Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2011, 16:14   #76
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Wonderful write up. 5 stars for your write up, another 5 stars for your photography (i loved the capture of gaurs crossing & trying to climb - amazing!) & 5 stars for the love of your car! Almost all pictures had 336!!. Guess - it's part of your family now!! Good job!

Few queries;

1) Curious to know why you chose Civic over Swift for such a road condition considering the GC?

2) What's the kind of mileage you got in this section....keeping aside the highway ride?

3) Could you post the full route map from Bangalore to Bangalore? Guess - this will be useful for folks like me who started to venture out!!

Thanks for this wonderful travelogue & looking forward to the pictures/ writeup of vagamon trip holidays!

P.S: A TBHP sticker would have looked great on your 336!!

Thanks mahesh for the stars

Regarding 336, My door number is 336, my land line ends with 336, my mobile number ends with 336, and my civvy is 336. So 336 is much more now

To answer your queries

1) While I booked Gavi for the holidays, I had called up vallakadavu checkpost and enquired about my possibility of taking that route. They had mentioned that it would not be likely that the other checkposts will allow me to pass through. Further on checking with KFDC office they had also said it is not worth the trouble. So I was pretty much decided that I'd be back at Vandiperiayaar and on to Vagamon doing some sight seeing at kuttikkanam.

But while at Gavi, when I had been talking to Mr. Varghese and his father in law, they said those days some vehicles are coming from the Angamoozhy side. I had asked him if he can come with me, and he readily agreed.

So Civic got the chance to do the trip. But I must say the GC issue of Civic is very much overhyped. With reasonable care for her, she did it through.

2) For this section alone I have no idea. I normally get an over all of 11kmpl for my trips with all the mix. The best I had ever was 14kmpl and the worst 9kmpl. In Bangalore she consistantly gives 12kmpl.

3) I'll post that for you again. I have posted the entire trip GPS log on the Parambikulam log already.

Dont know when I can start with Vagamon log. To say about it Poovar, Goa, Munnar, etc are pending still

I already have 3 stickers on the car. LCLC and I drive safe is on the rear bumper.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 16:20   #77
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Great documentation !!

This drive is beautiful and refreshing !

I have been enjoying this bounty ( the drive ) for so many years now and hope we sustain the greenery for long .

Keep up the great work and enjoy your journeys .

Cheers !
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 16:26   #78
BHPian
 
maheshramaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Bangalore or Bengaluru!!
Posts: 277
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

336 - says it all!! In this road if you say GC was managable with Civic - I am relived now & can comfortably take my Laura...may be one day - I will.

I am just reading your other TL (Civved : Parambikulam, Gavi, Vagamon via Thekkady & Valparai) & got the entire route map. thanks for that.

On Stickers - apologies, didn't notice them in the pics!!

Great going & will look forward for your next thread!
maheshramaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 16:46   #79
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Great documentation !!

This drive is beautiful and refreshing !

I have been enjoying this bounty ( the drive ) for so many years now and hope we sustain the greenery for long .

Keep up the great work and enjoy your journeys .

Cheers !
Thanks slalom. Hope the place stays green. Heard Gavi is going to get Tiger Reserve Status. Then it sure will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
In this road if you say GC was managable with Civic - I am relived now & can comfortably take my Laura...may be one day - I will.
It rained on for another three months there. Dont know what is the current state.

For visiting gavi Vandiperiyar to Gavi is the best and shortest with 24Km. the other route will exit at Angamoozhi and if you are only travelling further down south it makes sense. Budget ample time. 10Km per hour with bad roads and natural beauty would be the minimum I guess. The bus takes 5+ hours in this route to reach Kumily from Pathanamthitta as per another log.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 19:45   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,088
Thanked: 586 Times
Default Re: GPS Log and Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The GPS log of the trip from Thekkady to Gavi and from Gavi to Kuttikkanam.

Attachment 513081




The map for an idea of the location and route.
Attachment 513082
Lovely travelogue and pics, Lalu ! Certainly an inspiration to go visit these rarely trodden places..

Curious about one portion of that GPS trace. You seemed to have gone about 20 kms off NH220 towards south-east somewhere around Peermade (The deviation to the right after Mundakkayam-Kuttikkanam-Peermade), but this finds no mention in your narratives (nor is the road marked in GM or OSM). Which place was this ??
kala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 20:07   #81
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: GPS Log and Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
Lovely travelogue and pics, Lalu ! Certainly an inspiration to go visit these rarely trodden places..

Curious about one portion of that GPS trace. You seemed to have gone about 20 kms off NH220 towards south-east somewhere around Peermade (The deviation to the right after Mundakkayam-Kuttikkanam-Peermade), but this finds no mention in your narratives (nor is the road marked in GM or OSM). Which place was this ??
Thanks Kala.

Good question.

Infact I should have removed the Kuttikanam to that place log from the GPS trail. That place is Parunthupara. That was a part of the return trip from Vagamon. I'll put that up in the Vagamon log
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 21:21   #82
BHPian
 
Soccerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Kochi
Posts: 591
Thanked: 54 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

As always great travelogue lalu. brought back the memories of the gavi trip that i did back in 2009. wish we could stay in Gavi atleast for a day at that time
Soccerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 23:06   #83
Newbie
 
iMathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Wow laluks ! That was an AWESOME thread. Enjoyed reading each and every word you penned down, and the photos you posted. Simply awesome! A friend of mine tried to go there 2 weeks back, but he had to return half way because of Really HEAVY rains. Looks like he missed out on a lot. After reading this he's more determined than ever and we're planning to hit GAVI sometime at the end of March. 5 stars for an awesome thread
iMathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 06:52   #84
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
As always great travelogue lalu. brought back the memories of the gavi trip that i did back in 2009. wish we could stay in Gavi atleast for a day at that time
Thanks Soccerfan for finding this place out

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMathan View Post
Wow laluks ! That was an AWESOME thread. Enjoyed reading each and every word you penned down, and the photos you posted. Simply awesome! A friend of mine tried to go there 2 weeks back, but he had to return half way because of Really HEAVY rains. Looks like he missed out on a lot. After reading this he's more determined than ever and we're planning to hit GAVI sometime at the end of March. 5 stars for an awesome thread
Thanks iMathan for the stars
Still raining?
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 14:15   #85
BHPian
 
nagarjun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 62
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Amazing thread with great photographs. Did the Ooty trip after going through your thread and was thinking of a trip to Kerala, so one more place to consider for the trip and thanks for all the information provided. Just need to read the thread again and yes Google is not required
nagarjun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 19:46   #86
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagarjun View Post
Amazing thread with great photographs. Did the Ooty trip after going through your thread and was thinking of a trip to Kerala, so one more place to consider for the trip and thanks for all the information provided. Just need to read the thread again and yes Google is not required
Thanks nagarjun.
Loved the google part .
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:50   #87
BHPian
 
Funda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 153
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Loved the greenery. I have a bad experience of Kerala Roads. There are too many pot holes on the road. People say its very hard for some one out of Kerala to drive there. Is it so?
Funda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 06:58   #88
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
Loved the greenery. I have a bad experience of Kerala Roads. There are too many pot holes on the road. People say its very hard for some one out of Kerala to drive there. Is it so?
That would be a generalisation.

The arterial roads and highways were good. Now I am "told" the Japan drinking water projects have dug up many places.

The roads I have taken this time, except Gavi to Angamoozhy, were in good conditions, and could maintain decent speeds.

On the highways watch out for pedestrians crossing, two wheelers and Buses as you would do any where else.
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 07:54   #89
Senior - BHPian
 
pjbiju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Karamattom, Aluva, Kotagiri, Yercaud, Hospet, Indore, Nashik, Pune (now)
Posts: 1,176
Thanked: 456 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

As usual great travelogue and great pictures Lalu. You seem to find so many great places in Kerala that I have never been to (and some that I have not even heard of like this one). One more reason for wifey to tell me, you have not taken me around Kerala at all.
pjbiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 13:31   #90
Distinguished - BHPian
 
laluks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 5,753
Thanked: 6,799 Times
Default Re: Civved : Gavi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
As usual great travelogue and great pictures Lalu. You seem to find so many great places in Kerala that I have never been to (and some that I have not even heard of like this one). One more reason for wifey to tell me, you have not taken me around Kerala at all.
Thanks biju.
So one more reason for you to hit Kerala soon
laluks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A Greener Weekend in an unexplored forest - GAVI, Kerala trtraj Travelogues 39 14th July 2013 09:14
Civved : Parambikulam, Gavi, Vagamon via Thekkady & Valparai laluks Travelogues 311 6th March 2013 23:20
Thekkady - Gavi Trip Query Speed-Gladiator Route / Travel Queries 13 4th March 2013 12:27
Kochi - Gavi - Kodaikanal - Kochi jas_mirage Route / Travel Queries 10 27th September 2011 00:03
Gavi Soccerfan Travelogues 30 20th October 2010 12:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks