Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 3rd March 2011, 21:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon

Making plans to visit in April. The route I would take is - Gurgaon - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Jabalpur - Mandla.

I'm thinking of leaving around 4 am and reach Gwalior by 10. Do sightseeing in Gwalior (need help & info) and then leave for Jhansi. Break journey at Jhansi. Spend the next day sightseeing Jhansi (need help & info). next day leave for Kanha and hope to reach by evening (depending on the road conditions).

Two full days at Kanha (3 nights) and then leave for Bandhavgarh. Again two full days at Bandhavgarh.

Return journey to Gurgaon. I'm a budget traveller, prefer decent accommodation (clean & hygienic bathroom must) but not expensive. Family prefers to stay in one room only with extra bed as the days would be spent sightseeing. Need input on places to stay & eat in Gwalior & Jhansi.

Looking forward to details, road conditions, safety etc.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2011, 23:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon

Why not Khajuraho? I would prefer that to Jhansi.

Gwalior has the fort and palace. Jhansi is just 3 hours away. Road to Jhansi is being widened.

If staying at Jhansi, Hotel Sita is good, I am told.
Instead of Jhansi, why not stay at Orchcha, which is close by.

From Jhansi, you have the option of going via Lalitpur & Sagar to Jabalpur (not so great roads) or via Chhatarpur & Katni (god roads). But since you are also going to Bandhavgarh, maybe it is a better idea to return that way.

Road from Jabalpur to Kanha has some bad sections.

Hotels in Kanha & Bandhavgarh are super-expensive, I thought!
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 10:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Gurgaon - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha - Bhedaghat - Gurgaon

More details and reasons why I should stay at khajuraho or orchha that are some hunders kms away and not on the route.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why not Khajuraho? I would prefer that to Jhansi.

Gwalior has the fort and palace. Jhansi is just 3 hours away. Road to Jhansi is being widened.

If staying at Jhansi, Hotel Sita is good, I am told.
Instead of Jhansi, why not stay at Orchcha, which is close by.

From Jhansi, you have the option of going via Lalitpur & Sagar to Jabalpur (not so great roads) or via Chhatarpur & Katni (god roads). But since you are also going to Bandhavgarh, maybe it is a better idea to return that way.

Road from Jabalpur to Kanha has some bad sections.

Hotels in Kanha & Bandhavgarh are super-expensive, I thought!
Old 4th March 2011, 11:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

The appropriate route for your circuit is as follows:
Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Orchcha-Lalitpur-Sagar-Suatala-Jabalpur-Mandala-Kanha-Mandala-Jabalpur-Katni-Umariya-Bandhavgarh-Umariya-Katni-Sahnagar-Amanganj-Panna-Bamita-Khajuraho (10 kms off your route)-Bamita-Chhatarpur-Jhansi-Gwalior-Agra-Delhi.

The Jhansi-Sagar-Laknadon route is still under construction and there are some completed 4-lane sectiosn and some bad sections too. YOu intersect the Bhopal-Jabalpur NH12 at Suatala, which is a better option to go via Damoh to Jabalpur. That way, you can also drop in at Beda ghat which is 10 kms off NH12 just before you intersect NH7 at Jabalpur.

The route from Katni to Panna is a lovely road. As you can see, Khajuraho is on the way.
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 11:35   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
More details and reasons why I should stay at khajuraho or orchha that are some hunders kms away and not on the route.

>>>
gd1418,

Specifically re. Orchha, it is a mere 18.2 kms ( as per Google Maps) and 15 kms ( as per Wiki).

Orchha has some fabulous examples of medieval architecture, constructed by its Bundela kings. The Orchha fort stands next to the Betwa river and has the Rajmandir and the Jahangir Mahal. Then you have the cenotaphs (chhatris) along the Betwa. I remember that MPTDC has a neat hotel inside the fort, but this you have to crosscheck with the MPTDC.

Its not a bridge too far, if architecture tickles you.

As to Khajuraho as stated by hvk, nuff said!

Your plan is superb - if only I had been around in April, I would have loved to link up from Bombay. A Bombay - Orchha - Khajuraho-Kanha -Bandhavgarh trip is what I'd like to do (someday, sigh).

Regards, have a wonderful expedition
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 12:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Delhi-Agra-Gwalior-Jhansi-Orchcha-Lalitpur-Sagar-Suatala-Jabalpur-Mandala-Kanha-Mandala-Jabalpur-Katni-Umariya-Bandhavgarh-Umariya-Katni-Sahnagar-Amanganj-Panna-Bamita-Khajuraho (10 kms off your route)-Bamita-Chhatarpur-Jhansi-Gwalior-Agra-Delhi.

The Jhansi-Sagar-Laknadon route is still under construction and there are some completed 4-lane sectiosn and some bad sections too. YOu intersect the Bhopal-Jabalpur NH12 at Suatala, which is a better option to go via Damoh to Jabalpur. That way, you can also drop in at Beda ghat which is 10 kms off NH12 just before you intersect NH7 at Jabalpur.

The route from Katni to Panna is a lovely road. As you can see, Khajuraho is on the way.
I agree on this route. Also, on the way out, you could take a 4-hour break at Gwalior to sight-see, then carry on to Orchha to reach before dark. You'll surely enjoy Orchha (a photographer's delight) a lot more than staying at Jhansi.

Orchha fort & palace

Name:  Orchha fort.jpg
Views: 9529
Size:  67.9 KB

Stopping over at Bheraghat for a night is also a good idea. MP Tourism's Motel marble Rocks is not too expensive, and located very desirably.

Completed this circuit in 2007.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 12:42   #7
Senior - BHPian

While you all make it more delicious by adding Orchcha, Bedaghat & khajuraho onto the circuit, doesn't it increase the kms and the expenses?

My original planned route

Name:  ggndamohkanha.JPG
Views: 10624
Size:  129.5 KB

As suggested by you all

Name:  ggnsagarkanha.JPG
Views: 7546
Size:  114.0 KB

The difference is there to see. I require a detailed logistics included with the approximate cost. That shall help me plan better.

Thanks.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
gd1418,

Specifically re. Orchha, it is a mere 18.2 kms ( as per Google Maps) and 15 kms ( as per Wiki).

Orchha has some fabulous examples of medieval architecture, constructed by its Bundela kings. The Orchha fort stands next to the Betwa river and has the Rajmandir and the Jahangir Mahal. Then you have the cenotaphs (chhatris) along the Betwa. I remember that MPTDC has a neat hotel inside the fort, but this you have to crosscheck with the MPTDC.

Its not a bridge too far, if architecture tickles you.

As to Khajuraho as stated by hvk, nuff said!

Your plan is superb - if only I had been around in April, I would have loved to link up from Bombay. A Bombay - Orchha - Khajuraho-Kanha -Bandhavgarh trip is what I'd like to do (someday, sigh).

Regards, have a wonderful expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I agree on this route. Also, on the way out, you could take a 4-hour break at Gwalior to sight-see, then carry on to Orchha to reach before dark. You'll surely enjoy Orchha (a photographer's delight) a lot more than staying at Jhansi.

Orchha fort & palace
Attachment 511129

Stopping over at Bheraghat for a night is also a good idea. MP Tourism's Motel marble Rocks is not too expensive, and located very desirably.

Completed this circuit in 2007.
Old 4th March 2011, 13:04   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
While you all make it more delicious by adding Orchcha, Bedaghat & khajuraho onto the circuit, doesn't it increase the kms and the expenses?
The difference is there to see.
76 km! Guru-ji, you're cribbing about an extra 76 km??? When did this chamatkaar happen?
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 20:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

No chamatkaar at all Doc. Destinations are being added and deleted, hence the worry.

Things have started taking some shape a bit. Generally what has emerged is (with some gentle persuasion from Abheek) as follows:

Gurgaon - Gwalior - Jhansi - Khajuraho - Bandhavgarh - Pench - Kanha and back via Jabalpur visiting Dhuadhar.

Wife's childhood friend stays in Hoshangabad. Hope she doesn't insist...The fact that she is geographically challenged, helps quite a bit.. But there is something called the Woman's instinct, that even God couldn't understand.
Old 10th March 2011, 20:59   #10
BHPian

Great! So you are doing all the top Tiger reserves one after the other. It was mighty unlucky that you did not see the elusive big cat at Ranthambhore but fear not, Bandhavgarh will no disappoint and you have to be the unluckiest person on earth not to see a tiger there. Eagerly waiting for your photos. MP tourism run Bagheera log huts at Kanha and white tiger resort at Bandhavgarh are really good places to stay with nice rooms and excellent food. If you are a birder white tiger resort at bandhavgarh is paradise.

Last edited by SPARKled : 10th March 2011 at 21:03.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2011, 21:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

Am planning to. Might not get another chance later. And thanks for that lodging info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Great! So you are doing all the top Tiger reserves one after the other. It was mighty unlucky that you did not see the elusive big cat at Ranthambhore but fear not, Bandhavgarh will no disappoint and you have to be the unluckiest person on earth not to see a tiger there. Eagerly waiting for your photos. MP tourism run Bagheera log huts at Kanha and white tiger resort at Bandhavgarh are really good places to stay with nice rooms and excellent food. If you are a birder white tiger resort at bandhavgarh is paradise.
Old 11th March 2011, 07:13   #12
BHPian

GD1418

I'll also be leaving Delhi most probably 23/4/11 for my return journey to Bangalore via Gwalior-Jhansi-Khajuraho-Bandhavgarh and will be staying at Bandhavgarh for 3 nights taking a total of 6 safaris.

If your plan happens to be during these dates, then we can start together from Delhi.

PM me if interested I'll send you my contact details.

One of my friend who is well versed with Bandhavgarh / Kanha and winner of several international and national awards in Widlife hotography will make arrangements.

Last edited by micrographics : 11th March 2011 at 07:14.
micrographics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 10:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Micro, but the date on which you plan to leave Delhi for B'lore is the date when I would be returning back..

My window is between 12th & 23rd of April..

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrographics View Post
GD1418

I'll also be leaving Delhi most probably 23/4/11 for my return journey to Bangalore via Gwalior-Jhansi-Khajuraho-Bandhavgarh and will be staying at Bandhavgarh for 3 nights taking a total of 6 safaris.

If your plan happens to be during these dates, then we can start together from Delhi.

PM me if interested I'll send you my contact details.

One of my friend who is well versed with Bandhavgarh / Kanha and winner of several international and national awards in Widlife hotography will make arrangements.
Old 15th March 2011, 22:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

My plans are now more or less finalised. The route that I have chosen to take is as follows:

Gurgaon - Agra - Gwalior - Jhansi - Chatarpur - Khajuraho (night halt) - Bandhavgarh (halt & 3 safaris) - Pench (halt & 6 safaris) - Kanha (halt & 3 safaris) - Jabalpur (may halt) - Tikamgarh - Jhansi - Gwalior - Agra - Gurgaon

Departure date: 12th April, 2011
Old 30th March 2011, 13:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

All finalised. All bookings done and paid for. Itinerary as below:

PAX: Wife, Daughter & I. Tentative: Son

Mode of Transport: 2004 Scorpio GLx. Odo reading: 1,34000 Kms

Driven only by me...

Departure Date: 12th April, 2011 - ETD: 02:00 hrs.

600 odd kms.

ETA Kahjuraho: Sometime in the evening. Hope to catch the sound & light show at 19:30

Overnight stay at MPTDC's Hotel Payal

ETD Kahjuraho: Around 12 noon on 13th Apr, 2011

230 odd kms.

ETA Bandhavgarh: Sometime in the evening

Stay at Kolkata Kutir

Gypsy safari on 14th Morning/Evening & 15th Morning

ETD Bandhavgarh: Around 12 noon on 15th Apr, 2011

400 odd kms.

ETA Pench: Sometime in the evening

Stay at Bagheera Retreat

Gypsy safari on 16th Morning/Evening, 17th Morning/Evening & 18th Morning

ETD Pench: Around 12 noon on 18th Apr, 2011

220 odd kms.

ETA Kanha: Sometime in the evening

Stay at Motel Chandan

Gypsy safari on 19th Morning/Evening, 20th Morning & 21st Morning

ETD Kanha: Around 12 noon on 18th Apr, 2011

200 odd kms.

ETA Jabalpur: Sometime in the evening

Proposed overnight stay. Visit to Bedaghat & Dhuandhar Falls on 22nd April, 2011

ETD Jabalpur: Sometime in the early morning of 23rd April, 2011

ETA Gurgaon: Sometime late in the evening

Last edited by Eddy : 1st April 2011 at 22:58. Reason: Corrected typo