Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 8th March 2011, 23:15   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Desert Storm 2011 - A competitor's log

Wow man you have way with words. I bet S..... was having equally big knot inside her but she would be smiling outwardly. You two are much the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonk View Post
....Official rules state that they had to tow the car to the nearest tarmac and get us to the hotel where rally was staying. Towed, and nearest tarmac happened to be just 3km away in the middle of nowhere......
Actually they are only obliged to get the crew to safe place nearby from where you can organise a rescue of vehicle .... or take you to the next night halt.

Last edited by sudev : 8th March 2011 at 23:24.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:26   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
That is amazing account of your rally till now.
Thanks Sudev

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
oldmonk,thats some amazing writeup.I am sure you would have had a amazing experience participating too!.you surely know how to tell a movie in words! glued to your thread.
Thanks Sagar. Yes, it was an amazing experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
This is some good insight into the Dessert Storm. Never knew it was so much fun/so difficult (my perspective). Great going oldmonk.
Thanks Biju. I think driving is sounding difficult only because I narrated it. I'd had no serious non-tarmac experience before DS..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
That's great news oldmonk.
Thanks again Fordmanchau

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Oldmonk,

Superb write up. It felt like I am on the wheels.

Your write up 0f interactions with the female navigator really took me bcak to the mid 1980s to the K 1000 Rally down south. I was driving a rally car which was also the service vehicle for my friends bike (he was one of the leading rally riders those days) with his GF as my Navigator.

I fully second your thoughts on the "pee" incident as I too have been a victim of this

OM, your style is really addictive. May be its the "name" which is causing it (not that I am addicted to that)

Keep it coming

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks Ram. Obviously, since the log is from my POV I would never tell you how many times I had to stop and pee in the middle of a stage -

Quote:
Even though I knew where it is going your writing still had me enthralled as if I was there in car with you. Great writing.
Thanks again, Sudev. Your post in my GV thread inspired it, otherwise I had no intention of writing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshramaling View Post
Great narration & absolute thriller to read this.

All the best for your next one!
Thanks Mahesh. If there's another one..

Quote:
Wow man you have way with words. I bet S..... was having equally big knot inside her but she would be smiling outwardly. You two are much the same.
Thanks again..
oldmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:28   #33
BHPian

(XIII)

Both wife and I had a wonderful time at Desert Storm. Organization was brilliant, people were warm, and except for the car mishap, our entire stay was memorable.

Most (90%?) of our competitive sections were in closed stages - usually in the same special stages where extreme cars raced. Even though TSD is a "navigator's rally", the way DS is structured, it's pretty challenging for the driver too.

The biggest takeaway for me from Desert Storm is that I should get to know my car better. It was pathetic that I couldn't diagnose the problem or have the spare part. Looking back, if I had a spare belt, we could have easily towed the car back to Jaisalmer, gotten any of the service teams' mechanics to replace it, and rejoined the rally next day.

So, will I do another TSD rally? Probably not. It's been a week since we're back and wife is pretty sure that she doesn't want to do it again.

And I know I won't do another rally without her navigating - it just wouldn't be this much fun!

--end
oldmonk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

oh!! I 'd never imagined that it would end like this . I still had hope after your third long post.
It must be the stress in the first attempt that must be stopping your wife to say YES again. Give yourself a year or two and probably you guys would jump at it again. Till that time, you can get to know your car better .
But the experience must have been worthwhile. Cheer up man!! you atleast have experienced what we all yearn to and that too in the agreement and esteemed company of your better half .
Are more details on the offing ?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2011, 23:37   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Are more details on the offing ?
Nope, this is it! Will update thread with costs involved later..
Old 8th March 2011, 23:38   #36
Team-BHP Support

Wonderful, thrilling and entertaining! What more can I say.

I think breakdown was one aspect you didn't prepare for, next time, I don't think you will forget that.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 00:43   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Wonderful, thrilling and entertaining! What more can I say.
Thanks Samurai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I think breakdown was one aspect you didn't prepare for, next time, I don't think you will forget that.
You can say that again!
Old 9th March 2011, 00:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Actually they are only obliged to get the crew to safe place nearby from where you can organise a rescue of vehicle .... or take you to the next night halt.
That's worse than what I assumed - I obviously owe a lot to the sweep party (caught only Ranjan and Vikram's names from the group) for towing the car to the highway.
Old 9th March 2011, 01:32   #39
Senior - BHPian

It took me about 3 days to read all these pages with your posts back to back. Well not in total length, but whenever I got the time ;-)

It was like reading a fiction novel or something similar probably from Matthew Reilly. There is another author, but I cant recollect. Now I generally do not like reading, if they are not accompanies by posts, but this one, after the first two posts kept me hooked

Keep it coming, and just because we are throwing accolades, does not mean you skip on the pics ;-)
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 07:05   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

A bit of perspective from "Control" from that fateful night:

OM was one of the few competitors who did everything by the book. Phoned in the CRO with exact location on road book where the car had broken down so that we knew where they were and "rescue" them easily at the time of sweep.

In the same stage a Gypsy had rolled and the navigator had few cuts and scratches on his hand. So that "rescue" took priority and OM had to wait longer for "rescue".

Was this the place on road book that you went off the tracK? Instruction #447 Ninety Left?
Name:  Screenshot12.png
Views: 835
Size:  70.9 KB

Quote:
That's worse than what I assumed - I obviously owe a lot to the sweep party (caught only Ranjan and Vikram's names from the group) for towing the car to the highway.
The event is taxing on the volunteer officials but amazingly they come to help run it year after year. Like all volunteer Ranjan and Vikram had duties to attend to "early" next day but when in charge of sweep they have to make sure every one is accounted for. "Early" in Desert Storm parlance means typically 0400hrs every day. Smiling Ranjan Da at the scrutinee:
Name:  184740_10150414227435455_652305454_17433929_5613642_n.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  115.6 KB

Another perspective:
OM has very casually mentioned his standings in the rally but believe me it was no mean feat to be within touching distance of the top three teams - which had professional paid navigators to race. And for first timers. The final winner in this category had just one second difference with the runners up at end of 3000 odd kilometres spread over six days of intense competition!! Look up the two "official" side story threads on the forums for more.

Great going and inspiring read.

Last edited by sudev : 9th March 2011 at 07:20.
Old 9th March 2011, 07:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
It took me about 3 days to read all these pages with your posts back to back......
Perhaps you are catching some other dream sir. OldMonk started and ended the narration yesterday itself.
Old 9th March 2011, 09:28   #42
BHPian

I remember you telling me when we met last that you do many trips/treks and finds it difficult to write about it . I need to tell you that you could really generate the excitement and emotions for your reader . Its difficult to pull it off normally as what people looks into are for pictures.
Congratz on the performance and Wishing luck for the next Storm!

-
Rajesh M
rajesh1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 11:07   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
[snip] after the first two posts kept me hooked [snip]
Thanks dreamcatcher.

Quote:
Perhaps you are catching some other dream sir. OldMonk started and ended the narration yesterday itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I remember you telling me when we met last that you do many trips/treks and finds it difficult to write about it . I need to tell you that you could really generate the excitement and emotions for your reader . Its difficult to pull it off normally as what people looks into are for pictures.
Congratz on the performance and Wishing luck for the next Storm!

-
Rajesh M
Rajesh!! Thank you very much. Treks weren't this emotionally draining I guess. Felt better to write about it and get it off my chest.

And trek reports probably wouldn't have been this exciting.. Though I can write 'summit assault', I know it's not an assault but a desperate crawl on all fours to reach the summit!

Quote:
In the same stage a Gypsy had rolled and the navigator had few cuts and scratches on his hand.
Looking back, it wasn't one of the officials but a competitior from this Gypsy who pulled out the broken belt. We had met them just outside the stage. Probably there was an ambulance there too? Don't remember now.

Quote:
Was this the place on road book that you went off the tracK? Instruction #447 Ninety Left?
No.. 633.08. Going through the road book now, left doesn't look that acute. Don't have GPS track to compare, but I guess it would have been sharper on the track. More than 50% of the cars had missed this left and come straight. Also think they missed the instruction comment "Leave Track: OT"

Thanks for the road book scan!

Quote:
The event is taxing on the volunteer officials but amazingly they come to help run it year after year.
I'm sure.

Yes, that's Ranjan's picture. And an eerie coincidence, during my last year's road trip, I had seen his black GV (the same one that rescued us) on the road between Delhi and Haridwar! It was hard to miss, black looks lovely on a GV. It also had Northern Motorsport stickers, and the driver was driving like an 'old rally driver fighting withdrawal'

Quote:
OM has very casually mentioned his standings in the rally but believe me it was no mean feat to be within touching distance of the top three teams - which had professional paid navigators to race. And for first timers.
Thanks Sudev. It means a LOT coming from you!
Old 9th March 2011, 11:56   #44
Team-BHP Support

Awesome log. Too bad you had a fan belt failure. Its really disappointing to have a part fail where you were not expecting any failure. Any cause of failure or anything?
that said, it takes a lot of courage to undertake something like this. Hopefully, someday I will do this in an out of warranty vehicle. Till then I will read narratives like yours
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 12:33   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Hrishi. Just checked the results, you guys were 4th! Congrats!!

Thanks Fordmanchau.
Thank you OldMonk! We were lucky!
ihrishi is offline   Reply With Quote