicle is christened after the Bos Gaurus. I call it Bison (an incorrect name) since 'Gaur' doesn't sound all that impressive (reminds me of Bengalis who are named Gaur - not exactly the beefy, muscular types, if you get what I mean). The naming happened after a few interesting encounters with Gaurs in the Nilgiri forests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I agree mallumowgli that the majestic Gaur may not take very kindly to be categorised under the Ox race but the reality is so.

Bos gaurus found in India are the same except, that in Kanha they understand Hindi and in Mudumalai/Bandipur they understand Tamil & Kannada...
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2011, 17:32   #134
Senior - BHPian

21st April, 2011 - Bhedaghaat (Jabalpur)

Left Motel Chandan, Kanha at 1 pm and after driving through the buffer forest, ghat section, flat plains and encountering some drizzle en route, reached Jabalpur via Mandla. Passing the cantonment area lost way and entered the fringes of the city. Saw a police jeep, overtook & stopped them and asked them for directions to Bhedaghat. The driver asked me to follow him and after driving through some winding roads and turning left & then right he stopped and showed me a board that read Bhedaghat - 20 Kms. The arrow pointed straight.

Thanked him profusely and proceeded. After some distance the road appeared familiar. It was the Jabalpur-Nagpur road that I had traversed on 15th April on my way from Bandhavgarh to Pench - refer to post #: 92 para #: 3.

Driving on this road reached a junction where a board read Dhuandhar Falls - 5 kms and the arrow pointed left. Took the left turn, reached a barrier where the toll was paid and moved ahead. The road led into a small village lined with shops selling various idols of Indian God & Goddesses of various sizes carved in marble. An interesting fact was that the "Shiv ling" idols outnumbered that of other deities.

The name of the hotel that we were booked in was Hotel Riverview. Found the Hotel on my right, checked about my booking from the reception and after getting a confirmation parked the car and had the luggage sent to the room. The room was airconditioned, spacious and offered a great view of the Narmada River. The bathroom was very small & cramped. It was 5:30 pm.

(images downloaded from net)

Hotel River View, Bhedaghat

Name:  Riverview.GIF
Views: 1115
Size:  26.6 KB

Reception

Name:  reception.gif
Views: 1033
Size:  22.8 KB

My Room

The small cubicle behind the almirah is the bathroom...!!

Name:  Myroom.gif
Views: 1081
Size:  23.6 KB

Ordered for some hot beverages & snacks and while waiting for the order to arrive, opened the door of the balcony and saw this spectacular view.

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4945.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4946.jpg

Watched TV, caught up on the daily news, made mental plans of finishing off the Bhedaghat sightseeing by noon the next day and then head home. Had dinner and went off to bed lulled into a deep slumber by the sound of the flowing Narmada. नमामि देवी नर्मदे

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 29th May 2011 at 17:35.
Old 29th May 2011, 18:57   #135
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Gurgaon - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Jabalpur - Gurgaon

22nd April, 2011 - Bhedaghaat (Jabalpur)

The previous night I had asked the receptionist the time it would take to do the sightseeing of Bhedaghat. He told me that boating on Narmada t see the marble rocks would take the maximum - 2 hrs. The rest would take about 2 hours or less depending upon us on the time we would take.

It meant that if we left our room at 8 in the morning, we could finish by 12 noon.

Got up in the morning by 6 am and went out in the balcony to have a view of the riverfront. This is what I saw down below near the banks of Narmada at the hotel footsteps.

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4947.jpg

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4948.jpg

Were ready by 8 after having a vegetarian breakfast. Why vegetarian? First of all, we were going to the almost 1200 year old " चौसंठ योगिनी मंदिर " and secondly barring the MPTDC's Motel Marble Rocks, none of the private hoteliers served non-veg due to reverence to Devi Narmada.

Our first destination was the temple.

चौसंठ योगिनी मंदिर

Dedicated to Lord Shiva & his consort Devi Parvati, this temple was built in the 10th century AD by the Kalchuri dynasty. This is the only temple where Lord Shiva is seen seated on Nandi along with his consort Devi Parvati.

About hundred and fifty steps lead to the complex which dates back to 1000 AD.

Steps to nirvana

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4949.jpg

The courtyard offers panoramic view of the gorge at River Narmada and the surrounding landscape. The temple complex is an open sky circular courtyard atop a hill, offering a magnificent view of the Narmada River flowing beneath.

Situated in the centre of the courtyard is the Lord Shiva temple. The Hoya 77 mm CPL on my 24~70 f/2.8 was doing wonders..

The main Temple

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4953.jpg

Surrounding in circular fashion is a row of idols of attendants of Goddess Durga called Yoginis. There are in total sixty four statues, hence the name चौसंठ योगिनी मंदिर, but most of them have been disfigured. The lava stone idols were plundered and disfigured by Moghul invaders. The idols of Yoginis are exquisitely carved and exhibit marvelous iconography in spite of being disfigured by the Moghul invaders.

The Gond Rulers of Central India were regular visitors to the complex during their rule. An inscription commemorating the visit of Gond Queen Durgavati can be seen in the sanctorum.

After paying obeisance to Lord Shiva & Devi Parvati, we climbed down and walked towards the ghat area from where the boating would commence. Saw this colourful temple that was next to our hotel. The Sun had illuminated this temple and I couldn't resist taking a photograph.

Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon-4961.jpg

We walked past our hotel to the boating ghat that was about 200 mtrs away.

to be continued.../-

Last edited by gd1418 : 29th May 2011 at 19:08.