Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Travelogues

Old 18th March 2011, 20:22   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra

Funda,
A nice tour of the rain forest, a place I have never been. Can literally feel the weather in your photographs. Looking forward to more from inland.

Dr. Ghosh,
Amazing shots, especially of the 'natures infinity pool'.
regards,
fazalaliadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:14   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn_i20 View Post
Excellent photography Dr Ghosh. The above one is my favourite as well.

I also have this wild desire of clicking snakes, but never got a chance :(

that was an amazing pic, hats off for the pic. more to go Doc.
joshuakeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 00:27   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardus View Post
@ Funda: A trip from Chennai coastline to Agumbe's rainforest is an must have been a totally wild experience. Your thread title took me back in history and reminded me of my various adventerous and photgraphy trips. Though I have not managed to see KC in wild I had some nice and bad experiences in the forests including being targetted as "Naxal" and escaping from a group of roughue police folks.

ARRS is the best place to stay and experience the surroundings and learn in depth about the rich biodiversity.

@ Dr.Abheek Ghosh: Stunning pic's. I like the crab the most. Did you manage to see Tarantula spiders?

For those of you who have not experienced the Leeches, the following images should give you an idea.

Can u wrte up your story as well,Seems intresting & thrilling as well.
Old 19th March 2011, 12:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Funda,
A nice tour of the rain forest, a place I have never been. Can literally feel the weather in your photographs. Looking forward to more from inland.

Dr. Ghosh,
regards,
Thank you sir.
I plan to do a poper writeup on my agumbe visit from last year when I have some free time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuakeys View Post
that was an amazing pic, hats off for the pic. more to go Doc.
Thank you. will share some more soon.

Dr. A Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 18:35   #35
BHPian

After enjoying our first view of the clouds and the wet weather we head towards Aagumbe unaware of what was awaiting us. After driving for hardly a km or two the visibility the was totally blocked. I could hardly see 5 mts of road in front of me. We were inside the clouds - Yeppie. But while every one was enjoying I immediately switched on the hazard lights, headlight and the newly installed fog lights on my waggy and started moving ahead real slow with some honking. atleast people should be able to see something flashing or hear me atleast. It was thrilling but I must admit, I was scared to. I was so conscious that I started sweating inside the AC cabin. But I bet the view and the experience was mind blowing. All of were silent just wowing at the cloud. We reach the aagumbe bus stop and it starts raining heavily, a rain that we all missed after coming out of our college. We went to the general store and managed to speak some broken Kannada just for the sake of speaking in Kannada and remembering those college days.W inquire about the places to eat, that's a must. The most important part of my road trips is eating at regular intervals. After all we need energy to sit and talk and argue you see. There was only one place called Malya residency (not a relative of Mr. Vijay Malya). The owner was a very friendly person and said that he has only one room for us and that he would arrange extra beds for the other two in the same room. We just wanted some shelter, did not care how it was. The room was more than clean and was much better than what we expected. There was so much moisture in the room that everything seemed wet. The bed sheet, the floor the tea table everything. We freshen up and then go for a walk. The first thing we do is buy four umbrellas. I guess we were the only tourists in aagumbe when we visited apart from a couple who stayed in the room opposite to ours. The next two days went roaming around aimlessly over and over in the same places.I guess we explored every corner of the village except the rain forests. We were scared to venture in. Next day morning me and my friend Murali wake up early around 5:30- 6:00 AM and go around the place taking pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-027.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-029.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-030.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-031.jpg  

Funda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2011, 18:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Funda,

Dr. Ghosh,
regards,
Thanks a Lot sir. I get some more clouds to the TBHP travelogues as soon as I get a breath. Some more write up and pictures should follow soon.
Old 20th March 2011, 03:53   #37
BHPian

@Funda can you please provide the road map for this place from Hyderabad?
Old 20th March 2011, 11:48   #38
BHPian

Quote:
@Funda can you please provide the road map for this place from Hyderabad?
Hey Joshuakeys - I am uploading the map I took. There is small patch of the highway between Guntakal and Belary which is horrible, but never mind get down from the highway and take the barren fields they are much better and safer for your vehicle. Nothing has changed over the years. My friend from Belary said its still no good. The patch is around 2-3 kms if I remember correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-map-large.png  

Old 20th March 2011, 16:14   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

The "King Cobra" in the thread title was what brought me initially to this thread. But on reading in the initial posts that there were not to be KC snaps, I left the thread, only to come back to see the nice pics of the pit-viper and the green snake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
BTW I had a narrow escape with a K.C strike a couple of years back, but the story is best told in another thread
The King being so elusive, it sure is interesting to know that you were in striking range and escaped. Please share the story. If you think it would be OT on this thread, you could post on the tbhp-thread dedicated to snakes.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...snakes-31.html (Snakes!)

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 20th March 2011 at 16:24.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011, 22:02   #40
BHPian

While me and Murali were roaming around the other two lazy bones were happily sleeping in the room. We were so excited with the surroundings that we went to the room to wake them up. They join us and we head towards the Sunrise / Sunset point. As you can guess with so much of clouds where would we get to see the Sun? I also saw a Malabar squirrel, but could not shoot the animal because I wanted to show them to my friends. Stupid guys they never trusted me until I sweared, but by then the animal was gone and they could only see the tail. There was nothing much we did at Aagumbe other than enjoying the weather. So I can spare from the boring stories, I blabber. Enjoy the weather and fell the wetness while I return with some more pictures. The same place looked so different at different time of the day. Sometimes within a matter of minutes. Freshness everywhere. I dont have words to describe most of them just enjoy them. The next set of clicks coming soon. And by any chance if you feel this is all the clouds Aagumbe has offer, go grab a towel and stay dry.
Attached Thumbnails
Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-033.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-034.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-035.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-036.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-037.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-038.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-039.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-040.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-041.jpg  

Tresspassing into the capital of King Cobra-aagumbe-042.jpg  

Old 21st March 2011, 03:25   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funda View Post
Hey Joshuakeys - I am uploading the map I took. There is small patch of the highway between Guntakal and Belary which is horrible, but never mind get down from the highway and take the barren fields they are much better and safer for your vehicle. Nothing has changed over the years. My friend from Belary said its still no good. The patch is around 2-3 kms if I remember correctly.
Thanks for the road map, Just wanted to know, whats the distance from hyderabad? Is may the right month to go to this place?
Old 21st March 2011, 09:40   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the road map, Just wanted to know, whats the distance from hyderabad? Is may the right month to go to this place?
The distance is around 760kms from hyderabad. The road conditions are very good except the 2-3 km Guntakal bellary stretch so you can make it in 10-11 hrs max with sufficient pit stops. Depends on what you want to do there. If you want to venture into the jungles May is better. If you just want to enjoy the clouds and vision block, the months of June-July and August would be better. Aagumbe I guess would be receiving rains from early April all the way till October.
Old 21st March 2011, 13:22   #43
BHPian

Funda, excellent pics and narration! Didnt you visit the 'Malgudi days' house while in Agumbe? The owner, Kasturi-akka has retained the old charm of the house and has converted it into a part time motel for travellers. Might i add, she serves excellent local delicacies. Worth a visit!

Quote:
Josh, from Hyd the best route would be via Raichur-Hospet-Shimoga-Agumbe (Google Link). The Gooty-Guntakal-Bellary strech of NH 69 is best avoided. If you still want to go via Bellary, turn off at Kurnool and take the 'Moka Road' and head to Bellary via Kodumur (Google Link). I did the Jog-Agumbe-Hampi circuit in July 2010 and here is the TL: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...mpt-ruins.html (Foggy Jog, sweet pineapples, a few leeches and unkempt ruins!)

Summers, i guess would be the best season as there would not be much rainfall, which inturn means less Leeches!

Last edited by ExtremeTorque : 21st March 2011 at 13:24. Reason: added url to my TL
ExtremeTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 17:39   #44
BANNED

Funda - Excellent snaps, will be great if you include captions and some details for each snaps. Is April/May a good time to go there if you plan to enjoy the rains?
gadadhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011, 22:48   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
Funda, excellent pics and narration! Didnt you visit the 'Malgudi days' house while in Agumbe? The owner, Kasturi-akka has retained the old charm of the house and has converted it into a part time motel for travellers. Might i add, she serves excellent local delicacies. Worth a visit!!

Aah I missed the food. As I said it was a arbit trip. Just for the sake of driving as our hands and legs were itching for a long drive.. All I did was wandering in the 2 km long main road, 10 times a day and clicking the same places every 10-15 minutes. I had more than enough to call it a trip. will definitely visit aunty's place next time.